Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storytelling methods of Cataclysm

2»

Comments

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by Rydeson

Originally posted by Axehilt

Originally posted by ReallyNow10

With phasing combined into quests, you are locked out of content, indeed invisible to other players, unless you follow the story.

I think much of the WOW dev department knows a whole lot about coding, but not jack about RPG's and what a truly massively multiplayer world could and should be.

You might be taken more seriously if you just outright stated, "I have niche tastes and want games to cater to my niche tastes."

...instead of trying to insult what's pretty blatantly a proven, effective gameplay formula that millions of players enjoy.

Apart from which, you have the choice between multiple zones at any point during the leveling process.  (Not to mention dungeons and mob grinding.)  So yes, you do have choice.

Yes you do have to follow the storyline if you are to unlock parts of the game..  Now I cant' speak for Cataclysm but I do know of fact that if you failed to follow the breadcrums in Icecrown and Storm Peaks, you're screwed..  Storyline phasing is a royal pain. I think I heard about people trying to "escape" the newbie zones of the Worgen and Goblins.. Are you aware that it's impossible to even be summoned OUT of the starting zone unless you do the manditory questline.... Where is my choice to say NO, I will not go gentle into the night?

I enjoyed that questing the first time around. But what it did was kill any desire of mine to level any alts. And since I despise the end game that Wow has, leveling alts was all that was left for me. So pretty much this game design killed it for me. It was a good run, had a lot of fun, and I will miss all of the friends I made in game, but its time is past.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

With phasing combined into quests, you are locked out of content, indeed invisible to other players, unless you follow the story.

I think much of the WOW dev department knows a whole lot about coding, but not jack about RPG's and what a truly massively multiplayer world could and should be.

You might be taken more seriously if you just outright stated, "I have niche tastes and want games to cater to my niche tastes."

...instead of trying to insult what's pretty blatantly a proven, effective gameplay formula that millions of players enjoy.

Apart from which, you have the choice between multiple zones at any point during the leveling process.  (Not to mention dungeons and mob grinding.)  So yes, you do have choice.

Yes you do have to follow the storyline if you are to unlock parts of the game..  Now I cant' speak for Cataclysm but I do know of fact that if you failed to follow the breadcrums in Icecrown and Storm Peaks, you're screwed..  Storyline phasing is a royal pain. I think I heard about people trying to "escape" the newbie zones of the Worgen and Goblins.. Are you aware that it's impossible to even be summoned OUT of the starting zone unless you do the manditory questline.... Where is my choice to say NO, I will not go gentle into the night?

Are you seriously having a fit of righteous indignation over having to go through the newbie zone?  Guild Wars 1 had the zone thing...you HAD to go through pre-searing, no ifs ands or buts about it.

I know it can be a little annoying, but seriously, you can finish the newbie zone in like 3-4 hours and then you're free to do whatever you want.  Personally, I think the worgen one is kind of cool.  Wouldn't you want an explanation for why there is an entire nation of cursed werewolves that have retained their humanity?

I could see an argument for the whole game being too linear, but the newbie zones are really not a big deal.  They are so short, and compose such a small percentage of the time you will spend in game that having to do them is really minimal.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by Creslin321

Are you seriously having a fit of righteous indignation over having to go through the newbie zone?  Guild Wars 1 had the zone thing...you HAD to go through pre-searing, no ifs ands or buts about it.

I know it can be a little annoying, but seriously, you can finish the newbie zone in like 3-4 hours and then you're free to do whatever you want.  Personally, I think the worgen one is kind of cool.  Wouldn't you want an explanation for why there is an entire nation of cursed werewolves that have retained their humanity?

I could see an argument for the whole game being too linear, but the newbie zones are really not a big deal.  They are so short, and compose such a small percentage of the time you will spend in game that having to do them is really minimal.

I have to agree with Rydeson on this.  I always liked WoW for letting me mix-and-match content as I progressed.  Thus any parts of the game that locked me out of other content were undesirable.   It was the main reason why I liked that they took out attunements.  They were fun when done once but doing them on every alt was just boring.   In WotLK I hated having to unlock Sons of Hodir for the third time and was glad they made it unnecessary to get the shoulder enchants for an alt. 

In Cata, the first underwater zone was fun but I really do not see myselft running it again for my other characters.