Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Do Players Want?

Comments

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Originally posted by Hikarusai

Originally posted by wisesquirrel

I want a game that is not ripping off large pieces of other games.

I want X's combat with Y's community and Z's PVP.

I'd rather see a new approach.

Statements 1 and 3 agree with each other.  Statement 2 is a direct contradiction of both.

Thats probably because he forgot to put a "not" into Statement 2, which otherwise wouldnt make much sense anyway ...

Originally posted by dooney

A medieval MMORPG without magic.

For the record, I would machinegun any such game and put a spell on my computer that makes it impossible to install such a pit of evil on it.

Originally posted by exwin

I want what Wow was in 2005. Something new, different, fresh.

WoW was anything but new, different, or fresh.

It was and is nothing but a fairly solid implementation of concepts known before, combined with amazingly good advertisement.

But I am not aware of a single thing that WoW invented.

Well, other than the "WoW-fanboi" and the "WoW-killer" - Mania, but both arent exactly inventions I like.

• mainvein33mainvein33 Member Posts: 406

Originally posted by jpnz

As a game or MMO?

For me, the whole 'MMO' 'WoW clone' issue is this.

If it is similar to WoW, why would I play that when I already have WoW (it is had WoW now)?

If it is not similar to WoW, why would I play that when I already have Just Cause2, NFS, CIV, BFBC2 etc?

I am getting what I want in KOTOR3 (SWTOR) though. :)

lol this is mmorpg.com so I meant MMO exclusively. This is off topic but I get all I want out of console games though I dont recognize all the abreviations but I will assume those are mostly console titles save SWTOR.

Originally posted by Sovrath

I suppose as I've just stated on another thread, a mixure of Neverwinter nights and morrowind.

I want a full beautiful world with things to discover, extensive dungeons, temples, etc to explore, a siege system like Lineage 2 though the game doesn't have to be full pvp, I just like sieging, a lot of character customization, things to do other than questing and grinding, dynamic events though doesn't have to be all the time. [...]

Uh ... Elder Scrolls is already very much a "Single Player MMO" anyway.

So what you want is Neverwinter Nights Online.

Or more precisely a Forgotten Realms Online, because thats what Neverwinter Nights would expand to, if you would give it the world size of Elder Scrolls.

Anyway, thats already describing very well the direction my personal ideal MMO would be ... a huge world to explore, the complex, powerful magic system of DnD, and even some sandbox elements, like housing and castle sieges.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by mainvein33

As a game or MMO?

If it is similar to WoW, why would I play that when I already have WoW (it is had WoW now)?

If it is not similar to WoW, why would I play that when I already have Just Cause2, NFS, CIV, BFBC2 etc?

lol this is mmorpg.com so I meant MMO exclusively. This is off topic but I get all I want out of console games though I dont recognize all the abreviations but I will assume those are mostly console titles save SWTOR.

Some are also on console but they are all on PC.

Esp CIV=civiliazation. :P

For an MMO

A world that I am not too unfamiliar with but still want to know more.

A good story/char

A game that I can talk with my RL friends and know they'll enjoy it or they know about it (why all my other trials of other non-WoW MMOs failed)

Also, what people want and what people buy are two completely different things. Ask anyone in marketing. :)

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by Aganazer

What players complain about and what they ask for are completely different than what they want.

Thats what I said about Darkfall, but to my surprise there are now fanbois of Darkfall around.

I only once visited the game forums there and was utterly disgusted. All those people discussed was how to get enough CON for PvP fast. Ugh. No thank you. I really dont want to play such a game.

• VazertVazert Member Posts: 60

Here is what I am looking for in a game.

-true multiclass system

-original SWG style crafting system

-rich story line that sucks me in

-increased guild functionality with DKP system built in

-instanced housing that allows for high level of customization

-has an efficient and effective way to handle gold spammers

-faction system that is intigrated well with both pve and pvp

-a chalenge most are way too easy or have been dumbed down

-a clean launch

- finished product

Most importantly a miracle because none of the above will be found all in one place any time soon.

*edit added an item to the list

• WhitebladeWhiteblade Member Posts: 10

This is an easy one. List of things I want to see:

-More emphasis on exploration, Guild Wars 1 let you explore almost anything without having to grind the mobs for hours to be strong enough to move into the next area.

-Less grinding, I have never gotten a character in a 'normal' mmo past half way to the level cap because it drives me nuts having to do 100 fetch quests because it somehow makes me stronger.

-Teamwork that isn't forced, just meet some buddies on the field of battle instead of being forced to group or fight over a boss and his spawns.

-Get rid of this notion of DPS/Heal/Tank, I like playing hybrid classes because being stuck in one role is no fun.

-A storyline of some sort, not asking for a Planescape Torment here but a story gives reason for the exploration mentioned earlier and helps flesh out the world.

-Make quest dialog more interesting, I don't care if some dude is lazy and doesn't want to go pick up wood. I'm a hero, not an errand boy.

-Get rid of mundane tasks, does anyone have fun with these? I know that I don't.

-Cut down on the skills, I never understood why the classes in 'normal' mmos need to have like 50 skills on the bar at all times. I loved the Warden in Lotro because it was a few skills but used in many many possible ways.

-Make leveling the emphasis, I quite franky don't care about end game and want to have fun leveling my characters and experiencing the world.

Is it surprising I'm looking forward to Guild Wars 2? The first game is the closest to what I want from an MMO even though it isn't an MMO, go figure that one.

• legshotlegshot Member Posts: 59

well when i was searching for a new MMO most of the things i saw was

challenge

crafting that ment something

pve

pvp

full loot pvp (this also leads to crafting being important and needed)

the problem is a game always focuses on one thing and most are pve, the crafting is there but even if it did mean something for first 6 months of the game release, pve items take over.

DECENT pvp games (guild wars, eve, darkfall are a few) are hard to find but other parts of the game people don't like or it's missing pve or something someone else wants.

myself i'd like to see agame that has a quest system like guild wars, long quests when you finally get to the end you get ton of exp, meaning it's worth it and you don't end up grinding 100k quests. at the same time there would need to be some sort of daily quest, alot of people like dailys, logging in doing it and getting some sort of reward that you only get once per day such as a token or points.

crafting system itself would matter, now this is hard to do, making the crafting matter means making everything player made which is fine infact thats perfect, but the problem is, leveling up those crafting skills. to hard and only very few people get max level and everyone whines its a grind, to easy and people whine "whats the point, everyone can make everything".

needs to be some sort of inbetween, such as leveling at first is pretty easy but later on, when the REAL decent gear is makeable thats when it should become hard, meaning only those who really enjoy crafting get to max level and those who love to grind also do.

dungeons and outside instances (monsters that are hard and need a group) i say outside instances because my perfect game would be full loot pvp FFA, meaning those outside instances would create hotspots for pvp and also that chance of being attacked while doing the instance BUT also dungeons itself to create something for a time when you'd rather not want to pvp but just slaughter a goblin or something.

no complete items, everything that is dropped or sold by NPC would only be materials and never complete items, this also means crafting is then made stronger and a much needed thing in the game, at the same time it removes that "oddness" of a demon dropping a token which allows you to buy that gear upgrade (yea wtf?). this idea is kind of taken from monster hunter, everything would drop materials such as skins, bones, blood everything you could think of, would then need the player to put sometime into turning those raw materials into crafting things ready to make the complete item such as you do with iron > to metal bar > to finished product.

player driven ECO, one of the best systems is from eve, making it so players items are held in that certain location and unacessable without going there is great idea. It greats all sorts of things such as hiring people to carry you stuff to certain locations on the auction house having diffrent prices to somewhere else, just because that location is for a diffrent "race". so for example one race in eve uses projectile weapons and needs that ammo, going to there main region you'll see prices for the ammo they use is pretty high compared to if you went to another location, this would have to be in my perfect game.

pvp, full loot pvp, can't get enough of it some hate it some love it, IMO it's perfect and creates a challenge in the game, finally got that iron armor? now you lose it, BUT you then relise you prefer crafting and just go along and remake that set you just lost. FFA pvp, again, why should a race be stopped from attacking its own? this would then turn into clans/guilds ect recruting any race without any restrictions.

control over certain area, would be awesome, linked into the pvp system players can take control of certain area and build citys ect (much like in darkfall). Then also other areas for materials like ores, monster spawns or a spawn or something near a instance you want to farm. alot of the map could be controlled by players, meaning you step into there area, you're more than likly going to get attacked. this would also be linked into the ecom, since all items ect you have in your bank can only be accessed where you deposited it, traveling across enemy territory could create trade routes, buy something from a dangerous area because that area is held by a top guild and resell that product for a profit. this would mean not all auction houses are linked and would create trade routes.

some sort of instances pvp like battlegrounds and arena. arena would be the serious business stuff, made for certain setups like 2v2 5v5 and guild vs guild, this would give rankings to show whos the top players, the rewards would be some sort of "skins" for weapons or cloaks ect, they wouldn't change stats but just look, meaning gear wouldn't be "omfg i lost cos he haz bigger weapon" but would be purly for cosmetics. you can still see whos the top players on the server but you won't lose to people just because they have better gear from arena/pve like some games, as its all craftable.

• mainvein33mainvein33 Member Posts: 406

Originally posted by mainvein33

As a game or MMO?

Some are also on console but they are all on PC.

Esp CIV=civiliazation. :P

For an MMO

A world that I am not too unfamiliar with but still want to know more.

A good story/char

A game that I can talk with my RL friends and know they'll enjoy it or they know about it (why all my other trials of other non-WoW MMOs failed)

Also, what people want and what people buy are two completely different things. Ask anyone in marketing. :)

Just to save face I knew what civ was. I cna agree with your last statement its been echoed here a lot. The whole yhing is I doubt the market can read our minds just yet so I think the assumption is that If we give them what they want they will buy it and when we don't everybody ends up worse off. Of all the issues mentioned this one is likely the hardest to fix.

Originally posted by Whiteblade

This is an easy one. List of things I want to see:

-More emphasis on exploration, Guild Wars 1 let you explore almost anything without having to grind the mobs for hours to be strong enough to move into the next area.

-Less grinding, I have never gotten a character in a 'normal' mmo past half way to the level cap because it drives me nuts having to do 100 fetch quests because it somehow makes me stronger.

-Teamwork that isn't forced, just meet some buddies on the field of battle instead of being forced to group or fight over a boss and his spawns.

-Get rid of this notion of DPS/Heal/Tank, I like playing hybrid classes because being stuck in one role is no fun.

-A storyline of some sort, not asking for a Planescape Torment here but a story gives reason for the exploration mentioned earlier and helps flesh out the world.

-Make quest dialog more interesting, I don't care if some dude is lazy and doesn't want to go pick up wood. I'm a hero, not an errand boy.

-Get rid of mundane tasks, does anyone have fun with these? I know that I don't.

-Cut down on the skills, I never understood why the classes in 'normal' mmos need to have like 50 skills on the bar at all times. I loved the Warden in Lotro because it was a few skills but used in many many possible ways.

-Make leveling the emphasis, I quite franky don't care about end game and want to have fun leveling my characters and experiencing the world.

Is it surprising I'm looking forward to Guild Wars 2? The first game is the closest to what I want from an MMO even though it isn't an MMO, go figure that one.

Not really. Not to be mean or anything but your whole post describes what the devs want GW2 to be. You may be the lucky one who get all you could want from a MMO.

• bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

I want a FINISHED MMo !!!!!!!! at launch.

That is it.

• ravtecravtec Member Posts: 214

Rich group play

A hugh world

Good selection of classes/fun classes

P2P

Alternative Advance

Beeing able to solo ( even i that love grouping need a break now and then)

Make the journey fun (i spend more time here then in endgame in all the games i have playd)

Rich endgame ( can live with ok endgame at start)

The ones that are underlined is stuff that has to be no matter what. I can slack on the other options but not the underlined ones.

But if you add all above i might stil not play that game, if they got all the above but the world/animation/controller are not good enuff all the above wont help much 

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

Originally posted by Axehilt

Every player wants their choices to be important.  For most this means every time they logon they're making important decisions (instanced PVP, tight PVE balancing.)   For some this means infrequent strategic choices (choose to join the zerg guild -> dominate world PVP;  AFK-harvest/craft.)

It depends on what you mean by important.  I play games to have fun.  I don't want to be a hero.  I don't want to be a legend.  I just want to have a good time while I'm playing, then go do something else.  I don't care if anyone else knows my name or remembers me or even knows I'm alive, so long as I have a good time when I log on and can look forward to doing it again sometime.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

I guess what i'd like is almost impossible outside of a sandbox style game, a truely dynamic world where if I change something, it stays changed until some other force (players, nature, whatever) comes along and modifies it.

MMO's could have changing of the seasons, bridges that could be destroyed and have to be rebuilt.  Real consequences for your actions, act too evil and you end up having to evade police units, etc.

It would be at a level of complexity almost impossible to program with today's technology, see the TV show Caprica for the virtual world I'd like to experience. 

On a more realistic note, I'd like a game that borrows some ideas from games other than EQ/WOW, ie. Asheron's Call, UO, EVE and Ryzom perhaps.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Innovation...  even if it means dropping a lot of the modern crap *cough* instances... and building an MMO where people actually play, if not together, at least in the same 3D space.

Give me a few months, I'll show you what I'm talking about.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • momodigmomodig Member UncommonPosts: 555

ActionMMORPG... I like your games, RealmLords was the first of the games I played by you... if your hinting at starting an other MMO, I think that's the problem... You can't stick with on thing, it's discouraging for players... What do players Want... developers that focus on one project.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by Cephus404

Every player wants their choices to be important.  For most this means every time they logon they're making important decisions (instanced PVP, tight PVE balancing.)   For some this means infrequent strategic choices (choose to join the zerg guild -> dominate world PVP;  AFK-harvest/craft.)

It depends on what you mean by important.  I play games to have fun.  I don't want to be a hero.  I don't want to be a legend.  I just want to have a good time while I'm playing, then go do something else.  I don't care if anyone else knows my name or remembers me or even knows I'm alive, so long as I have a good time when I log on and can look forward to doing it again sometime.

Important as in the game doesn't play itself.  Your presence is valued.  You'll lose the fight with the giant rat (which you're fighting because you don't care if you're a hero) if you don't make choices -- or at a minimum, you'll fail to kill rats at a particularly fast rate.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

I think DCUO will suffice until SWTOR. And SWTOR will suffice untill Guild Wars 2. I'll probably end up playing all three. I am happy with these 3 titles. Well, right now I am happy with DCUO have yet to see how will SWTOR and Guild Wars 2 do.

• SkeeterxiSkeeterxi Member Posts: 265

A game with a big world and sense of exploration and danger. Game with good PvP and good PvE that doesn't seperate them into two different games within a game. A game that doesn't keep you going with a carrot on a stick that makes you grind and grind to keep you playing longer. The game and content should have players playing because it is fun not because it takes huge amounts of time. I should want to log in and play with other people even if my character won't advance or get rewarded. Something that has game mechanics that pull a community together instead of a player base like WoWs.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The OP already mentioned what i want and that is basically a revamped FFXI.

I could play a tweaked ,better graphic ffxi pretty much forever,that is how good i feel the game was designed.

Thsis is why i was so looking forward to ffxiv,i never would have imagined the direction Sqaure took with my beloved FFXI,they totally flipped it upside down and took it back in time several years,my head sank low ,deeply dissappointed.

There is almost[keyword ...ALMOST] nothing i would take from any of these other games,FFXI was the one and ONLY game that offered me a challenge throughout my experience.It was also the ONLY game that strongly encourages people interaction,the very reason i play online games.

What i have seen since about 2005 is a whole new wave of gamers that just wanted to be a part of the MMO experience,but really 90% of them do not belong in a MMO game.Of course it doesn't take much of a rocket scientist to see that 90% is a huge chunk of money,so guess what crowd the developers are catering to??Yep people that do not belong in a MMO,people that actually want a single player game and to be left alone.

For this very reason ,i will not likely get my MMO game,and many others will be satisfied with their tons of copy cat cloned single player fake MMO games.Ya ya that was a tongue and cheek full of words i threw together but it works for me :D.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DaitenguDaitengu Member Posts: 442

Intrigue, suspense, and mystery in a non mid-evil western fantasy setting.   Damn am I tired of D&D based MMOs.

Add: Though it's none of the above, I'd play a Star Ocean MMO in a heart beat if they could keep the combat tight like the games.

• SkeeterxiSkeeterxi Member Posts: 265

Originally posted by Wizardry

The OP already mentioned what i want and that is basically a revamped FFXI.

I could play a tweaked ,better graphic ffxi pretty much forever,that is how good i feel the game was designed.

Thsis is why i was so looking forward to ffxiv,i never would have imagined the direction Sqaure took with my beloved FFXI,they totally flipped it upside down and took it back in time several years,my head sank low ,deeply dissappointed.

There is almost[keyword ...ALMOST] nothing i would take from any of these other games,FFXI was the one and ONLY game that offered me a challenge throughout my experience.It was also the ONLY game that strongly encourages people interaction,the very reason i play online games.

What i have seen since about 2005 is a whole new wave of gamers that just wanted to be a part of the MMO experience,but really 90% of them do not belong in a MMO game.Of course it doesn't take much of a rocket scientist to see that 90% is a huge chunk of money,so guess what crowd the developers are catering to??Yep people that do not belong in a MMO,people that actually want a single player game and to be left alone.

For this very reason ,i will not likely get my MMO game,and many others will be satisfied with their tons of copy cat cloned single player fake MMO games.Ya ya that was a tongue and cheek full of words i threw together but it works for me :D.

It makes you wonder how the hell they went so wrong with FF14. I played XI for its first couple of years and was hoping 14 would be a lot like it but with modern graphics and more PC friendly controls and UI. Between AoC and FF14 I will never get hyped for another game release. Talk about utter disappointments. I'll be an ultimate skeptic until I actually play.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

Originally posted by Cephus404

Important as in the game doesn't play itself.  Your presence is valued.  You'll lose the fight with the giant rat (which you're fighting because you don't care if you're a hero) if you don't make choices -- or at a minimum, you'll fail to kill rats at a particularly fast rate.

Game AI doesn't value my presence, it doesn't care.  If I lose to the giant rat, so what?  Did I have fun while I was doing it?  If so, it was worth it to me.  Do I care about killing giant rats?  Nope, but if that's what's thrown in front of me, I'll do it.  I don't have a big head or an ego and think I'm better than killing giant rats.  Throw giant animals at me all you want, I'm good with that.

Then again, I don't care how fast I kill giant rats because I'm not in an absurd race to end-game.  I get to the end when I do, no matter how long it takes, especially since I'm deleting the character when it hits end-game.  I detest end-game with a passion.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221

Originally posted by bbethel

I want a FINISHED MMo !!!!!!!! at launch.

That is it.

Amen, Buying and paying a monthly for what we used to call beta is getting old...