Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most difficult game you've ever played

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

The original 3 Ninja Gaiden games. They start out easy enough, but flying enemies that knock you into holes, the bullets, and the sheer fact that it was so awesome that you had to continue trying even after your 50th game over.

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607

I remember Shadow of Colossus being hard, but that may have been because of its oddness. 

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.

I spent almost whole night trying to complete 1 lvl mission and kill frigging boar boss, which is considered the easiest in game

• XsnakeyXsnakey Member Posts: 30

Would be Ninja Gaiden for me.

• skullquakerskullquaker Member UncommonPosts: 311

mohaa i could never get off the beach 

alex the kid  once i hit the castle that was it i was stuck to this day ive still not completed it

rouge spear the ai would all ways  get stuck  are get killed 

• brswongabrswonga Member Posts: 2

any of the silent hill series on hard riddle setting (without looking on the web for hints)

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Demons Soul, at least in recent memory.

• VigilianceVigiliance Member UncommonPosts: 213

Single player RPG, The Seventh Saga, grueling punishing but fun game. Playing as the healer archtype from the start brought the heat and pain down on me but the idea of pushing through this made beating it all the more enjoyable. 

If I upgraded the graphics engine to appeal to the new audience and made sure no cheats/hacks were developed for it I doubt less then 10% of the population could/would finish the game, but this is back when Japan and other game developers made games challenging for the sole purpose of entertainment, this philosophy has obviously changed in the time past.

MMO: Darkfall online, at release this game was a bunch of blood thirsty pvpers out to grief, I can't tell you how many times I was killed and full body looted because I took 3 steps outside of a safe zone. Its calmed down quite a bit since then but I haven't revisited the game in a long time for my own reasons.

• theinvadertheinvader Member UncommonPosts: 240

Metroid on the NES, or maybe Ecco the Dolphin on the Megadrive (which, incidentally, is one of the scariest games I've ever played).

Seriously I'm not joking. Its sequel is listed as a survival horror game on Wikipedia. Look it up.

Always read the small print.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Pong in '75 man that was hard game:P

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Kaizo Mario World aka "Asshole Mario". Too tough.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

"Suspended" from Infocom was one of my favorite, really difficult C-64 games... I think it came out in 83 or 84. All of the Infocom titles were challenging in their own way (unless you bought the Invisiclues), but Suspended was extra crispy in the "hard" department :)

• Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

The Immortal for the sega megadrive/genesis, no hints given at all, just getting through each level was like having a tooth removed without an injection (not into pain like some folks).

Pretty sure i didnt finish it.

• them4trixthem4trix Member UncommonPosts: 19

Originally posted by dragonbrand

The Myst series

haha lol yeah XD

remember gettin Myst the masterpiece edition years ago..

failed it so so bad , spend days locked in a small room staring at my screen tryin 2 solve every puzzle ,

only to realize i couldnt finish about 99% of them..

even months later with a pic & txt guide i had sum difficulty

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I remember Dragon Warrior for the NES being hard, but that might be because I was 8 or 9 at the time. I still beat it though. I find RTS games hard cause I suck at micromanaging though :P

• carrie01carrie01 Member Posts: 77

Ghosts n Goblins/Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts and Contra/Contra III

Yikes.

Although I think one of the only games that was IMPOSSIBLE for me to play is Bard's Tale. I didn't know wtf I was doing wrong as I had been a long time Final Fantasy fan and thought I was the master at turn based battle... I guess not =P Every encounter was super difficult and left my party low on health.

Favorites: Vanguard SOH, Final Fantasy XI, Dungeons and Dragons Online

Future:
    Final Fantasy XIV 2.0
    EverQuest NEXT
    Wizardry Online
    Vanguard F2P edition (fingers crossed)

http://vgrpgblog.blogspot.com/

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

I never really played a game that was really hard, although in GW pre-Nightfall I recall Thunderheadkeep and Eternal Grove (With only henchmen) as the hardest missions.

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

This. By far. It landed in some dark corner at my parents house back somewhere between '92 and '95 and was destined to see the light of day again in 2010 when I was visiting my parents and carelessy dug through my old video game box.

The game managed to make me literally destroy the cartridge in wild rage on that very day, 4 hours later.

And I'm not talking about the SNES or NES versions of R-type which are indefinitely easier and actually fun to play. I'm talking about the Euro-PAL version on the gameboy. Terror on 4 square inch.

Concerning MMOs, EvE can be a real bitch, but tbh, it's not nearly as bad as R-Type for the gameboy, not by far...

M

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

One of the more difficult games I've tried recently was the original Fallout. It was difficult because there are so many possibilities, and because the characters are very weak at the beginning. Took me weeks just to get through the first few areas because I kept dying over and over again.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• NewfrNewfr Member UncommonPosts: 133
  • solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Hmm, yes, Ghosts n' Goblins back on the arcade was indeed frustrating. Also, I remember Aztec Challenge being quite tough once you got through first run through.

Same goes for Donkey Kong. The upper tiers, argh, really difficult.

On the PC, Rise of the Triad, an old FPS game had what I recall as an insanely difficult boss, a little robot called NME. I'm not sure if that qualifies the game itself as insanely difficult, but that little metallic maniac left an impression on me. :)

RPGs used to be tougher, from what I remember. Tales of the Sword Coast, first expansion to the original Baldur's Gate had some really tough boss fights. I remember being so frustrated on some encounters that I couldn't even feel any elation once I beat the game, just cool-down. :)

• PoliticaldadPoliticaldad Member UncommonPosts: 134

For me these two are interchangable ---

Bard's Tale on the Commodore 64/128 or  Edler Scrolls: Arena on a 486DX-66

Getting to know what group worked best to live in one are only to enter a new game area and die because of party inbalance.

Or going out at night and getting jumped by a 3 group mix of Skellies-Wights-Zombies

• Binary^.nlBinary^.nl Member Posts: 44

MMO: I will have to say EVE. This game really tested me and gave a learning curve a whole other meaning to me.

Non-MMO: will probally be Commando's, I know the last map in the GermanHQ took me ages to get through.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

MMO - None

Other - Jungle Trouble on the spectrum

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Most difficult game I've ever played ....

Waking up and hitting the alarm button. Then making sure I don't fall asleep again.

One tough daily quest, I tell you.