Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Desync FRAPS

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

This is current as of last week....

So.. umm... yeah.  Who cares if you call it desync.. lag.. interpolation?  The issues are blatantly obvious.  As they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words and a Fraps is worth a thousand pictures"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BbEoFbURPA

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Comments

• HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

The above has been an ongoing issue since beta and I doubt it will ever be fixed. They can change the name of the phenomenon all they wish, it still doesnt "fix" it.  

I win!!! LOL@U

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Originally posted by HanoverZ

The above has been an ongoing issue since beta and I doubt it will ever be fixed.   

sadly i also belive this. the funny part is some people get it way worse then others. i for example get it all the friken time. it makes me soo sad because i love how the combat is set up in this game first person view and all, but desync completely destroys all the fun.

i so want a game just like MO but FLAWLESS!

• raff01raff01 Member Posts: 453

Wonder what Derpidum has to say about this

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

Originally posted by raff01

Don't know about Derpidum, but I'd like to note that he's claiming desync for some legitimate misses.

0:49 -ok this looks like a legitimate gripe

1:18 1:22 1:29 just plain late swings

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

Originally posted by osmunda

Don't know about Derpidum, but I'd like to note that he's claiming desync for some legitimate misses.

In fact, I'm not sure anyone is arguing that lag never happens in MO.  I don't know why another thread was needed to discuss a fraps of it, like this is some incredible coup.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Originally posted by funkmastaD

In fact, I'm not sure anyone is arguing that lag never happens in MO.  I don't know why another thread was needed to discuss a fraps of it, like this is some incredible coup.

I dont think its lag, but desync. You lag because of bad connection but this been going on for a while and not everywhere/everytime. And yes, mods and devs do blindly claim it is all fixed.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

I hate these videos. They make me loot at my full loot bag and sigh.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Originally posted by osmunda

Some of them are perhaps real misses, but some clearly should have landed flush. Henrik recently admited the issue was still there and caused by lag/delay and the crappy prediction system.

Anyways, to me, client-side hit detection will never work in a MMO.

• ZheomZheom Member Posts: 58

"This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

but anyway.. i know what the vid is about and have to say its the main problem in MO atm.

Originally posted by Toferio

I dont think its lag, but desync. You lag because of bad connection but this been going on for a while and not everywhere/everytime. And yes, mods and devs do blindly claim it is all fixed.

No, if you ever played beta you know what real desync is... this ain't it.   People in that video could draw their weapons, interact with other players, etc.  What we're looking at here is a lag between when when the game states are updated on the players' clients.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

No, if you ever played beta you know what real desync is... this ain't it.   People in that video could draw their weapons, interact with other players, etc.  What we're looking at here is a lag between when when the game states are updated on the players' clients.

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet."

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

You can't really think that applies...  

Wouldnt that mean the client and the server aren't in sync? image   Perhaps it was just worse back then with more people playing? The problem was always compounded by server load, even in the hundreds.

Regardless, what does the current term matter?  The same thing or similar hasbeen happening since beta.

syn·chro·nize

 /?s??kr??na?z/ image Show Spelled

to cause to go on, move, operate, work, etc., at the same rate and exactly together: They synchronized their steps and walked on together.

to cause to agree in time of occurrence; assign to the same time or period, as in a history.

I win!!! LOL@U

A player clicks a button to hit the person moving in front of him. He swings through the target. OR

A player is hit by someone who appears to be 25 feet away. This is due to:

A) Desync

B) Lag

C) Interpolation issues

This player really couldn't care less.  From this user viewpoint all that matters is that in this FPS/twitch combat system.. what he sees on screen is not what is happening. 

So yes..  "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" applies perfectly.

A player clicks a button to hit the person moving in front of him. He swings through the target. OR

A player is hit by someone who appears to be 25 feet away. This is due to:

A) Desync

B) Lag

C) Interpolation issues

This player really couldn't care less.  From this user viewpoint all that matters is that in this FPS/twitch combat system.. what he sees on screen is not what is happening. 

So yes..  "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" applies perfectly.

It's two different things, desync and this occurrence.  Yet you keep choosing to use desync, instead of lag or interpolation which I think we both know is the more accurate description of the problem.  This causes confusion because some people say "desync is fixed", referring the the actual desync known and loathed in beta, but then people that call every instance of lag 'desync' throw a fit and claim that the 'desync' problem still persists.

It's a very clever use of conflation,  I can't help but think the confusion is intentional.

It's two different things, desync and this occurrence.  Yet you keep choosing to use desync, instead of lag or interpolation which I think we both know is the more accurate description of the problem.  This causes confusion because some people say "desync is fixed", referring the the actual desync known and loathed in beta, but then people that call every instance of lag 'desync' throw a fit and claim that the 'desync' problem still persists.

It's a very clever use of conflation,  I can't help but think the confusion is intentional.

I can't help what you think.. but I actually believe that the intentional confusion is caused by people saying things like "desync is fixed" when in fact the player still experiences a DESYNC between their client and the server.   So, personally I don't care if you label it desync, lag, interpolation issues... what matters is that the bottomline experience is "  a lag between when when the game states are updated on the players' clients."  Thus causing the player's screen to show something different  from the server state and/or other player's screen.

This is exacerbated by clientside hit detection... thus the pervalence of "getting hit from 25 feet away".  Simply look at the 59 second mark of the video.  It explains the situation PERFECTLY.

I can't help what you think.. but I actually believe that the intentional confusion is caused by people saying things like "desync is fixed" when in fact the player still experiences a DESYNC between their client and the server.   So, personally I don't care if you label it desync, lag, interpolation issues... what matters is that the bottomline experience is "  a lag between when when the game states are updated on the players' clients."  Thus causing the player's screen to show something different  from the server state and/or other player's screen.

This is exacerbated by clientside hit detection... thus the pervalence of "getting hit from 25 feet away".  Simply look at the 59 second mark of the video.  It explains the situation PERFECTLY.

Yeah, it's a problem, but it's not desync.  Unless we start calling every instance of lag, in every game, desync because everything isn't identical in every person's client.  In which case, every single MMO (or multiplayer game for that matter) has constant desync, and we're all SOL.

By the way since MO uses client side hit detection how could it be lag? as long as the player's client sees the target and  registers the hit on his side, eventho the other guy's screen is already showing a different location, the server should register it as a hit, thus causing the other guy to be under the impression of being hit from far away, which is well known game breaking issue.

By the way since MO uses client side hit detection how could it be lag? as long as the player's client sees the target and  registers the hit on his side, eventho the other guy's screen is already showing a different location, the server should register it as a hit, thus causing the other guy to be under the impression of being hit from far away, which is well known game breaking issue.

Yeah, the combination of the two (lag, client-side hit detection)  is what causes this.

Yeah, the combination of the two (lag, client-side hit detection)  is what causes this.

Does it really matter what/why?  They still cant fix "it"!!! 

"It" has been an ongoing issue forever, call it whatever you'd like. Doesn't change a thing or lessen its impact on the game.

I win!!! LOL@U

"It" has been an ongoing issue forever, call it whatever you'd like. Doesn't change a thing or lessen its impact on the game.

Fact is they can't change it. this is within the core design of the game and I think the engine to have client side hit detection, which is the most stupid thing one could think of for that type of game, and therefor it will never be fixed, its not fixable, they would need to entirely rebuild the game.

Don't be mad, enjoy the fact that you have people that you can cackle with when someone fraps' a bug. image

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Looks like there is a serious LPB advantage.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

Don't be mad, enjoy the fact that you have people that you can cackle with when someone fraps' a bug. 

'Cept it's not a "bug." It's a design flaw/oversight.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

Looks like there is a serious LPB advantage.

Its has nothing to do with ping.  

You can dual box and see the great variance in character/mob location.   On one monitor you are standing right next to "target", on the other you are 25+ feet away. 

I win!!! LOL@U