Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Handholding in MMO

12346»

Comments

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by pierth

Originally posted by Wolfhammer

Originally posted by nedox

running around for hours and not finding what you are looking for can be frustrating for many people, and that is why communities complained, and MMO's introduced modern GPS systems. It seems that everyone is happy with it now... but there will be always someone who complain about something:)

And the reason they do end up running around is partly due to people not reading quest dialogue and partly because some devs have got lazy and have lost the art of proper creative/descriptive writting based on the physical features (landmarks etc) of the world they have created.

If the writting fit the world properly you'd have all references regarding a rough area in a direction from a world known landmark you'd need to find a clue as to where to head next to progress.

We have pretty bland and featureless world's mostly these days, and that coupled with lazy story telling in quests that don't refer to the world in any meaningful way, means people are generally clueless on how how to progress a quest so need big stupid arrows and shiny sparkles on everything.

I'll grab a lifetime sub off the bat for any MMO that f***s all that bull off and releases a game for adults who like to think, ponder and learn and eventually progress in a game.

Truly, I think "communities" complained maybe be a bit of an exaggeration- since the beginning of my time in MMOs the people that complain about many aspects of games (particularly complicated or difficult gameplay) seem to be a vocal minority within those games' forums while the majority are busy playing the game. This site might even be a perfect example that there are some people that just enjoy complaining or arguing more than actually playing games.

This site is a perfect example that there is a commubity that willingly would want a game that is for "real gamers" and not for some spoiled degenerated power gamers that doesnt bother about anything else than how they would get to the highest level the fastest way,,

Time is naturally always an ugly factor that needs to be considered in this, with limited time to play, you would want "quick" everything,,,That includes quick ways to solve a quest , as your 5 hour game time per week, you do not want to spend these 5 hours running around aimlessly searching for a quest goal..But on the other hand , why play such a game then, accorsing to me there is no point in playing this game then, but obviously there is ...since most games use these casual and fast in/out systems nowadays,.,,

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

What is the point of this thread?!  I just do not get why people have a problem with this.  Don't want to be told where to go for your quest?  Great!  DON'T USE THE TRACKER.  Finish your quests old school :)

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by watchawatcha

What is the point of this thread?!  I just do not get why people have a problem with this.  Don't want to be told where to go for your quest?  Great!  DON'T USE THE TRACKER.  Finish your quests old school :)

No you do not understand the problem ..that is obvious !!

The problem is that players want a challenge when they play..and one such challenge can be "solve a riddle" but if you already have the answer to the riddle(pointers) there is NO riddle..

The problem goes deeper than just "turn off the tracker"..and sometimes you cant "turn it off in the options"..

Most of the quests you get in todays games are NOT QUESTS, they are errands, and with an errand I can agree that the player definatly should know the precise location to where they should go..So a large pointer in this case is ok !!

But in another case where you should find the long lost relic, and only have a few rumours to go after, this is where it becomes really really annoying with a pointer since not even the questgiver could give you an exact location where to look part from a few vague hints..