Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many of you are playing ddo right now until something better comes out?

AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

Or are you playing some other mmo? I am just looking for something for now maybe until dc universe comes out crossing my fingers though.

Also I was wondering in ddo is it just the same moves over and over or do you get to spam some variety of animations and spell effects?

Thanks all.

Comments

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

I just started playing DDO again and am having a great time, so much so that I actually spent some money and got the Monk class. I've played a Monk in just about every MMO I've been in. It's fun, groups gather quickly and if you're not looking for a group then soloing is easy enough on most quests.

I do see why they went F2P though, the charges for things are really high, like a 6 part quest is somewhere in the region of 250-750pts. Considering the amount of quests in game and that $20 got me 1900pts you can see it'll quickly add up to those points not buying much. Still, a lot of it is still free to play so can't really argue with it, it seems the higher in level you go the more you have to buy, judging from all the 'buy it now' signs on the higher level group quests.

The combat is something I enjoy compared to other games, a lot of freedom. You're not stuck in one place like the majority of MMO's just pressing 1, 2, 3 until the mob falls over. You can be tumbling left and right to dodge arrows or certain spells, circling around your opponent to get flank attacks, jumping onto scenery, etc. Good fun.

• takayitakayi Member Posts: 158

Thinking of installing it again. I just have to get it work for this new mac o' mine, and thats gonna be a bit hard even with the CrossOver Games... 

The post above me got me thinking that hey, DDO really is a great game, and that I miss my magnificent dwarven bard, who made the enemies cry.

• ImixZinzImixZinz Member CommonPosts: 553

I was playing DDO for a few months recently, leveling up was a lot of fun and i spent most of my time rerolling cause i just enjoyed that content so much, but i got to end game and felt a little out of place. Everything was farmed like it was a job and if you didnt know wtf was going on, you better hope you're friends with someone who does. That, and even if you do get in with the end game farmers, whats the point, to collect gear to complete the exact same content?

• AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

Anyone else?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Guildwars right now even if I considered to start with DDO again as well.

But I don't like PUGs in DDO and I am talking a bit with friends to see if we can gather a group.

• Elox1Elox1 Member Posts: 211

I went back to playing the original GW as well.  The Hall of Monuments was a big reason for that.  Other than that I've been playing some SC2 and BFBC2 but that probably doesn't help you.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Theres just something about DDO that I havent brought myself to go back to having played it at launch.  I'm also not a great fan of microtransaction games as I am a bit of a whore when it comes to them so spend far more than I ever would on a sub alone.

Only own 2 of the GW titles and honestly don;t have a clue what NC account they are tied to but if the package comes on as a steam daily deal I may just grab them.

In the space of the last couple of month have revisited every title I ever played apart from the 2 above and for a myriad of reasons just can;t get back into them Aion, AOC, EQ2, SWG just have a sense of been there done that,  LOTRO I still hate the anims/art style, WAR still hate art style, WOW I just take one look at the site or a max graphics vid on youtube and that takes any urge to even try it.

Rift I didnt enjoy the art style,  in fact much like the OP aside the 2 big ones the only game I'm looking forward to is DCUO thus havent been doing the beta but at the same time it HAS to sort its grouping social features befre I will pre-order it may well be the only MMO I have liked the look of that i actually wait on user reviews for.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I have not played ddo since it went free to play.  I logged in after it went free to play to find out i had to unlock previous quests that i used to run on a regular basis.

I not looked back.  Just racked it up to turbine with the greedy they ave for money and the store now.

I play eq2, and will until we get swtor.  Rift beta left a sour taste in my mouth.

• NightAngellNightAngell Member Posts: 566

Vanguard..

Contrary to belief the Telon server(usa) has a good population on it,from low level to high.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Originally posted by UsualSuspect

I just started playing DDO again and am having a great time, so much so that I actually spent some money and got the Monk class. I've played a Monk in just about every MMO I've been in. It's fun, groups gather quickly and if you're not looking for a group then soloing is easy enough on most quests.

I do see why they went F2P though, the charges for things are really high, like a 6 part quest is somewhere in the region of 250-750pts. Considering the amount of quests in game and that $20 got me 1900pts you can see it'll quickly add up to those points not buying much. Still, a lot of it is still free to play so can't really argue with it, it seems the higher in level you go the more you have to buy, judging from all the 'buy it now' signs on the higher level group quests.

The combat is something I enjoy compared to other games, a lot of freedom. You're not stuck in one place like the majority of MMO's just pressing 1, 2, 3 until the mob falls over. You can be tumbling left and right to dodge arrows or certain spells, circling around your opponent to get flank attacks, jumping onto scenery, etc. Good fun.

You can not just circler around to get flank attacks, the enemy must have its attention on someone else, or you sneak it at the start. Simply circling will not get you into flank attacks. Tumbling left and right to avoid the few arrows is ok, but most of the game such actions are pretty worthless compared to actually killing the enemy.

Six months ago I was playing DDo waiting for the next good game but I got tired of DDO and simply left. The game has spent the last year doing almost nothing but creating content for the low and mid levels and aimed nearly all of its game changes to people who spent the first 4 years ignoring DDO until it went freemium. Sadly to me that meant that people like me who were there from the start were no longer the target audience and I took my money elsewhere.

DDO was fun, but it is not the best MMO ever or even close. Its a fun dungeoan crawler that is extremely limited outside of combat. If you are not killing, there simply is nearly nothing else to do.

• lars1134lars1134 Member Posts: 106

@ OP

Please tell me, Who is not leaving a current game if another one is better??

Kind Regards,

God (the guy that made people who they are)

Originally posted by lars1134

@ OP

Please tell me, Who is not leaving a current game if another one is better??

Kind Regards,

God (the guy that made people who they are)

God who? Leave the religion out of the thread. It has no place here and you are clearly not any god.

Originally posted by Rokurgepta

You can not just circler around to get flank attacks, the enemy must have its attention on someone else, or you sneak it at the start. Simply circling will not get you into flank attacks. Tumbling left and right to avoid the few arrows is ok, but most of the game such actions are pretty worthless compared to actually killing the enemy.

Six months ago I was playing DDo waiting for the next good game but I got tired of DDO and simply left. The game has spent the last year doing almost nothing but creating content for the low and mid levels and aimed nearly all of its game changes to people who spent the first 4 years ignoring DDO until it went freemium. Sadly to me that meant that people like me who were there from the start were no longer the target audience and I took my money elsewhere.

DDO was fun, but it is not the best MMO ever or even close. Its a fun dungeoan crawler that is extremely limited outside of combat. If you are not killing, there simply is nearly nothing else to do.

Yeah, flanking needs another person to make it successful but hey, Tumbling is really good fun. image It's also a good way to avoid getting smashed by multiple opponents. Take an elite solo run I did yesterday. I had about 5 or 6 mobs attacking me so I tumbled out of there, got some ground, then turned to face so I can start taking down the first guy chasing while the rest were rushing to follow. Less attacks coming in, one target to drop, keep rolling away until you've got the lot. Not a lot of MMO's allow you to do that sort of thing.

I was playing DDO from the start, still have the original box on my shelf here, but got a bit bored with it. I have to disagree with you about the content though, when I started max level was 10, now it's level 20 with a ton of extra content to cover those levels. They've done 10 levels worth of extra, why not let them do a bit for the lower levels now?

I do agree with you on the last part, it is just a kill or do nothing game, but that's D&D. You wander through a dungeon dealing with different monsters in each room. It's a very simple game. A good GM can give it more depth, but at its roots it was designed to be a 'wander through a dungeon killing stuff' game. I don't mind DDO though, it's not deep, it's not going to win any awards, but while waiting for a decent MMO to come out it's certainly a lot of fun.

• VahraneVahrane Member UncommonPosts: 376

Just wanted to throw in my two cents here in regards to the cost of DDO as a F2P and the seemingly high point cost you have pointed out here. You failed to mention that as you play DDO, even if you're completely F2P, you can earn Turbine points by reaching certain favor levels by completing quests! You can actually earn them fairly quickly too. In example, I recently reached the 500 favor mark with a character on a server I decided to roll my first Drow Rogue. Hitting this mark Earned me 50 points for reaching 500 favor on the server for the first time as well as 25 favor for getting to 500 with that specific character. Prior to this favor gain I had received 25 points for hitting 25 favor, another 25 at 50 favor, as well as 25 for 100 favor total and then for every hundred after that! Just by playing this character alone, to lvl 7 I believe it was, I earned 225 points! There is a possibility I missed recording another bonus someone please correct me if I'm wrong or left one out. 

If being able to earn favor with each and every character you play and additional favor for playing on different servers isn't enough for you then just wait! There is more! You're probably reading this saying to yourself, "But the guy you quoted said it cost 250 - 750 for a single adventure pack"! This is very correct. In fact some cost more then 750 points even, however, each and every day the DDO store has adventure packs for sale at 50% off!! Yes you heard right 50% off! So your casual F2P DDO'er can very easily play a character or two and, if thrifty, end up enjoying alot of the P2P content as well.

There is also one last thing. By reaching certain favor marks you can unlock, on a server by server basis, most of the playable races, classes, extra inventory space, etc purely through favor accumulation! So as you can see there is no need to spend any money/points to experience MOST of DDO's content if you work at it.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Originally posted by NightAngell

Vanguard..

Contrary to belief the Telon server(usa) has a good population on it,from low level to high.

I've been resisting returning to Telon but I keep hearing people say the population has gone up. Guess I'll re-sub and see for myself.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Originally posted by Angelbound

Or are you playing some other mmo? I am just looking for something for now maybe until dc universe comes out crossing my fingers though.

Also I was wondering in ddo is it just the same moves over and over or do you get to spam some variety of animations and spell effects?

Nothing really on the horizon I'm interested in so DDO is one of 5 F2p's I have on my rig and I bounce between them with most of my time going to DDO and LotRO (others are AoC, PotBS & WWO: Gunfighter).

Since it is F2p and as long as you don't have an existing high lvl toon already, DDO could easily fill the hole while waiting for something else and beyond.  Do like I do, let it set and just pop back in whenever, no fuss, no muss and best of all no monthly sub making you feel like you had to play.

I first started when it was P2p and it just didn't feel like it was worth it.  Now I'm diffinitly getting my monies worth.  It's not really a big world, sandbox type MMO, it's a dungeon crawler with other players.  As long as you don't go into it thinking you're going to play the econ or set up your own kingdom it's fine.

Pretty much combat is just 1 button mashing and the system itself gives you different animations.  Example of a sword fight, I hit button 3 times and the systems gives me animations of a left to right swing, overhead chop and then a right to left swing so it atleast doesn't look like all you're doing is chopping wood.

Now my highest is just a lvl 6 so I don't know if that changes as you go up or if magic users have something different.

As far as dungeon costs down the road.  I tossed $20.00 into the kitty and have bought 2 packs.  I waited until I got double points to buy and then waited again until the packs where on super sale.  You can spend as little or as much as you want.  If you don't want to spend a dime there are enough free dungeons at the low lvl end to keep you busy.

Also the whole 'going F2p?' thing.  DDO suffered from the typical low pop problem.  F2p opened it up and really raised the pop numbers across the board.  All in all a good thing in my opinion.

What the heck, DL it and give it a try.  It's not like it will cost you anything :)

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

Yeah, flanking needs another person to make it successful but hey, Tumbling is really good fun. image It's also a good way to avoid getting smashed by multiple opponents. Take an elite solo run I did yesterday. I had about 5 or 6 mobs attacking me so I tumbled out of there, got some ground, then turned to face so I can start taking down the first guy chasing while the rest were rushing to follow. Less attacks coming in, one target to drop, keep rolling away until you've got the lot. Not a lot of MMO's allow you to do that sort of thing.

I was playing DDO from the start, still have the original box on my shelf here, but got a bit bored with it. I have to disagree with you about the content though, when I started max level was 10, now it's level 20 with a ton of extra content to cover those levels. They've done 10 levels worth of extra, why not let them do a bit for the lower levels now?

I do agree with you on the last part, it is just a kill or do nothing game, but that's D&D. You wander through a dungeon dealing with different monsters in each room. It's a very simple game. A good GM can give it more depth, but at its roots it was designed to be a 'wander through a dungeon killing stuff' game. I don't mind DDO though, it's not deep, it's not going to win any awards, but while waiting for a decent MMO to come out it's certainly a lot of fun.

The problem is the content between 10 and 20 has always been lighter than the content between 1 and 10. When the level cap was 10 the game has a ton of content for those levels, now leveling between 10 and 20 is on the light side when it comes to variety and Turbine continues to cater to the people who ignored their game for 4 years.

I am just hoping GW2 comes out soon. I have been gone for 6 months from DDO and never see myself heading back again.

The problem is the content between 10 and 20 has always been lighter than the content between 1 and 10. When the level cap was 10 the game has a ton of content for those levels, now leveling between 10 and 20 is on the light side when it comes to variety and Turbine continues to cater to the people who ignored their game for 4 years.

I am just hoping GW2 comes out soon. I have been gone for 6 months from DDO and never see myself heading back again.

I haven't got that far yet so can't really agree or disagree on that one, but if what you say is true then I'm guessing it's because most people decide if they want to continue playing from the low levels. So they're just trying to rope those players in and get them to spend money in the cash shop while they're at it. It's a shame if that is right because of the wasted potential, it could be a really great game if they stopped thinking about how much extra cash they can get, but that's the way of most games these days. Money first, game second.

I haven't got that far yet so can't really agree or disagree on that one, but if what you say is true then I'm guessing it's because most people decide if they want to continue playing from the low levels. So they're just trying to rope those players in and get them to spend money in the cash shop while they're at it. It's a shame if that is right because of the wasted potential, it could be a really great game if they stopped thinking about how much extra cash they can get, but that's the way of most games these days. Money first, game second.

I have no doubt they create the content after a bit of research to see where the most characters are level wise. By catering content to the range many are and are spending money they maximize their revenue. That said it does very little to make DDO a better game because the content and changes are geared towards new people and many of those changes, IMO are what made me leave.

• CruncherSixCruncherSix Member Posts: 93

Warforged is pretty much the only reason to play DDO and since they want money for that class theres nothing worth my interest in DDO anymore.

• TyrrhonTyrrhon Member Posts: 412

It would be nice if there were other similar games but there are not. GW was fine but the freedom of movement was sorely lacking. DDO has a good style but quite poor polish and ballance.

As for variety: most melee has basic attack, one or two cc moves and one or two short term buffs; the movement keeps it fun. At the same time, casters have the largest variety of spells I saw in MMO, to the point it causes severe balance problems (AOE instakills, converting whole zone into army of pets, persistent AOE CC).

Anyway, DDO is nice temporary game, it is different and it is one of few MMOs where grouping is preffered (yet not forced).

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

I've played for the past year. Took two breaks of 2-3 months each time. DDO at end game, imo, is terrible. To be fair, a lot of games at end game are not to my liking. Its slow paced, the individual matters little, little to no variety of tactics, and its repetitive.

One thing DDO has going for it is its True Reincarnation. You can start your toon over, and it lets you keep your gear. Some of the older gear can be used at a pretty low level. Any newer stuff, though, is basically 18-20 required.

If it wasn't for that I would have quit long ago. I'm not one who is for this mindless raiding. The gear is not worth staring at your screen being bored out of your mind. Its a game, and I want to play it.

Originally posted by brostyn

I've played for the past year. Took two breaks of 2-3 months each time. DDO at end game, imo, is terrible. To be fair, a lot of games at end game are not to my liking. Its slow paced, the individual matters little, little to no variety of tactics, and its repetitive.

One thing DDO has going for it is its True Reincarnation. You can start your toon over, and it lets you keep your gear. Some of the older gear can be used at a pretty low level. Any newer stuff, though, is basically 18-20 required.

If it wasn't for that I would have quit long ago. I'm not one who is for this mindless raiding. The gear is not worth staring at your screen being bored out of your mind. Its a game, and I want to play it.

I found reincarnation to be one of the reasons I quit. Turbine simply has no idea how to plan or build end game. Instead they add epic to new low level crap quests(sorry but the DDO quality of quests has suffered the last year) and add reincarnation so you can take an already over powered character and run him through the same quests you ran for years in some cases.

DDO for me failed soon after F2P became their new thing. Game difficulty and content quality suffered to make room for the new breed of DDO player.

• TyrrhonTyrrhon Member Posts: 412

Ah the reincarnation is fantastic idea. Like a lot of DDO, it "just" lacks polish or even second pass. When you become more experienced and bored of grind, you can opt to play less challenging, more tedious game. Huh?

New quests are good fun. The latest packs are really well done and have good variety. I personally do not like abundance of fat red bosses but I guess WoW refugees expect it and given the overall quality I can cope with that "feature".

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Originally posted by Angelbound

Thanks all.

DDO is fun to muck about with as it offers something different from most, but i wouldn't consider it a long term mmo for myself

There are multiple moves and a ton of spells to choose from to add some variety