Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I m sick of leveling too fast.

12346»

Comments

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by WSIMike

Oh come on. That's a ridiculous assertion and you know it.

A criticism is only valid if you can "cite something superior" - "superior" being an entirely subjective thing to begin with? Really?

So I can't say "this burger isn't very good", unless I can objectively say where I've had a better one? I can't say a car feels a bit too "rough" on the road unless I can objectively cite one that's smoother? I can't say I didn't really care much for a given roller coaster ride at an amusement park unless I can objectively cite one that's better?

It's clear you're a huge WoW fan, Axe, and are persistent in defending it. That's fine. But you're seriously stretching it here.

This last post of yours is a crock. You're subjectively setting a bar that no one can ever objectively reach... especially since you have already clearly concluded that "WoW is Superior".

It's a dishonest tactic I've seen people use to defend other MMOs. It's completely disingenuous as it conveniently puts you in a position where you're always going to be "right" - by your own standards - because no matter what game someone else cites, your answer could still be "nope, WoW still does it better".

It allows you to forever move the goal post or raise the bar.

Someone doesn't have to "cite something better" to voice a negative opinion of something else. If you can't accept someone's differing opinion and can so arrogantly put up such a bogus standard as you do in that last post, well... it says a lot more about you than it does anyone else.

Sadly MMORPG.com's search function seems broken, or I'd post a search link to all the "Which game has the best PVE?" threads over the years, which would give us a more objective approach to what people like (and would point out that in every one of those threads I've seen, WOW gets the most votes.)

If you want, we can pretend I was more specific and said, "WOW's solo PVE is prefrred by more people."  Which is certainly a more objective fact than the subjective way I stated it.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

So, it looks like this is essentially a "rush from A to B as fast as possible to enjoy the content at B" vs a "wander around from A to B, checking out the sights and maybe wandering into C, D and W while on the trip" type of deal.

In other words, get to the end game as soon as possible (fast leveling), vs enjoying the game itself and not worrying about the end game.

Hmm.. Theme park mmo's probably will always be more of the fast-level category, mostly because once you've done the theme park that's it - so any new toons you make you will be ZZzzz from re-doing the same theme park again, therefore the solution is to make leveling fast-fast-fast, so you can skip over it.

Sounds like the OP needs a virtual world, not just a theme park. Hmm.

• DimensionalDimensional Member Posts: 79

I couldn't care less about leveling speeds, as long as the leveling content and pace is refreshing and doesn't feel too tedious then that's great. Such a shame that's a rare thing nowadays.

• SabbathSMCSabbathSMC Member Posts: 226

I have to agree with you on this one, leveling is a joke now in almost every game i have played recently its just to damn fast. I too played in the early days of Daoc where when you leveled it actualy ment something. In todays games if you are not level capped in a week or 2 you did not play the game.

Thats one reason i left star trek i was level capped in under 2 weeks,and i have a job and work everyday.  The genere we are in now just wants everything handed to them and they dont want to work for it. Even in uo it took me over a year to grand master blacksmithing and i played everyday.

It's just the majoirty of kids today want it and they want it now.....

played M59,UO,lineage,EQ,Daoc,Entropia,SWG,Horizons,Lineage2.EQ2,Vangaurd,Irth online, DarkFall,Star Trek
    and many others that did not make the cut or i just plain forgetting about.

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 647

Theme park MMO's are part of the reason I enjoy skill based levels more than character based levles.  As long as there are caps and limitaitons on those skills that is (not everyone can do everything like some games seem to have forgotten).

Then again, they have thier macro users running around, who I would imagine are the same group that would also fast-level their toons to the top in other games.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    I don't understand this leveling too fast thing. Don't you gamers have jobs, work overtime or get out of the house much? For a while now I have only played wow when rested because it's too slow!
  • ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210

Originally posted by SabbathSMC

I have to agree with you on this one, leveling is a joke now in almost every game i have played recently its just to damn fast. I too played in the early days of Daoc where when you leveled it actualy ment something. In todays games if you are not level capped in a week or 2 you did not play the game.

Thats one reason i left star trek i was level capped in under 2 weeks,and i have a job and work everyday.  The genere we are in now just wants everything handed to them and they dont want to work for it. Even in uo it took me over a year to grand master blacksmithing and i played everyday.

It's just the majoirty of kids today want it and they want it now.....

Exactly! I love UO back in the day. I hated the griefers though.

To many games just let to achieve 50% of the games max levels in one or two days of casual play. Then they wonder why the kiddies whine and leave for another game after the first month of play. There is no reason to keep paying or playing a game that will not have any enjoyable contect for another 6+ months after release.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by Leucent

My wife and I are sitting here thinking about what game to play, why because every game levels too damn fast now. We miss the FFXI days, or DAOC in it s early days. I had a real connection with my chars in those games and really miss the communities that came with most of those games. We recently tried Aion, only to leave for Cata:( We ve decided to go back to Aion because it takes time and some challenge to progress. This is coming from 2 of the more casual players you ll meet. So to sum it up, I hope more games will come out in the future where I don t get 4-5 levels in a day, doing next to nothing:)

Then do what I do. Take the wifey out of town for a weekend or watch movies or do something else besides gaming. I wish every game would use AOCs free levels system in their sub plan.