Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I m sick of leveling too fast.

My wife and I are sitting here thinking about what game to play, why because every game levels too damn fast now. We miss the FFXI days, or DAOC in it s early days. I had a real connection with my chars in those games and really miss the communities that came with most of those games. We recently tried Aion, only to leave for Cata:( We ve decided to go back to Aion because it takes time and some challenge to progress. This is coming from 2 of the more casual players you ll meet. So to sum it up, I hope more games will come out in the future where I don t get 4-5 levels in a day, doing next to nothing:)

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Hey, I hear you. No argument from me.

However, I think most people don't like long leveling stints.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

I gotta ask, why not just play a f2p game. Theres plenty based entirely on party/solo grinding on mobs and quest.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

I understand the majority is about the xp , I m more about my char and the community that goes with it. I just feel so un connected from my chars nowadays. Hopefully more games will come out with challenge.

Originally posted by jadedlevir

I gotta ask, why not just play a f2p game. Theres plenty based entirely on party/solo grinding on mobs and quest.

I knew someone would say this. I appreciate the comment, but it s more the journey then the grind. I rarely look at my xp bar, of course I want to level, but it s my last priority.

Originally posted by zymurgeist

You want me to spend a lot of time leveling make leveling fun. You want to grind your brains out for weeks for no purpose play any of the thousands of games out there where beating your head agaiunst a wall pointlessly is normal.

I think you re missing my point, I m about the journey, endless grinding as you say, isn t what I m after. If you played DAOC in it s early days, you might know where I m coming from. If you have played DAOC in it s early days and don t feel this way, then were just different :)

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

Originally posted by Leucent

I knew someone would say this. I appreciate the comment, but it s more the journey then the grind. I rarely look at my xp bar, of course I want to level, but it s my last priority.

You ever try eve? its a very long character progression that basically never ends, but the game seems like something you would like if you joined a nice corp.

not exactly similar to those fnatasy game, but it has alot of social elements compared to other mmos were your completely self reliant

• pepsi1028pepsi1028 Member Posts: 471

Then slow down.

†Pepsi1028†

PEPSI!!!!!
    Get out of your box already...

Originally posted by pepsi1028

Then slow down.

Fair enough, but I m going to use WOW as an example. We rerolled on another server to try Horde. I made a priest/miner/jewelcrafter. I was enjoying it. Then I start harvesting, I get xp from that. Quests well obviously you get xp, but it s WAY more. I do some dungeons and well, if I forget to log out of a city I get a level or 2 in that dungeon. I want to play the game but unless I turn off my XP, which costs 10 gold and hell I m broke cause I don t have a higer char on this server, and no one buys low level, jewelry etc. See my point. All that said I want to enjoy the ride not be max level without even trying.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

My thoughts upon this thread:

• pepsi1028pepsi1028 Member Posts: 471

Originally posted by pepsi1028

Then slow down.

Fair enough, but I m going to use WOW as an example. We rerolled on another server to try Horde. I made a priest/miner/jewelcrafter. I was enjoying it. Then I start harvesting, I get xp from that. Quests well obviously you get xp, but it s WAY more. I do some dungeons and well, if I forget to log out of a city I get a level or 2 in that dungeon. I want to play the game but unless I turn off my XP, which costs 10 gold and hell I m broke cause I don t have a higer char on this server, and no one buys low level, jewelry etc. See my point. All that said I want to enjoy the ride not be max level without even trying.

Alright you got me with the rest XP and the dungeons after that.  Continue on....

†Pepsi1028†

PEPSI!!!!!
    Get out of your box already...

You want me to spend a lot of time leveling make leveling fun. You want to grind your brains out for weeks for no purpose play any of the thousands of games out there where beating your head agaiunst a wall pointlessly is normal.

I think you re missing my point, I m about the journey, endless grinding as you say, isn t what I m after. If you played DAOC in it s early days, you might know where I m coming from. If you have played DAOC in it s early days and don t feel this way, then were just different :)

What journey? It was all laid out beforehand. You couldn't do anything worthwhile until your reached high enough level and leveling was positively painful. DAOC wasn't that much fun even at higher levels.

Based on what you said about DAOC, confirms you and I are so far apart as MMO players, I won t even respond more to that, then say were different:)

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Leucent have you ever played Lineage 2? Its a grind type game but its really fun if you are in a good clan and social with other players. One thing for sure is that you will not have a problem with leveling fast. If you want a Trial Key let me know.

• perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285

Originally posted by Mannish

Leucent have you ever played Lineage 2? Its a grind type game but its really fun if you are in a good clan and social with other players. One thing for sure is that you will not have a problem with leveling fast. If you want a Trial Key let me know.

I concur with Lineage 2, level 32 and really enjoying the depth and the open world.

• BLueBEarBLueBEar Member Posts: 242

My wife and I are sitting here thinking about what game to play, why because every game levels too damn fast now. We miss the FFXI days, or DAOC in it s early days. I had a real connection with my chars in those games and really miss the communities that came with most of those games. We recently tried Aion, only to leave for Cata:( We ve decided to go back to Aion because it takes time and some challenge to progress. This is coming from 2 of the more casual players you ll meet. So to sum it up, I hope more games will come out in the future where I don t get 4-5 levels in a day, doing next to nothing:)

try out an mmo without levels, to name a few... ultima online, meridian 59, wurm online

Oh my got!!!
    i neber see a graphic of this before,
    i neber p2p any game before, but this game i must!

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Then why do you dislike WOW, with its quest content so much superior to other MMORPGs on the market?

It has the better journey, why are you focusing on the dings coming in faster?

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Axehilt

Then why do you dislike WOW, with its quest content so much superior to other MMORPGs on the market?

Not to rain on your parade but that is just your opinion and not a fact.

And most old timers like leveling, and I don't see the problem with that. The whole endgame focus we seen in the last few years at least made MMOs more boring for me.

Leveling used to be fun, now it is just a tutorial.

• stormridersstormriders Member Posts: 35

F2P games are more grinding than P2P games. I am playing Iris Online and if you are into anime style mmorpg, its a great game.

• kevjards1234kevjards1234 Member Posts: 30

yeah i know wot u mean m8, but i think its a financial move imo..to make players think they are gettin somewhere if u know wot i mean. i played vanguard for 2 years and loved every bit of it, slow levelling with diplomacy, crafting to match..dont think we will see those types of games again.

Not everybody likes WoW type quest gameplay which is not even close to being superior to other mmoprgs. There is nonthing better than free open world mmos. Its good to finally  see more and more people getting past that flavor of the month phase and now are looking for something different. In a real mmo the people that play it are the game and not some fed x quest.

Originally posted by Loke666

And most old timers like leveling, and I don't see the problem with that. The whole endgame focus we seen in the last few years at least made MMOs more boring for me.

Regardless of leveling speed or the structure around it, you do cooler shit in WOW than simply grinding mobs.

Unless killing mobs repeatedly is literally the only thing you care about, WOW simply offers a better breadth of activities than other games.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Regardless of leveling speed or the structure around it, you do cooler shit in WOW than simply grinding mobs.

Unless killing mobs repeatedly is literally the only thing you care about, WOW simply offers a better breadth of activities than other games.

Cooler shit like what? What makes WoWs quest based gameplay any different then games like Lord Of the Rings or Everquest 2?

• TheShimmersTheShimmers Member Posts: 76

Todays MMO make it a #1 priority to get gear. No one cares taking in the sights or reading the stories it's about what gear you have and if it's better then what the other player has. Leveling fast keeps them going because "Just a bit more to the max level where I can start getting the best gear and own people!". If it's to slow people lose interest cause they aren't being awesome and better then other people cause that's what matters in games nothing else.

Cooler shit like what? What makes WoWs quest based gameplay any different then games like Lord Of the Rings or Everquest 2?

The number of different types of activities is considerably larger than other games.

• Joust minigame.

• Plants vs Zombies minigame.

• Jumping from back to back of dragons as you kill them.

• Killing people while you're both on the same dragon.

• Pseudo-RTS minigame.

• Using grappling hooks to pull dwarves off gryphons flying in the air, before killing them.

• Laying landmines to kill incoming rushes of enemies.

• Fighting off werewolves as they chase you on horseback, while you flee through a forest

• Becoming an giant abomination and fighting off waves of incoming zombies.

• Firing grappling lines at giants and pulling on it to bring them down (AT-AT style)

• Sneaking through enemy patrols stealthed to set demolition packs.

• Gunning a tank turret.

• Bombing from a bomber.

• Obliterating things with dragonfire on dragon back.

• Switching between tailgun, bomber, and engineer slots on a long bombing mission.

• Rolling as a fireball to obliterate 1000 gnomes (Katamari minigame)

• Entering the spirit realm to kill haunting spirits who can't normally be seen.

• Becoming a death knight with completely unique abilities to fight off waves of spirits.

• Dropping an ogre into a airship prop, slicing him into pieces.

• Becoming the lich king and raising an army, starting with a single corpse.

• Taming a seahorse by holding on tight as it tries to shake you.

• Running from safe zone to safe zone inside the maw of madness as you kill tentacles to save shaman friends (who join you in combat.)

• Leading packs of enemies with artillery fire.

• Driving a steam tank.

This isn't subjective preference.  The breadth of unique activities is objectively larger.

(sorry for the incomplete list...I got bored.)

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

...still looking for the fighting while on dragons one... sounds interesting

The number of different types of activities is considerably larger than other games.

• Joust minigame.

• Plants vs Zombies minigame.

• Jumping from back to back of dragons as you kill them.

• Killing people while you're both on the same dragon.

• Pseudo-RTS minigame.

• Using grappling hooks to pull dwarves off gryphons flying in the air, before killing them.

• Laying landmines to kill incoming rushes of enemies.

• Fighting off werewolves as they chase you on horseback, while you flee through a forest

• Becoming an giant abomination and fighting off waves of incoming zombies.

• Firing grappling lines at giants and pulling on it to bring them down (AT-AT style)

• Sneaking through enemy patrols stealthed to set demolition packs.

• Gunning a tank turret.

• Bombing from a bomber.

• Obliterating things with dragonfire on dragon back.

• Switching between tailgun, bomber, and engineer slots on a long bombing mission.

• Rolling as a fireball to obliterate 1000 gnomes (Katamari minigame)

• Entering the spirit realm to kill haunting spirits who can't normally be seen.

• Becoming a death knight with completely unique abilities to fight off waves of spirits.

• Dropping an ogre into a airship prop, slicing him into pieces.

• Becoming the lich king and raising an army, starting with a single corpse.

• Taming a seahorse by holding on tight as it tries to shake you.

• Running from safe zone to safe zone inside the maw of madness as you kill tentacles to save shaman friends (who join you in combat.)

• Leading packs of enemies with artillery fire.

• Driving a steam tank.

This isn't subjective preference.  The breadth of unique activities is objectively larger.

(sorry for the incomplete list...I got bored.)

Sounds just like any other theme park quest based game out there and it all of it sounds like stuff a 10 year old kid would enjoy doing. If a mmo came out and gave a list like that of things to do people would laugh. That is not what people are looking for. The MAN is looking for a real mmo that offers challenge for him and his wife.