Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

From Tera game faq..... Tera is a sandox?

ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

+Is TERA an open-world or instanced game?

TERA is an open-world sandbox game with certain instanced areas.

Sandbox? did i miss something here?

Comments

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

They might be decieving themselves.

This is not a game.

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

I think that's a really outdated FAQ statement, back at the time I'm sure there was a lot of uncertainty of what kind of product they were going to publish.

I think it's up to them to either verify and elaborate or just rectify this misunderstanding. In the meantime, I wouldn't worry much about it. I don't think it's going to be labeled as a sandbox game, having said that, I'm not quite sure what the requirements for being one is either.

• bygeorgebygeorge Member UncommonPosts: 104

I guess it depends on your definition of "sandbox"

Posted by Tithus

"But that aside, this thread is dead, Jim. The answer is in the FAQ. TERA is a sandbox game with certain instanced areas.

This isn't the thread to debate the definition of sandbox, although gosh, we haven't had THAT fight in at least a week, so I look forward to the new version of that one popping up any second now"

http://www.tera-online.com/forums/showpost.php?p=219581&postcount=30

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

So En Masse has cleverly thrown ball in to players court and let them interpret what sandbox really means. Clever tactics.

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

Sandbox as in they've given us the tools to create the world we''ll be playing in, politically anyway, which will inpact us all!!!

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Tera will be open world, non linear and the players will have the power to actually control the world of Tera through the Political System and thats what gives it Sandbox gameplay.If all this is delivered as promised it will be the exact type of Sandbox game that I am looking for.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

The definition of sandbox has changed and I think for the better. The story telling is a lot stronger now than before with games and that leads them to be more linear (theme park) than others. Besides that I don't care either way I like the game mechanics, combat, and new ideas they are adding to the genre.

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

Originally posted by Mannish

Tera will be open world, non linear and the players will have the power to actually control the world of Tera through the Political System and thats what gives it Sandbox gameplay.If all this is delivered as promised it will be the exact type of Sandbox game that I am looking for.

I guess Vanguard is a sandbox too then? i checked all the info i could about this MMO and not one single thing made me believe it is a sandbox. En Masse need to fix their faq.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

Vanguard does not have a political system where players can run for office and get elected by the game community. If you don't think its a sandbox then don't play it. They don't have to fix anything for you.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

TERA is no sandbox like EVE is. TERA has set classes and skills like any other MMO out there. The reason BlueHole calls TERA a sandbox is their PvP system. You're not set to a faction, but server politics determine what factions you get and which clan is against (or with) an other clan.

Basically, if TERA is a sandbox, then Lineage II (where half the dev team comes from) is one as well, and I know it's not :D

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

I'm going to borrow this from terafans, why Tera IS a sandbox:

"Sandbox" is a hot topic word because it's used in many different ways with everyone believing their definition is the only definition.

For me, I hear that word and think, "Exploration won't be hampered except for by your level". In other words, you can explore anywhere in the world you want, but expect to get one-hit if you aggro a level 60 mob when you're level 12. :) It also generically describes a world in which there are "few" rules and no specific objectives, which isn't really the case in most modern MMOs, but does describe parts of TERA.

A few examples of sandboxy (player-driven) things in TERA would be:

1. Politics

2. Guild/alliance building

3. OwPVP and PVP servers so there are fewer rules

4. Player skill determining ability to complete content and compete in PvP instead of grinding to have "the right gear" to progress

5. No differences between PVE/PVP gear so you can compete in either at any time

6. Multiple zones to level up in for each level range (options for leveling up, instead of only one path)

7. Multiple options for buying, selling, and trading goods (Auction House, Homunculus, Haggling)

8. Guild housing (we don't know enough yet, but if location/availability is contended, that's sandboxy)

Tera is not a "true" sandbox as in it still has levels and classes, but other than that it qualifies as a sandbox game as opposed to other games.

Vanguard does not have a political system where players can run for office and get elected by the game community. If you don't think its a sandbox then don't play it. They don't have to fix anything for you.

Why so defensive? did i say fix anything for me but Tera is not a sandbox. One or two features doesn't make a MMO sandbox if it was so even Fallen Earth and Vanguard would be a sandbox for its open and seamless world. There are no instances in sandbox MMO.

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?

How do you know Lineage 2 is not a sandbox since you said you know its not?
    Originally posted by Paradoxy

Why so defensive? did i say fix anything for me but Tera is not a sandbox. One or two features doesn't make a MMO sandbox if it was so even Fallen Earth and Vanguard would be a sandbox for its open and seamless world. There are no instances in sandbox MMO.

I don't care about Fallen Earth or Vanguard. Post a link showing a definition of what a Sandbox game is.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012

How do you know Lineage 2 is not a sandbox since you said you know its not?

I actually consider Lineage 2 a sandbox of sorts. The thrust of the game play is certainly not gathering quests to turn them in. as you know the game play centers around player interaction.

It's all about what a player wants to make of it. Oh sure you can't have total control over making a classeless character but I really don't think that is anything other than superficial.

One logs in and has to figure out what they want to do and what they want to be without being led around here and there. I think that's pretty sandboxy for those who are looking to follow their own destiny.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

Yeah I would consider Lineage 2 to be one as well. The economy is completely player driven, after you start playing you have to have a general idea of what you want to do, if you want to craft, you craft, if you want to pvp you build for that. Its all up to the user.

Originally posted by Paradoxy

I don't care about Fallen Earth or Vanguard. Post a link showing a definition of what a Sandbox game is.

Why do i need to copy paste definiton of MMO when all you have to do is play one like Ryzom for example.

As I thought you are just talking and have no idea what you are talking about. Don't worry because it seems that you are not alone.

Originally posted by Reizla

TERA is no sandbox like EVE is. TERA has set classes and skills like any other MMO out there. The reason BlueHole calls TERA a sandbox is their PvP system. You're not set to a faction, but server politics determine what factions you get and which clan is against (or with) an other clan.

Basically, if TERA is a sandbox, then Lineage II (where half the dev team comes from) is one as well, and I know it's not :D

I just don't agree that L2 is not a sandbox. I would agree that it might not be as robust of a sandbox as some earlier games but the game play reallyi is just about player interaction. That's it. You buy and sell from players, gear can be removed from the game so new gear needs to be created, players fight over resources, they make deals to come to each other's aid and whatever quests that are in the game are pretty much there as an alternative or in a few cases to make it to sub class or second class change etc.

I just can't buy that a sandbox has to have every single aspect that a person lists as "sandbox". The thrust of the game play is not created by the developers and rests solely on the player and what he/she wants to do.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• WindamereWindamere Member UncommonPosts: 75

You people have gotten way off course on what "Sanbox" game is:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

An open world is a type of video game level design concept where a player can freely roam a virtual world.[1]

The term is sometimes used interchangeably with "sandbox" and "free-roaming";[2][3] however, the terms open world and free-roaming describe the game environment itself and allude more to the absence of artificial barriers,[4] in contrast to the invisible walls and loading screens that are common in linear level designs. The term sandbox refers more to the mechanics of a game and how, as in a physical sandbox, the user is entertained by his ability to play creatively, boundless of artificial structural constraints, and with there being "no right way"[5] of playing the game.

Despite their name, many open world games still enforce restrictions at some points in the game environment, either due to absolute game design limitations or temporary in-game limitations (such as locked areas) imposed by a game's linearity.

There are only 3 games that I know of that currently foots that bill:

Tales in the Desert

Second life

Wurm online

ALL of these other games you people are listing as "sandbox" has restrictions of play in some sort or another.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by Sovrath

I just don't agree that L2 is not a sandbox. I would agree that it might not be as robust of a sandbox as some earlier games but the game play reallyi is just about player interaction. That's it. You buy and sell from players, gear can be removed from the game so new gear needs to be created, players fight over resources, they make deals to come to each other's aid and whatever quests that are in the game are pretty much there as an alternative or in a few cases to make it to sub class or second class change etc.

I just can't buy that a sandbox has to have every single aspect that a person lists as "sandbox". The thrust of the game play is not created by the developers and rests solely on the player and what he/she wants to do.

Uhm... According to this definition, even WoW is a sandbox. Players there gather resources as well, craft and make the economy on the resources, and thus the carfted items as well :)

I agree, that in serverpolitics, L2 and TERA are sandboxes, but other than that it's just a "theme-park" as WoW is.

BTW... I am an old L2 player and I loved the politics in the game. It's something I think L2 should be praised for - too bad bots hold the servers in a tight grip. I hope TERA will have similar mechanics, and that's the only reason for me to wait for TERA ;)

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

Of course Tera is Sandbox.

Some people dont agree couse they have some hardcore visions of a sandbox game, and come with lists of things that a sondbox game must fullfill, lists that were made by even bigger geeks with no sence of tolerance ... you see, its nonesence.

Tera is sandbox. End of line :)

Originally posted by Sovrath

Uhm... According to this definition, even WoW is a sandbox. Players there gather resources as well, craft and make the economy on the resources, and thus the carfted items as well :)

I agree, that in serverpolitics, L2 and TERA are sandboxes, but other than that it's just a "theme-park" as WoW is.

BTW... I am an old L2 player and I loved the politics in the game. It's something I think L2 should be praised for - too bad bots hold the servers in a tight grip. I hope TERA will have similar mechanics, and that's the only reason for me to wait for TERA ;)

I've seen that arguement before but it still doesn't ring true.

Yes, one crafts in WoW and has quite a few things to do. But the thrust of the game play is questing/raiding. The thrust of Lineage 2 is only player interaction. There are some quests but people usually don't do them and one can raid but there is always the threat of being attacked by players.

this is why i think the whole sandbox/themepark argument has issues. Because there is a list of things that I don't think really matters.

The crux of the argument should always be "what is the crux of the gameplay, How are players introduced to the game and how do they access the content.

In Lineage 2 you appear, they have a noob guide to help you a bit and that's pretty much it. You really aren't led too much from quest hub to quest hub. You see a lot of this in Rift for instance.

The entire Lineage 2 game play is completely about how the variouis groups and sub groups interact. Not so with a game like WoW which is more about you showing up to the quest/raid.

By allowing a classless system it might be more robust as a sandbox game but it is not themepark in that your experience is scripted out, where you just show up to each quest hub, grab your stuff and move on to the next.

I remember playing lotro and then having to log out to attend a huge siege in L2. When I logged in and saw all the commotion I knew right than and there that what went on in L2 was far more palpable, far more impactful then anything I could ever hope to do in LOTRO.

We were about to be attacked by most of the server to remove us from Aden. We gathered a significant allied force. The entire server was practically involved and it would have a resounding effect on the world and our alliance.

In LOTRO I log in, say hello, might do a raid or quest a bit or explore and that's about it. And that's about it for most people with the exception of those in monster play who go back and forth between each other to hold keeps that really don't matter very much.

That is why I think it's a sandbox. Because that really is the essence of L2 game play, the player who holds Dion hostage, or the alliance who holds Cruma hostage or the pkers who took control of talking island, etc.

None of that is planned out by the devs. You are just given the ability to wage war or to make alliances as you choose. That to me is far more sandbox than a game like lOTRO or wow.

As I thought you are just talking and have no idea what you are talking about. Don't worry because it seems that you are not alone.

Ehh? ok lol sure that was a very convincing argument. You asked me to give you a definition of a sandbox i suggested you to go ahead and play one. I am pretty sure playing a sandbox MMO is a lot better than reading a copy paste version of what is a sandbox.

I am currently playing a sandbox game and have been for 5 years. Tera may not be your idea of a sandbox but that does not mean that its not one.