Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Living up to the Promise

Kazzdude1Kazzdude1 Member UncommonPosts: 17

Before I begin this, I'd like to state that I'm a dedicated Guild Wars fan. I do end up taking breaks from it every so often, but I own Guild Wars Prophecies, Factions, and Nightfall. I've not beaten them, but I have my fair share of time in them. Enough to say that Guild Wars is a pretty epic game. So when I hear about the features of Guild Wars 2, it sounds amazing, almost too amazing. This is where the problem comes in: Will Guild Wars be able to live up to all its hyped to be?

Realise the impotence of proof reading everything you publish

Comments

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

Originally posted by Kazzdude1

Before I begin this, I'd like to state that I'm a dedicated Guild Wars fan. I do end up taking breaks from it every so often, but I own Guild Wars Prophecies, Factions, and Nightfall. I've not beaten them, but I have my fair share of time in them. Enough to say that Guild Wars is a pretty epic game. So when I hear about the features of Guild Wars 2, it sounds amazing, almost too amazing. This is where the problem comes in: Will Guild Wars be able to live up to all its hyped to be?

Anything and everything they've said to be in the game is, as gamescon demo people will testify, alive and kicking and kicking ass too.

As to living up to the hype, it depends on whether or not people expect a game, or jesus.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

Originally posted by ComfyChair

Anything and everything they've said to be in the game is, as gamescon demo people will testify, alive and kicking and kicking ass too.

As to living up to the hype, it depends on whether or not people expect a game, or jesus.

i think it's clear people are expecting jesus. =P but didn't a few gamescon guys say Rift was an amazing game?  it seems to be getting bashed pretty badly now....

admittedly what i heard of rift from gamescon and what i saw in videos didn't make me the slightest bit interested to be honest, many said it was 'alright but nothing special' compared to the 'zomg guild wars 2' i got from gamescon players.

As long as people realise that there will be bits of guild wars 2 that won't be perfect (although they'll likely be small aspects judging by the arenanet staffs agonising [for us due to the wait] perfectionism), however by the looks it most of it really looks like it's going to be a major step in MMO genre that's been, as you'll surely agree, stagnant for too long.

It's the reason why it's been top of the hype meter for so long here at MMORPG.

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

i am sure that ANET will live up to its promise to deliver an MMO that will be vastly different from what we are all playing right now
    they are extremely careful about talking only about features that are already in the game (see my sig)

but its another thing about living to the hype, and i wont fault ANET if they dont. Hype is 90% generated by fans, and some of those hype is placed on wrong expectations.

I wont be surprised if on launch day some fans will have some issues about the game because of their misplaced expectations.

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• AblestronAblestron Member Posts: 333

people will alwase find reasons to bash something, even if it is something good. Best to just wait and try it for yourself when the time comes.

• tavoctavoc Member UncommonPosts: 257

Anyone that has played guild wars for more than a few weeks can tell you that anet knows what they are doing. Realy at this point its not IF but HOW they deliver this game and the features talked about. Which then if you have kept up with this game as i have you would relize they are also doing that well even before its ready to come out! So in the end its realy what the player by player expectaitons are, Alot of people are seeing things in this game by somone shooting off at the mouth to fit into conversation and not even looking it up.. there will also be misunderstandings by thos, (which normaly are ALOT of people) who just dont thouroghly look at it. Anyway in the end were looking at a company that has proved time, and time again they know what they are doing.. lets face it, they walk the walk.

Guild wars 2, without a doubt will be an amazing game, from start to finish. and now before you guys start jumping at " you havent played it yet" i have been watching this game for some time now, played the original and just went back to get my 50 hom points. also i have been one who has played games from launch, getting exited from hype just to be let down. (played wow, aoc, aion just for some exacmples from launch, some in beta) so realy i can say that i know what to look for in these games, and what is more likely just smoke to hard fact. Rant aside, This game will not be for every single player, it is impossible to do that. Realy the fact is most of the features they are adding are thing that alot of mmo players have been waiting for. also the BtP model will bring a much larger pop than other games simply cuz of the lack of sub. So for now, sit back, watch the news come out and get ready for its launch.. Not saying its going to be the best game ever hands down.. but for the mmo market today.. yeah... lol

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Just incase, you know its not going to be anything like GW1 right?

This is not a game.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

Originally posted by Tazlor

Originally posted by ComfyChair

i think it's clear people are expecting jesus. =P but didn't a few gamescon guys say Rift was an amazing game?  it seems to be getting bashed pretty badly now....

aint how I remember it - ofc could depend on what sites we roam, I remember it as RIFT had a rather...meh...reaction, but GW2 getting were very well recieved, together with TERA, TERA for its action combat, but ofc so many people have been to the gamescon so certainly some have liked RIFT as well.

and yes GW 2 are the pixelated Jesus....we all know it :P

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

At the base of everything, ArenaNet has promised a different/alternative to the rather grindy MMO's on the market today. I believe they can and will deliver on this.

They did not promise that upon release every player would want change, and so, I expect a few to dislike the game.

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

reducing grind....adding more game

world PvP thats aimed for causals with multi objectives and changing enemies  ( im sure hardcore players will make their roam groups known) 

hardcore team biased PvP

dungeons with multiple ways to go as well as well as a story mode that will be largely different then your first run through.

more skill biased game with weapons having similar stats.

Guild Wars 2 has game..and the devs behind it to back it up (as well as the fans) 

Will Guild Wars 2 live up to the promises   OF COURSE 

Will it be the end all of MMO gaming OF COURSE NOT

Will I play it for years to come..it depends on content but so far it looks like it 

I have Faith

Indeed, there will be players who won't like this game. Whether not genuinely or because it'll be 'cool' not to when it becomes extremely popular.

Doesn't matter to me if they don't play it, as i think it'll be awesome so only their loss (but they are perfectly entitled to choose what they do with their time and money) :D