Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else go from no interest to very big interest in this one?

13»

Comments

• ShadusShadus Member UncommonPosts: 669

My interest in TOR has been steadily dropping as they announce things. The only reason I still have any interest is because of who is developing it and the number of good SW games they've done in the past.

Shadus

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by Shadus

My interest in TOR has been steadily dropping as they announce things. The only reason I still have any interest is because of who is developing it and the number of good SW games they've done in the past.

one ?

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Originally posted by vanderghast

I went from being majorly interested to barely caring.  When it was announced i was like OMFG finally a star wars MMO that'll be done right.

Then the first screenshots came out and i was like, ok wtf is with these stupid cartoony character models?

Then more details of the game came out and i was thinking "hmmm this might not be the game i'm looking for"

Then the details of space on rails came out. And my opinion changed to, ok wtf are these guys smoking calling this star wars?

So true, so sadly true.. :D

I will give it a try though with bounty hunter too..

but after the game's out for at least a half of a year so I dont throw 50$ for crap like STO and general chat starts to calm down(no "ZOMG this copies WOW"/"STFU you childish faggot this game is ub3r l33T" etc)

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Originally posted by Raora

people who complain about the graphics really amuse me lol

I hate the cartoony look as well but I can see why they did it.  One. . it appeals to younger people as well. . but mostly  because they stand up to the test of time better.  It took my guild forever to get me to try WoW. . I hated the cartoony look.   Imagine if they had launched that game in 2005 with "realistic" graphics.. . how craptastic that would look today!

I guess we need to be careful when we say "graphics" when what we mean is "art style".  I dislike the art style for SWTOR but the graphics look  great from a technical perspective.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Originally posted by thamighty213

Originally posted by Shadus

one ?

Well sort of one.  The did hire guys from Star Wars battle front did they not?  If Shadus means the ones that Obsidian did then he would be mistaken yes.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Kinda funy how every one calls it cartoony grapics.

WoW has cortoon like grapics compared to that SW:TOR seems more realistic. EQ2, vanguard, AoC,SWG all are not considered cartoony grapics yet they all are far from realistic.

point is, people just gota have someting to complain about,

Thing is, in most games I just chance the contrast / lighting to my own preference , some games over do whit colors so I turn those down and make stuff seem way more realistic. its a personal thing.

The diference between swg and SW:Tor aint very big , more detail,better suroundings, more shadow work. higher resolutions but quite the same style once you turn down the color contrast/gamma

The only game that has photo realistic grapics is EvE online and their character models are not even out yet.

Kinda intresting to see what people that complain about the art style play now ..I probaly would laugh alot.

SW:ToR

SWG

• KorithianKorithian Member Posts: 243

Originally posted by whilan

Originally posted by Korithian

The more I see of this game the more it feels like its going to be the NGE 2. The OP listed the things that made SWGs great and then the NGE managed to remove them. Because someone somewhere though it was too complex and wanted a themepark world.

Now the NGE wasn't the best gaming experience ever but as we learn about space combat being a tunnel shooter, i.e the one thing the NGE did manage to dumb down ToR has found a way.  The game experience will be heavily story lead so it will be a go to a then b then c then all the way through to z. Your experience is linked to your class so even if you think it would be more fun to do a different quest type you can't cause you are stuck doing your class quests. So your mates might tell you about some great quest but the only way you will get to see it is the roll a class your not interested in.

Ultimately I think ToR will be delayed (if you can believe the community managers statement of Spring 2011) till late 2011 where it will seem dated and people will rather wait on Guild Wars 2.

Incorrect Korithian, the only thing of that quest you can't do really is the personal story, everything else, crafting, raids, group encounters (flashpoints) you will have access to.  If your friend on that side can do it and it's not part of the personal story, you can do it to.

Only the personal quest is linked like that.  The rest of the game is open world.  Much like how GW2 does it, believe it or not.

DE=normal repeatable quests

Personal quest is the same thing

Your personal quest is linked to your character, the worlds and other quests are not.

Their target release date is spring 2011, it will depend on what people are looking for, most people are looking for a great story.  That is something GW2 hasn't really touched on.

Seeing as you have the wrong impression on the game i might direct you to the full feature list.  Wouldn't want someone ill informed when making statement.

Check my sig for the full feature list.

Really hate to say it but the class story is the thing BW have been hyping for the past 2 and a bit years and what is ment to make this game stand out from the crowd. They talk about consequence and about choices and story. And this will all be part of your personal story. When asked about the PvP instances story we were informed there would be some but it wouldn't be as indepth as the class story. Cause they want to make it repeatable so it has to be very open world (much like any other MMO out there). The same with every open world quest (the group and faction specific one) that we hear about are the kill 10 rats or flesheaters or whatever.

From what we have heard the class story is ment to take you on up to max level. That there will be group quests is great and PvP (though we don't know what form this will take) and offline crafting also a lovely MMO convention. But we are yet to hear anything that says this game is going to be more than WAR with VO and Story. One of the biggest problems with WAR was the way you followed the yellow brick road from the beach/portal/warcamp along through the land killing critters till you found the vaunted RvR area. And then off to the next map where you followed the road to the wizard. And I get the feeling that aside from the liniere story where you follow (in the case of a sith) from one master who you murder to the next. There will be little innovation for a game launched in 2011.

For someone that knows so much of how GW2 will be doing stuff you seem to have missed their video explaining how the game will revolve round your character and that you will be picking a background that will have effects on the game and consequences for the player. Which sounds like a story to me. Only perhaps they didn't keep banging on about it to the exclusion of anything game related which might be why it was missed.

I also find it interesting how you can speak for most people. Comes off as very arrogent to think you are so important that you can speak for most people. I would also be greatful if you could get most people to come and say that all they are interested in an MMO is story. Cause I would have wrongly, as it turns out given you know what most people want, thought that most mmo fans would have wanted a great mmo. While people looking for a great story might be able to find it elsewhere maybe in the form of a book or a film. And that focusing on one aspect of an MMO such as say only talking always about RvR and how great that was going to be have been a bit of a mistake.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Okay what i meant by that statement was that most people who are interested in this game are interested in the story aspect of the game.  I did not mean to say i spoke for everyone, sorry if thats how it came out.

I did take a look at quite a few videos of the DE and other then it specifically saying it was a quest, it looked like to me exactly that.

You are notified of an area under attack, you proceed and when you get there, a DE event is going on.  You can either save the village and it's saved or you don't (fail) and it's destroyed.  After a while it resets and you do it all over again, kinda like a repeatable quest.  I don't know everything about the game but what i do know is what i'm basing it off of.  Granted you can pick a backstory but if i recall (i may be wrong here) is that is done at character creation, after that you are basically going along with the story based on what you choose at creation.

you stated that this game would be heavily story lead.  Thus making it sound like the personal story is pretty much everything the game would have to offer, which isn't true.

It will have a personal story, but it wanes off as you get later into the game, your personal story takes up about 60 percent for the starter planets, 40 percent for the next set of planets (mid game) and 20 percent for the core planets (where you'll be spending most of your time).  

The only thing i corrected you on was the fact that you said. "Your experience is linked to your class so even if you think it would be more fun to do a different quest type you can't cause you are stuck doing your class quests."

Which is only true during your personal story and no where else.  I never said it wasn't go to A do B, collect C.

Edit: If you meant another person's class quests, then yeah you can't do another person class quest, but you couldn't do that anway (unless i'm mistaken) not even in GW2 can you do another person class quest. 

But you stated quest type, which basically means solo quest, class quests, group quests, guild quests, raid quests that sorta thing, in which case only your class quest is closed to everyone but you, everything else can be done with others.

End edit*

As for Bw hyping it. Thats because thats a marketing standpoint, most MMO story is pretty bland, and Bw is known for their stories.  However if you look more into the game, you will see it's more then just a story. I'd like to direct you to the full feature list posted in my sig for all the features. It has quite a bit more then just the story.

Additional edit: They have already stated PvP would take place in warzones, and open areas.  As well as a pvp server.

The biggest problem with war was the weak PvE from what i heard.  Anyway they have stated that you will have reasons to go back to your starter world.  So it's not a linear path in the effect that your always going to be leaving planets behind with no reason to go back. Most of the innovation is the story but you do have others like enemy AI (hiding behind barriers) and the cover system.

The only reason i took a shot at GW2 is because everyone acts like the DE next best thing, when it really is all just a repeatable quest.  Leastwise thats how i see it.

Other then the DE events they boost a enemy AI and dodging (both of which you can do in ToR) i fail to see what GW2 has done that is so much better then what ToR has done that makes it so innovating, but thats my feelings and i don't want to turn this thread into GW2 and ToR.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• YilelienYilelien Member UncommonPosts: 324

I have been watching this game scince i heard about it being made.

IMO i have kept a pretty level head about it. Tried not to get to excited/bummed about what i hear or read.

My wife on the other hand says i look like a kid in the candy store every time i hear about it and jump up and down like im standing on hot coals... Of course i think that she is totally wrong and i keep my cool Jedi exterior up and my light saber at the ready and am ready to squash all sith that tries to impose their...err i mean yeah. Looking forward to it.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by EndDream

As information comes out I am getting more excited as well. Initially I was super pumped, but then it got to the point where I wasn't planning on getting it again. But now I am back, the beta leaks are what really has me excited now.

My buddy has been enjoying the Beta. I am looking forward to the game more now than previously. 

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

The game has caught my interest in the last year.  I went from giving up on MMO's in 2009 to wanting so badly to get into SW:TOR when 2011 comes.

For the record the only MMO's that held my attention were UO, AoC, and WoW.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• VegettaVegetta Member Posts: 438

Originally posted by darwa
    Other way around for me :/

Ditto

the more info they are releasing the less I am looking forward to this :( ( I really wanted to like it) I'm still not writing it off tho (Trying to keep an open mind)

I guess i will see what i think if I get into the open beta - otherwise I will probably wait for a free trial...

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

I didn't start out very interested in this game, but I too have become more and more interested. I definately will play it. NOw it is just the long wait ahead.. 4 more months?

It seems like this game and gw2 will be the only games worth checking out atm,  From what I heard about rift... yea it sounds good in some ways , but not good in others.

Just have to try and get into the rift beta to decide about that game.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"