Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warcraft is based off realistc graphics, yet its cartoony

Just look at all the art and FMV made for WoW and warcraft games, they all look realistic like lord of the rings, WoW was made cartoony so it would be accepted by a wider audience, and look just how much warcraft has EXPLODED in popularity

To try and make a game look like AoC or Vangaurd after clearly those games have floped would be puting the nails in the coffin, "fantasy" based graphics is simply the way to go with games now

Go play dying AoC if you wish for your realistic graphics

Comments

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Originally posted by Bahamut231

Just look at all the art and FMV made for WoW and warcraft games, they all look realistic like lord of the rings, WoW was made cartoony so it would be accepted by a wider audience, and look just how much warcraft has EXPLODED in popularity

To try and make a game look like AoC or Vangaurd after clearly those games have floped would be puting the nails in the coffin, "fantasy" based graphics is simply the way to go with games now

Go play dying AoC if you wish for your realistic graphics

God people should realise that WoW is an EXCEPTION, an error in the matrix!!!

There are tons of "stylized" or "cartoony" MMOs that absolutely failed, just because WoW pulled it off doesnt mean every game with WoW features will pull it off - people should start looking at why games failed instead of why WoW is such a success - it was one giant mistake, the game kinda like won a lotterry

WoW IS NOT A RULE!

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Warcraft has being made cartoony because models require less polygons therefore the game can run in 100% of PCs

AoC at launch could barely run on the latest system, while Vanguard could only run on NASA computers

The Art Style in itself has nothing to do with the success of  WoW

I play WoW but I would rather see the models I see in the cinematics instead of my "cute" toon

• RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

Warcraft was cartoony from the very beginning... when it was released in 1994 or whenever it was. Warcraft 2 was also cartoony, as was WC3. The warcraft universe have a history of being cartoony.

Yeah, theres probably concept art and such that is less cartoony,  but im not sure how relevant that is to your "point" when the majority of all things Warcraft is indeed cartoony..?

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

I am currently playing WoW on a friends account (on the side).  I will say that the "cartoony" aspect of WoW is the very reason I would never pay to play this game.  WoW has managed to do some good things in their game and this has earned them a bunch of subscriptions, but I personally hate playing a "Smurf" looking toon in a "Spongebob" world.

If I had to list one specific thing that garners WoW so many subscriptions, I  would probably say it is the simple ease of playing the game.  I mean, it doesn't even get difficult until level 30 or so.  They suck you in with the false achievement and then you really want to make the toon better OR try another toon and see if you can "do it so well".  It really is a good model and I give them credit for it, but the art style forces me away from the game, it does not hold me into it.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• dummenumsedummenumse Member Posts: 81

I ran AoC with maxed out graphics settings.

It really was not impressive at all.

If you want to hire Machete to kill the bad guys, you better make damn sure the bad guy isnt you!

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I'm confused here, why are we talking about WoW and it's graphics in a ToR forum? Unless of course this is another discussion about how ToR uses realism cartoon style graphics just like WoW.  Games are allowed to share art styles, it's in the execution that matters.  As long as they don't copy 1 to 1 (which ToR doesn't) then you are okay.

As long as Tor is fun to play and looks alright then we are fine.  ToR's graphics from what I saw look just fine to me.  As for the discussion.  I'm not sure in which direction this is going as it's kinda like WoW saying i'm based on realistic graphics and did much better then you AoC because people can play me better, and ToR is like why are you two in my room again?

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• JWillCHSJWillCHS Member UncommonPosts: 75

Originally posted by whilan

I'm confused here, why are we talking about WoW and it's graphics in a ToR forum? Unless of course this is another discussion about how ToR uses realism cartoon style graphics just like WoW.  Games are allowed to share art styles, it's in the execution that matters.  As long as they don't copy 1 to 1 (which ToR doesn't) then you are okay.

As long as Tor is fun to play and looks alright then we are fine.  ToR's graphics from what I saw look just fine to me.  As for the discussion.  I'm not sure in which direction this is going as it's kinda like WoW saying i'm based on realistic graphics and did much better then you AoC because people can play me better, and ToR is like why are you two in my room again?

I was saying the exact same thing. Who cares? The Old Republic is not only one of the most anticipated MMORPGs this year, but also one of the most anicipated games period. No one needs to convince me to pay attention to this Bioware title.