Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Effect on Steam won't work

MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

So I spent about 10 hours downloading Mass Effect off steam, and when i clicked play it said Mass Effect has stopped working and windows won't give me a solution to the problem.  I am almost through with buying games on steam cause the downloads only work like 50% of the time, it's really frustrating. Could someone give me any advice? 

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

wow 10 hours whats up with ya net connection...

I have never had a single issue downloading numerous games from steam infact i do most of my gaming from steam as its just easier...

If there is a fault in windows it wont fix it for you... Your best bet tho is to post on the steam forums instead of a random MMORPG general discusion forum :)

Does your computer meet the minimum specs to run this game ? Dont want to be negative but its not steam that has the issue its either your PC or your internet connection..

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

I mean my computer is a 1.5k dollar gaming computer, I would hope it would have the specs to run the game. It plays FFXIV and GTA4 on max graphics just fine, don't see why it couldn't play mass effect. 

• DeathTouchDeathTouch Member UncommonPosts: 508

i just recently reinstalled mass effect on my windows 7 64bit machine. it crashed every time i tried to get into setup. i ran the patch and all is good. check that and see if you have the latest. think its 1.03.

Thats cool then just making sure.. so there is an issue with software instaleld or maybe your net connection messed up the download from the steam servers.

You can do a file check on the installed games, i believe if you right click on the game there is an option there, it should then scan all the game files to try and find any issues.

But again try on the steam forums. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=e74a497690f675d8e49e72e2d635bd2f&f=498

those are the specific ones for mass effect...

Steam usually updates games to the latest version... usually not sure about the mass effect games tho..

Originally posted by DeathTouch

i just recently reinstalled mass effect on my windows 7 64bit machine. it crashed every time i tried to get into setup. i ran the patch and all is good. check that and see if you have the latest. think its 1.03.

where can I get this patch? 

Steam has probally already updated it as steam handles all game updates as far as i know...

Also quickly looking at the forums are you running Wn7 or Vista if so start steam in admin mode, close steam right click the steam icon and click run as admin.. see if that works..

Originally posted by Caldrin

Steam has probally already updated it as steam handles all game updates as far as i know...

Well then what could be the problem, do I need to reinstall the damn thing? 

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,299

Originally posted by MisterSr

So I spent about 10 hours downloading Mass Effect off steam, and when i clicked play it said Mass Effect has stopped working and windows won't give me a solution to the problem.  I am almost through with buying games on steam cause the downloads only work like 50% of the time, it's really frustrating. Could someone give me any advice? 

I think your problem is in your net connection. It can be yoir provider or even the wires in your house, I replaced mines recently and I got a boost on speed and quality.

Originally posted by alakram

I think your problem is in your net connection. It can be yoir provider or even the wires in your house, I replaced mines recently and I got a boost on speed and quality.

We have the lowest possibly connection because we have a controlling woman who does not see the need for fast internet, really nothing I can do about that. We boosted it one time and she was throwing chairs literally across the house. Would it be recommended that I reinstall the game?

To the local file scan thing in steam first... and reall post on the steam forums :)

Kick that controlling woman in the arse and tell her fast internet is good...

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,299

Originally posted by alakram

We have the lowest possibly connection because we have a controlling woman who does not see the need for fast internet, really nothing I can do about that. We boosted it one time and she was throwing chairs literally across the house. Would it be recommended that I reinstall the game?

Running the game as administrator can help.

Before deleting the game and downloading it again, make a bakup of it, steam has the option somewhere, after you made the backup, try to download it again, it could help.

Also, as someone pointed already, close steam, run it as administrator, and do the game check as administrator.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Several games on Steam won't work if you try to launch the game from the Steam launcher. You must go into the actual folder where the game is installed and launch it from the .exe file. Make a shortcut on your desktop and it should be fine.