Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can refuse but I can't?

I'm not a complainer but there is a statement I'd like to make on something that I've experienced in a few MMO games.

2 things that are common knowlege is that not everyone likes the same thing and we all have the right to refuse doing what we don't want to do. But there are a lot of players that seem to think differently.

Here's what I mean specifically.

Some like to party, some like to duel and some like both.

I'm 1 of those who likes to party but does not like dueling. Nothing wrong with that but many act like it is.

If someone refuses my party invite, I don't whine over it. I respect the person's wishes and move on. But if I refuse someone's duel challenge, they bust my butt over it. Asking me why like it's uncommon, flinging insults, spam duel requests and basically act like babies over it.

Just so I'm not misunderstood, I'm not disputing others refusing to party. Again, I can respect that. I'm disputing others not willing to show me that same respect when I refuse to duel.

Not only are they immature, they're also hypocrites.

How is refusing to duel any less okay then refusing to party? Last I checked, respect is a 2 way street.

First off, there's plenty of others these people can duel besides me. Second, no one should have to get pushed into doing what they don't want. Same goes for me.

If i can take no for an answer, so can everyone else. Simple as that.

Comments

• SpasticolonSpasticolon Member Posts: 178

Originally posted by starrizer

I'm not a complainer but there is a statement I'd like to make on something that I've experienced in a few MMO games.

2 things that are common knowlege is that not everyone likes the same thing and we all have the right to refuse doing what we don't want to do. But there are a lot of players that seem to think differently.

I'm 1 of those who likes to party but does not like dueling. Nothing wrong with that but many act like it is.

If someone refuses my party invite, I don't whine over it. I respect the person's wishes and move on. But if I refuse someone's duel challenge, they bust my butt over it. Asking me why like it's uncommon, flinging insults and basically act like babies over it.

Just so I'm not misunderstood, I'm not disputing others refusing to party. Again, I can respect that. I'm disputing others not willing to show me that same respect when I refuse to duel.

How is refusing to duel any less okay then refusing to party? Last I checked, respect is a 2 way street.

First off, there's plenty of others these people can duel besides me. Second, no one should have to get pushed into doing what they don't want. Same goes for me.

Simple, there is less ePeen factor involved in a random party vs a Random duel, even if the guy you pick on is in PvE Greens and not specced, you want to be able to demolish them by overgearing them and artificially inflating your self worth. By denying them their dues of being able to Duel whoever they want whenever they want, you belittle thier ability to ePeen and boost their ego, this is an affront!

Not to confuse the Duelers who wish to improve their skill, they usually will try to engage someone of similar skill and gear to truly learn their craft and better their PvP, the ones that get butthurt are the guys looking to destroy someone that has no business duelling them, wants to duel them, or even cares that they exist so that they can feel better about themselves. If you decline a serious dueller, he more than likely wont be phased by it, might ask you why, reply of "I dont PvP much/at all" will be sufficient for him to leave, or perhaps offer to help you into PvP, for he enjoys it, and would like to help others to enjoy it, the butthurt will badger you until you relent, then, because you caused such an affront to his ePeen and Ego, he will happily destroy you then gloat about it.

If the guy is giving you the shits, just accept duel, and stand still, it will be over soon enough and he will have his 'victory!' hollow as it is. While caving in to the 5 year old mentality of some may encourage them, its bloody annoying to have a mosquito buzz at your ear for any length of time.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Politely ask them to shut the fuck up.  If they refuse, report them for abuse.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• starrizerstarrizer Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by Spasticolon

Originally posted by starrizer

If someone refuses my party invite, I don't whine over it. I respect the person's wishes and move on. But if I refuse someone's duel challenge, they bust my butt over it. Asking me why like it's uncommon, flinging insults and basically act like babies over it.

Simple, there is less ePeen factor involved in a random party vs a Random duel, even if the guy you pick on is in PvE Greens and not specced, you want to be able to demolish them by overgearing them and artificially inflating your self worth. By denying them their dues of being able to Duel whoever they want whenever they want, you belittle thier ability to ePeen and boost their ego, this is an affront!

Not to confuse the Duelers who wish to improve their skill, they usually will try to engage someone of similar skill and gear to truly learn their craft and better their PvP, the ones that get butthurt are the guys looking to destroy someone that has no business duelling them, wants to duel them, or even cares that they exist so that they can feel better about themselves. If you decline a serious dueller, he more than likely wont be phased by it, might ask you why, reply of "I dont PvP much/at all" will be sufficient for him to leave, or perhaps offer to help you into PvP, for he enjoys it, and would like to help others to enjoy it, the butthurt will badger you until you relent, then, because you caused such an affront to his ePeen and Ego, he will happily destroy you then gloat about it.

If the guy is giving you the shits, just accept duel, and stand still, it will be over soon enough and he will have his 'victory!' hollow as it is. While caving in to the 5 year old mentality of some may encourage them, its bloody annoying to have a mosquito buzz at your ear for any length of time.

That's an interesting theory. One thing I totally agree with is that these duel beggers as I normally like to call them do have an ego they're trying to boost.

I disagree with your suggestion on accepting their challenge and letting them win. That to me is worse then fighting them.

I always say never reward someone for being a pest because doing so will encourage them to continue being a pest.

I appreciate your input though.

• FibsdkFibsdk Member Posts: 1,112

It's much simpler than that

Anybody who spam invites you to duels are kids. Adults don't do this, period. You are trying to apply some sort of logic to the behavior when the obvious is staring you in the face.

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

Never expect maturity from PvPers/duel-challengers.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• starrizerstarrizer Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by Fibsdk

It's much simpler than that

Anybody who spam invites you to duels are kids. Adults don't do this, period. You are trying to apply some sort of logic to the behavior when the obvious is staring you in the face.

I figured that. Of course it's mostly kids who do that but you would be incurrect when you say adults don't do that period. I think it's safe to assume that young adults roughly between 18 & 24 are also likely to spam duels or whine about others refusing. Plus I've encounted some pretty immature adults throughout my life. Both on the net and true life.

As for trying to appy logic, you're incurrect on that also because you can't apply logic on kids. I'm sure you'll agree with me on that.

Honestly, this is something that's been crossing my mind more then once and I felt the desire to get it off my chest eventhough it won't change anything.

And since that in itself is not a logical thing to do, I can't be applying logic. :-p