Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA abandoning offline game development

http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/12/08/ea-abandoning-offline-game-development/

I believe this is the second biggest disaster for online gaming since tbc. This will cause another major step back for MMO genre. From now on not only games will hold our hands and take us to end game content without no challenge on our way but also there will be more and more games which has no soul in it.

Edit: any--->no

Comments

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Looking at this more, this decision was to just stop making pure solo based games (meaning no online at all) most games now a days have some kind of multiplayer in them.

It's an odd move to be sure but i think your overdramtizing it just a bit.  Just my opinion though.

Edit: actually upon reading the entire article, all they are saying is, we are nudging the new games to have an online feature.  Instead of will this game have online possibilities, it will be what online things does it have.

Where EA takes this. I don't know.  But i think it's too soon be blowing the horn and calling doom to the genre.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by whilan

Looking at this more, this decision was to just stop making pure solo based games (meaning no online at all) most games now a days have some kind of multiplayer in them.

It's an odd move to be sure but i think your overdramtizing it just a bit.  Just my opinion though.

Doesn't really seem odd at all. It allows them to immediately apply fixes/updates, offer extra DLC, and provide the ability to re-download your software without having to hunt down CDs and patch up to current. It means that the extra cost and time involved in the retail process is almost completely eliminated, reducing the cost of releasing a game and increasing its accessibility. 

Steam has proven that this is a profitable and extremely popular direction to go. What's odd is that people see this as some kind of sinister, evil or even new thing. Direct2Drive, GOG.com and Steam have been doing this successfully for years now.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• VantrasVantras Member Posts: 124

What an odd reaction from many people to that announcement.  It it no way says 1.) they arent going to make robust offline games 2.) all games from here forward are going to be mmo-like or 3.) they intend to monetize the entire experience.

All they are saying is from here forward ALL of their games will have robust online components.  Which essentially most games released in the last few years more or less do.

Anyone making games for the PC that isnt fully embracing the online experience is oddly delusional.  EA just stated the obvious and turned it into a press release to generate some press and buzz.

This would be like a network saying "from here forward ALL of our content will be developed to take advantage of High Definition".   No shit?  You mean-you recognize that the entire sector is moving in this direction and that it'd be insane to ignore it and make content that isnt optimized for the user experience that most end users prefer or at least are interested in?

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

Yeah EA has been focusing on the online based CO-OP games for a while now, games like ME and DA are odd balls in their stables, being pure solo games. Most of EA's recent titles have had co-op, or multiplayer of some type in it. If that meant that DA 3 will have co-op I'd be happy, Though it most likely wont, nor will mass effect 3.

• sfly2000sfly2000 Member Posts: 168

Originally posted by Ragnaven

If that meant that DA 3 will have co-op I'd be happy, Though it most likely wont, nor will mass effect 3.

I guess you mean DA 2? But yeah...EA has been releasing only mainstream solo games for kids on console so far...I don't see a change in that. That they will add something advanced and something that actually requires some thought effort from the player is probably out of the question.

Because they finally realised that multiplayer could be an important part I have to give them some applause *clappy clappy clappy*

Originally posted by Ragnaven

Yeah EA has been focusing on the online based CO-OP games for a while now, games like ME and DA are odd balls in their stables,

No I don't think they are odd balls at all. Look at all the mainstream sports games and all that similar crap.

• bluedragonnnbluedragonnn Member Posts: 118

Awesome, Now we just need to get them to abandon all game development period, then maybe we might see a decent MMO that doesn't get ruined by them. *cough* warhammer *cough*

Originally posted by Turdinator:
    Wow. So many great points made in that post. You are a fine addition to the Athiest movement my good man. Keep up the good work and post as often as you like. It sounds like you have important/intelligent things to say.

I don't know why I am posting here at all...as I feel EA is a way too mainstream company to ever release a game that I would actually be interested in.

It is sad to see Bioware working for them but I guess it was inevitable because they became a much bigger company and all big companies have to make mainstream games (games aiming for the biggest possible market).

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

That's really weird cause EA is known to be one of the worst mmo developpers.  No others companies has ever abandonned or cancelled so many  MMO's.

• VantrasVantras Member Posts: 124

Anyone that expects a company like EA to make an "indie" or "boutique" or "niche" game isnt being realistic.  I dont go to see a Michael Mann film expecting Pulp Fiction or Usual Suspects.  I  know its going to be bubble gum/mainstream action crap and I am alright with that-as its what I expect when I buy the ticket.

I dont walk into Avatar and Titanic and expect a cerebral, interesting, gritty, offbeat experience.

I too mourn for the loss of Bioware-but I have long since given up ranting about companies like EA attempting to make the next WoW (the Titantic or Avatar of the MMO industry).  When i buy an EA game i know what to expect-its my choice when my mouse is hovering over the "purchase" button as to whether its Titanic or Pulp Fiction i am seeking.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

All this means is they will make their single player games on-line in some way, probably DLC.  I would bet this has nothing to do with MMOs and everything to do with finding a way to squeze a few more dollars out of people.  This is probably just release the game with content that can be purchased at time of release. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Originally posted by Vantras

Anyone that expects a company like EA to make an "indie" or "boutique" or "niche" game isnt being realistic.

I'm not talking about making "indie" or "niche" games here. I just want a game that is not totally soaked with being applied to the mainstream audience.

Originally posted by MMOman101

All this means is they will make their single player games on-line in some way, probably DLC. 

Yeah, that is what I meant to say. There is no way they are abandoning mainstream solo games and consoles. Actually they have been going more and more that way.

Actually Blizzard was really ground breaking with their MMO and caught most of their competition with their pants down...which they still have down. Most companies are still stuck in the "we must sell copies"-threadmill.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

So they will stop publishing games that are purely single player? Well that's nice, I never play those things anyway heh.

Dunno, like many, I find playing against AI to be dull and unsatisfying. Pushing for more games with online multiplayer capabilities sounds like a good plan to me.

Originally posted by randomt

So they will stop publishing games that are purely single player? Well that's nice, I never play those things anyway heh.

Dunno, like many, I find playing against AI to be dull and unsatisfying. Pushing for more games with online multiplayer capabilities sounds like a good plan to me.

Yeah, well....I mostly do PvE (player vs environment) which actually means I am mostly playing against computer opponents anyway. Only I am doing it in a party with others. At least that is the way I play Neverwinter Nights.

When I play Battlefield 2 it is a different story :-P Then the enemies are humans :-)

• The_GrumpThe_Grump Member Posts: 331

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by whilan

Doesn't really seem odd at all. It allows them to immediately apply fixes/updates, offer extra DLC, and provide the ability to re-download your software without having to hunt down CDs and patch up to current. It means that the extra cost and time involved in the retail process is almost completely eliminated, reducing the cost of releasing a game and increasing its accessibility. 

Steam has proven that this is a profitable and extremely popular direction to go. What's odd is that people see this as some kind of sinister, evil or even new thing. Direct2Drive, GOG.com and Steam have been doing this successfully for years now.

(1) Let's be honest and cut the bullshit in the beginning. The availability and low cost of high speed internet connexions has enable companies to release games in far buggier states than in years before. The bugginess isn't due to anything other one or a combination of publishers rushing developers, developers just developing titles poorly, and customers thinking that fast patches and DLC are great. Fast patching and DLC are great but, again, let's be honest and admit that too much of the DLC out fhere for games (not games like Guitar Hero) are things that either should have been in the game in the first place or are things that have taken up the time of developers that would have been better spent fixing problems. I'm looking at you, PC version of the Dragon Age series!

(2) Valve is an incredibly unscrupulous company and I have not seen a company function quite like Valve other than Blizzard. That's saying something. The conccept behind Steam is great, no two ways about it, but it is the implementation and support of Steam that is the problem. One glaring issue is that you have to have 3 accounts to fully use Steam: a Support, Forum and Steam (linked to your games) account. All of these operate separately. Steam Support is also the worst I have encountered, where representatives will actually delete tickets instead of answering them and direct you to the forums for support from the fans. Granted, BioWare does the same thing in that last bit but the issue still stands. There are a litany of technical problems with the Steam client too, but for those that already know there is no poitn in listing them while the rabid fans and people who don't know won't be able to have enough examples.

(3) There isn't a good reason to cut out the middle man that is the retail establishment and the physical boxed product. It costs the companies less to make the games because they won't be supporting physical retail, but there is no good reason for us to believe that we will see that money put back into game development. Moreover, digital things aren't tactile and if you lose your account information or it gets compromised somehow you are going to be unable to play the games you've purchased. Having a physical copy solves that problem because you have the necessary information at your fingertips.

(1)TL:DR must be your way of saying that thinking hurts. Then again, this may explain why it looks like you responded to the post without using your brain.
    (2) It's not about community, is it? You just have nothing better to do.

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

This move is just one more way to fight piracy. My guess is this is to justify more extreme DRM methods in the future. If there is multiplayer, you cannot be that mad if you have to be connected to the Internet to play, right? Right?

I do not like them, obviously.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 309

This is all about money first.  Any kind of drm is second.

We're going to see more and more unfinished content devoid games that you buy everything later thanks to all you idiots that pay for DLC.  Good job!

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

This is a smart move.  Games are starting to rival movie special effects and that doesn't come cheap.  Whether its by subs or by the "pay for x y and z features" system of the FTP MMOs, publishers need to see a return on their development investment over time instead relying 100% on box sales out of the gate.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Originally posted by comcicomca

http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/12/08/ea-abandoning-offline-game-development/

I believe this is the second biggest disaster for online gaming since tbc. This will cause another major step back for MMO genre. From now on not only games will hold our hands and take us to end game content without no challenge on our way but also there will be more and more games which has no soul in it.

Edit: any--->no

I read the article and I think you are assuming a lot from very little.  I think EA is saying that multiplayer is more popular then single player and they are correct.

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825

Electronic Arts is a company I hold with great contempt in the world of gaming.

They do not have a single title under their name in the last fifiteen years in which their own studios have completely created from scratch. What EA-Games does is actually buy out programming teams and smaller companies, who are working on their projects and tend to release their games under their own EA Games label. When the project is done and they have profited from them either they let the team go, completely taking the credit away from them....Or they have the team work on sequals.

Example was Westwood studios who made the Command and Conquer games. A point came when their office got closed and EA gave the command and conquer role creation to another team. It showed why the games were really so different. Eventually Petroglyph was made and they made the star wars RTS (Empire at War) which remains one of my favorites.

If you look at past games, even "The Battle for Middle Earth I and II" those were other studios that were bought out and funded.

Don't worry, its just like Square-Enix is doing.....They bought out a lot of Eidos studios to make a merger of sorts and now every single game you buy from Eidos puts a Square-Enix Logo even though they had nothing to do with them. The same is true for DeusEx: Human Revolution. Square-Enix had 0 to do with the Cinematics to that game, but since they now own the studios itself, they simply are strapping a Square-Enix logo on everything. Oh yeah, if you buy an Eidos Game for Japanese PC, the Eidos Logo is gone and they are included in the end credits, and now you see a Square-Enix Logo.

EA games is doing the very same thing....publishing games, but telling everyone they actually were responsible for their creation.

Sorry for the anger, but this has been a hotly debated topic for the last twelve years. I know the debate wont end tomorrow, but it begs to be said.

As far as Online Gaming Components...EA has a lot of catchup work to do. of course, knowing them...They will simply buy out another project and strap their brand name upon it. ^^

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Unless shit really falls down in 2012, I dont see myself EVER living without the internet.. It has become as necessary as electricity and water (may seem sad to some, but it's one of my windows to the world and i'm sure i'm not the only one.. I prefer my newspapers electronic..), so them making a move like this is understandable..

As long as they are pulling for a more "online-esque" game lineup, PC gaming has a chance to grow. Consoles have long been the champions of the single player game, many of them didnt even consider adding online play but as we've seen those that did it and did it well were huge successess. With online play being standard, we may see more cross-platforming (done RIGHT) between PC's and consoles.

They are simply saying that all of their titles will have online capabilities, which makes sense and most all other companies are understanding the same thing. Even Assassins Creed added a multiplayer online option to its game. Metal gear solid is another one that jumped on the wagon. Lets not forget about Grand Theft Auto IV having online capabilities as well. You will see that true single player games (with the exception of the old school RPG series) are a dying breed.

Now days, thats one of the main things people take into consideration when buying most FPS games and RTS games.