Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting bored with cox again and really need something new and was wondering about pve.

AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

I am not all that much into pvp, however I do enjoy it, there may be a week where I focus on pve, but if the pve is boring I just end up focusing on pvp so much I get really bored like I did in wow, as we all know pve in the game is pretty stale. Anyways I am an eq1 vet, eq2 on and off and had it with soe, and I have tried countless mmos, except most of the korean mmos not my style. I tried fallen earth didnt like the setting, well its more of the fact I dont like using guns that are not futuristic. I like flashy weapons and so on.

In mmorpgs I am use to playing ranged characters, like archery, magic or a hybrid, I know this game is of course very differant but my main concern is how is the pve in this game? Is it interesting? Is there story how many of you play this game for mostly the pve or alteast started that way?

Thanks all.

Comments

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

This really isn't a game for fun pve. Empire PVE consists mostly of boring repetitive missions. Low and null sec pve consists of killing rats in belts. Wormhole pve can be interesting at first (because the npc's that live in wh's are harder than empire npc's) but becomes boring after a while. Pretty soon there will be a new type of pve called Sansha incursions. It may be somewhat fun, but I can assure you regardless of how fun the incursions are, Eve will remain a game with mostly boring pve. Look elsewhere. Anyone who tells you otherwise is putting spin on the reality. 

PS I've played eve religiously and have multiple accounts right now. I'm still very happy with the game. Just being honest with you about the pve. 

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Well, the PvE is not Eve's strong suit..

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

OP long time players here in EvE get abit nervous when folks start talking pve, and may come back at you with some not so nice comments. So be prepared for " High seas and Heavy winds " comments.

" Charlie Mike "

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

PvE might not be Eve's strong suit but exploration here has not been done like this anywhere else. If you're looking for PvE content in Eve, learn about exploration and have fun.

This is not a game.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

PVE comes in different flavors in eve.

The standard that most people think of when they talk about pve is missions, specifically level 4's. They are pretty much the cash cow of eve. You get a fit that can tank them easily, and you run them till you get the funding you need for whatever you really want to do then take a break from them till you need another cash influx.

However, that isnt the only pve offered in eve.

ATM the hardest pve in eve is sleepers in w-space. A class 3 wormhole will more or less give you the same difficulty as a level 4 mission, however the class 4-6 are much more difficult.  The fits and the teamwork needed could be on par with 5 man heroics in wow. Its not going to blow your mind, but there can be a lot of theory crafting, debate, and deaths involved. A class six wormhole with a small group will definitely be a major challenge.

Coming january sansha invasions will be implemented, and some of the large invasions are designed for 20 - 40 people or more, think raids from other games. These monsters will have the same improved AI as sleepers and they act more or less like pvp pilots would. Targeting healers and crowd controlers first and rating squishies and high dps toons as well.

PVE is definitely different than other games but there can be a challenge for those that want one.

• AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

Awesome trailer, but I was confused as to what it meant. I just ignore people who want to yell at me.

• CactusJackCactusJack Member UncommonPosts: 393

I found the CoX PvE was nice to watch but terribly repetitive. I solo'd two guys to 55 or whatever and i did it all with PUGs. I left shortly after that.  I agree with most of the comments above. PvE and PvP for that matter are based essentially on 4 damage types and what type of tanking you want to do. Your choice of what race's ship to fly will influence this.

I would recommend doing the trial first. If you have never played a sci-fi game, like Elite or Homeworld or something like that, you might instantly dislike EvE. If you do like the genre, then you will probably come to the realization that the PvE is basically a means to and end. If you build ships you need mats. If you build modules you need different mats. If you make rigs, you need different mats.

All of these are tied to PvE. PvP will/should always be on your mind however. If you undock, be prepared to fight another human, no matter what. If you are in something that doesn't have guns fitted, then find some friends that are in ships that do have guns fitted.

Learn to use your map and scanner. Learn to adjust your overview. All of these things will make your PvE experience better and who knows...it might make you more aware of people that aren't interested in destroying red boxes, but you.

Playing: BF4/BF:Hardline, Subnautica 7 days to die
    Hiatus: EvE
    Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
    Interested in: better games in general

• AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

I do not mind sci fi at all, space  is fine been trying star trek online but dont think that will last, I guess my only choice is still wow sadly sigh.

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

You will find better PVE in a F2P grind fest, the quality of the PVE is about equal but it will be immediately free at the point of use. It is possible to play EVE for free which ultimately entails making game cash and then trading that for game time but really what is the point of that? Most missions are either fedex or "kill evil bad guys then come back to me" high end (lol) PVE consists of just finding a "dungeon" which is just a spot in space with some furniture and killing some NPCs and collect some things that might be of value, the really high end (rofl) PVE consists of several people living in a inconvenient place endlessly using the holy trinity of tank, DPS and healer and killing the same NPCs over and over. This might sound like any other game but it doesn't even have the same kind of story or thrilling combat as you are essentially shooting at floating red coloured crosses, you don't even really see the NPC ships.

However if you like the idea of a game where you can achieve things and I don't just mean shiny loot or other crap I mean achieve personal goals in the face of hardship whilst doing some PVE it can be much better than anything most MMOs can offer.

But if you don't like a bit of excitement and risk and would stay in high sec space where its safer grinding away at missions you are definitely better off finding a F2P grinder.

I apologise if this comes across as harsh I am just trying to make the facts as clear as possible to save you some time and RL money.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• KomandorKomandor Member Posts: 272

Originally posted by Angelbound

I do not mind sci fi at all, space  is fine been trying star trek online but dont think that will last, I guess my only choice is still wow sadly sigh.

Have you tried the new game  Perpetuum Online? Basically eve with robots on earth.

Keep on rockin'!image