Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DCUO or Rift....which one will you choose?

XenOshadeXenOshade Member UncommonPosts: 95

DCUO and Rift are very different games that will appeal to very different groups of people. My question is which one are you looking for and why? Why is one better than the other? what are the + and - of the game you want to play?

Comments

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

is their a third option? Nah seriously I will wait till rift is closer to launch before I make calls on what my mmo for 2011 will be.

• segynsegyn Member Posts: 234

i already pre ordered dcuo and will be playing that till the old republic comes out.

• svbrucey23svbrucey23 Member Posts: 32

Definitely DCUO, it actually puts you in the combat, not just watching like you do in Rift. I love that "Think on your feet, fight or flight" mode you are in when playing DCUO. Great community there too.

• SolestranSolestran Member Posts: 342

Neither are games that I'm really looking forward to, but of the two, I would choose Rift.  I do not like the consolish gameplay of DCUO (I'm in the beta).  While it might be fun as a single player game that I could play in 15 to 30 minutes sessions, I seriously could not see myself paying a monthly subscription for it.  I'm also in the beta for Rift, but can't discuss it.

I'm much more looking forward to Star Wars The Old Republic and Guild Wars 2, both of which I can't get into their betas  : (

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Wasnt able to get into the DCUO beta(yet),I like to try mmos before I buy em.Both games look promising though from what ive seen..

Knowing me,I'll prolly play one till I get bored with it then move to the other.

so both!

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Rift, but I'm keeping an eye on DC.

Not sure if the console controler "optimized" play style of DCUO will push me away from playing. Most likley I'll wait for a trial period to be offered.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Of the two I'm more likely to play Rift.  Then again if GW2 suprises everyone with a quick release, that's first choice.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

DCUO for now. Its a casual fun game nothing more. I will drop it the day Rift is out. my whole guild is moving to Rift from Lotro, so i am really looking forward to it.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

Neither, both have issues.  If I HAD to choose it would be DCU but at this time neither IMO is interesting enough for me as a long term MMO replacement

• XenOshadeXenOshade Member UncommonPosts: 95

Well I didn't bring up GW2 because if they can live up to there hype I will be playing that as well. I have played the DCUO beta and the rift beta, but am not actually allowed to discuss particulars through the disclosure agreement. I was actually looking for the opinion on the difference not protected by the disclosure agreements. An example is: "I like the random and dynamic content of the rifts versus that cartooning feel of DCUO" (this is purely an example and does not reflect mine or anyone elses opinion).

• twitch242twitch242 Member UncommonPosts: 177

Stupid question, you allready said yourself that its two diffent group of people these games appeals too. So what do you want people to say ? Its not the same target group these games have... Geez how utterly useless this is.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Originally posted by twitch242

Stupid question, you allready said yourself that its two diffent group of people these games appeals too. So what do you want people to say ? Its not the same target group these games have... Geez how utterly useless this is.

To some both are appealing...

so calm down and relax.

Originally posted by twitch242

My purpose here is to spark conversation and see why people from each group likes there particular game. The fact is I am rather tied on this subject. I mentioned in an earlier post that I am in both betas and I would like to see others point of views encase someone has something to contribute that I had not taken into account. This thread is no more useless than any other forum thread. I appreciate if we contribute to the topic and avoid trolling, thank you.  

• SillyideaSillyidea Member Posts: 12

Sadly I was looking foward to dcuo but the beta was well underwhelming... Repeative combat and pvp that relies on blured movements..sorry but gotta hope that rift is good sadly I already prepurchased it on steam.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I don't no much about both games to tell you the truth.  But I'm sure I will get flooded with info after they launch, and then I will have a better understanding of both.  

~reminds me of pre- sto~

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

I have been Beta testing DC for a few months now and its a fun game to play. The game has super fast game play, which makes it harder to go back to slower mmos.

I have been in both betas for RIFT and it is a fun game too.

RIFT is not a WoW clone. In the beta chat most people and me say the game is more like Vanguard and Warhammer online. I like both of those games so I Like RIFT.

[object Window]

So i will be buying both games.

But DCUO is more of what I want in my new MMo[object Window]s [object Window]More action[object Window]

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Based on experience, if I had to choose one, I would pick Rift. DCUO's gameplay is just waaaaay too clicky. Not a terrible game mind you, it's just clicky enough to be a game breaker for me.

Joined - July 2004

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I was looking forward to both.  Big time.  But after having played the Beta for both.  I've taken them off of my list of must haves.  I MAY take a gander at them a year or 2 down the road, but right now, I don't have any more room for shallow MMORPGs.  

• fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409

ima buy rifts .

Originally posted by elocke

I was looking forward to both.  Big time.  But after having played the Beta for both.  I've taken them off of my list of must haves.  I MAY take a gander at them a year or 2 down the road, but right now, I don't have any more room for shallow MMORPGs.  

What traits make each of these games shallow? Not questioning your judgement, but I am curious if there is more behind this?

Originally posted by fatboy21007

ima buy rifts .

What is the big selling point for you? What is it about rifts that makes it a must buy?

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

DCUO.

Originally posted by aleos

DCUO.

What is the big selling point for you? What is it about DCUO that makes it a must buy?

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by XenOshade

What traits make each of these games shallow? Not questioning your judgement, but I am curious if there is more behind this?

I have to answer this carefully.  With DCUO it's simple. It felt very linear and small.  No epic atmosphere or depth to the world and gameplay.  Just fast action questing.  But that's about it.  Rift is similar to that as well.  Well polished but completely missing the meaning of a true MMORPG.   For comparison of games with depth and atmosphere I give you FFXI and Vanguard.  Both games have their control and population issues but they are extremely addictive in making me feel a part of another world.  Rift and DCUO feel like casual games to me and not epic enough.  Can't really give more detail since everything I would say hasnt' been shown in any public videos yet(in the case of Rift at least).

Originally posted by XenOshade

I have to answer this carefully.  With DCUO it's simple. It felt very linear and small.  No epic atmosphere or depth to the world and gameplay.  Just fast action questing.  But that's about it.  Rift is similar to that as well.  Well polished but completely missing the meaning of a true MMORPG.   For comparison of games with depth and atmosphere I give you FFXI and Vanguard.  Both games have their control and population issues but they are extremely addictive in making me feel a part of another world.  Rift and DCUO feel like casual games to me and not epic enough.  Can't really give more detail since everything I would say hasnt' been shown in any public videos yet(in the case of Rift at least).

This is exactly what I am looking for!! Giving your opinion without breaking the agreement (but if you are unsatisfied with the agreement and not playing then there isnt much they can do to you about breaking the agreement) Like the fact that you told me why you like/dont like these games and what the overall feel of the games were for you.