Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stargate Universe Cancelled; Joins Caprica on "Dead Shows" list!

So SyFy (lol at the stupid spelling) has announced that they are cancelling Stargate Universe and will not be renewing for a final third season. 

Good riddance, I say. Science fiction in America has taken a turn for the worst of late. TV studios are attempting too much, with a market share that general views sci-fi with cynicism. What made sci-fi work in the 90s and early 2000s has been abandoned in order to facilitate high cost, hard hitting "dramatic" pieces that reciprocate the same qualities you'd associate with movies like Star Wars and Star Trek. And I'm a big fan of both of those franchises, but there is a reason why sci-fi has never been like this on television, outside of those once in a decade hits like Battlestar Galactica.

And Universe was crap.

http://www.themmoquest.com - MMO commentary from an overly angry brit. OFFICIALLY LAUNCHED!

Comments

• HekketHekket Member Posts: 905

SyFy channel sucks anyway. The programming blows just like G4TV's does.

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

When they changed the name to SyFy and added shit like "wrestling", I knew no good sci-fi shows would exist anymore - at least on that channel. They are too damned dramatized.

And for fuck's sake, why is it that at the end of every episode they have a musical number with the camera panning to every member of the team with them alone with their "thoughts".

It had potential, but it failed.

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930

Originally posted by Infalible

And Universe was crap.

That's your opinion... which I disagree with 100%.  So far this season has been, IMO, better than the first season.  I have grown to like SGU and was actually my favorite show on Syfy.  Heck, it was the only one I watched after they decided to cancel Caprica.

Despite my anger, this is not a shock to me.  Syfy channel has become a rampant cesspool of moronicity.  At lease this means that once they conclude this season of SGU with the last 10 episodes, I can finally and permanently turn off Syfy.

Originally posted by Dekron

When they changed the name to SyFy and added shit like "wrestling", I knew no good sci-fi shows would exist anymore - at least on that channel. They are too damned dramatized.

And for fuck's sake, why is it that at the end of every episode they have a musical number with the camera panning to every member of the team with them alone with their "thoughts".

I agree that SGU could've cut down on some of the drama.  However, the internal strife between the people on the ship was a driving force of the show.  It was logical and fit with the environment that the show entailed.  People, stuck on a ship that they could not fully control (well... until recently) would engage in Human nature... which leads to strife between each other.

As to the highlighted portion, that is your opinion.  I disagree with it 100%.  Syfy channel relying on the antiquated Nielson rating system is what failed the show.

• LeagolxLeagolx Member Posts: 222

To be honest I think were in desperate need of a unique idea because look at all the mmos that are failing and look at all shows that are getting cancelled i think that creativity is really low right now and we really need a good story to get us out of this.

If your going to ban the trolls please for our sake ban the Fan Boys too.

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

Caprica being canceled is news to me. I don't watch tv much anymore.   Though I figured it would happen.  Truthfully I am kind of glad it did.  Serves those tards right for dragging its viewers through several seasons of major plot lines on BSG only to have them dropped.  I mean they even made the super villan a pussy in the end.  

After that long ass speech about how he hated man-kind so much that he hated himself for being in a organic body.   The one chance at the end he has to try and take revenge, he puts the gun in his mouth and pulls the trigger.  WTF?!? Your enemies are pretty much defenceless and you think they just double crossed you on a deal that was made.  So you blow your brains out instead of trying to take them with you? Glad it happened.  Though they will probably be writing some new shitty series soon. 

As far as SGU...  I kind of liked the first season. However I lost interrest in it after that.

• FibsdkFibsdk Member Posts: 1,112

Originally posted by Vato26

And Universe was crap.

That's your opinion... which I disagree with 100%.  So far this season has been, IMO, better than the first season.  I have grown to like SGU and was actually my favorite show on Syfy.  Heck, it was the only one I watched after they decided to cancel Caprica.

Despite my anger, this is not a shock to me.  Syfy channel has become a rampant cesspool of moronicity.  At lease this means that once they conclude this season of SGU with the last 10 episodes, I can finally and permanently turn off Syfy.

Shows with high ratings usually don't get the axe. It's a little bit more than "his" opinion.

There is a reason it was cancelled and it wasn't because the show was friggin awesome!!

Originally posted by Fibsdk

And Universe was crap.

Shows with high ratings usually don't get the axe. It's a little bit more than "his" opinion.

There is a reason it was cancelled and it wasn't because the show was friggin awesome!!

The reason it got axed was because they are relying on the antiquated Nielson rating system.

EDIT:  Also, another reason it got axed was because of the time slot that the morons at syfy moved it to.  Originally it was on a Friday... that was prime time for TV watching.  However, after they bought out the rights to Smackdown (yay fake wrestling that has absolutely NO bearing on science fiction) they moved it to.... Tuesday.  Which, Tuesday is not a prime time for watching TV.  Not to mention they were up against NCIS: LA.  Yup... that's an antiquated Nielson ratings failure waiting to happen.

• Scubie67Scubie67 Member UncommonPosts: 462

The last part of SGU season I thought was very good from how it began IMO.They did a mix of drama and action instead of just whole episodes of drama which I just think is a joke to most science fiction fans.I dont mind a touch of drama for a change but definitely mostly action.

I guess they are making room for more stupid wrestling,this coming from a guy that used to watch wresting growing up as a child.The channel is really nosediving for awhile now.Their made for Sy Fy channel movies are terrible cheply made,poorly acted and I think are just thrown together in a long 3 day weekend if that

(and can someone please tell me why CGI effects in these movies look worse than CGI in movies from 15 or 20 years ago when computer power processing has increased a 100 fold since then or more, with more advanced CGI teck always coming out?) .I realize its probably money most likely.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by Hekket

SyFy channel sucks anyway. The programming blows just like G4TV's does.

i hear you. SyFy has the worse movies ever made by humankind. I only log onto syfy now to watch Ghosthunters (Grant is friggin hot) and Destination Truth (Josh is friggin hot).

So um i guess i wouldnt watch those either if they weren't in em

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

The biggest reason why I do not watch SyFy network is..  TOO MANY SERIAL DRAMA shows..  I really do not enjoy a TV show that really pushes into watching it in sequence.. Each show is not a "stand alone" show like old TV programs.. I could watch reruns of Star Trek,  STNG, Deep Space 9, original Battlestar, etc etc anytime without feeling lost..  I know there are some that really love serial drams (which is basically a soap opera) but if you miss an episode or two, you are lost and have to play catch up.. This format has poor replayabilty in my opinion.. For me it was a show breaker and the reason why I stopped watching Battlestar and Caprica.. 

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Originally posted by Dekron

I agree that SGU could've cut down on some of the drama.  However, the internal strife between the people on the ship was a driving force of the show.  It was logical and fit with the environment that the show entailed.  People, stuck on a ship that they could not fully control (well... until recently) would engage in Human nature... which leads to strife between each other.

As to the highlighted portion, that is your opinion.  I disagree with it 100%.  Syfy channel relying on the antiquated Nielson rating system is what failed the show.

No, I loved the show. I'm saying it failed (on SyFy) because it no longer is a show geared towards the primary audience. They had to diviserfy Sci-Fi and most of the shows are not science fiction (wrestling WTF?).

The Neilsen rating system was antiquated, but no longer. The new boxes take into account DVRs, etc. I'm just curious if views such as on Hulu are taken into account. I haven't had cable for about 8 months now so I just catch up on episodes when they are on Hulu.

• CrocolixCrocolix Member Posts: 221
    caprica is dead too
    brainless crap make more quotes
    well we have the same problem with books too
    edit:canceled si fi ... i can see soap operas on any chanel
  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Figured it would happen eventually..