Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online Patch Notes for 15 December

RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

The patch notes can be seen here:

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/56707-patch-notes-version-1-33-03-13-a.html#post1072234

They intend to go live with this patch tomorrow.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Are all MO patches a weird mix of advanced sandbox-y features being added combined with basic MMORPG features being implemented?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

Originally posted by Rohn

The patch notes can be seen here:

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/56707-patch-notes-version-1-33-03-13-a.html#post1072234

They intend to go live with this patch tomorrow.

Interesting choice getting rid of starter skills...   might be a bit confusing for new players, but I guess it is a bit more in keeping with the sandbox style they're going for.  Definitely like that they're finally finalizing the "use a skill to learn it" system though.  

Liking the board games too, now that I think about it.  

edit:  Whoa, I fail at basic forum quotes.

@LizardBones:   hahah, definitely not uncommon.

• DerpidumDerpidum Member Posts: 89

Possible bugs aside, I would love to be newbie again and play from scratch form this patch on. By the notes it looks like a beast.

• davidemo89davidemo89 Member UncommonPosts: 59

omg best patch note ever!

• DiekfooDiekfoo Member Posts: 583

Yeah, really nice patch notes. I can't wait trying this out!

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

"- Added support for NPCs that teach you skills (tutors).

- Tutor that teaches skills and tells you how to play the game has been added in all starting locations. Morin Khur have all available tutors."

I just love seeing over and over when SV realise their 'hardcore' sandbox design doesnt hold in longer terms. Hi, WoW trainers.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Are all MO patches a weird mix of advanced sandbox-y features being added combined with basic MMORPG features being implemented?

Pretty much, what you see is them finally learning the basics of game design.

Originally posted by Toferio

- Tutor that teaches skills and tells you how to play the game has been added in all starting locations. Morin Khur have all available tutors."

I just love seeing over and over when SV realise their 'hardcore' sandbox design doesnt hold in longer terms. Hi, WoW trainers.

WoW trainers?

I'm sure this will be nothing to do with WoW.

Originally posted by davidemo89

WoW trainers?

I meant the "talk to an npc to learn a skilL" thing. Aint really sandbox style imho. They already introduced quests, and the only different is that there is no quest log and they are more boring.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984

WoW trainers?

I meant the "talk to an npc to learn a skilL" thing. Aint really sandbox style imho. They already introduced quests,

True... BUT it is better than the whole read a book to learn how to Breathe and/or Jump idea...  anything that get's rid of THAT system is a damn good improvement!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

WoW trainers?

I meant the "talk to an npc to learn a skilL" thing. Aint really sandbox style imho. They already introduced quests,

True... BUT it is better than the whole read a book to learn how to Breathe and/or Jump idea...  anything that get's rid of THAT system is a damn good improvement!

Those skills alone are stupid. "Read a book to learn how to sleep".. so much for realism. But I dont think trainers are a step in right direction, even if dumping those skills is.

And I love seeing over and over people making drama over things that were planned from the very first glimpse at MO, yet they rage or laugh or both because THEY HAD ABSOLUTELY NO EFFIN CLUE ABOUT WHAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE IN GAME BUT YET THEY CHOOSE TO COMMENT AND MAKE THEM LOOK SILLY AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!

Ok, had to let some steam go out. 

Also, what do you think sandbox is compared to themepark? Seems like both of you can't tell the difference because following your logic, Darkfall is a themepark just like WoW(quests, trainers, have to go and grind/quest in places in order and what not).

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

WoW trainers?

I meant the "talk to an npc to learn a skilL" thing. Aint really sandbox style imho. They already introduced quests, and the only different is that there is no quest log and they are more boring.

How are skill trainers not sandbox style?   that's like saying pressing "I" to view your inventory isn't sandboxy.   

Though I didn't realize you resubbed long enough to try out the quests... I haven't tried them myself.

WoW trainers?

Have you considered that it might be "Talk to tutor who tells you what to do to get certain skill" instead of "buy X skill"? Sure, some probably would have to be bought, but remember that to learn almost all skills right now you can actually try to do them.

Chop wood to start learning about wood lore, get in water and try to swim to start learning it ect ect, without books.

WoW trainers?

What quests? One NPC tells you that he might buy shrooms from you, but others will as well and you might carry an item to other NPC for 500g, some book or just sell it to normal vendor. Quests=you are given a task and you HAVE to do it and only in one, predesigned way-not the cast in MO really. Again, what is a sandbox according to you? You want sandbox and themepark have no features in common? Then you will not be able to make a game. The thing that differs themepark from sandbox is the choice. In themepark you HAVE to follow the one and only road while in sandbox YOU choose the road you follow and features you use instead of being forced to participate in X Y or Z or you will never reach max level or get best gear.

WoW trainers?

No, it will be not "Talk to an npc to learn a skill". The npc will say you maybe how to learn the skill, some help.

They don't intrdocued quests, they introduces Lore in the game, where some NPC talk to you and you can listen to him or not. If you make what he ask you will not recive a "price", more exp or something else. It's only lore related.

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

This patch is starting to look like the Jesus patch we've all been waiting for.

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

Originally posted by username509

That will be one buggy jesus..

The npc will say you maybe how to learn the skill, some help.

That would be cool, I guess.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Originally posted by username509

So did the last 3 big ones though.

It might sound sad but the thing I am looking the most forward to is the guard zones telling you when you leave them :)  Also the learning skills by doing them of course.

I think they caved on the rags on character creation but I will welcome it.  Still have to buy a book to learn how to jump?

Butchering is a welcome addition.

Still not sure this is enough to keep people playing that are tired of the game.  For new people it might keep them around longer.  Lets see how it plays out first as far as working as intended etc.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• merieke82merieke82 Member Posts: 165

3-4 more patches of this length and a new server/server wipe and I would come back.

I enjoyed my time previously, but couldn't get past the severe exploiting that sky rocketed some players into massive wealth and/or skill gain.

Originally posted by merieke82

3-4 more patches of this length and a new server/server wipe and I would come back.

I enjoyed my time previously, but couldn't get past the severe exploiting that sky rocketed some players into massive wealth and/or skill gain.

With this condition we can already say good bye I guess.

-No mmo ever did nor will do a server wipe post release until you hit the server with EMP bomb.

-We will not have new server, population will not allow for it.

And if that makes you happy, every hard core exploiters I known were perma banned or left the game months ago.

This isn't Darkfall.  You max all your skills and stats in under a week.  

A server wipe is not necessary.  

I guess in 3 or 4 more months you'll start playing Mortal Online again?

Meanwhile I'll be enjoying it now.

Point taken.

Any company has the legal right to wipe a server, it's just a matter of pissing off current playerbase vs. potentially finding new subscribers. I don't know of any MMOs that have actually done this ... but it would certainly restore my will to play.

I look at it from a marketing perspective ... 

1) Build in a few more patches (the content patch, more bug fixes)

2) Reward existing players with a certain amount of free game time

3) Wipe

4) Publicly announce that some missteps were taken, apologize, and market the game across all media sources indicating that MO is taking a fresh approach and would like to welcome back previous customers with a free month.

It's like the Tylenol story: they pulled back all of their initial product and garnered a massive amount of public approval for "doing the right thing." Now it's one of the most popular drug brands of all time.

Assuming what you say is true that is certainly not the general public impression.

Most people have heard about and believe that bugs have caused major imbalances. There is no way to prove that it has all be undone via bans. Case in point: if I were to login right now I should still have a bank full of Dragonigena Armatus books that I bought for 10s.

Assuming what you say is true that is certainly not the general public impression.

Most people have heard about and believe that bugs have caused major imbalances. There is no way to prove that it has all be undone via bans. Case in point: if I were to login right now I should still have a bank full of Dragonigena Armatus books that I bought for 10s.

Your bank full of Dragonigena Armatus books is not game breaking rofl.  

I encourage you to log in and start giving them out for free.  Let's see the results.  I predict it won't change a damn thing in Nave.  Same with Ogmium books, Same with any book really.  

Also keep in mind that you don't need books to "learn" how to use most items now.  These books will just give you a boost in that books skill.  It's best used for skilling up while offline.  

Cool for you. That armor is used by noobs only. Also, every single armor crafter and his dog got it and with soon to hit live learn by doing that books might not be useful anymore. Hell, right now you won't even need a book for Damage Assessment anymore. There is no uber book that will give you an advantage for longer then a week in MO and even if you got some book cheaper then others then so what? You've got a week advantage that counts for nothing in the long run.

If you had bank full of duped gold then chances are(by chances read 99,9%) that all of it is long gone.