Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My simple thoughts

bmoscatobmoscato Member Posts: 40

My thoughts. I'm not trolling...

I started playing the game 3 days ago; I probably logged 7 hours in game. I completed the 10 tutorial missions, I ran a bunch of transport missions and also ran some bounty hunter ones. I ended up with the 3 bots (1 starting one and 2 from missions). What I found is that the graphics are subpar to say the least; but I still had to drop the graphic settings down to a minimum for the game to actually run without lag. I'm hoping that the graphics are just a beta stage...

The chat window is just too cumbersome to have open when you're in the bot.

Looting bots after you kill them is a task in and of itself, left click, right click, bang on the keyboard, yell a little then click some more and then the container opens up for you to loot.

The sliver of a graphic that is called a map is a joke, please make the map bigger and the points of interest smaller.

Locking more than one fighting target is a problem; lock target 1 and engage, lock target 2 and you stop fighting because there is no primary target... My primary target is the one I was firing at!

Loot needs to be diversified. All transport missions give the same loot depending upon origin and quantity of items being transported.

It would be nice if all items/objects would be displayed on the targeting display instead of pulling up the points of interest and the map to try and compile a complete overview.

Every NPC in the game weapons follow you when they are fired. You can strafe, hide behind a rock or whatever; if they fired prior to you moving, you will get hit!

Comments

• lilsteezlilsteez Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by bmoscato

I started playing the game 3 days ago; I probably logged 7 hours in game. I completed the 10 tutorial missions, I ran a bunch of transport missions and also ran some bounty hunter ones. I ended up with the 3 bots (1 starting one and 2 from missions). What I found is that the graphics are subpar to say the least; but I still had to drop the graphic settings down to a minimum for the game to actually run without lag. I'm hoping that the graphics are just a beta stage...

This is true the client does need A LOT of optimization. But it is something they are working on.

Not sure what you mean by this.

Looting bots after you kill them is a task in and of itself, left click, right click, bang on the keyboard, yell a little then click some more and then the container opens up for you to loot.

Haven't had this issue. It's probably lag which is a problem in this game.

The sliver of a graphic that is called a map is a joke, please make the map bigger and the points of interest smaller.

The map is resizable and you can zoom in and out. This foes for both in minimap and the big map.

Locking more than one fighting target is a problem; lock target 1 and engage, lock target 2 and you stop fighting because there is no primary target... My primary target is the one I was firing at!

This is because you are using the primary target command to lock. There is a secondary lock command that wont switch your primary. I suggest keybinding them to make it easier.

Loot needs to be diversified. All transport missions give the same loot depending upon origin and quantity of items being transported.

Mission loot does suck. But the missions suck as well. If you enjoy them then that's cool but really there are more fun things to go do.

It would be nice if all items/objects would be displayed on the targeting display instead of pulling up the points of interest and the map to try and compile a complete overview.

Not sure if your reffering to the Landmarks window or the Targeting Computer. The targeting computer only shows what you have locked and it should definitely not be changed. The Landmarks window has a filter tab so you can customize what you want it to display.

Every NPC in the game weapons follow you when they are fired. You can strafe, hide behind a rock or whatever; if they fired prior to you moving, you will get hit!

Almost every mmo does it this way. Except for if you hide behind a rock before they fire and you are still there when they fire then it will hit the rock. It makes sense in this game to though as Lasers and EM weapons are instantanious and missles are self propelled with there own locking mechanism.

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

I played Prepetuum in open beta and really liked the game.. But everything you said in you're post is valid and includes some of the complaints i had with the game myself.. Praticularly the locking and looting, which includes multiple botton clicks and seems like it'd be impossible to do mid-battle or something.. But i'am sure this game will become more streamlined as it matures, justl like EvE did.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• SineathSineath Member Posts: 224

double click a corpse and it opens the loot window for you.

double click something and it auto locks for you.

I've never seen devs and GMs so actively fixing anything that people complain about.  Great game.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

yeah man, you double click a corpse (clearly visible box on the screen), then one mouse click to auto loot all.

How is that "cumbersome"?

lol

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Find your Radar window and keep it open all the time. Only open your map when you need to navigate someplace.

Use 'F' to start target locking something. Use 'R' to select your primary target. Use the spacebar to fire all your weapons at the same time at your primary target.

Missions are not 'quests'. They are just filler or something that will give you some additional rewards while you go do what you would be doing anyway (mining, killing npc bots, harvesting crops, manufacturing stuff, etc.)

This game is not MechWarrior and the combat will not work like a first person shooter (or MechWarrior). It works like any standard MMO game.

Not sure about the looting, but familiarize yourself with the 'tapping' used in PO. If you are the first person to hit a mob, and then it dies, you get the loot. If you aren't the first person to hit it, you will not get the loot, regardless of whether you lock onto it or not. When the box opens, click the 'Loot All' button (may be worded differently).

Also, there are lag spikes. This could affect the opening of the loot boxes. I haven't seen that, but I don't see why it wouldn't affect it. This may be where the delays are in opening your loot boxes.

Not sure about graphics. They look fine to me. Maybe enable anti-aliasing and the other "A" setting. That made a big difference in my visuals.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Neoxx27Neoxx27 Member Posts: 63

UI organization:  Resize your chat and radar windows to fit your screen.  If you have a small monitor it may be hard to keep the chat window open all the time, but you cant blame the game for you having little screen real estate.  

Radar:  The radar can be resized and zoomed, so you should have no problem getting it to the point where its clear to your eyes and useful.  To make it more useful, turn on Passible Terrain by right clicking the radar, go to 'Map Type' and select 'Passible Terrain'

Looting:  Double click the container and you will auto-move to it and open it.  Press G to loot all or as much as will fit in your cargo.  Hold down Ctrl when clicking to select multiple items to move.  Hold down Shift when clicking to select all between 2 items.  Hold down Shift when moving items to specify how much of that item you want to move.

Targetting:  Use F to secondary lock your target.   You will start targeting the second one while still being able to shoot your main target.  I suggest rebinding unlock to Q for quick access when you lock the wrong thing (ground, container, wrong target).

Mission "loot" is a special type of ammo that is generally used in PvP.  I guess it would be nice to get different items for different missions, but for now it serves a purpose and is a very good reward if used correctly.

Weapon aim:  This is not an FPS game, so dont expect one.  There is no 'tracking' for weapons because there is also no player/NPC clipping.  There used to be tracking but it was abused by simply running through your enemy and they could never fire on you.  Use the terrain to your advantage and you shouldnt have any problem avoiding NPC fire.  But, the best tactic against NPC's is kiting them out of their locking range.

• bmoscatobmoscato Member Posts: 40

Originally posted by BigCountry
    yeah man, you double click a corpse (clearly visible box on the screen), then one mouse click to auto loot all.

How is that "cumbersome"?
    lol

LOL... So funny... I know how to loot, go back and read what I wrote, my point is that the lag was not allowing me to open the box.

People always seem to crack me up when they assume that someone doesn't know what they are doing.

This is because you are using the primary target command to lock. There is a secondary lock command that wont switch your primary. I suggest keybinding them to make it easier.

Thanks, this part really did help me.

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413

This is another example of somebody sampling the game having only played for a small amount of time and then coming to a conclusion having only experienced a tiny tiny amount of the game.

Oh boy.

All i can say is put the time and energy in, learn to play the game properly,  then come back after a few weeks with your opinion. Every new mmo suffers from the sub 10 hour syndrome. Gees.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Eve started out alot more shakey and look where they are now, this game is alot more polished then Eve and will do very well as long as problems are fixed and content added.

" Charlie Mike "

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA

Originally posted by emota
    This is another example of somebody sampling the game having only played for a small amount of time and then coming to a conclusion having only experienced a tiny tiny amount of the game.

Oh boy.

All i can say is put the time and energy in, learn to play the game properly,  then come back after a few weeks with your opinion. Every new mmo suffers from the sub 10 hour syndrome. Gees.

Really? So, the issues that I found don't exist? I didn't say that the game is trash and I didn't say that I'm not still playing it. I just gave my thoughts about what I've encountered so far.

But now I have a question for anyone that might have an answer for me. Tell me one good thing about the game that makes you log in and play? Maybe I’m missing some content that everyone else finds captivating. I’m still having trouble with the time based experience; it’s one of the things that annoyed me about EVE.

I now have about 20 hours of seat time playing the game and I've run all the different mission types; courier, kill, retrieve, mine, scan… I went out and explored a bunch of different areas. I’ve been killed by medium mechs while exploring. I’ve tried missile and auto cannon layouts with different types of ammo. Since I’m new, I haven’t trained laser or hybrids as I don’t have the skill points to invest in the skills. I’ve purchased stuff from the market, I’ve sold recourses from mining and item drops from bot kills as well as ammo and missiles from missions.

I can say that most of the player base is friendly and helpful. Any questions I’ve had have been answered without sarcasm. It is also nice to see GM’s running around and also answering questions.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

Hmm, I don't have any of those problems. I took a different route though: my first goal was to be able to manufacture my own ammo (missiles and bullets). This meant using the geo-scanner to find the best mining spots for HDT and Titan ore, and also exploring enough to find the Helioptris plants.

Once I mined/harvested enough, I had to reverse engineer the ammo, and start making it. During this time, I only ran the 10 tutorial missions. I look forward to logging in to see what I've made, and what I can sell it for.

I set the graphics to max, and run two clients on my machine at the same time. Very little lag. I did learn how to target two things at once. and keep shooting the first one. Looting seems to be nothing, just double click.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by emota

Oh boy.

You don't need to play a game for 10 weeks to figure out that you don't like its loot system or UI.

Pretty much what the OP stated in his post is stuff that dosn't change through out the game.. Nothing wrong about shareing you're opinions and sometimes it helps others who are trying to get some info on this game but not wait "weeks" for it to trickle out.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

This the thread where someone complains about a game not being easy enough?

"Little sliver of a map"???  Resizing is for suckers i guess.

Wait, what the UI isnt what you were accustomed to??  Quick back to the drawing board, theres got to be a way to import the wow UI into this game damnit!

Looting sucks!  why cant we have little cash shop pets to run around and loot for us!  Having to choose looting or living blows! For god sake, they have a "take all" button on the damn loot window. 

The prescription: go play darkfall, where the UI is 500x worse to manage, and looting, well, as fustrating as possible as to leave you vulnerable for attack.  Come back and revel over perpetuums great UI and easy looting system.  Seriously though the UI is both functional ans easy to use for anyone with more than 1 years experience using a computer.

No seriously this game takes more than a run though the tutorial to really grasp, however i think EVE vets have less of a learning curve than the rest of us.  Do you really have to get use to something in a matter of minuets for you to enjoy it?

Just wait untill you find out how badly you fcked up your EP and starting attributes!

• SineathSineath Member Posts: 224

First, I thought he was just giving a first impression and needed help learning some of the basics.  Then, he whined that he knew what he was doing.  Then, the very next posts he thanks someone for telling him some of the basics.  He's very confusing.

Now that I look back, every one of his issues was because he didn't know how to play that game.  how to double click an item, how to lock onto his target, how to resize windows.

Very dissapointing thread.

Originally posted by Sineath
    First, I thought he was just giving a first impression and needed help learning some of the basics.  Then, he whined that he knew what he was doing.  Then, the very next posts he thanks someone for telling him some of the basics.  He's very confusing.
    Now that I look back, every one of his issues was because he didn't know how to play that game.  how to double click an item, how to lock onto his target, how to resize windows.
    Very dissapointing thread.

If you followed my post you would've realized that there was a progression in time. I did have a problem with opening loot; but this only happened on my laptop not my main PC; it is a lag issue where it doesn't matter how many times I double click the item, it wouldn't open.

I also had a problem with the targeting; since I play EVE I thought it was the same principle, but it’s not. You have to target a main fighting target and then just each individual target afterwards. Once the main target is dead, you must select the next fighting target. Pretty gimp!

I don’t like the map, nor do I like the chat window. These are my opinions and we all know that opinions are like a**holes and everyone has one.

For the person that told me to play Darkdfall, I did and I loved it. There was no population there to stay!

I love all the people that post to just get a post count or to give their misguided criticism of what they think I was saying! Go back reread or move on. Did I say that the game sucks? Did I say not to play it? Did I say that I wasn’t playing it?