Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help! I think my video card is dead.

tjet73tjet73 Member UncommonPosts: 19

I had a power outage. The first time i booted up after everything seemed fine. The next time I have red verticle lines through my display. I have tried a different monitor same result. Also when I do a dxdiag none of my video display info showes up. I have an XFX 9800GT. I have also the latest drivers. Any thoughts or is it a lost cause.

Comments

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Do you have on board graphics capabilities? If you do try pulling out your video card and hooking your monitor to your regular monitor port on back of your computer. Not the one on the video card. Does it work now? If it does then YES it's your video card! If it still don't work I'd worry if might be the motherboard.... But not nessassarily!

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Vertical lines were the first sign i had on the last two GPU's that have died on me.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Yeah that sounds like a dying videocard, at least if you get them in more than one game.

That or all colors getting weird are the 2 usual warning signs that you need to get a new card. And possibly a extra chassi fan as well, heat is often the bandit behind this.

I have killed 2 video cards in 15 years of PC gaming, my old Nvidia 7950 started just like yours. I think it was my old ATI Rage II card that got the weird colors but I seen both at friends dying cards as well.

The 9800 is pretty high clocked and things like this happens. But get that extra fan as well.

I am giving your card a few weeks before it dies totally.

• tjet73tjet73 Member UncommonPosts: 19

I have no onboard video. Thanks for the help guys, This sucks its only 2 maybe 3 yrs old. I planned on getting a new card soon but was hoping to use this in another computer. I can't play any games, it says "failed to find suitable diplay device".

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Take your card out and look for cracked capacitors, and burned IC chips.   If there are no visible signs of worn parts you can always try the oven bake or a painter's heat gun to fix the vias.   Neither are a long term solution, but if it does fix your problem it may give you enough time to purchase a new card.

I oven baked my laptops NVIDIA card and bought a pad cooler to help dissipate the heat.   It has been working for 6 months now. image

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

If it's an XFX card and you registered it when you bought it, it will still be under warranty.  You could get a warranty replacement for it and use the replacement card in whatever you had in mind for that card.

XFX doesn't make Nvidia cards anymore, so they'd probably send you an AMD card as the replacement.  Even so, a Radeon HD 5670, 5750, 4830, 4850, or 4770 (the nearest AMD equivalents) would be a perfectly nice replacement card.  I'm not sure what exactly XFX will have available.

• tjet73tjet73 Member UncommonPosts: 19

Thanks all for the info and thanks Quizzical for the headsup I returned the card to XFX a few weeks ago and recieved a new Radeon HD 5750 today.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

That's a significant upgrade for you, too.  It offers ignificantly better performance, reduced power consumption, and a better feature set, particularly DirectX 11 compatibility.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

its funny how much gamers underestimate the need for a UPS.  Power outages and even the little power fluctuations that keep pinging those expensive power supplies you own really start to add up.  Its just funny that people are confused as to why their hardware fails after a power outage.

anyway, while your at it invest in a decent UPS.