Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I join a Korean server?

WoW is quite addicting, from the numerous testimonies that I've heard & read, but as it is an epic academic bane for college students everywhere, and the hottest time-burner of any MMORPG ever known, I have decided to not start my own account on WoW until either of the following happens:

1. I retire in 2050, therefore have all the time I have in the world, and with minimal obligations in meatspace.

2. I figure out a way to join a Korean server.

I already know how to read & write the Hangeul language. (Being half-Korean myself helped me gain the motivation to do so.) However, as I do not yet know how to converse in it, I had figured that fellow Korean WoW players would help me learn just by playing the game with them.

The thing is, I am an American citizen, so I am sure it would be tougher for me to obtain a way to enter a Korean server on this fabled game.

Therefore, what are all of the steps I need to get in? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• SurfriderSurfrider Member UncommonPosts: 302

You may have to go through a proxy to get onto the Korean server set.  We have a few players in my guild from Australia and I believe that's what they did.  Alternatively, you may be able to find a Korean guild on a US server; try searching Google.

That said, if one of your goals is to limit play time you may want to check out the Parental Controls.  You should be able to set time limits.

Good luck!

• EgaoNoGenkiEgaoNoGenki Member Posts: 397

Originally posted by Surfrider

You may have to go through a proxy to get onto the Korean server set.  We have a few players in my guild from Australia and I believe that's what they did.  Alternatively, you may be able to find a Korean guild on a US server; try searching Google.

That said, if one of your goals is to limit play time you may want to check out the Parental Controls.  You should be able to set time limits.

Good luck!

Why a proxy to get on a Korean server? Why should Blizzard's Korea bureau block the rest of the world especially if their players travel abroad with their laptops (or even their smartphones? After all, their phones' techs are a few years ahead of ours!) and may want to keep playing no matter where they are?

Sorry, but a Korean guild on a US server isn't going to suffice. I'd like to be a minority who learns Korean, not a part of a minority guild where the rest of the members learn English. I wouldn't learn the language as fast if in that case as opposed to on a Korean server.

I won't care about the play time once I'm on a Korean server because more time on WoW means more of the language learned. Having access to my own parental controls would make the controls weak.

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

When the companies set up their games in different regions, they are there for that country or specific region to play on. The only way for someone from a different region to play on another regions servers is by proxy servers.

• vipigorvipigor Member Posts: 4

You have to have a Korean social security number : ). Don't ask me why ...

P.S.

You could ask someone from Korea to buy you a game there, create account for you. Download a Korean client. If the servers are not allowing non Korean IP than you need to use a proxy. And why, games are different for the easteran market, sometimes. WoW has some anti farmer mechanics that are not present in the US and EU )

• vipigorvipigor Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by DevilXaphan

When the companies set up their games in different regions, they are there for that country or specific region to play on. The only way for someone from a different region to play on another regions servers is by proxy servers.

How does a proxy bypass the obligatory identification process ?

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

Originally posted by vipigor

How does a proxy bypass the obligatory identification process ?

Family who might have one.

Originally posted by vipigor

You have to have a Korean social security number : ). Don't ask me why ...

I don't, but my mother should still, having been born and raised there until college. Will borrowing her's be enough, or what else must I do to get in, in terms of this ID'ing process?

Moreover, US games don't mandate SSNs, and they welcome international players, so why do Korean games NEED to shut us out? (If a government statute, what statute and why is it there?)

Moreover, how will I be sure that proxies won't make the game extra slow? (Moreover, all proxies I've tried using won't allow Flash to run, so a similar fate might befall this game. If that's the case, how do I override this limitation?)

And are you SURE that the Korean WoW will not let IPs from outside Korea get in their servers? (Because if you're not guessing, would you please link a source backing this up?)

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

Originally posted by shultz

I don't, but my mother should still, having been born and raised there until college. Will borrowing her's be enough, or what else must I do to get in, in terms of this ID'ing process?

Moreover, US games don't mandate SSNs, and they welcome international players, so why do Korean games NEED to shut us out? (If a government statute, what statute and why is it there?)

Moreover, how will I be sure that proxies won't make the game extra slow? (Moreover, all proxies I've tried using won't allow Flash to run, so a similar fate might befall this game. If that's the case, how do I override this limitation?)

And are you SURE that the Korean WoW will not let IPs from outside Korea get in their servers? (Because if you're not guessing, would you please link a source backing this up?)

I highly doubt the game itself is IP locked. 

The reason why asian servers are locked is because they are (relatively) cheaper then western ones, so they don't want people going there. Don't koreans pay by hour as well? :S

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

Originally posted by sacredfool

I highly doubt the game itself is IP locked. 

The reason why asian servers are locked is because they are (relatively) cheaper then western ones, so they don't want people going there. Don't koreans pay by hour as well? :S

Well then, how cheap are you talking? (And are there other reasons why the Korean servers shut out the international community as well?)

• xBludxxBludx Member Posts: 376

Not true. I'm in Korea and I play on American servers.

I needed the box set from the US to get in though because of my Korean IP address. I ordered the battlechest from amazon and had  it sent to someone in the US who them mailed  it to me here. After installing that and having someone in the US set up my account from their IP address, I could get in. Then all updates and expansions are available online, so no problem.

To do what OP wants to do, he may need to have help from Korea, doing what I did but the other way round.

One of you said that to play on a Korean server is cheaper. Again, how cheap are we talking?

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

One of you said that to play on a Korean server is cheaper. Again, how cheap are we talking?

$4

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• FarReachFarReach Member Posts: 229

You should just have to change your Realmlist.wtf to the Korean servers. I don't know what they are, but I'm sure you could find out while you're looking for how to make a Korean Account.

I used to flip flop between US and EU servers all the time. I don't know how it works for the Asian ones, I know the Chinese version is ran by an entirely different company.

Originally posted by EndDream

$4

That is so awesome. Where do you get your sources?

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

that's sort of a lie

it;s not 4$

the prices are as follows:

1 month - 20 000 won (~15$)

30 hours - 15 000 won (11$)

You don't have to buy the game though, so you save 150$ right there.

they have other methods of payment too, but these are the major ones.

so for casual players, paying per hour is best (especially if you can only play on weekends)

for hardcore, they have cool monthly deals, but it's about the same a month

I was going to sign up, but ended up skipping on it because not only I don't speak Korean, but it would be very hard for me to find people to party up with, unless other english speakers want to join

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs