Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Something to play until rift

hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604

EDIT****  I decided on warhammer online despite the risks.  Thanks for all the input from everyone it was really helpful.  Feel free to post for the sake of other forum viewers with similar views as mine.

Hello everyone,

I'm back again looking for a game that would be fun enough to keep my attention until RIFT is released sometime in early 2011 (..well i hope). Last time i was on here looking for a game i decided to resub Aion and at the beginning it was fresh and fun.  Way less grind than the pre 2.0 patches.  However things started to feel too linear and I just lost interest.  I was never able to immerse myself in the story and i decided that the art style just isn't for me. 

Here are some of the games i own and can re sub anytime:

-WOW

- Everquest 2

- looking at maybe DAOC

Since this is only a game to hold me over until another one, i was wondering how is WOW now (last time i played was 2006 or so) is it easy to get into?  Everquest on the otherhand i enjoyed alot but since it is only a game i will be playing for a few months I'd want to stay away from it because it requires a good amount of research on AAs, xp locking, and such prior to actually playing your class.  One thing i liked about it though is it was easy to immerse yourself in, it wasn't just pass through each zone doing x amount of quests so your x level by this zone.  you could do things such as dropping a certain amount of an item in a lake and spawning a heroic boss that was never there before.  Stuff that isn't included in the questing.

I heard DAOC was fun but it is very top heavy.  Since that is the case does anyone know if it is possible to blow through the content solo to get to max level and that end game pvp that everyone always claimed to be the best..  

Any suggestions help, just don't want to sub a game to be bored a week later and just uninstall it.

Comments

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604

Originally posted by bronecar

Try out WoT image

WoT?  I haven't really followed much... no idea what that is

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

Here ya go:

1) Warhammer Online for a PvP MMO

2) Lord of the Rings Online for a non-PvP MMO

3) World of Warcraft Cata for both

Cant go wrong with any of these.

Originally posted by UnleadedRev

Here ya go:

is warhammer just as fun as the unlimited trial when you get into higher tiers.  I heard it can be empty..

[Mod Edit]

Since you are playing both eq2 and wow, which do you recommend for playing saying the 4 months it may take for rift to release

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

If you're into decent PvP (ship fights, port control, etc) and something different, there's always Pirates of the Burning Sea that just recently went F2P with very few restrictions.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • theartisttheartist Member Posts: 553

Originally posted by hockeyplayr

Here ya go:

is warhammer just as fun as the unlimited trial when you get into higher tiers.  I heard it can be empty..

[Mod Edit]

I'm not playing EQ2 or WoW but from what I see both are lively at the moment with new content coming. Kind of funny WoW's getting werewolves and EQ2's getting vampires. You Team Thrall or Team Lucan?

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

If you ever gave Aion a try, it is open free to play for the next 10ish days(they reactivated all of the old accounts) -- so if you are looking for a short term game, that might be an option.  Regardless aion has improved the drop rates quite a bit making it a lot more ... to level up a character.

Then there are free-to-play games.

One example of a decent FTP game for your short term is iris online.  NEO isnt a bad choice for that either.

You could also go back to an old old game that you used to play and catch up some -- that would be something like an asheron's call or in your case renewing that EQ1 account. 

----

There is a certain peaceful frame of mind that playing an MMO (knowing you are going elsewhere in 3 months) provides.  It changes the way you look at things.

----

I wouldnt recommend going back to DaoC without having a second account to buff your character with. 

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

completely forgot about warhammer.. It always seemed interesting just so many bad comments about it made me stay away from it.  Right now after all the suggestions and looking at all the games people have posted above, i think i am between Warhammer and Wow.

One thing that may be a deciding factor is i do like pvp.  Is it done in wow at all prior to max level because i really do not want to buy all the expansions for a game I'm going to leave in a couple of months

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685
  • just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by theartist

Here ya go:

[Mod Edit]

I'm not playing EQ2 or WoW but from what I see both are lively at the moment with new content coming. Kind of funny WoW's getting werewolves and EQ2's getting vampires. You Team Thrall or Team Lucan?

You are aware that WoW is just freely getting worgen/werewolves and that VAMPIRES have to be UNLOCKED in EQ2, right?  Not everyone will get the option of playing a vampire.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

Originally posted by bronecar

May I add WoT is all about PvP? image

my roommates play it.  I am just not a big fan of tanks and maybe i'm just watching a bad vid but the pvp seems to be slow.

• XenOshadeXenOshade Member UncommonPosts: 95

A great game you can play short term and is an FTP is League of Legends. It isn't really an mmo (it falls under the class of MOBA or Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) since it is about pvp in 3v3 or 5v5 matches, but it is probably one of the better FTP games I have played. I have also tried bloodline champions but I personally lean towards League. Very fun and you can play it when ever you want without feeling as if you are falling behind if you dont play everyday. Honestly if you are looking for something to hold you over until a game comes out, or just looking for something to play here and there I would recomend League of Legends

• JappaJappa Member Posts: 2

I would definetly try out Vindictus, fast action packed mmorpg, like Aion but without the wings, grind and other bs

• XenOshadeXenOshade Member UncommonPosts: 95

I have tried vindictus and it was fun, but I dont think I could compare it to an open world mmo such as Aion since all of Vindictus is instanced except for the single town hub (that I have seen). I will say though that if you do you will quickly find that hardmode is really the normal mode and what they call normal mode is the half asleep bored out of your mind mode.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

completely forgot about warhammer.. It always seemed interesting just so many bad comments about it made me stay away from it.  Right now after all the suggestions and looking at all the games people have posted above, i think i am between Warhammer and Wow.

One thing that may be a deciding factor is i do like pvp.  Is it done in wow at all prior to max level because i really do not want to buy all the expansions for a game I'm going to leave in a couple of months

There are two major problems with Warhammer as it currently stands.

1: While there are plenty of people at low level and at high level there is nobody inbetween.  This means you will have a significant solo grind through the mid-levels without the battlegrounds and PQs etc that define the game.

2: There is a severe glut of players who are max level 80+ RR.  In essence once you actually do get to the high tier battlegrounds and actual RvR for your side to take the zones you find that you are so severely outgeared and out RRed by your opponents that they can kill you quite easily and if you are a tank class you arent good enough to tank and if you are a dps class you are doing as much dps as a geared 80+ tank does except you have no survivability.

-----

Warhammer could really use a 40/40 server where people start off as level 40 with 40 RR and no transfers on.  This would bring a lot of people back.

-----

Note there is a third major problem but this one can be overcome with research.  DO NOT go on a server where your side is severely outnumbered.  It is NOT fun.  (Of course it is even less fun when you are merged into such a situation but that is another story).

Originally posted by centkin

There are two major problems with Warhammer as it currently stands.

1: While there are plenty of people at low level and at high level there is nobody inbetween.  This means you will have a significant solo grind through the mid-levels without the battlegrounds and PQs etc that define the game.

2: There is a severe glut of players who are max level 80+ RR.  In essence once you actually do get to the high tier battlegrounds and actual RvR for your side to take the zones you find that you are so severely outgeared and out RRed by your opponents that they can kill you quite easily and if you are a tank class you arent good enough to tank and if you are a dps class you are doing as much dps as a geared 80+ tank does except you have no survivability.

-----

Warhammer could really use a 40/40 server where people start off as level 40 with 40 RR and no transfers on.  This would bring a lot of people back.

-----

Note there is a third major problem but this one can be overcome with research.  DO NOT go on a server where your side is severely outnumbered.  It is NOT fun.  (Of course it is even less fun when you are merged into such a situation but that is another story).

I've been doing alot of reading and people seem to say that there is a healthy population for all tiers on the badlands server.. However, at least for this site, it seems to be the same group of say 5 people saying that.  

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

Might I suggest Guild Wars. I recently started it great game.

Chamber of Chains

Originally posted by cheyane

Might I suggest Guild Wars. I recently started it great game.

I never liked how it was all instanced.  I plan on picking up guild wars 2 when it comes out because they decided to make it persistent

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

I have played almost literally every MMORPG since Everquest.  For me it is no longer just the setting or the freedom to roam it is all about gameplay. See I can have a whole world to explore but if the content is boring and the game does not make me work hard to get my skills and levels it is no longer worth it. What is the point of exploring and seeing other people if those people will not group with you unless you have some fierce off the charts gear or dps or filled with random pugs that barely grunt let alone string two words together in an attempt at being civil. Have you ever heard of being alone and lonely in a crowd. That is how I feel in popular games that sometimes offer little to nothing in interaction because everyone is in a guild or busy checking whether you are well heeled. 

We often ask about population and whether you can get groups and how the world is but forget about the community and how if people do not talk to you or help you at the end of the day it does not matter how populated a game is.

Guild Wars you get challenging content that forces you to think and rethink how to approach a situation and even go back and repick your spells and skills. You do not have anyone to play with then you can play with heroes and henchmen that often sometimes behave better than real people who play badly image  Grouping with people has been so much fun in this game while we experiment with our skills and make mistakes and just have fun.

So yes I recommend the game because in a long time I have found a game that makes me think and choose wisely and play smartly. Last game that did that was City of Villains and to some extent when I soloed in LotRO.

Chamber of Chains
  • theartisttheartist Member Posts: 553

Originally posted by just1opinion

Originally posted by theartist

Here ya go:

[Mod Edit]

You are aware that WoW is just freely getting worgen/werewolves and that VAMPIRES have to be UNLOCKED in EQ2, right?  Not everyone will get the option of playing a vampire.

You have to get the xpack to play werewolves in WoW so it's not exactly free either bub.

Money invested is the name of the game, I know this.

Originally posted by cheyane

I have played almost literally every MMORPG since Everquest.  For me it is no longer just the setting or the freedom to roam it is all about gameplay. See I can have a whole world to explore but if the content is boring and the game does not make me work hard to get my skills and levels it is no longer worth it. What is the point of exploring and seeing other people if those people will not group with you unless you have some fierce off the charts gear or dps or filled with random pugs that barely grunt let alone string two words together in an attempt at being civil. Have you ever heard of being alone and lonely in a crowd. That is how I feel in popular games that sometimes offer little to nothing in interaction because everyone is in a guild or busy checking whether you are well heeled. 

We often ask about population and whether you can get groups and how the world is but forget about the community and how if people do not talk to you or help you at the end of the day it does not matter how populated a game is.

Guild Wars you get challenging content that forces you to think and rethink how to approach a situation and even go back and repick your spells and skills. You do not have anyone to play with then you can play with heroes and henchmen that often sometimes behave better than real people who play badly image  Grouping with people has been so much fun in this game while we experiment with our skills and make mistakes and just have fun.

So yes I recommend the game because in a long time I have found a game that makes me think and choose wisely and play smartly. Last game that did that was City of Villains and to some extent when I soloed in LotRO.

I like your take on community and i think that's why im hesitant on wow to begin with.  It has 12 million people yet i always hear people complaining that everyone checks gear ratings for groups and such.  It's not about the player anymore but the toon.  

With guildwars i maxed out a couple toons back when it came out but that was only because i was playing with my friends from back home.  I hated the instancing but who i was playing with made it enjoyable.  If i were to use henchmen i just  wouldn't find it fun.  (i know b/c i tried it last semester)

I think im going to try war despite the low population.  I learned from private servers as well as eq2 that as long as you find people to interact with, its fun even though there aren't the huge numbers there.  I sort have forgotten that along the way and you just reminded me.

Thanks