Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam: Idle bandwidth hog?

VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

I just recently started using steam to download games and I've noticed something thats really pissing me off.

About 10 minutes ago, my bandwidth was pegged and i couldnt even load a single webpage.  I checked to see what applications were running and if any of these were using bandwidth and steam was going ape poop crazy both upstream and downstream using up every bit of my bandwidth!

I havnt played a steam game in days, but it just sits there in the back ground.  Now I find out that it appears to be serving out transfers?  Whats going on with steam?  Does this thing work like some sort of torrent sharing?

Is there any way to make the steam client NOT load up when I play one of the games I downloaded from them?

Comments

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Maybe steam turns your PC into a zombie and you're being used to create a DDoS attack on Wiki Leaks. image

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Uncheck the setting "Run Steam when my computer starts" in it's interface settings. Shut down steam when you are not playing one of the games you play through it. If it's running there is a Steam icon in the system tray. Right click on it and choose Exit.

They released a Team Fortress 2 beta client today. Something about trying new tech while not breaking the current game.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

Originally posted by grunty

Uncheck the setting "Run Steam when my computer starts" in it's interface settings. Shut down steam when you are not playing one of the games you play through it. If it's running there is a Steam icon in the system tray. Right click on it and choose Exit.

They released a Team Fortress 2 beta client today. Something about trying new tech while not breaking the current game.

thanks Grunty

still confused why its using up all my bandwidth.  I mean, its not even cool about it using a small percentage, it was absolutely pegged going upstream and downstream.  I'll keep it off from now on

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

To my knowledge Steam does not use your system as a distribution point for their stuff. Steam does automatically update any game you acquire throught them.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams