Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Characters

SineathSineath Member Posts: 224

How is it beneficial to play multiple characters?  Long term?  Short term?

Comments

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

Both long term and short term: very.

But I suggest you to join a good corporation asap.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Multiple characters or multiple accounts? Your EP accumulates account wide, so you have to spread your EP out among all your characters per account. It seems to me it would just slow down progression for you overall compared to having a single character focused on something in a corporation. The game isn't really setup for each account to be self-sufficient.

If you have multiple accounts though, your EP would accumulate per account and you could have one combat spec, one gathering spec, one manufacturing spec, etc.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SineathSineath Member Posts: 224

From what I've heard, your cost to buy a skill is dependent on the type of character you made.  A combat oriented character buying crafting skills will pay more skill points than a crafting oriented character.

This is why its better to have multiple characters.

However, are their skills the intertwine and could be needed by both types of characters?  How easy is it to move items between characters?

This should be thought through before spending 2 weeks worth of skill points on a skill that costs 5 days of skill points for another type of character.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Sineath
    From what I've heard, your cost to buy a skill is dependent on the type of character you made.  A combat oriented character buying crafting skills will pay more skill points than a crafting oriented character.
    However, are their skills the intertwine and could be needed by both types of characters?  How easy is it to move items between characters?
    This should be thought through before spending 2 weeks worth of skill points on a skill that costs 5 days of skill points for another type of character.

There are some skills that seem common - movement speed, target locking, reputation management (diplomacy), etc. I don't think there are too many though.
    All items have to be physically moved, but if both toons are in the same corporation, you could use corporate storage to pass items from one toon to another. Not sure how you would do it at all if you don't have a corporation.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Sineath

This is the least issue. The equation is much simpler:

2x accounts = 2x EP

You can train one character as a combat pilot and the other one as industry oriented at the same time, you would need double the time to get all the extensions trained up on single account.

There are some other advantages that come from being able to log in with 2 characters at the same time, ie. they can transport your loot you get when farming NPC. The other advantage comes from game mechanics, ie. you can use more production slots.