Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pirates of the Burning Sea: Now Officially Free To Play

2»

Comments

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Originally posted by Gruug

Hate to have to ask this but what are "ship storage slots"? Free says "0" and the other options are "100".

It refers to how many ships you can store. Effectively, as a F2P player you cannot store ships in your nation's capital. Although you still have the usual 5 ships at your disposal - 4 berthed and 1 active, so that's not a huge deal.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • Perdition_ukPerdition_uk Member Posts: 181

Can't comment on the economy stuff as I never got to end game so the whole port flipping thing is a mystery to me, but I'm resurrecting my level 40ish pirate as we speak to give this game another go. POTBS is not the perfect game (of course it isn't, if it was it wouldn't be going F2P) but definately worth a try if you've never played it. The avatar combat is rubbish but the Ship to Ship fighting is really good fun.

If you liked Uncharted Waters you know what to expect, though the ship fighting is much better in POTBS.

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

Originally posted by Perdition_uk

Can't comment on the economy stuff as I never got to end game so the whole port flipping thing is a mystery to me, but I'm resurrecting my level 40ish pirate as we speak to give this game another go. POTBS is not the perfect game (of course it isn't, if it was it wouldn't be going F2P) but definately worth a try if you've never played it. The avatar combat is rubbish but the Ship to Ship fighting is really good fun.

If you liked Uncharted Waters you know what to expect, though the ship fighting is much better in POTBS.

Thats funny i like the avatar combat , just wished they had more ui bars for all the options , but i disliked the sea combat , its nothing new sorry :( Its realistic but too much pirates (the old computer game) like style , with whistles and bells.

edit :But biggest let down for me is missing jump >.< i want to jump , i never imagine how much i miss jump , till i play a mmo again without it .

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Pirates don't jump, that's ninja territory. :P

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

Originally posted by Methos12

Pirates don't jump, that's ninja territory. :P

No where is Erol flyn !!!

Seriously they should have added the jump options , i know they did it probaly to give in to the RP community they hoped to foster , but no jump really took away a lot of options

2nd why the hell are all the chairs not usable or only 1 /sit command.

But love the details they put into the dresses and clothings . just a shame the sea combat put off a lot of people .

While its easy to master and quick with upgrades to be uber .

Its a bit sad thats the whole gaming about , i can now understand why it failed .

It like many other MMO showed a lot of promises , but made too many comprimise that satsify none in the end .

EDIT: honestly since its free to play give it a go , cause its not bad at all XP is easy to get .

If you want to test there is the test server which give you free money and tons of crap .

Community i didn´t try sadly did only the test server , but my first impression for a free game its quite awesome .

Beter then DDO not as good as LOTRO , but sadly you need to like the ship to ship battles .

• TomsavageTomsavage Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by describable

game died a death years ago. too little too late.

Mostly due to the economy changes, rather than "the red circles". Being able to turn a town with the eco bombing, which they attempted to fix, then fix the fix.. and in the end  gave up. Economy just nose dived with changes and the ease in which ports could flip without much of a fight. By the time they eventually fixed it, you could barely see anyone anymore bouncing from port to port magically via boats.

They were pretty surprised that most people just left as it was a waste of time and effort doing anything, graphics were "meh" and the bugged quests or just bugs were hilarious. As for the avatar combat... and the samey maps every single time. You could have 6 missions, and 5 of which were the same map !

just awful game, shame the actual ship combat was well done. Everything else... not so much which is why at the death days of the pay to play - they had 4 servers. Compared to the 12 they once had going strong with more about to be added.

They killed their own game, it's gone downhill since preboarding (the parrot preorder pet was awesome). Could have went the distance, but the devs went with the "we'll listen to the customers" who hated some of the changes and were very vocal.

Devs stuck to their guns and the larger "guilds", and thus the game failed. It was a niche branching out that became a graveyard. I still remember the first day of preboarding when the GM moved a goldseller in the middle of the red circle and announced it everywhere.

1. Your "dead game" is showing very heavy loads on the nations on the server select screen.

2. You can't eco-bomb a port anymore. Eco helps but you need to be on the sea to flip a port.

3. I did 35 fights last night. 6v6 through most. Do the math on how many are out on open sea.

4. Graphics were improved in the expansion and there's also manual options for DirectX should players wish to use them.

5. Quests are rarely bugged now. Certainly all the new stuff isn't bugged.

6. They've added in a ton of new missions, all of which use unique maps. Not to mention avatar combat itself has been improved with new animations, new classes and skills.

That's a small example making your ideas flawed. Then again, you'd know this if you'd played it recently.

The point is, this game has changed a LOT recently and all for the good of the game. I'd really recommend people coming to give it a try now, it's genuinely very good!