Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PayPal ONLY means the company is financially unstable.

Comments

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

Originally posted by rodingo

Jeez dude, relax.  PayPal ONLY doesn't mean the company is financially unstable. It just means you are pissed off that you can't/won't buy game time with PayPal. 

Exactly.  They'll have more options in the near future, but the OP should be honest and admit he doesn't like Perpetuum to begin with, which makes me wonder why he's in this forum :)

Pay pal as it stands currently is good for Perpetuum. And as stated with more pay options incoming, so no drama, or is there? From the rational i guess not but from the flamers, omg only pay pal so far run to the hills!

[Mod Edit]

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Hey guys, lets cut out the baiting. Discuss the topic, state your opinion, and respect another's opinion. Thanks!

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

This statement is the biggest crock of manure I've ever read.  If you've ever worked in a spot that uses credit cards, then you would know that the credit card company charge fees, way bigger fees than PayPal.

If anything, I believe this to be smart thinking on their part as it sees more of the sub money going into their pocket and not VISA or MasterCard.  Don't be surprised if you see more companies follow this route.

• unbound55unbound55 Member UncommonPosts: 325

Originally posted by Ceridith

Originally posted by NetBlaise

Paypal is the best form of payment. They don't have to pay fee's for each credit card used

No, but they do have to pay a fee per every transaction. For smaller companies it is cheaper to use paypal, but for larger companies CC is cheaper to accept when the volume gets large enough.

qft

Until you get to a high enough volume to justify agreements with other payment processing alternatives (typically banks), paypal is the best approach currently.  Paypal doesn't charge much more than the fees most banks charge (e.g. Bank of America, JP Morgan).

• residentxresidentx Member UncommonPosts: 123

Paypal is the fastest way to move money around. Your "Respectable" bank will hold your money for days before releasing it.

I can move money in and out of paypal in a matter of hours not days. Paypal has a future.  

• Neoxx27Neoxx27 Member Posts: 63

Originally posted by Vrika

So the company is so financially unstable, that you can't take the risk and give them 10 dollar fee and buy 1 month subscription?

I'd say the company must be financially quite stable considering they aren't trying to get quick cash by selling clients/boxes.

This.   They arent selling you some $50 software fee to start because they know full well their goals for the game.  They are starting small intentionally and are hoping the game slowly picks up speed.  This allows them to address bugs from a growing population and not disappoint masses by over hyping the game.

Paypal is just the easiest way to do transaction with a small community.  They are already working on getting credit/debit options, so I'd assume they'd be available by the time most need to renew their account for another month.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by UnleadedRev

Nothing says it better than a PayPal only game. In all due respect to the Indie Devs for this game....

If you want me to take your game seriously and risk money trying it, then accept credit and debit cards!

Otherwise, since this game was unheard of until recently, with no reviews or previews by PC Gamer, GameSpot, etc, my fear is that it will be like 95% of the other games on this website...that being trash.

[Mod Edit] 

Lets take paymo as a example a means to pay via mobile Paymo when dealing with a smaller developer who cannot guarantee millions going through the system will request that 40% goes to them.

Javien a very popular payment middleware system for debit cards etc will be taking a 30% cut.

You also agree to contracts of x period at x rate so even if your game goes massive overnight these middleware companies are still taking a very large slice of the pie.

Paypal is by far the most sensible option for a indie developer until they have hard monetary figures they can take to the bigger middleware companies and get themselves a better deal that in the end means its better for the player also when 20% extra revenue is going back into the company than some middleware company.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    What's wrong with paypal? Ive been using them for a while now with no issues.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Originally posted by BoyC

Originally posted by Kyleran

Glad to hear that more payment options are on the way, Paypal only was one reason why I haven't signed up yet and its removal will pave they way to me giving it a go.

Removing a payment option would be just silly. We're working on adding as many payment options as possible, paypal included.

I think you'll find he meant removing the obstacle not the payment option, why would he care that you still offerd pp?

For me pp was a prefered method of payment anyway, but if you don't already have an account it is an extra task to get into and will understandably deter some (the inconvienience more than issues for most I would guess).

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• warpriest812warpriest812 Member UncommonPosts: 58

PayPal only does not mean the company is financially unstable. How can you make that claim? You should be ashamed of yourself for spreading lies.

• keitholikeitholi Member UncommonPosts: 140

The OP obviously has no clue what he is talking about. I have been using paypal forover 6 years and have NEVER had a problem with it. In most cases I find it far easier than putting in all my CC info on the website, when I can click one button to go to paypal, login and then press one more button to pay it and be returned to the website.

I have also had 2 different occassions where using paypal as my payment type prevented me from getting scammed bad. I was able to promptly open a review after not receiving my goods, they performed and investigation and I was awarded my funds back.

There is also the fact that using CC's requires a hell of a lot more setup and costs than using paypal. You need to get a processor, pay the processor on a transaction based fee scale, pay for the software and pay for support (not always, but most processors I have dealt with do). So pay a small % to paypal, or incur all these bigger charges to set up CC's so you can buy your $3 trial and quit.

Try getting a bank account instead of using a pre-paid debit card, n00b.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by keitholi

The OP obviously has no clue what he is talking about. I have been using paypal forover 6 years and have NEVER had a problem with it. In most cases I find it far easier than putting in all my CC info on the website, when I can click one button to go to paypal, login and then press one more button to pay it and be returned to the website.

I have also had 2 different occassions where using paypal as my payment type prevented me from getting scammed bad. I was able to promptly open a review after not receiving my goods, they performed and investigation and I was awarded my funds back.

There is also the fact that using CC's requires a hell of a lot more setup and costs than using paypal. You need to get a processor, pay the processor on a transaction based fee scale, pay for the software and pay for support (not always, but most processors I have dealt with do). So pay a small % to paypal, or incur all these bigger charges to set up CC's so you can buy your $3 trial and quit.

While PayPal is great, doesn't this just back up his claims that they are financally unstable? While it does seem like the better way to go for now, stating that paypal is the cheaper way to go just backs up his claims.

I'm not agreeing with the OP at all, just saying.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Nothing says it better than a PayPal only game. In all due respect to the Indie Devs for this game....

If you want me to take your game seriously and risk money trying it, then accept credit and debit cards!

Otherwise, since this game was unheard of until recently, with no reviews or previews by PC Gamer, GameSpot, etc, my fear is that it will be like 95% of the other games on this website...that being trash.

Wow, that is just blindingly ignorant not to mention libelous.

First, it is a small company. 10 guys small. This is exactly the kind of company PayPal was created for. Taking credit cards is a huge PITA. It is financial information, here in the US, compliance laws are making it very difficult for small companies to even consider directly taking credit card information. And I have no doubt that the EU is doing the same for everyone in Europe.  Having paypal take care of it is simply smart business and it free the programmers to work on the game rather than working on a credit card system.  Work to your core competency, contract everything else.

Second, they are an Eastern European company. Most people in say the US are not going to be willing to send credit card digits to a hungarian company. Its a crappy double standard but it is the truth. They open themselves up to many more potential customers by using paypal then they do by taking cards directly. Eventually, when the game has been around for a while and fans are confident that they wont disappear overnight some will be willing to pay to them directly, but at this point in the game. It is just not worth their time to take them directly.

Third, not a small number of banks in the US will not authorize to payments to companies in eastern europe. Hell I had to call my bank to get a specific exception put in place so I could make payments to click and pay in England just to activate FFXIV. I had to do the same to play AoC since funcom is out of Norway. Hungaria? I am sure I would need an acception for there also. Paypal made it much easier for me.

Their choice to just paypal went a long way to convince me they were legit.

And seriously, your title is libel, you need to change it. You don't go saying a company is financially unstable. You can say that it using paypal concerns you and may indicate financial instablity but not a straight claim that they are.

All die, so die well.

• warpriest812warpriest812 Member UncommonPosts: 58

Originally posted by Jimmy562

Originally posted by keitholi

While PayPal is great, doesn't this just back up his claims that they are financally unstable? While it does seem like the better way to go for now, stating that paypal is the cheaper way to go just backs up his claims.

I'm not agreeing with the OP at all, just saying.

Just saying what? That you, like the OP, do not know what the term Financially Unstable means ROFL.

Wow this is just sad /facepalm

• ShaydinShaydin Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by NetBlaise

Paypal is the best form of payment. They don't have to pay fee's for each credit card used

Actually its the easiest and safest. However its also the most expensive on the company. (They take a percentage) I looked into all of this when i was going to start a online busisness.

• Deckard729Deckard729 Member Posts: 30

Seems like PayPal is being used for many online transactions now, and PayPal will most likely be used even more into the future.  Honestly, I too was surprised that they do not have an option to just use a Credit Card through their site, however the game literally just released and they have already talked about adding the option in the future.  At the moment, they are an Indie company with a product that is more polished than some currently out there on the market by much larger publishers.  (Personal opinion of course ;p)

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

What PayPal does is "Aggregate" credit transactions, which is forbidden by the associations (Visa, MC, Discover, Amex, etc). Why they haven't cracked down on PayPal is beyond me, but I suspect its something along the lines of "We're making craptons of cash off of fees on PayPal transactions, so why crack down and lose business?"). Most of the "merchants" on PayPal would never pass due diligence to be allowed to process credit transactions (have to have a bank, a bank account with cash in it, be stable, legal, etc etc). PayPal hides all that and presents themselves as the "merchant" to Visa/MC/Discover... which is against the rules....

Ahh well.

Just be careful with PayPal and your account info...

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

4 chan loves to brute force paypal, all those cc and bank account numbers stored for convenience, nothings hack proof people, and the bigger the target the more they try, just look how many wow accounts they hack daily off blizzard.

• maxebornmaxeborn Member Posts: 148

Paypal banns wikileaks i cancel paypal no more perpetuum for me. no big loss anyway crappy eve rip off

• GigglebottleGigglebottle Member Posts: 40

I disagree with you. Small indy companies sometimes are fun than mainstraim AAA titles do. Sure they may not have 1 billion subscriptions, but they don't have half a billion kidies running around either making the community unenjoyable. This is a sandbox game after all and I prefer my sandboxes to have mature players in them for the most part.

And as far as Paypal goes I am sure they have plans for credit cards they are a small company atm give them some time. However I do agree with you on the fact that they do need to accept credit cards in addition to paypal.

• BoyCBoyC Member UncommonPosts: 89

We just enabled Moneybookers payment, with more options on the way.

• vladwwvladww Member UncommonPosts: 417

Originally posted by maxeborn

Paypal banns wikileaks i cancel paypal no more perpetuum for me. no big loss anyway crappy eve rip off

Same boat here

No way i'm gonna stick with Paypal now since they ban Wikileaks.

Most of you don't give a damn but i do

Playing : Uncharted Waters Online

• stuxstux Member Posts: 462

I don't agree with this at ALL.

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

I have never seen so much rubbish in my life lol.

Paypal is a payment service provider or PSP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payment_service_provider

There are many payment service providers, the fact that you assume the company is trying to engage in fraudulent activities because you have heard the name of the PSP before is absolutely ridiculous.

They probably chose Paypal because there are paypal integration modules and a lot of support for almost every web language. A larger company with several websites might pick a different PSP but it does not mean they are financially unstable, for a lot of companies its a wise move that offers the consumer an extra level of protection. It is true that paypal has some of the highest fees of any PSP so this doesn't make it a wise decision.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

Game can be paid for by Moneybookers now. but they are similar to PayPal from what I see.