Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: What a Marvel MMO Needs to Be

2»

Comments

• xerxiesxerxies Member Posts: 27

Instead of choosing a faction, like every other MMO, how about making a system like Fable, where depending on your actions, you're either good or bad. It would work great with a Marvel MMO because of how their "universe" works. Marvel characters always have times when they are bad, why not the same for the user? Like a good/evil bar.

Visit the new DCUO fansite, the Gotham Library at GothamLibrary.com.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

For one I am pleased beyond imagination that what is now Champions Online never got the chance to be Marvel Online, especially after what I've seen from DCUO it wouldn't have been pretty at all.

I think Marvel does need a top notch story to introduce the game, as in many ways that is probably as equally appealing to comic fans as the characters themselves.  The thing with travel powers is a bit of a worry to because as you stated which is very true travel abilities aren't all that prevelant in Marvel comics (atleast not as much as in DC).

But the one area I see Marvel maybe being able to get a jump on DCUO and being able to add something that will make it stand out is maybe some gameplay elements dealing with alter ego's/secret identities.  It's about the last super hero staple that no one has seemed to touch on yet.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Originally posted by stanito

The rumor I heard about the Marvel MMO was the story was the multiverse was collapseing and all the players are marvel characters from another universe. Now when I say that it sounds fine. But I heard that you would choose a established Marvel character and just change name and appearance... thats what I heard about 4 months ago...

I have a feeling what you heard about was actually the recently unveiled X-Men: Destiny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atUe79-Eijs&feature=fvsr

It garnered  ton of attention evidently. They sorta popped it on everyone unexpectedly at one convention or another. And before anyone asks, no, nothing is known about it yet.

Oh wow finally looks like another decent X Men game coming up (loved the one on Sega Genesis too).

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

I've been looking at DCUO for a while and my personal thoughts are this:  decent graphics, lame "hero creation story", and corny animations.  Especially the animations for running and "wall crawling".  The first time I saw those I laughed myself silly and almost felt bad for whoever designed those animations.  Then I thought about it a little more and figured they deserved to be laughed at so I have no reason to feel bad for it.  That little hopping run gait is just pathetic, but I guess it fits for the cartoony aspect of this game.  Personally I prefer something a little more realistic looking.  In the end I doubt I will ever play this game, though I am a pretty big fan of comics myself, because it is just too 10 year olds cartoon-ish.  For anyone that does like it though, I wish you fun playing it.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by jaxsundane

For one I am pleased beyond imagination that what is now Champions Online never got the chance to be Marvel Online, especially after what I've seen from DCUO it wouldn't have been pretty at all.

I feel the same; after having seen CO, I believe that Mavel was not happy with cryptic's work and chose to pull out when Mirosoft did. Considering the Cryptic 2.0 engine (used in CO and STO) was originally developed for the Marvel MMO, I think i would far rather see the game not come out than have yet another IP butchered.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• TerminatusTerminatus Member Posts: 104
    i can't blame either Marvel or Microshaft for failing to be impressed by Craptic's uber MMO building skeeelz.

On other hand, i blame myself for getting an Lifetimer's sub at launch just because i thought an IP like Star Trek would be well handled... oh well
  • SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

I'm also with the people saying it's for the better than Marvel universe Online changed to CO. Maybe we will see a true Marvel MMO one day who knows? Not sure actually, but I remember reading somewhere that they are working on it (after CO released), would be few years before we see it though. Untril then, it's DCUO for meimage

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

What a Marvel MMO shouldn't be: full of Wolverine clones.

Seriously, I had to stop reading Marvel comics because I got tired of seeing him in every frickin comic on the shelf. I have nothing against him personally, I just think he's over-exposed.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• RaikoLivesRaikoLives Member Posts: 89

He couldn't be any MORE over exposed if he was naked in the Arctic.

A Marvel MMO shouldn't HAVE "sides" or factions. Your "allegience" should be determined by your most recent actions, while your past should never be truly forgotten. Means a high level "bad" character (say Magneto) would take more "good" deeds to be seen as "good" than someone lower level such as Whiplash (Iron Man 2?), or more "neutral" like the above mentioned Deadpool. Short term alliances helping NPCs in their missions and HUGE amount of levels so the truly epic/omega levels can feel truly powerful compared to the more regular level characters. 50 or 60 levels isn't enough. I want 150, though I know that the main problem with most modern MMOs is the lack of content, so spreading it across 150 levels might be a bit much. Surely, though, they have a tonne of writers on staff, right? Get em all to write some arcs.

Anyway, the way to get around travel powers would be to give everyone a vehicle they can get into and out of. A "mount", until they get up in levels enough to outpace it. Blackbird (X-Men), Quinjet (Avengers), Fantasticar (Fantastic Four). Some power sets could have a travel power built in, like Human Torch, Nightcrawler or Silver Surfer have, while others would require a motorbike, like Wolverine. Each character, at level 20 say, can build build their own travel vehicle/mount using predetermined items like the character costume designer, as well as utilising pieces they've unlocked so far. Some cosmetic some practical. They can come back at any time for a small fee and upgrade it with new pieces they have unlocked. Same goes for costumes. It's about individualising everyone. I know it makes it a little bit harder to develop, but it would make for a better game.

• HypeHype Member CommonPosts: 270

Sorry to rez this, but I've been looking into the new Marvel MMO and I have to say, that this sliding scale of morality that some desire is not based on the comics.

When you look at characters like Hulk, like Punisher, like Deadpool, they are not characters who are viewed as good or bad based on their most recent actions. They began as, and remain characters who are viewed as bad and do good things with deadly force. No sliding, no 'do enough good things and be a good guy' they *are* good guys.

When you look at flip floppers, and I'd love it if anyone had an example *other* than Magneto. He becomes good when and only when he completes some major accomplishment for the good guys and renounces all evil. If good Magneto were to hijack a bus, he'd be kicked off the X-Men and labelled a bad guy immediately.

And then of course you have characters like Spider-Man who are viewed as bad but do good things, and no matter how many good things they do, are sitll viewed as bad.

This is the Marvel Universe, as it has always been. This idea of a Fable-like system kinda turns everything into chaos, you don't know who your friends are, you don't know where people stand, and everyone plays a psychopath (not exaggeration, actual definition) who flip flops from child saver to child killer at any given monent. That's not the Marvel Universe, that's not based on the Marvel Universe, and I hate it when people take the few moral outliers in Marvel and try to make a case for a sliding system of schizophrenic morality. Develpers: People ask for it because they want it, and if they want it that bad, give it to them, but don't lie and say 'This is how Marvel is' because its not. It's just what some players want and will take any excuse to have.

I do agree a third 'faction' though it can't really be called that because all heroes/villains/etc are not allied - I agree a third mercenary faction is needed for characters like Punisher, Deadpool and Hulk who play both sides. I agree changing 'alignment' should be possible, and like the idea of a big quest, something that can't be done regularly. I would like that quest to function as a temporary change though, to underline the fact that no matter what Spider-Man, Punisher or Magneto do, they will always be, at their core, a good guy, a mercenary, and a bad guy, respectively.

I also disagree with blurring the makeup of the unvierse, which is distinct from DC because it is less 'super,' less flights, less tights. To give everyone travel powers kinda kills it. It'd be much better to take the time to create mounts, and calling a taxi and riding with friends is pretty cool for low levels, imho.

All in all, great article, just had to add my thoughts. Better late than never, I hope.

The Illusion of Choice