Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: November Update Goes Live

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Turbine and the Lord of the Rings Online developers have announced that the November update is now live. Among other things, free players can now play the game all the way through Mirkwood on their way to level 65. There is also a new Yuletide celebration on hand that will go live in early December.

• More Free Content! Players can now play the epic story in Moria, Lothlórien and Mirkwood all the way to level 65

• Improved Skills & Traits for the Lore-master & Rune-keeper

• Updated Elf & Dwarf starter regions

• Updates to the Crafting System and Vault UI

• A completely new Yule Festival set in Winter-home that will go live in December

Read more here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Awesome! And today is just the start of all the interesting changes and content coming to Lotro from now until fall of 2011. It's going to be a busy year it looks like.

• scottnsscottns Member UncommonPosts: 231

I was thinking of making a new toon too. Seems like a good time to start.

• r0hitr0hit Member Posts: 64

Niceeeeee

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

It looks to be very good. 

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

They sure waited 'til the last minute, eh? Still, good job Turbine.

• BLZBUBBLZBUB Member UncommonPosts: 7

Awesome! I'll be taking my dwarf to Moria.

Commodore BLZBUB,
    Command Division XO,
    Lotus Fleet.
    http://lotusfleet.org/index.php

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Me and my hun just started LOTRO together, I previously played and wowzer. Still as fun as ever. I was a bit worried about the f2p scheme but it didnt slow us down a bit. Albeit were both subbed now. Mite as well pay for a game we like :D

• lorddeath101lorddeath101 Member UncommonPosts: 315
    i feel turbine scam us because i brought lone land when it was 500 tp
  • PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

Originally posted by jakoblin

i feel turbine scam us because i brought lone land when it was 500 tp

If it makes you feel any better, I had just purchased Moria (for a lot more than 500 TP) a few days before the announcement myself. There are always going to be people like us in these evloving F2P games, who buy something right before the game changes and they give that same content away.

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

Originally posted by Unreal024

Originally posted by PhelimReagh

If it makes you feel any better, I had just purchased Moria (for a lot more than 500 TP) a few days before the announcement myself. There are always going to be people like us in these evloving F2P games, who buy something right before the game changes and they give that same content away.

F2Pers only got access to lvl 65, all of the epic storylines and the legendary item system, no quests, instances or deeds within Moria or Mirkwood. So, they really havn't just given away what you bought.

I do feel for jakoblin though, that sucks. LL is the only quest pack i've bought, but I was lucky enough to grab it for only 50 TP, no real big loss for me. Though, it is 50 TP that I wish I could have back now.

Ah, I feel less worse now. Turbine has a clever way of wording things to make it seem like they're giving folks a lot more than they are.

Well, time to log in and check out that new crafting panel then.

EDIT: I too feel bad that he paid so much for just the Lone Lands pack. You've got to game that Turbine Store and only buy stuff on sale. That goes for both points and store items, because everything goes on sale eventually.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

More content?  That content already existed.  You get free access to the zone you stil have to buy the quest pack.  Rofl more content

• UndeadKingUndeadKing Member Posts: 17

They now get access to the epic quests in moria, mirk and enedwaith which they didnt before.

• UW1975UW1975 Member Posts: 183

Originally posted by erictlewis

More content?  That content already existed.  You get free access to the zone you stil have to buy the quest pack.  Rofl more content

Not wanting to break your daily moment of self-glorification, but it is written new FREE content,

And yes you need to buy the quest pack. Otherwise, why people would still subscribe then?

This patch has some interesting tweaks, Now we need new endgaming stuff ;)

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Apparently, you skimmed over the part about the new winter festival in a NEW area.  Reading comprehension just wasn't your thing in school, eh?

• SIMPLEMAN619SIMPLEMAN619 Member Posts: 1

DONT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY (unless you're rich..). I'm quitting lotro today, and this is why:

I was told originally that lotro had standards for game-play... that when the game first started out, it took 5 gold and level 35 just to buy a horse... then they started f2p, with optional content expansion packs from turbine points that you purchase in bundles (my route), AS WELL AS exp buffs for real money... Then came the ability to buy gold with real money... then,  just yesterday, a new interface with even more optional "turbine point" purchases emerged, such as ingredient packs for crafting. what this boiles down to is ONE CAN ALMOST BUY A PRE-LOADED TOON NOW, if you're willing to dish out a few $50s.. This is an UNFAIR ADVANTAGE to those with the $$$. I say STEAR CLEAR OF LOTRO, and invest in a game with a sence of fareness.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by SIMPLEMAN619
    DONT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY (unless you're rich..)

I suppose if you're some mouth breather living in your mother's basement 15 a month would strike you as rich.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

DONT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY (unless you're rich..). I'm quitting lotro today, and this is why:

I was told originally that lotro had standards for game-play... that when the game first started out, it took 5 gold and level 35 just to buy a horse... then they started f2p, with optional content expansion packs from turbine points that you purchase in bundles (my route), AS WELL AS exp buffs for real money... Then came the ability to buy gold with real money... then,  just yesterday, a new interface with even more optional "turbine point" purchases emerged, such as ingredient packs for crafting. what this boiles down to is ONE CAN ALMOST BUY A PRE-LOADED TOON NOW, if you're willing to dish out a few $50s.. This is an UNFAIR ADVANTAGE to those with the $$$. I say STEAR CLEAR OF LOTRO, and invest in a game with a sence of fareness.

I was really shocked and dissapointed at this too tho. This game is becoming more and more Pay 2 Win (like the standard crap Asian F2P games already out there) with each and every update.

It already started when they added those Morale / Power pots to the store. Which lots of people said no big deal. Just a one time thing.

Well.... just with all the stat tomes right? No big deal as they drop in the game.  Only forgetting that the droprate is so ridiculously low, that you have a bigger chance winning the lottery than finding those tomes.

And now you can just max out crafting solely via the store with the latest update. LMAO.  Can't get any more stupid and more money grabbing than this.

I guess people will now finally start discovering the true colors of the "Free 2 Play" concept.

And how Warner Bros. is using Turbine as yet another Corporate cash cow to enrich their empire.

As this is what you get, when Game Studios are being bought up by these huge Emperium Corporations, that know "jack" about games and only care about increasing their capital as much as possible, with as little effort as possible.

• tuomiopaivatuomiopaiva Member UncommonPosts: 55

I almost started playing again. I've had account for some years and been on break waiting for f2p. When f2p launched in europe I tried buying some tp's but couldn't get it to work. Click and buy wants me to confirm my card before they activate it. I've tried emailing their and codemasters support without getting any sort of answer back. I'm not going to make any foreign calls without knowing how long I have to spend queueing and how much it will cost in the end. Perhaps they will answer me one sunny day but lotro is already uninstalled... Its time for WAR!

Firstoff, you cannot buy gold in Lotro, if you do buy it, it's bannable, period.

Secondly, prices change all the time in any business jakoblin, just a fact of life whether it has to do with gaming or not. It's not a scam

There will always be flamers no matter how good any mmo does but Turbine's numbers speak for themselves so flame on. 

Hey Tuomi, Codemasters and the euro servers don't use TP, so ya might want to read before buying next time, they use CP. Also, why would you call Codemasters who run the euro servers if you arent in europe anymore? It sounds like you are the only one making it complicated for yourself.

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

It said "more free content". When you invent things to complain about, it really doesn't make you look cool.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

The only bungle I noticed was that they didn't put out any display mounts for the new reputation mounts.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• tuomiopaivatuomiopaiva Member UncommonPosts: 55

Czanrei: Oops sorry CP, not TP. My mistake, one wrong T there. Truth is I never even got that far that I actually could buy any points whatsoever. I received email that my card needs validation, please reply and we'll take care of it. I did but never received any answer. I've emailed them and codemasters and so far no answer. Is that still too complicated for you? If you still don't get it I'll make it short for you: "Bad customer service, don't go there".

Originally posted by tuomiopaiva

Czanrei: Oops sorry CP, not TP. My mistake, one wrong T there. Truth is I never even got that far that I actually could buy any points whatsoever. I received email that my card needs validation, please reply and we'll take care of it. I did but never received any answer. I've emailed them and codemasters and so far no answer. Is that still too complicated for you? If you still don't get it I'll make it short for you: "Bad customer service, don't go there".

The point is is that you are basing your view of Lotro off of Codemaster's bad customer service. if you bothered to do any checking, you would know that Turbine and Codemasters bang heads over and over because they are separate companies with different objectives. Of course you are having problems with Codemasters, so are a lot of people, but on the same note that is not Turbine's fault because Turbine is a NA company and has no jurisdiction over Codemasters which is euro.

*By the way, the C instead of the T is not like missing an apostrophe. It is an entirely different currency system going to two different companies. That is like trying say "woops, I gave a NA dollar to an Italian store, and I have no idea why they wouldn't take it."

Bootom line is, it sounds like you are just another uninformed gamer who ran into problems because you didn't bother to put any effort into something you didn't care about in the first place but yet you wonder why it didn't work.

• Jellyf1shJellyf1sh Member Posts: 40

Originally posted by JeroKane

I was really shocked and dissapointed at this too tho. This game is becoming more and more Pay 2 Win (like the standard crap Asian F2P games already out there) with each and every update.

It already started when they added those Morale / Power pots to the store. Which lots of people said no big deal. Just a one time thing.

Well.... just with all the stat tomes right? No big deal as they drop in the game.  Only forgetting that the droprate is so ridiculously low, that you have a bigger chance winning the lottery than finding those tomes.

And now you can just max out crafting solely via the store with the latest update. LMAO.  Can't get any more stupid and more money grabbing than this.

I guess people will now finally start discovering the true colors of the "Free 2 Play" concept.

And how Warner Bros. is using Turbine as yet another Corporate cash cow to enrich their empire.

As this is what you get, when Game Studios are being bought up by these huge Emperium Corporations, that know "jack" about games and only care about increasing their capital as much as possible, with as little effort as possible.

I don't get this Pay 2 Win nonsense. Pay 2 win against who? Those people that ganked you all the time?, no, wait - there's no open world PVP (outside of one zone). Forgive me if i'm wrong, but isn't it the environment that's supposed to be getting annoyed (and shafted), after all it's a PVE game. So what's left? am i supposed to be jealous of the toon with a nicer looking cloak than mine?

Maybe it's all about the effort us vets have put in leveling? I remember when i was a lad, i had to get up at the crack of dawn and go off to kill 240 worms in Forochel in order to gain some deed or other, and NOW this young pups come along with their "Turbine Points" and do it in half the time - It's an OUTRAGE i tells ya!

As for Lotro being a cash cow - I bloody well hope so. Surely that was the point of developing the game in the first place. That's why Turbine isn't a registered charity ("Help the Hobbits" or something). Personally I hope Turbine, Warner, Codemasters and everyone else involved in this game make a whole heap of cash. They can skim a fat slice off the top for themselves and plow the rest into developing new content. What do i care? I'm a lifetime subber, i've already taken that leap of faith, and put my money where my mouth is. I also get FREE Turbine Points to buy that nice looking cloak too!

My advice to anyone who doesn't like where this "cash cow" is heading and is thinking of quitting - Maybe you're right, and it is time you found a new pasture to graze in.

Even though i do love this game, do i love every single change that Turbine has made? No. But i'll never lose sight of the fact that it's their game. They have the right to do what ever they like to it. I have faith that they will make more right choices than wrong ones, but if that faith is misplaced, I have the right to walk away.