Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO do you think had the best "night time"?

Comments

• charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381

Actully no mmo for night beats wurm online that game gets dark thats it you cant go anywhere if you got no torch,

Also when the fog is in you cant see 1 feet in front of you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB5IUv4DGJU&feature=related

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

Darkfalls night time system was the best, it became pitch black and you couldnt really see 3 feet in front of you unless you had a light source or you changed your brightness settings, combine that with a free for all pvp world where the creatures in the environment kill you just as easy as players and it becomes pretty damn fun.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• ExploriumExplorium Member Posts: 395

I think WoW has the best nights. It gets dark, but not so dark you can't see anything and the game becomes unplayable. Plus, its based on real time, not some lame "lol its been 30 minutes of day, night time now! lol.. lol 15 minutes of night, its day time now!l"

instead WoW goes a 24 hour cycle of day/night. A lot more realistic.

Check out my nature/animal/relaxing music channel on Youtube!

My game channel on Youtube!
    http://www.youtube.com/vendayn

• mmaizemmaize Member Posts: 274

From a graphics standpoint  in my opinion holds a candle to Asheron's Call (Considering where graphics were at the time) and i've played pretty much every game out there.  I would find myself just staring up at the sky sometimes for no other reason than just to do it.  Those moons were just incredible but it also truly felt dark and like night as opposed to many games I play now.

• mesmerisemesmerise Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by cybertrucker

EQ1 all the way. I sure hope devs from upcoming games like Rift or GW2 might take notice of this thread... It was great to have the immersion different mobs would spawn during night cycles in EQ1, alongside it making it harder to seee.. As other have mentioned there was a reason you didnt want to go into the cursed Kithicor forest at night. The undead that would prowl at night would eat you alive.

While I have cited EQ as my favorite as well, I do not think that I would like to see it in GW2 (I think that it would work much better with Rift though).  One thing that EQ had was a lot of different races and night vision or lack of it was one game mechanic to differentiate, between the myriad of options.  Compared to EQ, GW2 and Rift are relatively racially impoverished, that is there is not as many options available.  I think that there are enough other ways to differentiate the races without having to get into night sight.  Unless a torch could serve some other purpose it will affect the weapon builds for all classes for GW2. Some other light source such as a charm may work though, if the equipment slot already exists in the game.

I must admit that it would be great in the story mode of dungeons if the NPC held a torch in order to light the way into some dark cavern. It would help with atmosphere a lot in my opinion.

M

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I have to agree with the other poster AOC was imo the best nightime game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

Eh... I think I would settle for games just having one area that really made you scared to enter during night time. All games could use a zone like that, one that really makes a group go "We really need to go back, it's getting late".

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

I have to add my name to the EQ1 list. There is just something about the thrill of blindess and true penalty of failure that just isnt found in todays MMOs.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Lineage (at least around launch). Night was dark and nasty monsters came out and hunt players, even in what was noob zones during the day.

Lineage by far best point, and the only game I ever used night vision in (elves had it).

I really miss those dark and stormy nights....

• MobfigureMobfigure Member Posts: 44

I've gotta say Asheron's Call. That game had so much beauty hidden within itself. Night times were def my favorite.. from the skies, to the towns illuminating with torches. Makes me want to play it again thinking about it.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Reizlanzer

Eh... I think I would settle for games just having one area that really made you scared to enter during night time. All games could use a zone like that, one that really makes a group go "We really need to go back, it's getting late".

Good point, even if one place isn't enough for my taste.

Avoid graves and areas with beast that hunts during the night after the sun has set, it do make the game more interesting.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Everquest hands down.  Still to this day, when it's night time it gets dark around you.  When it rains, you want to beg a druid to stop the rain because it does affect your vision.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• XhieronXhieron Member UncommonPosts: 132

Man this thread makes me miss EQ.

Yes, you'll be KOS everywhere but Neriak, but the dark elves can see in the dark!  And getting lost as hell in that city when I first started playing...

Anyway, yes, EQ1 is the supreme champion for this question.  Get a torch.  Better yet, get a Greater Lightstone or a frickin' Fiery Avenger.  I remember stumbling around Toxxulia at night--bad idea; wait for morning.  And Kith; ha, sure, if you don't know any better.

Good times.

Peace and safety.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

I think that Agon has the most beautiful nights because of how realistic and immersive the world feels (Darkfall's world) but Telon (Vanguard) was cool because different mobs would come out at night and many quests could only be done during the night (or day). What is really cool about Darkfall nights is that there are no floating color floaties or floating names or anything unnatural looking that reminds the player that they are playing a game. Only mentioning the most recent games. The best night-time I ever felt was probably Daggerfall back in the DOS days lol since the ghost would come out at night and scare me. EQ and MO had very realistic feeling nights but hindered gameplay in annoying ways where I felt like just logging off . ..

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

Nights in FFXI were pretty interesting. The ghosts and goblins always came out at night. Banshees, and skeletons, and other undead creatures of the night.

I remember being so scared whenever someone reported a banshee in the area. Those things were pure evil.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

I am not an old fart, so I cannot really choose an MMO with the best night time experience. However, for me personally, I remember The Old Forest in LotRO at night, back when there was no map and the trees could kill you, a low level player, fairly easily. Navigation was confusing, like a maze; the music was haunting, the sound effects were creepy, and you knew death lingered around every corner.

I only went into that accursed place during the day. The Barrow-downs, which are connected to The Old Forest, had the same atmosphere, and I avoided them as well.

• DestructhorDestructhor Member Posts: 88

Entropia

/thread

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

EQ1 - Best night time

FFXIV - incredible transitions, dusk and dawns.

• XhieronXhieron Member UncommonPosts: 132

Someone mentioned FFXI, which I hadn't even considered.  EQ still takes the cake hands down, but FFXI would be second place for me.  Night on Qufim was one of the most intense parts of the leveling experience.  When the clock gets close, it's time to go to the tunnel or the tower (unless you're at the top end of the level spread for the zone).  I'll never forget the sound those bogies made when aggroing.

Peace and safety.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

SWG had had the darkest night, pre-cu. Back in the day all you could see was whatever was lit up in your personal light area, a lot of times you had to navigate by the radar to avoid agro out in the wilds. On really dark nights on Dathomir you could barely make out the Nightsisters and their silhouettes shrouded by fog, only against the outline of the moon since it cast no real light.

People complained about how dark it got I guess so over the years they have made the planets way lighter, which really killed it for a lot of people who liked the dark.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Back in the early days of DAOC night time was really cool, and really dark.  Now a days they seemed to have cranked up the brightness, but in the beginning you actually needed your torch to see well and wearing all black armor was a great way to hide in the forests to surprise your oppoenent.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Pcgamer81Pcgamer81 Member Posts: 186

one game maybe not best night time mmo but i have to mention matrix online during halloween event. yeah its shut down but should be mentioned. that was dark lol

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248

EQ, Kithacor Forest. Undead spawn at night time was awesome. Wish they would implement that more into mmos...

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I would like to give credit to those who are actually posting about night times which are artistically beautiful.

Leave it to mmorpg.com to deduce that the best night times are only when you can't see two feet in front of you, so that the game is more challenging and immersive.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by Xhieron

Someone mentioned FFXI, which I hadn't even considered.  EQ still takes the cake hands down, but FFXI would be second place for me.  Night on Qufim was one of the most intense parts of the leveling experience.  When the clock gets close, it's time to go to the tunnel or the tower (unless you're at the top end of the level spread for the zone).  I'll never forget the sound those bogies made when aggroing.

Ah yes i am a FFXI fan and i forgot about the Banshee nights.They really added that scare factor to the night and their scream yes was eerie.

I remember i had to wait until night to kill one for my first ever sub job quest,i did it on the Mhaura side instead of the usual Dunes.

Yes the Quifim bogeys were darn scary any kind of low hit pooints meant aggro from them as they smell blood.It was always a factor,come 18:00 on the clock better get worried and start to head for cover,not only the bogeys come out but the Undead Skeletons as well.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.