Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Macbook Pro

SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

I have a Macbook pro I installed the game on my desktop and play it I wanted to know if I can install it on my Macbook pro and play

Spec

2.4Ghz Dual Core

4gig ram

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT-256+NVIDIA GeForce 9400M-256

will this run it at playable speeds?

Comments

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

Does XIV even run on a Mac?

Anyways, if it works, you probably wouldn't be able to run it at the highest settings.

I can't even run it on the highest settings, and I have a top of the line PC.

• wizyear2099wizyear2099 Member UncommonPosts: 310

Originally posted by Serenes

I have a Macbook pro I installed the game on my desktop and play it I wanted to know if I can install it on my Macbook pro and play

Spec

2.4Ghz Dual Core

4gig ram

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT-256+NVIDIA GeForce 9400M-256

will this run it at playable speeds?

thats bare minimum, but if it cant run on a mac then thats diff story. but yruo speccs are bare in the PC world as in speed. it will be so choppy an not worth it. you should get a laptop from here an ditch the mac:

www.xoticpc.com get a SLi dual cards ;) 480x2

• Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581

Im sure hes talking about dual booting windows on his mac, in that case you could play the game until an official mac version is released. Processors are a tad bit weak but honestly FFXIV is one of the few games that are more GPU intensive than CPU for whatever reason. Id consider and upgrade on the GFX card because thats the very end of the line performance-wise and i think that barely meets the minimum requirements. I however never owned any mac products so im not sure if your gfx card is interchangeable or not.

If not id wait til you can get a beefy desktop or get your hands on a PS3 if you dont own one already and wait til march for the PS3 (and more polished FFXIV overall as it should of been a launch) version. Mac from what i understand as always been a artsy fartsy media computer and wasnt ever really a good or even mid range gaming machine (outside the amazing processors ive seen mac computers have) that falls short in todays gfx card demands.

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

I don't want to play at max settings lol I just want to play.

I have windows on my Mac lol.

Can I play it on Low settings at decent FPS and those cards Sli together on the windows side. So i have 2 decent graphics cards right?

Im sure hes talking about dual booting windows on his mac, in that case you could play the game until an official mac version is released. Processors are a tad bit weak but honestly FFXIV is one of the few games that are more GPU intensive than CPU for whatever reason. Id consider and upgrade on the GFX card because thats the very end of the line performance-wise and i think that barely meets the minimum requirements. I however never owned any mac products so im not sure if your gfx card is interchangeable or not.

If not id wait til you can get a beefy desktop or get your hands on a PS3 if you dont own one already and wait til march for the PS3 (and more polished FFXIV overall as it should of been a launch) version. Mac from what i understand as always been a artsy fartsy media computer and wasnt ever really a good or even mid range gaming machine (outside the amazing processors ive seen mac computers have) that falls short in todays gfx card demands.

Oh poop, you have 2 Nvidia cards so I cant really tell you tbh since i havent had a nvidia for over 2 years. You may play the game just fine with an sli setup since the game is pro nvidia and racist to any ATI CF/Single Card Setups.

Stumbled upon this :

Graphics Card

Nvidia GeForce 9600 or higher with 512 MB VRAM or more

ATI Radeon HD 2900 or higher with 512 MB VRAM or more

Not sure as far as optimization is concerned but with some tweaks you should play fine with the Nvidia 9600. The other card you mentioned is a motherboard card, how can you sli them? Im confused (never had a Nvidia Laptop).

• wizyear2099wizyear2099 Member UncommonPosts: 310

give it a try. but keep in mind u are running bare, decent would be the recommended setup below.

PC Minimum Requirements

The official requirements for the Final Fantasy XVI game have been set by SquareEnix. Systems meeting the minimum requirements are expected to be able to run the game at low resolution on low settings. Exact game performance may vary. 

Operating System

Windows XP SP3 1, Windows Vista 32bit SP2 / 64bit 2 SP2, or Windows 7 32bit / 64bit 2

CPU

Intel Core 2 Duo (2.0Ghz) or higher, or AMD Athlon X2 (2.0Ghz) or higher

RAM

Windows XP: 1.5GB or more, or Windows Vista/7: 2GB or more

HDD/SDD Space

Installation: 15GB or more ; Download: Space on the hard drive where My Documents is located should be 6GB or more

Graphics Card

NVIDIA GeForce 9600 series or higher with VRAM 512MB or more, or ATI Radeon 2900 series or higher with VRAM 512MB or more

Sound Card

DirectSound compatible sound card (DirectX 9.0c or higher)

Internet Connection

Broadband internet connection or higher

Screen Resolution

1280 x 720 or higher; 32-bit

DirectX

DirectX 9.0c

Others

Mouse, Keyboard, and/or Gamepad

Recommended System Requirements

Final Fantasy XIV gameplay performance will be enhanced on systems meeting the recommended specifications. Systems exceeding these specifications will generally enjoy a superior game experience.

Operating System

Windows 7 32bit / 64bit 2

CPU

Intel Core i7 (2.66 GHz) or higher

RAM

4GB or more

HDD/SDD Space

Installation: 15GB or more ; Download: Space on the hard drive where My Documents is located should be 6GB or more

Graphics Card

NVIDIA GeForce GTX460 or better with VRAM 768MB or more

For ATI cards, anything above Radeon HD 5770 will perform well. Since, crossfired cards do not kick in when in windowed modes, the 5970 will not perform as well as the 5870 because it is two cards (5870) in one. For optimal ffxi performance, a Radeon HD 5870 would be sufficient. A vaporx version will run twice as cool, and with less noise, but is at least an extra $100.

Sound Card

DirectSound compatible sound card (DirectX 9.0c or higher)

Internet Connection

Broadband internet connection or higher

Screen Resolution

1280 x 720 or higher; 32-bit

DirectX

DirectX 9.0c

Others

Mouse, Keyboard, and Gamepad

Unless your against trying to play a MMO on a console i'd honestly suggest just getting the PS3 version. FFXI played very nicely on a PS2/X360 Controller with a plug and play keyboard. The current status of the game is a bit iffy, the Novermber patch fix was just the beggining of the bug/lag/and leveling rates fixes along with a huge ui overhaul that should of been looked at before launch. December is the part 2 patch along with a version update in january (nms, additional classes and lots of content added in) so id say the PS3 launch will have even more goodies. Honestly id sit and play something else in the mean time.

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

Runs at about 34-60 FPS at mid settings lol.