Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVP Facts and Fiction

BodysnatcherBodysnatcher Member Posts: 141

So we know there will be Warfronts. (battlegrounds)

We know there is 2 factions.

I think there will be PVP servers.

So any one with PVP info the KNOW please let me know.

If you have heard or read a rumoe please post it here. Just let me know it is a rumor.

This is not a RFIT is good or bad thread it is just to collect some info on PVP.

Thank you for your time.

Kings and Sons of God
Travel on their way from here
Calming restless mobs
Easing all of their, all of their fear
Strange times are here.

Comments

• theartisttheartist Member Posts: 553

I thought this whole time it was going to be a pve heavy game with some pvp side-games at best?

A pvp server with the right ruleset may make me interested again so I'm going to follow this and hope for the best.

• DepartedSoulDepartedSoul Member UncommonPosts: 99

RIFT was planned for PvP from the BEGINNING, and classes and abilities are balanced with PvP in mind. The game will feature both PvE- and PvP-ruleset servers. PvP will be possible on PvE servers, but it will be consensual.

PvP will take place in both battleground (called Warfronts) and the open world. Warfronts will be tiered by level, and feature maps such as capture the flag. The game will also feature city raids, and faction leaders are attackable and can be killed, but will not provide loot.

PvP will reward players in several ways. By doing PvP you can gain favor which in return will unlock the ability to purchase new things. Players will also gain prestige by doing PvP which will allow them to rank up, ranking up allows the player to purchase new gear and get new abilities for their PvP Souls

EDIT: Telarapedia.com has most of this info, as well as a lot of good interviews about pvp from the creators of the game.

When a man lies... he murders some part of the World.

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

as this is something i can actually comment on, 

there are pvp servers (or will be, was said in a podcast)

warfronts will be ther (with a presumable rep grind)

and i THINK they gave strong hints at possible pvp souls (lost the info to that thoguh so cant double check)

Oh, well cool.

Never seen it talked about in the basic interviews I've read, but that's all good info.

Are they trying to do a 'controlled open' pvp system like AOC? Or going truly open like Shadowbane or UO(probably not)?

faction vs faction

edit: didnt hear anything about ffa so dont count on it

• AlexTheTallAlexTheTall Member Posts: 174

I would like to know if the PvP server set of rules, is FFA PvP, or there's only PvP in contested zones?

dont think thats been announced yet, so we just gotta wait that bit of info out (even though i will just stick to my pve server for nice and pure carebearing)

On the pvp servers, it is 2 Faction based pvp, and cities/ outposts will be safe zones, if only when you are near the guards. Similar to AoC.

On PvE servers you can have open world pvp when you "flag up" for pvp, and both server sets have warfronts. As far as it being like UO, doesnt look like it so far.

EDIT: It has also been said that you can open rifts to your advantage on the battlefield.   

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Hartsman said their would be pvp souls, pvp servers, rolelplay servers (not enforced, but encouraged supposedly).  Not sure on details, but I know he said these in a pod cast, and it was with certainty that he said them.

I am hoping for atleast DAoC type pvp areas on the pvp server...  I have a feeling pve servers will be all optional flagging, besides their type of scenarios.

The loot drops from pvp will be game loot rares, not loot from the players inventory supposedly, and it will be 'rare'.

• AlexTheTallAlexTheTall Member Posts: 174

Originally posted by DarkAsmodeus

On the pvp servers, it is 2 Faction based pvp, and cities/ outposts will be safe zones, if only when you are near the guards. Similar to AoC.

On PvE servers you can have open world pvp when you "flag up" for pvp, and both server sets have warfronts. As far as it being like UO, doesnt look like it so far.

EDIT: It has also been said that you can open rifts to your advantage on the battlefield.   

Thanks, I am still trying to think what kind of RP server I will go in... I never been a big PvPer, but it would be weird to not be able to attack the other faction...

Originally posted by Alyvian

faction vs faction

edit: didnt hear anything about ffa so dont count on it

Nice. Thanks for the info.

I think I'll pay a little more attention to the title then. I never really cared for the lore and the setting as it was introduced, but the more I read about it the more it grew on me.

And even faction based pvp on the right scale sounds appealing to me. (Best I can hope for now a days I suppose.)

It will be 2 faction pvp, yes, but... You will be able to open rifts that may possibly turn the outcome of large scale battles to your own advantage. It has potential, and while not really a 3rd faction, it's probably one of the cooler additions to 2 faction pvp that i have seen.

You can open rifts that could possibly take over key outposts of your enemies, cutting off some of their access to trainers and tradeposts/ merchants. Pretty cool concept to jump someone when they are trying to reclaim their cities from NPC's.  >=) 

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

On one hand I think more games should do this, so everyone can enjoy it their own way.

On the other hand, when this topic of discussion came up with Aion, people were quick to get irked because the PvE'ers outnumbered the PvP'ers (and some majorly big, hardcore pvp guilds were amped for Aion at that time) and people feared the PvP servers would be ghost towns because of it.

At least with Aion the PvP was more established as a factor of the game. I think most people, including myself, assumed RIFT to be heavily PvE, so it seems even less likely that PvP servers would be populated long-term with enough meat to appease the hardcore.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• BodysnatcherBodysnatcher Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

On one hand I think more games should do this, so everyone can enjoy it their own way.

On the other hand, when this topic of discussion came up with Aion, people were quick to get irked because the PvE'ers outnumbered the PvP'ers (and some majorly big, hardcore pvp guilds were amped for Aion at that time) and people feared the PvP servers would be ghost towns because of it.

At least with Aion the PvP was more established as a factor of the game. I think most people, including myself, assumed RIFT to be heavily PvE, so it seems even less likely that PvP servers would be populated long-term with enough meat to appease the hardcore.

I think the PVP servers will be fine. Many games have PVP servers that are well populated. Aion did not have a structure to their servers.

Thank you for all the info everyone.  PVP is an important part of any MMO I play. I am really happy about the way this game is going so far.

That and the fact this is a fairly new company with some experianced personel makes me hopeful they wont fall into trhe same traps as others.

Now if I can only get into a BETA.

Kings and Sons of God
    Calming restless mobs
    Strange times are here.

Originally posted by Bodysnatcher

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

I think the PVP servers will be fine. Many games have PVP servers that are well populated. Aion did not have a structure to their servers.

Thank you for all the info everyone.  PVP is an important part of any MMO I play. I am really happy about the way this game is going so far.

That and the fact this is a fairly new company with some experianced personel makes me hopeful they wont fall into trhe same traps as others.

Now if I can only get into a BETA.

I'm with you there. I enjoy PvE games just fine, but I'd rather be pvping in anything multiplayer.

From everything I saw I did think this was a more pve game, but faction pvp on the proper scale and not just a minigame is a very easy sell to me.

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601

I will definitely be on the PvP servers. I can't wait!! Hope the world PvP is very active despite having battlegrounds and junk.

It will definitely be active, considering you can severly hinder the other factions by allowing Rifts to take over their settlements. That alone is reason enough to go to war >=)

• AzzkickaAzzkicka Member Posts: 157

Originally posted by DarkAsmodeus

This hasn't been confirmed.  We dont know if there will be any safe zones on PVP servers.

• NadiliNadili Member Posts: 197

I really hope they announce more PVP info soon the rumor mills are flying and misinformation has been flying around.  I am mostly a PVE'er but I have been more interested in getting into PVP for Rift RvR would appeal to me.  Mostly I just don't want to see all the PVP players get hyped for some big let down, if PVP isn't what they are looking for the sooner the better hard feeling around what expectations are, and what the game actually has to offer would be very bad right at launch time imo.  I have been impressed with how the releases have been solid information so far but it's getting too close now for a big letdown.

I would really like to see PVP soul info as well.

• BodysnatcherBodysnatcher Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by Nadili

I really hope they announce more PVP info soon the rumor mills are flying and misinformation has been flying around.  I am mostly a PVE'er but I have been more interested in getting into PVP for Rift RvR would appeal to me.  Mostly I just don't want to see all the PVP players get hyped for some big let down, if PVP isn't what they are looking for the sooner the better hard feeling around what expectations are, and what the game actually has to offer would be very bad right at launch time imo.  I have been impressed with how the releases have been solid information so far but it's getting too close now for a big letdown.

I would really like to see PVP soul info as well.

I agree. They really need to come out with more hard facts. I am assumeing they will soon due to the BETAs comming up.

They have a distinct lack of info on PVP on their own site.

Having said that I am glad so many posted about what they read on other sites and heard in podcasts.

Kings and Sons of God
    Calming restless mobs
    Strange times are here.