Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just quit wow and have no idea

boodasboodas Member Posts: 3

I'm looking for a new game similar to wow for me and 3 others that quit. Since the patches Blizzard controls most aspects of the game including your talent tree, right down to your pets doing the same damage. Players make very few choices now. So we are looking for a game that is not so controlled. They even took the portals out of Dal. and Shat. to forces players back to the old world.

Comments

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Similar to WoW in what ways?  What do you mainly want to do? Because, if you want a WoW clone there is no better clone than WoW :P.

• unbound55unbound55 Member UncommonPosts: 325

You should give LoTRO a try.  It's F2P, so you can play around for the first 20 levels and get a feel for the lore and abilities.  That is the MMO closest to WoW that I've found so far.

• LeagolxLeagolx Member Posts: 222

Originally posted by Robokapp

Take a month or two off, then go back to WoW.

You'll end up back in WoW anyway,you might as well make peace with it. There's nothing "like WoW but better" out there. the clsoest to that is WoW.

Dont go back I was in a similar boat recently the new patches for wow have really ruined the game imo. The game is far to easy and theres no reason to explore the game world anymore because of the dungeon group finder. Im currently playing ryzom and im really enjoying it. Its not for everyone but the community is nice and it defiently doesnt hold your hand somethign to look at if your looking for a slight change. Ryzom does however bring a lot of unique features to the mmo genre which i do enjoy. Another game to look at would be allods its very similar to wow but I hear good things about the end game but a recent patch has left a lot of players upset. Runes of magic is another game that is very similar to wow but i wouldnt recommend it i hear its a money pit like most f2p mmos but they have to make their money somewhere. I would recommend trying some free trials for games especially ryzom just because a game that you dont think you may like you very well could like. My biggest peice advice I have when looking for a game is try your best not to look for a cookie cutter of another game you played because wow is always going to be the best at being wow and so on so just look for the features you like and maybe some you find interesting. Hope this helped :)

If your going to ban the trolls please for our sake ban the Fan Boys too.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

There is quite a few MMO's out there.  A lot of them have trials and some have extended trials (LotRO), so just try out a few yourself.   I moved on from WoW and am the happier for it.  There may be a game out there that's better suited for you and you'll never look back.  I have no desire to ever go back to WoW.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Originally posted by unbound55

You should give LoTRO a try.  It's F2P, so you can play around for the first 20 levels and get a feel for the lore and abilities.  That is the MMO closest to WoW that I've found so far.

I'm not sure about this. LotRO is a fantastic game, but it's not very similar to WoW except in superficial ways.

<3

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by boodas

I'm looking for a new game similar to wow for me and 3 others that quit. Since the patches Blizzard controls most aspects of the game including your talent tree, right down to your pets doing the same damage. Players make very few choices now. So we are looking for a game that is not so controlled. They even took the portals out of Dal. and Shat. to forces players back to the old world.

I'm looking for a new drug similar to nicotine for me and 3 others that quit. Since the patches Blizzard controls most aspects of the drug including how you can use it, right down to your body taking the same damage. Addicts make very few choices now. So we are looking for a drug that is not so controlled. They even took the trips out of pot and LSD to forces addicts back to the old drug.

see what i did there?  Honestly I don't think the game is all that good, but it is addicting as hell.  You just need another fix.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

In all honesty, I'd take a look at Rift.  Though there are a bunch of other options out there, they are dated, floundering or didnt meet my Massively-Multiplayer breadth and depth pvevp game-play expectations.  http://www.riftgame.com/en/game/

It (Rift) very well could launch March/April 2011, and community/VIP beta begins December 3rd.  Hunt for a general beta invite key or VIP beta key give-away and check it out before getting settled in something else.  So launch might not be too far off.

No promises about its'game-play, though on paper its' planned to be dynamic, player-centric pvevp with quite a broad range of planned content and development to rival WoW, or anything else on the market today, I think.  It's at least worth a look-see as your window-shopping.

• Alchemist322Alchemist322 Member Posts: 51

Originally posted by grimm6th

I'm looking for a new drug similar to nicotine for me and 3 others that quit. Since the patches Blizzard controls most aspects of the drug including how you can use it, right down to your body taking the same damage. Addicts make very few choices now. So we are looking for a drug that is not so controlled. They even took the trips out of pot and LSD to forces addicts back to the old drug.

see what i did there?  Honestly I don't think the game is all that good, but it is addicting as hell.  You just need another fix.

I do see what you did there. But i can honestly say I have no idea why you did. He would like to play a game that is like WoW used to be. I see no real problem with that.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

why would you quit wow now? cata is amazing. if anything, u should have quit earlier when it sucked.

• sh33pishsh33pish Member UncommonPosts: 54

Take a break for a while, and check out Rift... especially if you want more control over your choices.   www.riftgame.com

• Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194

Try Star trek online, the gameplay mechanics are similer,  Dungeons and Dragons online and Lord of the Rings have a WoW like feel to them.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by Alchemist322

I do see what you did there. But i can honestly say I have no idea why you did. He would like to play a game that is like WoW used to be. I see no real problem with that.

I simply mean that any game will probably do, so long as it shares WoWs addictiveness.  If he stuck with WoW he might even get used to it...That and I had the inspiration to make a pretty good silly post for lulz.

No reason to take me too seriously.  Im just a guy who talks as if I have never been addicted to an MMO (even though I have).  I guess I just sorta rationalized that if the changes made the game less fun but he still liked WoW, that it must have had something to do with the core gameplay style of the game and that, at its core, WoW is designed to be addictive.  Its probably the addictiveness that gets people into liking whatever it is that he likes about WoW enough to look for it in another game.  All assumptions, but I hope they are sound ones...

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• boodasboodas Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by Alchemist322

I simply mean that any game will probably do, so long as it shares WoWs addictiveness.  If he stuck with WoW he might even get used to it...That and I had the inspiration to make a pretty good silly post for lulz.

No reason to take me too seriously.  Im just a guy who talks as if I have never been addicted to an MMO (even though I have).  I guess I just sorta rationalized that if the changes made the game less fun but he still liked WoW, that it must have had something to do with the core gameplay style of the game and that, at its core, WoW is designed to be addictive.  Its probably the addictiveness that gets people into liking whatever it is that he likes about WoW enough to look for it in another game.  All assumptions, but I hope they are sound ones...

I didn't think I needed to list all the reasons I left, but you just showed me another-The players on my realm were so rude,you couldn't even ask a question in chat with-out getting a bunch of smart remarks. Thank the rest of you for your replies -it seems its all over the place so matbe best thing to do is stay out of all games and off the forums. I played WOW for 5 years and it keeps getting worse, theres no getting use to that.  If any game would do I wouldn't have come here to ask.

• Game like wow there are hundreads   but they all suck

If you want a wow like game you will have to wait for 2011

Just play a non wow like game and you will be fine for a couple of months, Perpetuum, EVE, Darkfall, Fallen Earth to an extend...

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Take a few montsh off and hit up Rift.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    What did you guys do in wow? I can't really suggest a game until I know what you enjoyed in that game. Were you an altaholic? Dungeon grinder? Arena/bg guy? Honestly if you guys liked pve more I would play lotro but if you leaned more toward pvp I would go with War.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Well, you could play around on Lotro, DDO, eq2...They all have free versions, cannot say how bad the cash shop is, but I am sure you could try them out, since they have free or trials.

You could try WAR, I stopped playing before the updates, but seems people like the new RvR updates, the sucky crafting helped push me away, and the CC in tier 3/4 made them horrible imo....So they may have fixed omse of this.  They have a unlimited tier 1 ftp.

Games coming out:

1. Rift - has a nice class/soul system, where you will have like 8 sub-classes to choose 3 of, then invest points in each of the 3 for your build.  You csn change and store 4 builds anytime but in combat.  A dynamic rift system that has invasions ect.  Game is starting beta this weekend...Probably release around the first week of March or so.  It is a sub game.

2. GW2 - They seem to be saying all the right things, but it doesn't seem to have as much released information as Rift.  I plan to pick this up due to it being B2P, and having it as my alt game.  They have dynamic content also, kind of what I call logic tree stuff, that loops, but has a series of options that change stuff in the game.  Not sure how many subquests, before the loop.  I highly doubt it will not loop, like some say.  This should also be a good game, no matter the fine details to things.  This will probably release 2-3 months after rift imo.

3. TERA - Don't know a ton about this, but it is more of a FPS targeting MMO, and a lot of people are hyped about it.  So if a FPS targeting system sounds fun to you, you should get some more info on it.  I think they are doing a Asia beta atm, but nothing for NA/The west yet.  This probably comes out mid next year if you aren't in the eastern area.

4. SWTOR - I don't know a ton about it, I am interested, but I am skeptical/cautious also.  It will have a lot of story/quest content, with voice over work.  I worry about it being too linear/controlling of game play.  I hope It isn't, I hope its good, even if I am not playing it, so I have the option of another game to play, if some of the ones I am interested don't work out, or if its just that good that I drop the others.

So there is some stuff to keep an eye on.

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

EQ2, GW and DDO, LOTR will all suit your style of gameplay.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

• theartisttheartist Member Posts: 553

Originally posted by Paradoxy

EQ2, GW and DDO, LOTR will all suit your style of gameplay.

Para beat me to it.

These won't set you back any cash right away; and they're each A+ pve games. Guild Wars the only one with decent pvp.

• Sorrows101Sorrows101 Member Posts: 23

Aion !

• TekniqueTeknique Member UncommonPosts: 26

I've been  a hardcore wow player over 5 years now myself and I have to say there really is no game that can compare gameplay wise. I have taken breaks and tried many other games to the same point I was addicted in wow and never got the satisfaction like I did with wow. This "control" you speak of is a good thing, the changes they are making are for the upcoming xpac meaning everything is scaled for level 85 now instead of 80. I really don't see why you dislike the game now it is better than ever, the only gripe I had was the way they restricted your skill choices by giving more skills the same gcd and cd, you can no longer spam devestate and heroic strike together which as a warrior was important for me, but as with everything in time comes change so you either get use to it or move on. I tried LotrO and it is entertaining but no where near as satisfying as wow is. Also, pet's are NOT doing the same damage they had a huge increase in damage, hell when my hunter is BM his kill command bites crit for 10-15k in ICC. We players still make PLENTY of choices, they removed the portals so that people would stop abusing dal/shatt so badly just for transportation. It will actually lower the lag you find in those places because there won't be as many people going there for ports, it may be annoying but it was a good idea.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Teknique

I've been  a hardcore wow player over 5 years now myself and I have to say there really is no game that can compare gameplay wise. I have taken breaks and tried many other games to the same point I was addicted in wow and never got the satisfaction like I did with wow. This "control" you speak of is a good thing, the changes they are making are for the upcoming xpac meaning everything is scaled for level 85 now instead of 80. I really don't see why you dislike the game now it is better than ever, the only gripe I had was the way they restricted your skill choices by giving more skills the same gcd and cd, you can no longer spam devestate and heroic strike together which as a warrior was important for me, but as with everything in time comes change so you either get use to it or move on. I tried LotrO and it is entertaining but no where near as satisfying as wow is. Also, pet's are NOT doing the same damage they had a huge increase in damage, hell when my hunter is BM his kill command bites crit for 10-15k in ICC. We players still make PLENTY of choices, they removed the portals so that people would stop abusing dal/shatt so badly just for transportation. It will actually lower the lag you find in those places because there won't be as many people going there for ports, it may be annoying but it was a good idea.

That is your opinion but there are a lot of people who thinks Wow is totally destroyed now as well. Make a vote thread when Wow were as best, there will be many vanilla people here as well as the ones that agrees with you.

Same thing with gameplay wise, I don't see what is so special with it myself, it is ok but not different from games like EQ2.

Everyone have different ideas how a game should be and if OP doesn't like Wow anymore that doesn't mean anything is wrong with him, or you for that matter. Wow have changed a lot and you just can't expect everyone to like that.

Wow is still the largest P2P MMO in the west with still over 8 times the players of anything else. But that doesn't mean people wont get tired of it, many have played it for 6 years and that is forever with a computer game.

Still, Wow do have one great advantage to most other games: Superior programming. It is probably the main reason Wow is still in the top, companies like SOE, Turbine and NC soft can't compete there, not even close. Only Guildwars beats Wow there and it is a CORPG.

• unbound55unbound55 Member UncommonPosts: 325

Originally posted by dreamscaper

Originally posted by unbound55

I'm not sure about this. LotRO is a fantastic game, but it's not very similar to WoW except in superficial ways.

To clarify, it seemed to be the closest experience to WoW that I encountered.  There are definitely distinct differences between the two (graphics, settings, fellowship maneveurs, etc), but it is a pretty polished game (like WoW) with diverse classes that tend to have pretty distinct roles.  Please note that LotRO is a PvE game (PvP is based around "Monster Play").

Aion may be worth a run for the OP if you don't mind a heavier grind than WoW and prefer a PvP experience.  Warhammer was interesting, but doesn't seem to work for many people long-term (myself included).

• TekniqueTeknique Member UncommonPosts: 26

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Teknique

That is your opinion but there are a lot of people who thinks Wow is totally destroyed now as well. Make a vote thread when Wow were as best, there will be many vanilla people here as well as the ones that agrees with you.

Same thing with gameplay wise, I don't see what is so special with it myself, it is ok but not different from games like EQ2.

Everyone have different ideas how a game should be and if OP doesn't like Wow anymore that doesn't mean anything is wrong with him, or you for that matter. Wow have changed a lot and you just can't expect everyone to like that.

Wow is still the largest P2P MMO in the west with still over 8 times the players of anything else. But that doesn't mean people wont get tired of it, many have played it for 6 years and that is forever with a computer game.

Still, Wow do have one great advantage to most other games: Superior programming. It is probably the main reason Wow is still in the top, companies like SOE, Turbine and NC soft can't compete there, not even close. Only Guildwars beats Wow there and it is a CORPG.

I wasn't implying anything was wrong with him but merely giving my viewpoint on the game. I personally believe that people saying the game has been "destroyed" just don't do too well at the game and get frusterated. You see all of these people claiming how easy wow is yet even at the end of LK the majority of players haven't downed all 25 man hard modes or even reached 2200 arena rating for you pvp junkies. Currently as things stand though I can see how the changes made would cause a lot of people to quit because there is a lot different now and it takes some getting use to.

• RynneRynne Member UncommonPosts: 497

Don't take my word on it, but if you want an experience similar to WoW but more open-minded then you are better off waiting for Rift.