Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monk magic?

mesmerisemesmerise Member UncommonPosts: 200

I understand that the gameplay is doing away with the need for GW1 monk by giving every class the ability to fill a support role, but how is the disappearance of it covered in the game's lore?

Any link to an appropriate article would help greatly!

Cheers!

M

Comments

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

better to ask those who will not tell you (Anet) than to ask those who cannot but still try (trolls)

Nobody but Anet knows, and I'm not even sure that they do.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

I sooooo want a Monk class.   I'd even play WoW if they'd add it.  I think they'll keep it, to be honest.  They've gotten rid of the straight HEALING roll, but they are really talking up the more active support classes.  Sounds like a Monk to me!

• mesmerisemesmerise Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by grimm6th

better to ask those who will not tell you (Anet) than to ask those who cannot but still try (trolls)

Nobody but Anet knows, and I'm not even sure that they do.

Fair enough! I was just wondering if there was some information from the devs that I had missed.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

They haven't really killed the monk per se, they've just changed the definition of what they should be. They have done away with what everyone else thinks a healer should be and put in their own definition so in that sense the monk isn't dead, just re-imagined.

This is not a game.

• bazakbazak Member UncommonPosts: 283

well they have stated (i forget where) that there will not be a monk class in the game (only humans worship the gods and since each class has to be available to every race they couldnt do it) i dont think they have given us the lore reason for there not being a monk class though.

but you are right they havent killed the essence of the monk class (aka support) they have spread support abilities out amongst all the classes and from what i can tell all will be able to be good at it maybe even great if the player is skillfull enough but one class is gonna be easyer to play as support from what i can tell than the rest although maybe not all that much better than the other classes at it. ( at least thats what i have drawn from all i have read and seems to make the most sense but the specifics i have given enter into the realm of speculation as to how what classes can do and stuff works, but based on what they have said its what seems the most likely to me at least.)

• AblestronAblestron Member Posts: 333

in the lore I cant quite remember but I beleive there was talk about a group of warrior monks who protect all the knowledge of the past or something like that, lemme look it up real quick to verify. 

"The Order [of whispers] rescued thousands of ancient scrolls, books, and other historical artifacts, carrying them to a hidden monastery in the nearby Shiverpeaks. Stored far above the rising waters, these antiquities remain the only true records of the ancient age of humanity. The monks of that monastery are part historian and part warrior, studying and protecting their sacred charges." guild wars 2 wiki the movement of the world. 

If they decide not to include monks as another class, its possible that they use this as the story behind it. Its possible that the monks of this monestary are the only monks left who can teach more monks. As Ascalon is in ruins and lions arch is underwater, these monks might be the only ones left in tyria. And considering their protective nature of their monestary(and the knowledge it holds) they might not be accepting new members or even leaving the monestary. 

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

They have stated that there will be some classes who are better for the support role than others, same with damage, and same with control. However, they also stated that every class will be able to do some of each. Thus eliminating the need for a monk.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Didn't the gods disappear or something? If so, monks wouldn't have a source of power.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by Quirhid

Didn't the gods disappear or something? If so, monks wouldn't have a source of power.

the Gods are still arround, they just havent played a large role in tyria for a long time. Basically they continue to provide magic and the mists but they refuse to take direct role in tyria. The reason isnt curtain, but all magic is still provided to humans. 

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Delete post

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Originally posted by AKASlaphappy

Yes they did and the Devs have talked about it in interviews and it is mentioned in the videos they released.

qoute from the wiki:

"The Exodus of the Gods is an event that happened during year 0 of the Mouvelian calendar. It is the year in which the Gods of Tyria left forever from the world of Tyria.

A year before the Exodus, Abaddon granted magic to the many races of Tyria, but due to the gift being granted too freely, the races started one of the bloodiest wars. Doric, the current king of the human nations of Tyria, traveled to Arah, the city of the gods, on the peninsula of Orr and pleaded for them to put an end to the wars. They agreed, and to do this they created the bloodstones, and placed them in the largest volcano on the Ring of Fire.

Doing this caused a war between Abaddon, with his Margonites, and the other five gods. After Abaddon fell at the place now known as the Mouth of Torment, the gods left the world."

If you played Guild wars you know the last part of the entry is about night fall!

Of course this is from a Wiki but I have more faith in it since Anet is active on it.

Originally posted by Ablestron

the Gods are still arround, they just havent played a large role in tyria for a long time. Basically they continue to provide magic and the mists but they refuse to take direct role in tyria. The reason isnt curtain, but all magic is still provided to humans. 

The Gods do not provide magic, they created the bloodstones that provide the world with magic. Yes they can deny magic from the bloodstones, but they do not need to continue to grant them magic for the people of Tyria to use it.

Originally posted by Ablestron

"The Order [of whispers] rescued thousands of ancient scrolls, books, and other historical artifacts, carrying them to a hidden monastery in the nearby Shiverpeaks. Stored far above the rising waters, these antiquities remain the only true records of the ancient age of humanity. The monks of that monastery are part historian and part warrior, studying and protecting their sacred charges." guild wars 2 wiki the movement of the world. 

If they decide not to include monks as another class, its possible that they use this as the story behind it. Its possible that the monks of this monestary are the only monks left who can teach more monks. As Ascalon is in ruins and lions arch is underwater, these monks might be the only ones left in tyria. And considering their protective nature of their monestary(and the knowledge it holds) they might not be accepting new members or even leaving the monestary. 

Thanks for this information! I am curious if the monk could change into a more martial class rather than a sole spell casting class.  Although as mentioned else where on this topic the fact that non-humans do not worship the Six Gods represents a problem in the lore.

• therez0therez0 Member Posts: 379

Originally posted by AKASlaphappy

The Gods do not provide magic, they created the bloodstones that provide the world with magic. Yes they can deny magic from the bloodstones, but they do not need to continue to grant them magic for the people of Tyria to use it.

The bloodstones don't provide the world with the magic, the bloodstones divide it into the four schools: aggression, destruction, preservation, and denial. The source of the world's magic is unknown, but we do know that Abaddon gave the sentient races the ability to use it.

As for the lore to fit with the non-existing monk profession (as per the OP's original question), the monk in GW1 used preservation magic, so the lack of a dedicated healing class in GW2 does not mean that preservation magic has disappeared from the world. Another class that has yet to be announced may end up using preservation magic in more proactive ways than just heals.

That said, I am a little concerned about the lore where it comes to the schools of magic. As was seen with the ele, it is able to heal--something not available to the ele who uses the destruction school of magic. It would seem that there is a gradual breaking-down of the clear divisions of the magic over the 250 year lore span.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

read this article and you will understand why arenanet don't want monk or any dedicated healer in party:
    Healing and death

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

They did not only get rid of a specialized support profession but also of the actual monk. There is a quote somewhere from a dev saying something like "We haven't finalized the lore regarding the disappearance of monks".

My guess is that the second soldier is the new monk. That because of the Dragons monks became more and more offensive instead of just focusing on healing. Remember that monks have always worshipped both Dwayna, godess of healing, and Balthazar, god of war.

Originally posted by Diovidius

They did not only get rid of a specialized support profession but also of the actual monk. There is a quote somewhere from a dev saying something like "We haven't finalized the lore regarding the disappearance of monks".

My guess is that the second soldier is the new monk. That because of the Dragons monks became more and more offensive instead of just focusing on healing. Remember that monks have always worshipped both Dwayna, godess of healing, and Balthazar, god of war.

Worship of surtain deities has always procured the worshipers with some form of magic from that deity. such as fire or smite magic from balthazzar, or the magic over death from Grenth. And if you look at the charr and their false Gods the destroyers they gained fire magic from them. 

its clear that one can gain magic from the worship of a higher power in Guild Wars lore, but it can also be atained through forms of science and industry. such as with the Asura, or now with the charr in guild wars 2. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by mmogawd

I sooooo want a Monk class.   I'd even play WoW if they'd add it.  I think they'll keep it, to be honest.  They've gotten rid of the straight HEALING roll, but they are really talking up the more active support classes.  Sounds like a Monk to me!

That is a possibility. Giving the monk some martial arts together with the buffs would work fine with the lore, a class closer to shaolin monks then western priests.

But I think a class like that wont be included from the start but with the Cantha expansion instead. It would make some sense since most of the monks in Tyria look eastern, it is not only Mhenlo.

So I do indeed see rom for a GW2 monk but not 2011, 2013 sounds likely even if 2012 os a possibility.

Just a guess however, there might still be monks in from launch. One way or another I am sure they will show up sooner or later. :)

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

The idea is that no class has actually been removed from lore so much as evolved into something more. They've all evolved if you look at it, even the returning class, some have just become something else entirely.

I don't think you'll see any blatant incarnation of the Monk class though, as its skills and usefulness have been spread out pretty well among other classes. The class that's 'coming back under a different name' is more likely to be the Mesmer class, from the mention that people who "played Mesmers will definitely have a home in Guild Wars 2". The 'support' class will likely have healing skills, considering everyone else does, but as they wanted to do away with dedicated healers it's far more likely they will be concentrated around protection skills, meaning the new enchantment system, "Boons".

If you think about it, protection monks in the original GW were more useful at end-game than healing ones were. You can't out-heal things hitting you for hundreds of damage, but you can slap Protective Spirit/Shielding Hands on and make it so they can't do that much in the first place.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by mmogawd

That is a possibility. Giving the monk some martial arts together with the buffs would work fine with the lore, a class closer to shaolin monks then western priests.

But I think a class like that wont be included from the start but with the Cantha expansion instead. It would make some sense since most of the monks in Tyria look eastern, it is not only Mhenlo.

So I do indeed see rom for a GW2 monk but not 2011, 2013 sounds likely even if 2012 os a possibility.

Just a guess however, there might still be monks in from launch. One way or another I am sure they will show up sooner or later. :)

I thought about the monk becoming a more martial class as well but not with kung fu but instead more in the tradition of high fantasy paladins. This way they could in theory fill out the last soldier class.

Admittedly, I don't find it incredibly likely and think that instead we will have the monk as an adventurer or scholar class more along your lines with a future expansion.

• Elox1Elox1 Member Posts: 211

My best lore guess is either the example of the Order of Whispers being the only Monks left and they are stuck protecting the knowledge OR since we know the gods are playing a less active role in the world it would make sense that certain magic such as monk healing from Dwayna could be affected significantly by this, resulting in no more monk class since their healing magic was neutered and they have little in the way of martial skills to make up for it.

• evilandrexevilandrex Member UncommonPosts: 21

Who said anything about the "monk" magic disappearing off of tyria? You are only not able to play them, monk magic exsist just you get get to play using it.

• CaliforunCaliforun Member Posts: 70

Just because professions revere particular gods more than others doesn't mean they lose their power in Guild Wars 2.

In terms of lore, Abaddon already bestowed Tyria with magic back in 1 BE.  The presence of the gods themselves has no effect on said magic.