Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Fail or Flourish?

Comments

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

It will flourish because devs unlike other recent MMOS are not over hyping it and promising the stars and moon to players. As long as it has a stable launch with lots of content i see no reason why it should fail. I personally can't wait to try dynamic events in the game.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

1. What would be the competition for such a title? More WoW? RIFT will release after Cataclysm begins to decline. Guild Wars 2? GW2 is subscription free so it wont directly hinder the subscription based mmorpgs. Tera? Typical asian game...it has a niche market and quite frankly they dont seem to do very well outside of korea. 

There is not much in the way of competition for Rift.

2. Talent. Trion Worlds has hired EQ devs, former Blizzard Devs...in short theres a list of game industry vets working for this new publisher/developer. They are well funded and are going all out. People who see the game (myself included) found its level of polish to be quite amazing considering its still in Alpha. One of blizzard's successes with WoW was not only a strong marketing campaign and word of mouth, BUT also that it was released in a highly polished solid state (compared to their competition).  RIFT has accomplished that.

3. They are building upon everything WoW did right and offering an alternative. We know this works. 

The game wont die and with the type of backing behind this new publisher/developer as well as the platform, the game will live on. The only question  one can really ask is how high can the active sub count go for Rift.

• RIFT_LorhanRIFT_Lorhan Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by Paradoxy

It will flourish because devs unlike other recent MMOS are not over hyping it and promising the stars and moon to players. As long as it has a stable launch with lots of content i see no reason why it should fail. I personally can't wait to try dynamic events in the game.

I think your right.  I remember when playing Everquest back in the pre-kunark days and they would have random events and people would come from all over the world to get a piece of the action.  Random dynamic events are going to make world chat type situations relevant again.

Dynamic events are going to create that "Ever-crack" feeling of "OMG ... if I'm not playing ALL THE TIME I may miss something amazing ...."

At least in my opinion.

Previous Characters:

Isen: Paladin - Vanguard: SOH
    Oasu: Mage - WoW
    Eashen: Paladin - WoW
    Oryion: Warrior - Everquest 1

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516

I think Rift should really make sure that the PvP system gets the same dynamic treatment as PvE, in order to make a completely different game which is interesting to WoW (and clones) PvP crowed as well.

Even doing something similar to GW2's WvWvW could suffice; but please, battleground system only is depressing.

I hope they hear the community feedback on that matter.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• WaizerWaizer Member Posts: 125

really think this game will flourish. As others have said the devs are not overhyping this game which can be as bad for a game as a bad launch (warhammer online best example that comes to mind). The pvp system I have not seen too much about so far but the things I have seen look promising.

The soul attunment/tree system will be amazing. It really does look like most chars will be unique which does give each person ingame a sense of identity. In most games if you play class A you are probably going be exactly the same as a high % of other players playing class A apart from a few pieces of gear which is frankly abit crap. 

But the dynamic world (through rifts becoming footholds then footholds becoming invasions) I think will be something special. If done right it may make leveling never the same for any 2 chars, which will definatly add longevity to the game. We have all played mmo's and one of the worst parts is when you are rolling char number 2 because char 1 is no longer fun and basically you are just following the exact same steps you did for the first char which is not fun, its just repetitive. And if you can't face the grind with char 2 and you thought about rerolling because char 1 is not fun then chances are you may decide to take a break or even leave the game altogether.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Any major release following FFXIV will flourish.

I also like the game and the people working on it so i have hopes for it.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Really, there's only a slim chance that it won't be successful.

I can count the number of mainstream MMO titles that have actually failed over the years on 1 hand.  So it's most likely not even an option, unless somehow Trion does something stupid to completely screw it up.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I wish Trion the best and hope Rift will flourish (since I hope "End of Nations" will get more dev-power then).

But what I think will happen is that Rift will be "killed" by the marketing power of TOR, the smart design of B2P GW2, and I don´t know when Diablo 3 will be released, which also could have a bigger impact to the MMO worlds.

These games also may cause Rift to release prematurely. On the other hand it shouldn´t release too soon after Cataclysm.

Speculations, speculations...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Can't vote, still havn't gotten the beta key yet and I really need to try it to give a useful opinion here.

It looks interesting though, my main worries right now is: Too small, too close to Wow or too buggy. Same as with most games.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Dameonk

Really, there's only a slim chance that it won't be successful.

I can count the number of mainstream MMO titles that have actually failed over the years on 1 hand.  So it's most likely not even an option, unless somehow Trion does something stupid to completely screw it up.

Really? APB? Tabula Rasa? Asherons call 2? Auto assault? Earth and beyond? The sims online? Fairyland online? Carpe Diem?

There is a lot more.

Most of them were badly made by unknown people and Trion do have some experienced devs but a few of them are had a lot of experienced devs.  I still can't believe they botched up Sims online.

So I say the chance is large enough even if I hope the game will be great. 

And I havn't mention all the games that just barely survives like Vanguard either.

But I am still pretty positive, what I seen so far looks pretty good.

• ZarkanarZarkanar Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by djcincy

Originally posted by tswthoradin

I don't get why it's an either or thing. Even vanguard that flopped as it did is still running and people are still employed. What criteria are you using to judge success? I mean if PW makes money and it has enough player base to keep it running, then it's pretty successful. 

Oh your right, under those same guidelines the mom and pop store down the street is just as successful as walmart.

Who cares if the mom and pop store is successful if they carry the right goods, people will still go there for what they offer. If you're only concerned with the most successful businesses and options and life then you'll just limit your own horizons.

------------------------
    Everyone on this site:
    1: MMORPGs are DOOMED, and I have the answers to save them!
    2: THIS game's gonna kill WoW!
    3: I wish things would go back to the Golden Age of MMORPGs, which only existed in my mind...

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    I think it will be ok. From the gameplay videos I've seen the game seems pretty cool. Unless they really screw up client stability this game should do well.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• zephermarkuszephermarkus Member Posts: 201

Rift and swtor will finally KILL WOW!!

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I not made up mind yet.  I been watching for some while.

There are a lot of great ideas growing in this game.  However I got to say I been seeing some negatives.

(1) first negative,  the way they went about this beta.  How they pick folks, don't pick folks.  Who gets VIP access, who does not get VIP access.  The entire beta profile with only a handful of games to choose from as you base of folks who might or might not know how to do stuff.   There has been a lot of confusion on the entire beta process, and it could have all been cleared up if the folks at rift wanted too, however they let the beta conversations hang around and turn into he said they said qq.  So I am already worried about the community, and the Dev staff interactions and were not even in beta yet.

(2) Forced PVP, there looks like there's going to be a lot of it,  good for some folks not good for other folks.  I know they are going to have pvp and standard non-pvp servers.  However factions going to matter with a lot of the events that unfold and there looks to be battlegrounds on day 1.

Will the game fail or flourish, who knows.  I will reserve the right to decide for myself after I get an invite to beta and give it a go and see how bad stuff is broken.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by zephermarkus

or to put it another way...   Wow, SW:TOR will finally kill Rift..

and .. just as equaly a valid statement funnily enough.image

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

By the looks of it 90 people are about to be disappointed in the future =P.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • d0m2071d0m2071 Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by Phry

SW:ToR is going to be a gigantic bust.   I guarantee that.    Why you ask?

The answer is whos making it..... Lucas Arts/Bioware.   Lucas Arts has not had a truely successful game since the N64 days to be honest.  I just dont trust them enough to make this work, and quite honestly, i dont think a partnership with Bioware, which is not exactly experienced with MMO's is really going to work well when it comes to the final product.   Bioware isnt exactly doing wonders for WAR these days is it.   Bioware is by no means a bad company and i dont think SW:ToR will be bad, but it wont be what folks expect, and will feel more like a Dragon Age MMO then anything else.    I just dont see it sustaining numbers.

And as for WoW... nothing will ever kill WoW.   You simply cant kill something so large.   But what you can do is make it look vulnerable.  No game has been able to take even a minor bite into WoW's sub numbers.   I think RIFT will do that.   I really would not be surprised if many WoW players, who are literally playing because theres nothing else to play, try Cataclysm out, quickly get tired, and look for another home, which RIFT could provide.    I see RIFT being the first MMO to do what others couldnt and take a bite out of the sub numbers for WoW.    It wont kill WoW, but it will make folks realize that if you do things right, you can hurt the beast, and eventually with enough wounds the beast will fall.

Originally posted by d0m2071

The answer is whos making it..... Lucas Arts/Bioware.   Lucas Arts has not had a truely successful game since the N64 days to be honest.  I just dont trust them enough to make this work, and quite honestly, i dont think a partnership with Bioware, which is not exactly experienced with MMO's is really going to work well when it comes to the final product.   Bioware isnt exactly doing wonders for WAR these days is it.   Bioware is by no means a bad company and i dont think SW:ToR will be bad, but it wont be what folks expect, and will feel more like a Dragon Age MMO then anything else.    I just dont see it sustaining numbers.

And as for WoW... nothing will ever kill WoW.   You simply cant kill something so large.   But what you can do is make it look vulnerable.  No game has been able to take even a minor bite into WoW's sub numbers.   I think RIFT will do that.   I really would not be surprised if many WoW players, who are literally playing because theres nothing else to play, try Cataclysm out, quickly get tired, and look for another home, which RIFT could provide.    I see RIFT being the first MMO to do what others couldnt and take a bite out of the sub numbers for WoW.    It wont kill WoW, but it will make folks realize that if you do things right, you can hurt the beast, and eventually with enough wounds the beast will fall.

i can see, that to you, Irony is just something you can stick a magnet on....image

Its far too early to be speculating on whether or not the game will flourish, there are so few details available even on the website that i am not even sure its going to be released this year (or in what form!) it says it will have pvp.. but not in what fashion.. open world? battlegrounds? instances? any either or all, no data.. crafting, as yet unspecified.. it will have it.. but like pvp.. no details..  the only real details that are available are the races and the classes, and to a degree, the world itself, again, light on details, is this game really to be released this year? and if so why so little information, the graphics do seem to look good, but... at the moment it could easily just be abstract artwork, personally i'd like to see a bit more on gameplay and social dynamics of the game before drawing any conclusions..  especially as .. dare i say it.. given the scanty details currently available.. might just be yet another WoW clone.. i hope it isnt.. but.. at the moment you can't confirm of disprove. yet another wait and see game tbh.. image

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

it will be released early next year

• smutsmut Member Posts: 250

Uhh Bioware didn't take over control of WAR so I have no clue why you are even making that claim. Mythic still handles the WAR duties, that game is in maitenance mode pretty much and I have heard nothing that says Bioware actually works on that game. Why would they move Bioware onto the failure WAR (that ALREADY failed before the mythic/bioware thing) when SWToR is way more important? You may not like Bioware, but don't blame them for WAR!

As for your "guarantee"? LOL

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

On paper, the game looks pretty good. I'd like to see some more gameplay videos, but I guess I'll be experiencing the gameplay soon enough.

What I like most about this game: the many different class and race combinations. I love being able to create something unique. The Ascended system is going to be interesting to see how that plays out.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Dameonk

...of mainstream MMO titles...

Really? APB? Tabula Rasa? Asherons call 2? Auto assault? Earth and beyond? The sims online? Fairyland online? Carpe Diem?

I just think you and I have a different defintion of what constitutes a mainstream MMO title.  I wouldn't consider APB, Auto Assault, Earth and Beyond, Sims Online, Fairyland Online, or Carpe Diem mainstream MMOs.  I've never even heard of Fairyland Online or Carpe Diem, and for APB, Auto Assault, Earth and Beyond, and Sims Online those games were all targeted at a very niche crowds so I wasn't thinking about them when I said mainstream.

The list I was thinking about included Asheron's Call 2, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, Dark and Light, Horizons, Hellgate London, and The Matrix Online... ok, so that's 7, you're right, 2 hands :)

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

This has to be some of the most uneducated guessing I have ever read. The first paragraph completely ignores actual facts and the second utterly ignores the inevitability of repeating historical events.

Actually reading someone say, "You simply cant kill something so large", and they actually mean it when looking at recent events yet alone historical ones blows ones mind.

Wow will die ... and Wow itself will be the culprit.

You stay sassy!

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Originally posted by smut

Uhh Bioware didn't take over control of WAR so I have no clue why you are even making that claim. Mythic still handles the WAR duties, that game is in maitenance mode pretty much and I have heard nothing that says Bioware actually works on that game. Why would they move Bioware onto the failure WAR (that ALREADY failed before the mythic/bioware thing) when SWToR is way more important? You may not like Bioware, but don't blame them for WAR!

As for your "guarantee"? LOL

When I was at E3, the face of SWTOR was also the head of WAR, meaning they put a lot of WAR's Creative development alongside SWTOR and used their poster boy to sell the game. It is fair to link the two in that regard.

That said... SWTOR is a guaranteed bust. No joke, just do a lil research and you will know why. Dont be so surprised either, Final Fantasy 14 online busted for the same reason. BAD DESIGN. Bioware (much respect to them) is treating it like a single player game, partially linear with a subscription fee. Richard Garriet of Ultima Fame couldnt even get his last MMORPG on its feet. Finally, you need to understand that EA isnt really known for having successful mmorpgs under their belt really. This is a butchered product. 

Even mmorpg.com has a scathing article on SWTOR after the author actually played the game. Bioware made a bad move and you will see it when they dont meet their projected numbers as well as notice the magnitude of negative reviews from gaming sites.