Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it wourth playing now?

SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

I preordered this game forever ago but after playing beta I was not tempted in playing the game (I got it anyways because I get every Final Fantasy) I just wanted to know is it wourth installing now?

Comments

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

Game is same except for new tweaked UI and addition and fixes of few leves for DOH. There is no new content. So if you didn't like it before, you won' like it now. The gameplay is same. Repetitve leves system and endless grind on mobs to level up.

Bite Me

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

Dang, I realy enjoyed FFXI was hoping this one would be wourth the time... I don't care to but in the effort but I don't want ot hit max lvl and find out there was nothing there.

• shinobi234shinobi234 Member Posts: 437

play the game for yourself see if you like it. thats the only way to find out reading threads dont say much have to try it for yourself like i did if you dont do that you never know if you like it or not

• mainvein33mainvein33 Member Posts: 406

Look the best way to find out is to play it yourself you cna ask here but if you bought a copy already just go ahed and play it. Yes I can say that this wasnt a content update. There is not guarantee that you will dislike it now or like if you dont like grinding I suggest you rethink playing but if the UI was your big hang up then take another look honestly they made alot of changes so I suggest you look at it like a re-release not so much that the game is totally different its just more polished now and runs a good bit slicker long story short heres the list fo updates

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=159e4a58b58fd0214620ec8d64ddd138d5ab599e

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573

My game has a gear uncomfort bug even if i take all my gear off i still see the icon I'm quiting today.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Originally posted by shinobi234

play the game for yourself see if you like it

play if you want but don't spend a damn cent on the game.  If you can't try it for free, then just stay away and don't listen to anyone who says otherwise.

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

Originally posted by adam_nox

Originally posted by shinobi234

play the game for yourself see if you like it

play if you want but don't spend a damn cent on the game.  If you can't try it for free, then just stay away and don't listen to anyone who says otherwise.

I agree, I think all games should have a free trial up front, kind of like a test drive of a new car. But, once you buy it, it shoud come with a 2 year contract with early termination fees like your cell phone has. That would stop all the free-loaders right in there tracks wouldn't it.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Originally posted by Datcyde

My game has a gear uncomfort bug even if i take all my gear off i still see the icon I'm quiting today.

Maybe it's your weapon? You know you can't take that off.  Anyways, quitting because your gear needs repair is funny.

@OP

Play the game like you played FFXI. Remember, you did not rush through quests 100 a day in FFXI to level and race to endgame. Remember how you met your first players helping you to get to Valkrum Dunes after you spend ages in the newbie Zones dying every 20 minutes? Remember how you joined your first LS and suddenly the game became much more accessable? Remember how you found out that you should not throw away those stupid beastmen seals?

Take it slow. This is FFXI with new clothes and some changed mechanics. It's still the same slow paced game that you can log in and be part of an online community. This never has and never will be a race to endgame and e-peen status. This is about you and your character.

If you want fast paced race to endgame with quest after quest after quest, killing X, then Y, then Z for the same rewards just at a different level with slightly better stats, then i advise you to go over there. *points at the WoW clones*

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• CrynswindCrynswind Member Posts: 290

Games with content and something to do besides grind are wow clones?

• Alchemist322Alchemist322 Member Posts: 51

Originally posted by taus01

Originally posted by Datcyde

Maybe it's your weapon? You know you can't take that off.  Anyways, quitting because your gear needs repair is funny.

@OP

Play the game like you played FFXI. Remember, you did not rush through quests 100 a day in FFXI to level and race to endgame. Remember how you met your first players helping you to get to Valkrum Dunes after you spend ages in the newbie Zones dying every 20 minutes? Remember how you joined your first LS and suddenly the game became much more accessable? Remember how you found out that you should not throw away those stupid beastmen seals?

Take it slow. This is FFXI with new clothes and some changed mechanics. It's still the same slow paced game that you can log in and be part of an online community. This never has and never will be a race to endgame and e-peen status. This is about you and your character.

If you want fast paced race to endgame with quest after quest after quest, killing X, then Y, then Z for the same rewards just at a different level with slightly better stats, then i advise you to go over there. *points at the WoW clones*

Yep it is about you and your character.

Sitting around.

Doing nothing.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Originally posted by Crynswind

Please tell me what is there to do in WoW or WoW clones besides quest grinding. Please go ahead amuse me. And don't start with the so called "End Game" cause thats just more grinding of the same quest over and over for some drop.

I make it easy for you. Name just ONE thing.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

Please tell me what is there to do in WoW or WoW clones besides quest grinding. Please go ahead amuse me. And don't start with the so called "End Game" cause thats just more grinding of the same quest over and over for some drop.

Ehh? and all you do is grind mobs in FFXIV. How is that different from quest grind? atleast quest gives you some purpose. Its funny that you are trying to prove as if mob grinding is somehow more fun then quest grinding. Every F2P asian game has mob grind if thats what you enjoy. What is so special about FFXIV?

I have over 100 hours logged in FFXIV and all i have done is grind same leves and kill mobs to level up without any purpose or goal.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

• mainvein33mainvein33 Member Posts: 406

Originally posted by Paradoxy

Ehh? and all you do is grind mobs in FFXIV. How is that different from quest grind? atleast quest gives you some purpose. Its funny that you are trying to prove as if mob grinding is somehow more fun then quest grinding. Every F2P asian game has mob grind if thats what you enjoy. What is so special about FFXIV?

I have over 100 hours logged in FFXIV and all i have done is grind same leves and kill mobs to level up without any purpose or goal.

I am pretty sure and do not get me wrong here but half the time until end game the purpose of grinding and questing is leveling up. You guys seem to be making this a hell of a lot more complex than it is. It is not all that different than any other game. Yes there are no gear drops from mobs but some does come from Leves (quest) and level chest. Grinding does get you some where you leve your character gets more versatile and gets stronger. Its not all that complex or all that different than any other title. No matter what way they try to sugar coat it the grind is the grind and the purpose is to get levels.

Look honestly if you reall want to know about the game from players that stuck around go to Zam or Pro's forums for this game and actually hear it from them. They are not going to lie but many are hardcore fans so take it with a grain of salt some times. Check the videos and read the blogs on lodestone. Hear out from the community and not people that left the game a month in. I am not blaming them they had good reason but if anything changes your going to need to hear it from the actual people that saw the difference and can comment appropriately. The people you will actually be playing with if you chose to play the game.

Originally posted by mainvein33

I am pretty sure and do not get me wrong here but half the time until end game the purpose of grinding and questing is leveling up. You guys seem to be making this a hell of a lot more complex than it is. It is not all that different than any other game. Yes there are no gear drops from mobs but some does come from Leves (quest) and level chest. Grinding does get you some where you leve your character gets more versatile and gets stronger. Its not all that complex or all that different than any other title. No matter what way they try to sugar coat it the grind is the grind and the purpose is to get levels.

Look honestly if you reall want to know about the game from players that stuck around go to Zam or Pro's forums for this game and actually hear it from them. They are not going to lie but many are hardcore fans so take it with a grain of salt some times. Check the videos and read the blogs on lodestone. Hear out from the community and not people that left the game a month in. I am not blaming them they had good reason but if anything changes your going to need to hear it from the actual people that saw the difference and can comment appropriately. The people you will actually be playing with if you chose to play the game.

You missed the point i was trying to make. Grind is a grind. Whether you do quest grind or just senseless mob grind to level up. Some people here try to show as if FFXIV grind is some how better because it lacks questing.

Every MMO has grind but it depends upon devs how they mask that grind and make it fun.

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

Originally posted by mainvein33

I am pretty sure and do not get me wrong here but half the time until end game the purpose of grinding and questing is leveling up.

Maybe I'm one of the few but I do enjoy the questing part and not do it for leveling up. I actually think that xp gain in wow is too much for me to fully enjoy it. A lot of times I outlevel a zone and quests start to become too easy. So yeah, leveling up actually is a minus for me. 

• wizyear2099wizyear2099 Member UncommonPosts: 310

looks like you will have to come up with that solution an give it a go play it actually get far :). i been in since CE an loving it more now since better patch yes an more heeps of people are playing it an enjoying a lot more. It will get better more an more thats why i play through the ruff of the game, if its ff no doubt I will play it. to those who haven't even tried due to others sayings gonna have to seriously try for yourself. the stages of the game go long ways in mmoprgs so you might as well build yourself a character. keep your accounts active as possible. if you find yourself not playing well, try something else in the game that you may like. I mostly craft an harvest an I enjoy the game. not even killing as much, now later on i will fight a lot more. population is growing strong atm an the mobs are dense exp is easier. I do it the hard way 1st so when the game gets easy you are even more rewarded.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

My opinion is that this game will not be really good until the next expansion or two after the console release.My reasoning is that once the console release is done,it will prove they finally have a grasp on the coding of their engine.The problem is that the first expansion is probably already in the works,they might actually have it planned for the release party of the PS3.So it might well take the second expansion before you see them get aggressive creating content.I am talking things like housing,new abilities that are truly fun like FFXI had,and new ideas like someof the content FFXI had example Beseiged and stuff like that.Might also see something like the Chains of Promathia missions be incorporated around the second xpac,ideas like that as well.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• scythe99scythe99 Member Posts: 326

imo the game is a failure till it has an AH to go with its lame ass craftng system, haven't played a game with a worse crafting system than ff14 and i've played almost all english translated mmorpg's. You can't have a craft system like ff14, and not have an auction house ti just won't work well.

"An MMORPG could be completely diffirent from WoW. Just look at games like Dofus, Wizard101 or EVE. But as it is, most of the Western MMOs are trying to succeed by out-WoWing WoW. It's like an army of 10 sports games made about same sports, and barely none about other sports. WoW clone is an accurate description of those games, it manages to convey much information with only two words."
    -Poster on mmorpg.com

Rift: World of Warcraft clone #9321 Nothing special to see here move along.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Every MMO - including the WoW clones - has mob grinding. They're simply packaged differently.

You're either killing the mobs for a quest or you're killing them for some other reason. You're either killing them for personal gain of some sort, or you're doing it for some NPC with a ! over their head who has a shiny reward for you. When I played WoW, I often shared mobs with people killing the same ones... They were kililng them for a quest. I was grinding them for mats. In other cases, I was killing them for a quest, someone else was killing them for faction. In still another case, myself and someone else were killing them for some xp to push us over the next level. And on and on... Same difference. Either way... you're killing lots of mobs. Ergo, grinding.

Also, as Taus touched on and as I've since experienced... If all you find you're doing in XIV is "grinding mobs"... It's because that's all you're doing. Like I've often said about XI.. It seems that with XIV, you get out what you put in.

Just yesterday, I:

1. Gained a couple levels on leather crafting and have partially crafted myself a new set of gear

2. Crafted some sub-components for a linkshell mate who needed them for their craft

3. Started working on Weaving since I'll need it as a "sub-skill" to make some of my leather gear.

4. Leveled Mining up another level or so and gathered more materials to either use, give to people, or sell.

5. Completed a number of leves of my own, and shared with others...  including one where we got our ass kicked 4 times by cactuars. Frigging 1000 needles.

6. Traveled to a new aetheryte camp, nearly dying a few times along the way, to finish a crafting leve and "unlock" that location

7. Did some xp grinding on mobs to level up my polearm a bit

8. Looked into and learned some new things about how faction points work relating to leves, etc

9. Got in on my first Behest. Fun enough for a short-term event. Would like to see some larger, more involved variations of that.

10. All while doing the above, had a great time talking and joking around with my ls-mates.

That's over the course of several hours. That's far from "nothing but leves and grinding mobs".

As I've stated before... It's in how you approach the game. If you choose to do nothing but grind mobs.. Guess what? The game is going to be nothing but a mob grind to you.

Just like XI, trying to play XIV like you would other MMOs (WoW,LoTRO, etc) is counter-productive. You're swimming against the current. It doesn't have the "go go go go go go" pacing of those games. It's not about a rush to level cap.

To put it in perspective, I could never enjoy WoW for long because I *like* a slower pace in MMOs. I'm not in a hurry. And, despite my best efforts, I felt like I was being swept along at the pace Blizzard set, rather than my own. The only way I could slow myself down was by literally sitting around doing nothing. Not very fun. So.. in that case, it was me who was swimming against the stream, trying to play the game in a way it's not really intended to be played. That's not the game's fault. I simply wasn't playing a game well-suited to my playstyle.

XIV, like XI it seems, is best experienced if you approach it as a "virtual world" your character inhabits...  rather than "a game you grind through".

With some of the upcoming changes and additions (GOBLINS!! - sorry.. still gets me giddy :-p), it looks like SE's on the path of filling the game out. Mind you, this isn't a "call of victory"... Just that they're on the right path. If the development of XI is any indication, I expect there's a lot more to come.

Mind you... this is all my opinion and my experience.

However... of course.. this is a form of entertainment and, like anything else, it's going to appeal to some and not to others. I was in the camp of saying "no freaking way" to this game after my first experience. I came back with the free time extension, entered it from scratch with a fresh approach - similar to that I took to XI - and have an entirely different experience with it now.

As always, mileage may vary.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• shinobi234shinobi234 Member Posts: 437

i sure you read the patch they fixing that why bring up old news :O. looks like another hater :P complaining about aution house and crap dude they fixing the dam thing stop wacking the goat......

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

It is of my opinion that if you have to ask your question you have of neither state of mind or body to start the game. If I may make a suggestion, I suggest you wait until you are more confident to make that decision yourself.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Originally posted by WSIMike

Every MMO - including the WoW clones - has mob grinding. They're simply packaged differently.

You're either killing the mobs for a quest or you're killing them for some other reason. You're either killing them for personal gain of some sort, or you're doing it for some NPC with a ! over their head who has a shiny reward for you. When I played WoW, I often shared mobs with people killing the same ones... They were kililng them for a quest. I was grinding them for mats. In other cases, I was killing them for a quest, someone else was killing them for faction. In still another case, myself and someone else were killing them for some xp to push us over the next level. And on and on... Same difference. Either way... you're killing lots of mobs. Ergo, grinding.

Also, as Taus touched on and as I've since experienced... If all you find you're doing in XIV is "grinding mobs"... It's because that's all you're doing. Like I've often said about XI.. It seems that with XIV, you get out what you put in.

Just yesterday, I:

1. Gained a couple levels on leather crafting and have partially crafted myself a new set of gear

2. Crafted some sub-components for a linkshell mate who needed them for their craft

3. Started working on Weaving since I'll need it as a "sub-skill" to make some of my leather gear.

4. Leveled Mining up another level or so and gathered more materials to either use, give to people, or sell.

5. Completed a number of leves of my own, and shared with others...  including one where we got our ass kicked 4 times by cactuars. Frigging 1000 needles.

6. Traveled to a new aetheryte camp, nearly dying a few times along the way, to finish a crafting leve and "unlock" that location

7. Did some xp grinding on mobs to level up my polearm a bit

8. Looked into and learned some new things about how faction points work relating to leves, etc

9. Got in on my first Behest. Fun enough for a short-term event. Would like to see some larger, more involved variations of that.

10. All while doing the above, had a great time talking and joking around with my ls-mates.

That's over the course of several hours. That's far from "nothing but leves and grinding mobs".

As I've stated before... It's in how you approach the game. If you choose to do nothing but grind mobs.. Guess what? The game is going to be nothing but a mob grind to you.

Just like XI, trying to play XIV like you would other MMOs (WoW,LoTRO, etc) is counter-productive. You're swimming against the current. It doesn't have the "go go go go go go" pacing of those games. It's not about a rush to level cap.

To put it in perspective, I could never enjoy WoW for long because I *like* a slower pace in MMOs. I'm not in a hurry. And, despite my best efforts, I felt like I was being swept along at the pace Blizzard set, rather than my own. The only way I could slow myself down was by literally sitting around doing nothing. Not very fun. So.. in that case, it was me who was swimming against the stream, trying to play the game in a way it's not really intended to be played. That's not the game's fault. I simply wasn't playing a game well-suited to my playstyle.

XIV, like XI it seems, is best experienced if you approach it as a "virtual world" your character inhabits...  rather than "a game you grind through".

With some of the upcoming changes and additions (GOBLINS!! - sorry.. still gets me giddy :-p), it looks like SE's on the path of filling the game out. Mind you, this isn't a "call of victory"... Just that they're on the right path. If the development of XI is any indication, I expect there's a lot more to come.

Mind you... this is all my opinion and my experience.

However... of course.. this is a form of entertainment and, like anything else, it's going to appeal to some and not to others. I was in the camp of saying "no freaking way" to this game after my first experience. I came back with the free time extension, entered it from scratch with a fresh approach - similar to that I took to XI - and have an entirely different experience with it now.

As always, mileage may vary.

What makes you think i didn't do all what you mentioned? moreover for those who don't want to do crafting all there is to kill and grind mobs. As far as your statement ;

False. I am grinding mobs at lvl 30 because there is nothing else to do. You just started out the game so you won't feel the repetition and lack of content when you are not even lvl 15 +. Not everyone who plays FFXIV wants to craft or gather. But not that i didn't try crafting. After hitting lvl 25 on 3 jobs i realised that all i am doing is spamming standards for over two months.

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573

Theres no sense of adventure in this game I hate it it feels more like a simulation with a quest Hub sorry I just cant make the happy eye on this one lmao.

• fugue14fugue14 Member Posts: 59

asian garbage

• geldonyetichgeldonyetich Member Posts: 1,340

I gave it a spin just now.  The GUI feels a whole lot slicker, *massive* improvement there.  Unfortunately, a GUI only goes skin deep.  The main reason I gave up the game has to do with a general lack of content, and that's yet to be resolved.  I refuse to grind a small handful of the same old Guildleves for days/weeks/months in order to get at the few little segments of the story.