Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eve pvp questions

BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

I've played Eve off and on over the past year or so and am up to about 12 mil sp, most of which are in mining/industry. I'm not playing currently but plan to in about 2 or 3 months. I enjoy industry well enough, but would like to try out pvp, and maybe actually leave empire space for once. I also mission a bit, but I know that's vastly different from pvp.

1. In general, how should I consider starting the transition to pvp? You should probably know that I fly all gallente and that, with few exceptions, I am still unable to use t2 items. Is solo pvp even possible anymore outside of pirating, which I don't want to do? I'm guessing I should probably just stick to frigates, even if I can fly battleships, until I have a feel for pvp.

2. Being as I fly gallente ships what's my best approach to pvp? For instance, I know that gallente ships are primarily active armor tanked, which makes me vulnerable to neuts. Also I don't hear many good things about hybrids, except for blasters for close in, and I have no skill points in any other type of weaponry currently. My only combat has been pve and I have always used rails up to this point. Did I make the wrong decision to go gallente, or can I counter these problems?

3. Does faction warfare have an impact on standings?

I've come to hate being so ignorant of such a large part of the game.

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by BarakIII
    I've played Eve off and on over the past year or so and am up to about 12 mil sp, most of which are in mining/industry. I'm not playing currently but plan to in about 2 or 3 months. I enjoy industry well enough, but would like to try out pvp, and maybe actually leave empire space for once. I also mission a bit, but I know that's vastly different from pvp.
    1. In general, how should I consider starting the transition to pvp? You should probably know that I fly all gallente and that, with few exceptions, I am still unable to use t2 items. Is solo pvp even possible anymore outside of pirating, which I don't want to do? I'm guessing I should probably just stick to frigates, even if I can fly battleships, until I have a feel for pvp.
    2. Being as I fly gallente ships what's my best approach to pvp? For instance, I know that gallente ships are primarily active armor tanked, which makes me vulnerable to neuts. Also I don't hear many good things about hybrids, except for blasters for close in, and I have no skill points in any other type of weaponry currently. My only combat has been pve and I have always used rails up to this point. Did I make the wrong decision to go gallente, or can I counter these problems?
    3. Does faction warfare have an impact on standings?

Start PVPing in frigates. You have couple of choices how to do that:

a) join Factional Warfare
    b) join RvsB
    c) move into low sec

Why frigates? They are cheap, easiest to train and you will lose some in the learning process. No point in losing expensive ships.

a&b) are mostly group oriented experience while b) is a bit more dangareous since you can be easily attacked anywhere, anytime. C) is closer to solo and gives you better insight into tactical aspect of PVP, imo. Living in low sec will learn you a bit more about self-awareness and survival rather than combat.

No each option is better than the other, they are just different.

Solo PVP is possible but it usually means you and your alts...

All races are quite balanced. Hybrid guns, have their pros and cons like any other guns, and are not really worse than any other weapon platform. However, the main strength of Gallente is in their drones.

Long range weapons, and range in general, are mostly good for groups. Larger the group, more benefit from range. If you want to solo or join small group warfare, drones and blasters will be handy.

Gallente T1 frigate of choice is Tristan, unfortunately that uses dual weapon platform - hybrids+rockets. Not a deal breaker but...not helping much.

It is all about synergy of the play style and your ship. Pick a ship, fit it and play it to gain the most benefit off your setup.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Im sorry but the tristan blows so much ass its not funny.

Incursus is the Gallente pvp t1 frig.

While not as well rounded as the Rifter i consider it equal to the punisher and better than the Merlin.

Once you start figuring shit out in low sec OP upgrade to a Vexor.

That ship is pure sex, crazy Hp, optimal 2,2,1 drone set up man... i used that ship exclusively in solo/small gang situation for more than 16 months. Has to be my favorite t1 ship in the game.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

Originally posted by Rockgod99
    While not as well rounded as the Rifter i consider it equal to the punisher and better than the Merlin.
    That ship is pure sex, crazy Hp, optimal 2,2,1 drone set up man... i used that ship exclusively in solo/small gang situation for more than 16 months. Has to be my favorite t1 ship in the game.

Nah. Merlin is probably the best T1 frig or right on par with Rifter(both are a bit different). Incursus is the worst in all aspects. It is a glass cannon with not that shiny damage.

Tristan is decent but you need to skill up rockets...

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Originally posted by BarakIII

I admire your attitude, I really do.

And I'll be very blunt,  Faction Warfare!...  or maybe RedVsBlue.   but the extra dangers of low-sec will make it more real and your manufacturing skills are going to be highly sought after.

Either way, learning PvP comes down to the quality of your mentor, the quality of the corp your in.  You need a corp that is big enough to be active regularly and provide security, but small enough that your not just an extra pilot making up the numbers.

Voice comms Voice Comms Voice Comms,  use it! talk to people ask questions, get involved, no matter what ships you can fly no matter your experience you will be usefull to any corp, provided your a good communicator.  Get on their vent or teamspeak, introduce yourself, dont be shy and dont be afraid to lose ships...

In fact, if you have enough ISK, buy about 10 frigates, fit them all out at some base and aim to have them all destroyed within a week!  Get over that terrible feeling of dying.  then buy another 10.   Dont be foolish obviously, but dont be scared either.  A decent frigate competative frigate should cost only about 2m

There is a lot more tips and information I could go on about, but really, you need to learn it from your comrades, not on a forum.

Originally posted by Gdemami

Nah. Merlin is probably the best T1 frig or right on par with Rifter(both are a bit different). Incursus is the worst in all aspects. It is a glass cannon with not that shiny damage.

Tristan is decent but you need to skill up rockets...

Lol oh dude I think we could debate back and forth all day on this topic. Considering I have black Friday shopping to do let's just agree to disagree. Lol have a good day.

Lol oh dude I think we could debate back and forth all day on this topic. Considering I have black Friday shopping to do let's just agree to disagree. Lol have a good day.

Post Incursus fit, I will post a Merlin.

While it is still numbers only, I did fly both but you can clearly tell the performance difference of both ships just from the numbers.

Originally posted by Gdemami

Post Incursus fit, I will post a Merlin.

While it is still numbers only, I did fly both but you can clearly tell the performance difference of both ships just from the numbers.

I can't I'm on my iPhone. The fits are incursus blaster, ab, 200mm thug plate pvp fit versus medium extender Merlin pvp fit. Incursus has high damage, is faster and has a totally acceptable buffer. Merlin has a better tank. Comparable but I prefer the incursus it's suits my style.

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

Others have commented about the basics so I will answer your question about Gallente ships, they are still great for small to medium gang and solo pvp but many of them do not work so well in large fleets but you can make them work well in FW. Active armour tanking isn't that much of a problem as most Gallente ships work well buffer tanked, both shield and armour and hyrbids are not as bad as people make out although they do have some problems and are far from the best.

A buffered blaster Mega is still one of the most dangerous BS around for example and small blasters are also fine. Ship choice is varied and ultimately depends on your combat style and your targets but a quick rundown for solo pvp would be,

Taranis, Ishkur, these are two of the best frigs in the game and great for solo roaming around lowsec and nullsec, can take down a variety of targets and cheap as chips to lose

Ishtar, good with a shield buffer and the combination of drones and ability to fit nuets gives it a wide spread of targets, if you have the ISK for pirate implants or want to use drugs you can use active or armour buffers with surprising results.

Arazu, cloaky and can have good DPS with a balls out blaster fit or can nibble away at range fitted with railguns when you damp down a target, can be fit with armour or shield buffer.

Thorax and  Vexor, two great cheap ships that you can fit with armour or shield buffers like the BCs, if you have better drone skills than gunnery get the Vex if you have more in gunnery get the Rax.

Phobos, for a HIC its actually pretty good for solo pvp think of it as a Thorax with a super tank and 4 mids which is great because you can get a cap booster and a scram+ web and be able to tackle stuff from range first and stand a better chance of not missing a tackle.

Brutix and Myrmidon, the Brutix is good with an armour tank and can melt faces with a shield buffer and the same goes for the Myrm which has one of the best tanks around with a triple armour rep fit and drugs. Which you would choose ultimately depends on where you have put more SP, drones go for the Myrm, blasters get the Brutix.

Megathron/Hype/Domi, lots of different ways to fit these but in essence they are great for gate and station fighting where you don't have to move around much and you can fight other BS or groups of cruisers/BCs when you get more confident.

Then you have the faction ships, the Serpentis ones are all awesome but very pricey and very do or die as you have to totally commit to the fight unlike the Angel ships. But definitely stick with the cheaper ships until you can the hang of the basics and get more confident.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

cmon guys, any ship with a point is usefull for pvp,  what matters is the knowledge, experience and bollox behind the pilot :D

I really hate it when people say one ship is "better" than another.. its nonsense, the only thing which is better is the pilot or the fleet commander :D  everything else is just cutting hairs.

Tristain might not be as good dps wise.. but I'll tell ya what, its a great bait ship :D  getting your enemy to agress matters more.

I can't I'm on my iPhone. The fits are incursus blaster, ab, 200mm thug plate pvp fit versus medium extender Merlin pvp fit. Incursus has high damage, is faster and has a totally acceptable buffer. Merlin has a better tank. Comparable but I prefer the incursus it's suits my style.

So you know where I am heading.

The problem is, Incursus does not deal as high damage is it would be desired for balanced or useful fit. It makes good 'high' dps throw away ship though :)

The damage difference is pretty much negligable as the buffer of Merlin is about a double of Incursus, count in resists, selectable dmg type on rockets that won't miss and recharge rate of the shields and you will be DPS wise about on par. The only what you lose is a bit of speed.

Then I have to mention fitting difficulties of Incursus, it is a nightmare and fitting a plate means you have to use an implant or downgrade one of your guns. Merlin is very cheap to rig too since shield rigs cost virtually nothing.

All in all, Merlin is a win. It is possible to use shield extender fit within very few days of play, it is easy to fit and start with and once you get good skill points, it is deadly dangerous.

Surely there is a personal taste but I think there are objective reasons why to go with Merlin or Tristan rather than Incursus.

Dont forget rocket changes :D  ye olde tristain might yet be a decent ship

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

Thanks to all that answered, I appreciate it. image