Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What keeps your from going back to WoW?

BashirBashir Member Posts: 85

If you are a retired wow vet, what's keeping you from going back to the game?  I won't get into why i may or may not just yet.  I'm curious about other's opinions though

Comments

• ChargersphanChargersphan Member Posts: 19

Right now Dungeons and Dragons Online. But if I said I wont atleast give Cata its fair shot I would be lying.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    The majority of my three years away from wow have been spent playing mmorpgs that offer an entirely different experience like Eve and Ryzom.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

right now the graphics and the fact that i'v done it all a million times.

come Dec 7.....probably nothing.

• TuhtleSoupTuhtleSoup Member UncommonPosts: 10

I don't go back because there as so many other games I play or have yet to play. Many games are coming in 2011 and that will keep me busy for a very long time.

The second part is that after playing it for 4 months, the gameplay seemed  repetitive to me after have been playing many other free MMOs before. It just got boring extremely fast even with friends from school helping and giving tips. I probably won't go back to WoW and continue on my Guild Wars adventures. Yes, I do play Guild Wars but, that's another topic.

• Vampire-DKVampire-DK Member Posts: 4

My pride ;)

• narakuunarakuu Member Posts: 348

Read the blue text if you just want to hear the short version, read the red if you somehow think you are going to be able and change my preference of visual styles in games, or if you think that I'm somehow "wrong".

I'm not really a vet, only tried the lich king trial which wasnt bad really.

But the thing that keeps me from playing WoW is the fact that I know I wont feel immersed because of the style of the graphics, I wish they would do a graphics upgrade like I believe Eve did before. I used to hear alot about oh how much trees there are and other stuff to compensate for the lack of visuals. Though that sounds a bit like "quantity IS better then quality" and it did look kind of nice but then I would take one look at my armor and see how its basically painted onto my body and be like "meh".

As far as graphics > gameplay, I dont agree with that but I do think I personally need a certain balance, sure if its a city or space game sim, I wouldnt care much about graphics if the options that are presented to me are pretty vast and make me feel like its fun and I have tons of control over what happends. WoW doesnt really give me that though because its an mmo and part of an mmo to me is the feeling of being in a different world. WoW sorta more reminds me of the days I would sit in front of the tv and watch cartoon network though.

Also before people start "blahblah graphics are great" or "its keeping it true to wc3", well graphics have been upgraded from a technical standpoint as far as adding certain options to make it sparkle and shine more but it still has a cartoony look to it. As for the keeping it true to the previous game, well look at wc2 and wc1, they had a grimmer and more real look to them, plus that every movie, cutscene and artwork looks pretty grim and very realistic supports that if everyone could run really nice graphics and models and etc, then blizzard wouldnt hesitate to strive for that.

Visual feel of the game feels cartoony, makes it hard for myself to feel immersed in the world which is something I like about games, but I do consider starting it up again because its pretty fun to play nonetheless.

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

Different trees same forest.  Why pay for the same old same old when LOTRO offers it for free, plus I have a lifetime vip account.

• raelizerraelizer Member UncommonPosts: 13

well i played wow for almost 6 years " i quit when aion launched" well ive already quit aion as well but ive not went back to wow for one reason. the game is merely too simple to consider a game anymore, its more of an interactive flash movie. lol

no challenge = no me .

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Oh well where should I start?

[object Window]

People

1. Kotick

2. Greg Street

3. Tom Chilton

4. worst [object Window]community[object Window] I[object Window]ve ever experienced

[object Window]

Gameplay

1. hardmodes - for me they aren[object Window]t challenging and a poor excuse for the non existence of former great raid design i.e access quests

2. achievements - if you don[object Window]t care about this crap therer wont be enough content again or guilds are becoming disbanbed because of that rap

3. [object Window]balance[object Window] BS - who cares about balance in a PvE game?! its just stupid having to relearn your class with every bigger update

4. linear, easymode and constantly dumbing down

5. only 5 new zones which isn[object Window]t much for an expansion asking for 40 $

Crapware

1. battle.net

2. blizzard store - not going to deal with RMT + subfee. Don[object Window]t care if its just cosmetic or not.

3. reduced support

[object Window]

Since nothing of that will ever get fixed theres no way back.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• Bowser82Bowser82 Member Posts: 18

Just had enough of the same, and I wanted to feel mmo-fresh for the next big mmo that I'll be playing. Also I feel that Blizzard gets a way a lot more with WoW than other developers would with their recycled content.

"You don't have much choice when trouble's riding your back so tight it makes the leather squeak. Sometimes you outsmart it, sometimes you outfight it, and sometimes you just have to outrun it... full throttle."

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355

The main thing that keeps me from going back is...

-My account got hacked and its been over a year and Blizzard still refuses to give back my 2 level 80s or my now banned account.

Thats pretty much it...I refuse to buy WoW, TBC and WoTLK then Cataclysm after already purchasing them once and subscribing for over a year of play time.

Mystery Bounty

• MokweeMokwee Member Posts: 286

eve has rmt+subfee+soon to be item shop....also allows botters so i really dont see how you people complain... just go get a bot mine for a day and buy some plex....

• ReygarReygar Member UncommonPosts: 13

Monthly fees are keeping me away.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Originally posted by Venger

Different trees same forest.  Why pay for the same old same old when LOTRO offers it for free, plus I have a lifetime vip account.

This,

eventho im gona go visit to cata probably finish the quest line try worgen and then go back to lotro, vip aswell.

things are more relaxed at middle earth theres no naive competing about gs. besides you can modify how you look so theres even a change to see different looking players same armrs on =)

cheers

• MokweeMokwee Member Posts: 286

Originally posted by MysteryB

The main thing that keeps me from going back is...

-My account got hacked and its been over a year and Blizzard still refuses to give back my 2 level 80s or my now banned account.

Thats pretty much it...I refuse to buy WoW, TBC and WoTLK then Cataclysm after already purchasing them once and subscribing for over a year of play time.

I had an account hacked and had absolutely no problem is retrieving it PROVIDED I COULD GIVE THEM THE INFORMATION THEY WANTED AND I SHOULD HAVE SINCE I BOUGHT IT.

apparently you couldnt provide said info and also saying that since you can buy wow up to lich king for 20$ now...and then buy cata...and thats too expensive? get a grip

• BashirBashir Member Posts: 85

Originally posted by Caldicot

[mod edit]

I kind of feel like i've outgrown what wow has to offer as well.  It was my 2nd mmo after ffxi.  man, was it a breath of fresh air.  I played it religiously for a long time up until 08.  I tried the raiding thing, but i'm not into it.  Gear never really mattered that much to me.  I had a lot of alts because i liked seeing the different class  mechanics and what not.  Pvp was cool at first but that got watered down a bit to me.  I'd have to say after levelingi almost every class to max level or close to it, I just don't have the drive any more.  Yeah, there's different scenery, but like mentioned before, it's not that immersive.  The goal for wow is to race to the end even though they've done a major revamp to the 1-60 game, people will still rush to the end and begin their end game grind. 

I had some good times in wow, particularly trying to level in stranglethorn on a pvp server back in the day.  It was never a dull moment and kind of a rite of passage.  I guess i messed it up for myself with having such a severe case of altoholism.  who knows. 

• robgyorgyrobgyorgy Member Posts: 105

i have been playing wow for 4 years now. I quit about 6 months ago due to boredom and i gotta say i was bored out of my mind doing the same thing over and over and over and over again. Wotlk destroyed pvp, pve was nice for a certain time. Honestly if BC would return i would probably resub but the way cata is looking i dont think its a game i wanna take part in.

if anything wow turned out into a game for children rather the the majority of VET players. back in the day if u werent a pver u could enjoy pvp to the fullest, now its worse then pve :S.  heck back in bc pve was much more exciting then now. tiers in different raids and what not. now u just run into Icc and get BIS while rolling with ur face over the keyboard ><

i think thats my story as to why i left/wont go back :S. im probably just looking for somthing new that i havent found yet.

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Because WoW just doesnt hold the magic for me. I left after completing BC expansion and I felt like I had done it all. Sure, there are now 2 expansion...but it doesnt interest me. I want to move forward, not back.

There may not be an MMO beter than WoW at the moment, but that wont stop me from activly searching

• NeikenNeiken Member Posts: 254

My computer not being built yet. And the fact that ive recently found myself un employed again... damnit >.<

• EmergenceEmergence Member Posts: 888

Developing my own multiplayer game.

I don't have time to play WoW when I am spending all of my freetime developing an indie game.

It may be released first as a multiplayer game, but it is quite easy to go from small multiplayer to large multiplayer, to massively multiplayer- it just takes a slow investment of money.

Why is it easy? Because there are different types of massively multiplayer software already developed to fit in with the game engine I will be using.

If being a developer means being quiet, mature, well-spoken, and disconnected from the community, then by all means do me a favor and believe I'm not one.

• 0tter0tter Member UncommonPosts: 226

The real question isn't what keeps vets from returning to WoW.  All that is is an excuse for WoW bashing.  The real question is what keeps players from leaving WoW.  That's WoW's real power, it's ability to retain players.  Most WoW haters will admit they played it for years before deciding "the community is horrible" or "it's a game for kids". 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

There are several reasons for me.
    * I don't want to spend $15 a month right now on a game. It's not that I don't think it's worth it, it's that I don't want to feel like I'm wasting money on days that I'd rather watch a movie.
    * I've gotten tired of the quest and progression mechanics at max level. I did not play Vanilla WoW, but I did level to max level and play at max level for 2 expansions. It's just tiresome.
    * Many of the people I played with aren't playing either for whatever their reasons are.

I'm not going to say I'm not going to play ever again, but I don't feel like playing right now. Maybe later.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Emergence
    Developing my own multiplayer game.
    I don't have time to play WoW when I am spending all of my freetime developing an indie game.

It may be released first as a multiplayer game, but it is quite easy to go from small multiplayer to large multiplayer, to massively multiplayer- it just takes a slow investment of money.
    Why is it easy? Because there are different types of massively multiplayer software already developed to fit in with the game engine I will be using.

Quit posting on these forums and finish yer game already!!!

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• EmergenceEmergence Member Posts: 888

whoops, wrong thread

If being a developer means being quiet, mature, well-spoken, and disconnected from the community, then by all means do me a favor and believe I'm not one.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Bashir

If you are a retired wow vet, what's keeping you from going back to the game?  I won't get into why i may or may not just yet.  I'm curious about other's opinions though

Not sure I'm really the target of your question, since 3 months in 2005 isn't techically a "vet", and I will be coming back to check out Cat.  But here goes...

For me, it's mostly the cartoony high fantasy thing.  but also, I wasn't really feeling the "developing story" behind all the goings on here and there.  So it just felt like grinding quests to get to next level.  Get new gear.  Fight stronger mobs.  grind to next level.  Get new gear.  etc...

Far as the game itself goes, the gameplay feels solid, responsive.  It runs PERFECT with no hitching, and I've generally enjoyed my time playing whenever I've played.

I like LotRO more.  Better community.  Better art.  Better Lore.  Better Story.  Better graphics.  But with the promo Blizzard just did, I picked up all 3 expansions for 55 bucks.  Decided 3 xpacs worth of content for about the price of a new game should make it worth revisiting, even if for only a couple months.