Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character slots. What do YOU think a fair starting number would be?

RoybeRoybe Member UncommonPosts: 420

I think we all can agree that we will not have enough character slots.  In Prohecies the limiting thing was professions, with 6 professions we could only make 4 different professions.  Even though every released addition/expansion with new professions gave us the slots to make one of each we remained 2 slots short unless we purchased those original 2 slots.  In GW2 we have three options for limitation: professions, races, or some arbitrary number decided by AN or NCSoft.  With 40 race/profession combinations available for choosing, what is a fair number of character slots to start the game with?

Someone asked for a poll..so here you go!  (Sorry for not putting it up sooner, noob here!)

Comments

• Elox1Elox1 Member Posts: 211

I think they should include 6 slots like before and for those with alt-itis they can purchase extra slots.  Remember this is not a P2P so they need to recoup costs for those that want to store more data on the servers by making tons of characters.

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

At least 8, one for each profession. Sure, you can't experience every class/race/personality/background combination but I think that for gameplay profession is by far the most important aspect of a char, conversely race probably determines 95% of your story so having one of every profession and one of every race should be the minimum to experience the majority of the game.

Sure, in GW1 (vanilla, that is: just prophecies) we got less slots than professions but we had dual professions so with 3 slots you could still experience all six professions and have a slot free for a pvp character. Now that dual professions and pvp characters are out the above line of thought becomes reasonable imo.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

They only had 4 in the 1st one so 4 wouldnt bother me considering there is no sub fee to play.Heck Fallen Earth only has 4 and it is a subscription game which I guess they are selling extra slots as well in hehe.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

I guess I'm a bit of a conservative, I think 4 is a good number. That's enough for 1 main and 3 alts.

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

2-3 Less than the number of playable classes, if they intend to charge for character slots.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

They should allow unlimited characters, but each character gets progressively smaller as you create more of them.

Edit:
    When you login, all your characters will follow you around offering helpful commentary on what you're doing, or humming your theme song.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672

at LEAST one...

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

• DoktorianDoktorian Member Posts: 131

I feel that they should have 5. One for each race I guess. 8 would be way better but I'd be content with 5. Any less and I wouldn't be too happy...

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I think WoW does it right in allowing 10 max per server.

Basically though, I should be able to make as many characters as there are races and classes in the game.  SOOOO many games fail at this, like EQ2! and Vanguard! 

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Four to six. I'd prefer six, enough for each race and a spare, but wouldn't complain with four to be honest.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• steelrain666steelrain666 Member UncommonPosts: 140

One is good to start

• bennonbennon Member Posts: 21

one slot for each class, doesnt that make sense?

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

one character slot to start with a secaond slot opened by reaching max level on the first and so on

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

I'm not even an alter but, I would love to have 8 slots just to register all the classes onto my account. I would to only have 6 and literally be banned from trying the 7th and 8th classes without deleting one.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• F2PMMOF2PMMO Member UncommonPosts: 122

Given the possibility of combinations being 40(race x professions), with 10 slots you would only be able to try out 1/4 of all combinations, think of that. I guess it will be more realistic with 6 - 8 slots, and they know people like me will purchase more slots as the game progresses. They are right, and I will have at least 10 different characters in this game, as it is sketched out now with all its variations of the characters personal story etc.

When I finally get to experience the game it may be a different story, but for now 10 slots for me.

• TuhtleSoupTuhtleSoup Member UncommonPosts: 10

They'll probably give us 4 to start. Due to the game not being P2P they need to get some income some way to maintain the servers. I personally am fine with 4 since I'm not making that many characters to start. Definately a Human Warrior and maybe a Sylvari Ranger. But, I will probably only play on a Warrior class until I max level.

• ThanosxpThanosxp Member UncommonPosts: 177

Originally posted by xephonics

at LEAST one...

I agree with this reasonable man

• RynneRynne Member UncommonPosts: 497

In most games I always make one character (warrior type focused on physical attacks) and get him to max level, but some people I know tend to make 3-4 alts and try them out because they don't lean towards a specific archetype, they play different chars in different MMOs. I know it's B2P and they have to make money in some other way other than the initial purchase but I believe we could do with a few character slots. Just my 2 cents

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

Actualy make a game were your toon is not one class.... that would be fun... FFXI did it and I thought it was one of the best features. soo sick of.. I'm a mage and I can never ever heal.. If I heal I will combust into flames and die in seconds...

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I think six is fair.  You get plenty of variety to start with and it almost rolls out a red carpet to altaholics to pick up those remaining two slots for a full deck of professions.  Personally, I'm likely to buy the game twice and create a second account anyway, so I'm not too concerned about starting slots.  If it's at least four, I'm well set.

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422

Originally posted by Serenes

Actualy make a game were your toon is not one class.... that would be fun... FFXI did it and I thought it was one of the best features. soo sick of.. I'm a mage and I can never ever heal.. If I heal I will combust into flames and die in seconds...

Depending on element your mage will be able to heal tank dps etc. 

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

at least 5, anything less would be pretty disappointing.

• xcarnifexxcarnifex Member UncommonPosts: 36

Depends if it's per server or per account.  And I find that I care more about character slots when the game has a least that many classes to play.

For instance if a game has 6 classes?  I want 6 character slots.  If it has combo setup that makes sense to have multiple variations of the class?  Then I'd want a few more...like 10.

At MINIMUM it should have half as many character slots as it has classes, and I would be disappointed if they only did that.  So 75% or more of the number of classes, would be tolerable but not ideal.

If it's per server then lower is OK, if it's per account, then I expect more.

I argue for more slots because, it never fails that I pick a main and at some point in the future a patch, new release, or overabundance of that class make it un-rewarding to play that main anymore.  And the cycle continues  over and over, until you are back to your original to start over again.  I don't like having to consider deleting characters especially when they have large time investments in them.  If I think I'll have to delete characters to enjoy myself in the future, I would almost rather not play in the first place..it bothers me that much.

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

2-3 is probably plenty.

[object Window]

Seems like extra slots are a good candidate for the cash shop...

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

5 Races = 5 stories; 8 Professions = 8 playstyles; PvE, x3 PvP = 4 game modes. Seems a ton of alts could be needed esp. if PvP is fun in it's own right (combat).

PvE will be the emphasis, so guessing 5 slots with your b2p would make sense to start with?

Edit: Each a/c is tied to a particular server... don't know if that makes a difference as you should be able to hop servers was also mentioned by anet?