Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Vanguard still have a future??

Comments

• sixscotsixscot Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by BioNut

Why play Vanguard when you can play its remake. I believe the game is called Rift.

Not even close.

• rmasonrmason Member Posts: 140

I think the only way this game has any hope at all is if they do a re-release as a F2P.

Only problem with that is I doubt they will invest the man power needed to make a transition.

All they would need for cash shop would be exp boost items for crafting/diplo/adventuring, deco items, and deco mounts.

They would make a killing doing that.  As long as they steer clear of how they did EQX. That heaping pile of a crap excuse for a "f2p" game is ridiculous.

Edit: EQ2 is not a bad game. The way they did the f2p is terrible. It is pretty much a severely limiting extended trial.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Originally posted by Shoju

Originally posted by Adamantine

Please name one MMO that is better than Vanguard.

Essentially every MMO that has a development team and uses the subscriptions that is players pay each month for ongoing development is better than Vanguard.  The gameplay may not always be better, but at least the companies behind those games are still working to provide the best product they can for their customers.  The same cannot be said for Vanguard.

For the better part of a year, Vanguard players have been paying $14.99/month to have someone come in on their lunch break and flip the switch to turn holiday events on/off and to reboot the servers every now and then.  But at least your money is being put to good use to help with funding the development of new games for SOE (EverQuest Next etc.), and for that I thank you.

For people who like Vanguard I'd suggest EQ1 really.  VG was based off EQ1, at least that's what Brad wanted initially before changes occurred.  It makes sense to play a game that VG was based off of.  No you won't have flying mounts, you won't have as pretty of graphics, but the game gets 1 expansion a year and receives monthly patches.   It has more content than you can chew, and you know it isn't going anywhere because for an 11 year old game, it's still very popular even compared to newer MMO's.  You know something's wrong with your game when an 11 year old game has 12 more servers with each server being more populated than the single US server Vanguard has left.  Truth hurts but really, SOE has done everything they could to tell you they aren't going to go further with VG but it's the playerbase that have fantasies about further development.

If you want flying mounts and prettier graphics try EQ2, although EQ2 was never my cup of tea and VG definitely did not take much from EQ2.  EQ2 is a solid game, and it is SOE's current flagship.  But I don't think it'll satisfy Vanguard players, I know, because I was a hardcore VG fanboy.

EQ1 is where you want to be for the old school gameplay + nostalgia + content + more open world zones and dungeons.  Buying latest expansion flags you for all 17 so it's easier to come back to EQ1 than you think.  Good luck, especially to those that still think VG has a future  image

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• ArnuphisArnuphis Member Posts: 103

Why play Vanguard when you can play its remake. I believe the game is called Rift.

Is RIFT going to have Diplomacy, Ships to sail the world with, huge open game world  and Blood Mages? Sign me up! 

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Originally posted by sixscot

Not even close.

I doubt we ll ever see anything close. Games are getting dumber and smaller. Telon will always be one of the biggest, deepest and most inmersive virtual worlds ever created...

Unless new games start using this "procedure generated content" that Infinity (not even on Alpha yet) will.

• brett7018brett7018 Member UncommonPosts: 181

no

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I had hopes for  a yet unreleased game.Those hopes now are looking for a new focus. I curently play DAOC( I love rvr) which is down to one server,minimal support, and a broken website.I have played VG on a number of occassions and remember the experiences with some joy and some bitterness.So I have tuned into this discussion to see whats going on.

My fondest VG memories....I visited some some guild halls decorated for Christmas.What I saw in some just took my breath away.STUNNING is an understatement for what I saw.So...what's the pulse of the game today ? I may just want to come back.

• crosscountrycrosscountry Member UncommonPosts: 33

Rift and Vanguard are different types of games. 

• Artymus77Artymus77 Member Posts: 140

holy crap i didnt know that vanguard still existed lol

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Vanguard didnt have a future when it released in 2007, and its future is the same...wait it ended 3 years ago.  Really, it depends on what your or someone elses measure if succcess is.  The measure used to be consistently subscribed player-base, but that mark or measurement has changed by mmorpg appologist standards.

Vanguard...like DAOC has a hard core group of followers.Each appears to want to stay until they turn out the lights.Until then..enjoy.There are no alternatives to those two tattered gems.

• shal.ffxishal.ffxi Member Posts: 115

FFXI beats VG hands down. Tried VG during lauch and what you get is BUGS... worst game ever.

• skyrakerskyraker Member UncommonPosts: 11

Originally posted by shal.ffxi

FFXI beats VG hands down. Tried VG during lauch and what you get is BUGS... worst game ever.

You obviously didn't play long, or during beta, because most people knew that the launch version was about 4 versions behind the last beta version. They had set the gold version before realizing how buggy it was. But, it was the perception of it being buggy that led to the first mass cancellations. By the time everything was caught up and the most serious bugs gone, there were a lot fewer people playing.

And, because it is still around, it cannot be the worst game ever. Heck, I'd still place it above Auto Assault (talk about a game rushed way too quickly).

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

I wonder if you would consider FFXIV in the same category of VG.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Not even close.

^ this.

Vanguard's future is to play it while it is stil around. Short of someone else purchasing it, that is what we have.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by Sovrath

Not even close.

^ this.

Vanguard's future is to play it while it is stil around. Short of someone else purchasing it, that is what we have.

Well said.Life has no guarantees....just like games.Enjoy today...tomorrow is just a promise,

• shal.ffxishal.ffxi Member Posts: 115

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

I wonder if you would consider FFXIV in the same category of VG.

Nope. I enjoyed playing ff14.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I wish it would last, but I highly doubt it will last even 6 more months. It's running on no devs, the game is not being worked on at all, and the community is slowly dwindling. It was a high hope for everyone to get everyone to come back, but that doesn't work, once a game is dying, there is hardly any chance it will bounce back, since most people already gave up on it and will not try it again.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I think its up to Sony on whether VG has a future or not..

People arent going to give it the time of day due to two major problems.

1.Low pop - No one to play with when lots of quests/content require groups.Most of the people that play are at end game.

2.The game doesnt justify its monthly fee.Sony does absolutely zilch with this game,no patches,no new content....nothing.

If they were to make Vanguard F2P at this point,it would be much better off.

Originally posted by Sovrath

Not even close.

^ this.

Well, Rift won't have the depth that VG has. However, if you are a VG player and you want to move somewhere else, Rift is anyway your best bet. Actually, there's a thread in the Rift forums about VG players moving in, and that hread is growing really fast. There are also threads about Rift in the VG forums.

Some of the leading VG guilds, like Xanadu, are planning the exodus. 

When the VG's plug is finally pulled off, I expect plenty of Vanguard veterans coming to Rift, which is great news for this game, becouse Vanguard's community is, simply put, awesomely awesome.

I personally loved Vanguard, and I keep looking for a game with that complexity and inmersion, but there's a limit to the amount of buggy encounters I can endure. Unfortunately, VG may not be dead yet, but it is agonizing anyway. 

• ObiganObigan Member Posts: 68

Why does people think Rift would be  like VG is beyond me,  It is very themepark. Quest hub based. with a little new twist to it.

Vangaurd has alot more to it, but sadly yeah.

Im just saying, dont go chase RIFT excpecting something similar to VG or better.  you might be a bit dissapointed, Unless you dont mind games like Lotro/war/wow somewhat, feels close 2 em.

Man, nothing will be like VG, specially with the direction the MMO scenario has taken lately. I bet VG players are well aware of that. But, if you had to choose a new game, where would you go? As I see it, options are going back to EQ2 or trying Rift.

• xcarnifexxcarnifex Member UncommonPosts: 36

Vanguard was a non-forgiving game that had limited travel ability and launched with LOADS of bugs.    And my opinion the most damaging of those bugs was duping, I seriously doubt they dealt with the duping in a satisfactory manner to bring some balance back in the economy.  But the one that drove people away was the crashing.  It was nothing short of insulting to spend hours playing, crash, die and have nothing to show for your time.

With that kind of uncompromising system, all of the hype and the huge backlash that hype got them for releasing a buggy product... I highly doubt anything anyone says in reviews is going to change people's minds.  Their only hope would be to change the games name and "re-release" it in a much improved state.  It had promise, no doubt.  But everyone got McQuaided (lied to profusely) at the start, and that's hard to recover from because it's pretty damn insulting.

The thing I remember most about the game, which is kind of sad if you think about it...is the bard's song compositon ability...mixing your song to be cover all or really good was something pretty awesome. 

Their little noob-start-test zone they have now does not at all show any improvements they made to the world if you're an old school player who wants to give it a chance but ain't going to pay to be let down.  So I think they made a pretty hefty mistake there creating a little caged off area that doesn't demonstrate issues they've fixed to anyone who left in in disgust months after it's release.

And I have to make this observation:  Games that launch like this game launched deserve to fail.  It is an insult the way a lot of MMOs release given how long the genre has been out now.  If you release in tihs broken of a state, you are doing no one a favor...not your customer, not your company, not the genre.  Get it as close to right as possible, don't release a game so broken you can't reasonably fix all of it's severe problems in a month, and the majority of it's problems in 3 months.  And you sure as hell better have it worked out 6 months later.  If it's a year later and it's still very broken, you deserve your fate.  I hope one day they make "lemon laws" for software, that'd solve a lot of wasted CDs, boxes and save a lot of headaches.

• ObiganObigan Member Posts: 68

Originally posted by gordiflu

Man, nothing will be like VG, specially with the direction the MMO scenario has taken lately. I bet VG players are well aware of that. But, if you had to choose a new game, where would you go? As I see it, options are going back to EQ2 or trying Rift.

if you put it that way,  you are right.  I tried going backward, I went and  free triald, subscribed and  revisited alot of the old games I have played. I beat shitload of single player games. I did everything I can possibily think of.  Only thing that  left for me is to go and try WoW for the fuck of it.  There is like nothing anymore, Its like I have truly lost interest in any MMO out there now. Just nothing holds me more than few days.  so the only way I find it is going forward.  Rift > Tera > SWTOR > GW2  etc.

and to be honest,  RIFT  is interesting, but It did not surprise me much,still feels like been there, done that. so im just gona use it as a step stone to hit TERA, unless it proves otherwise, I gota see.  because so far i got no idea how it is at end game etc.

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700

Originally posted by Obigan

Why does people think Rift would be  like VG is beyond me,  It is very themepark. Quest hub based. with a little new twist to it.

Vangaurd has alot more to it, but sadly yeah.

Im just saying, dont go chase RIFT excpecting something similar to VG or better.  you might be a bit dissapointed, Unless you dont mind games like Lotro/war/wow somewhat, feels close 2 em.

Umm, VG was very themepark, and definitely quest hub based.