Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EvE PvP is care bear...please read.

Comments

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

Originally posted by cosy

Originally posted by neorandom

heres hoping jumpgate evolution comes out 

that game is a joke also is F2P

http://us.jumpgateevolution.com/

i dont see anything in the forums or main page about it being a joke or f2p, but i see lots of vids and screens of dogfighitng

perhaps you are disgruntled because they dont appear to be orbiting at set ranges and setting their 8 weapons to auto fire?

• AzzatakyAzzataky Member UncommonPosts: 208

i dont see anything in the forums or main page about it being a joke or f2p, but i see lots of vids and screens of dogfighitng

perhaps you are disgruntled because they dont appear to be orbiting at set ranges and setting their 8 weapons to auto fire?

Neo you are WoW player who never tried EvE or am I wrong?

Played: Lineage 2,Guild Wars 1 and 2, Age of Conan, Ragnarok Online, LOTRO, World of Warcraft, League of Legends, EvE online
    Tried: KAL Online, Face of Mankind, ROSE online
    Playing: CS:GO

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

Originally posted by Azzataky

Whether he played or not, he pretty much summed up the combat experience. I'm sure sometimes it gets a bit more complicated. Like when your energy is running down and you have to toggle off some of your fittings, but he still pretty much nailed it.

I don't hate Eve by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, I'm vehementally trying to get the Xsyon developers to make their skill system, conquest system, progressive safe-zone system, equipment, and economy more "Eve-like," but the combat in Eve is so boring.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

Originally posted by mrcalhou

Whether he played or not, he pretty much summed up the combat experience. I'm sure sometimes it gets a bit more complicated. Like when your energy is running down and you have to toggle off some of your fittings, but he still pretty much nailed it.

I don't hate Eve by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, I'm vehementally trying to get the Xsyon developers to make their skill system, conquest system, progressive safe-zone system, equipment, and economy more "Eve-like," but the combat in Eve is so boring.

Its same with WoW vs GW, lot of WoW players told me that GW has no action at PvP cause you have only 8 skills and one of em is ressurection. Not true, GW needs a lot more cooperation than WoW. Where Im going with that? EvE is more tactical than other games, most fantasy mmo are just click fest. And yea its also about using right skills but mostly there is always one good strategy against certain enemy class so you push "only right" buttons.

Played: Lineage 2,Guild Wars 1 and 2, Age of Conan, Ragnarok Online, LOTRO, World of Warcraft, League of Legends, EvE online

Its same with WoW vs GW, lot of WoW players told me that GW has no action at PvP cause you have only 8 skills and one of em is ressurection. Not true, GW needs a lot more cooperation than WoW. Where Im going with that? EvE is more tactical than other games, most fantasy mmo are just click fest. And yea its also about using right skills but mostly there is always one good strategy against certain enemy class so you push "only right" buttons.

starfleet bridge commander player, now theres a game that nailed space combat

also mech warrior 3 pvper, a good instance of a pvp game where you had limited weapons loadout and choosing when to fire what made all the difference in the world

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

Oh Lordy are you going to be disappointed with that catastrophe.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Oh right.. so your NOT in 0.0 ?

I suppose your comments are somewhat correct if you are refering to low sec.   The main reason is because 0.0 pvp is about conquering territory, retaining and defending that territory.   You can't physically own space in low-sec and thats why it is rather care-bear ish

Additionally, when you are in 0.0 and your a fleet commander where your fleet has several hundred pilots I'm certain you can appreciate that the physical logistics behind directing such a large amount of players across many star systems and including hundreds of different ship types and fittings is extremly difficult, nothing like organising 20-30 people in an rpg.

Not to mention organising industrial logistics to supply such a war with materials to re-build ships and space stations.

And then you have to be extremly secretive since spies are a very real problem, spies and turn-coats can destory alliances of thousands of players.

Nothing I mention above is anything remotly like pvp in WoW.

But hey, well done for what you've done so far, sounds like you've acheived way more than most do.   There are plenty of alliances and corps in 0.0 that will take on new pilots, but you cant expect to join the best alliances straight away, you have to work your way up.  and thats not so much about Skill points but experience.

Originally posted by sadeyx

Oh right.. so your NOT in 0.0 ?

I suppose your comments are somewhat correct if you are refering to low sec.   The main reason is because 0.0 pvp is about conquering territory, retaining and defending that territory.   You can't physically own space in low-sec and thats why it is rather care-bear ish

Additionally, when you are in 0.0 and your a fleet commander where your fleet has several hundred pilots I'm certain you can appreciate that the physical logistics behind directing such a large amount of players across many star systems and including hundreds of different ship types and fittings is extremly difficult, nothing like organising 20-30 people in an rpg.

Not to mention organising industrial logistics to supply such a war with materials to re-build ships and space stations.

And then you have to be extremly secretive since spies are a very real problem, spies and turn-coats can destory alliances of thousands of players.

Nothing I mention above is anything remotly like pvp in WoW.

But hey, well done for what you've done so far, sounds like you've acheived way more than most do.   There are plenty of alliances and corps in 0.0 that will take on new pilots, but you cant expect to join the best alliances straight away, you have to work your way up.  and thats not so much about Skill points but experience.

thats the thing eve had going for it, the actual intrigue and scale of combat, if only they had made actually fighting in a ship fun!

just having the combat be something other then a spreadsheet in space would have been a huge improvement, weapons with limited fireing arcs, ships beneftitting from carrying cannons lasers and missiles/torps, the ability to target shield emmitters or engines or weapon mounts to disable them during the fight to gain the upper hand, ect ect, something real time space combatty, rather then open up the spreadsheet wait 20 mins and see whos tank broke first during auto attack fest 09.

thats the thing eve had going for it, the actual intrigue and scale of combat, if only they had made actually fighting in a ship fun!

Well, its not really a game for 'fun'.   If I want fun I jump onto my FW alt and do the low-sec pvp to which the op refers to,  but thats limited and gets boring, there is no sense of acheivment to be had really.

Thats why low-sec has pirates..  because for some 'fun' means avoiding challenging and skillful combat and instead preying on weak players.

0.0 pvp combat is not 'fun' as you say,  its a different kind of enjoyment, there is no quick adrenaline buzz, its a measured, long term war.  A battle of wits, leadership and cunning.  Its a serious affair where your looking after the interests of hundreds maybe thousands pf players.

Its not fun, its down right ugly and dirty and definatly not for any thrill-seeking person.

Originally posted by sadeyx

Well, its not really a game for 'fun'.   If I want fun I jump onto my FW alt and do the low-sec pvp to which the op refers to,  but thats limited and gets boring, there is no sense of acheivment to be had really.

Thats why low-sec has pirates..  because for some 'fun' means avoiding challenging and skillful combat and instead preying on weak players.

0.0 pvp combat is not 'fun' as you say,  its a different kind of enjoyment, there is no quick adrenaline buzz, its a measured, long term war.  A battle of wits, leadership and cunning.  Its a serious affair where your looking after the interests of hundreds maybe thousands pf players.

Its not fun, its down right ugly and dirty and definatly not for any thrill-seeking person.

well see theres our problem, i play games for fun, you play like those people that memorize every chess mover ever made to play chess against other people that memorized every move ever made, and nobody has any fun!  im not sure why yould want to do that but meh, i dont care in the end!

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

just having the combat be something other then a spreadsheet in space would have been a huge improvement, weapons with limited fireing arcs, ships beneftitting from carrying cannons lasers and missiles/torps, the ability to target shield emmitters or engines or weapon mounts to disable them during the fight to gain the upper hand, ect ect, something real time space combatty, rather then open up the spreadsheet wait 20 mins and see whos tank broke first during auto attack fest 09.

Ah the old 'spreadhseet in space' anaolgy, that chestnut never gets old. Tbh given it's a space simulator and people are often flying about in (what would be) massive ships having twitch flight would look and feel stupid. Besides there is a multitude of options and factors to take into consideration in EVE combat/flight, it's not simply click lock and function keys.

Frankly it is good that not every mmo takes exactly the same approach to combat mechanisms. I like twitch, but sometimes I like the approach EVE takes as well and i'm grateful it offers it.

@OP, I fail to see how a game with ffa pvp, high risk mechanics and a nullsec system which you yourself claim requires advanced characters and/or muchos ISK to even have a chance without getting destroyed is 'carebear'. Oh and the reason people station/gate hug is because they know everyone is a potential threat, furthermore it is not only people into pvp who can get killed. Hence your last idea (in your EDIT) is not going to fly with haulers and miners and the like as it would be turkey shoot time.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

Originally posted by Robokapp

I'll need a link to this spreadsheet...not using one must be why I'm sucking at pvp.

Yea, if your not using a spreadsheet then you definatly will suck.  lol

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

You realize there are dozens of modules that do all sorts of different stuff, ECM, Target Painters, Neuts, Transfers, Webs, Scrams, etc etc right?  You understand transversal, explosion radius, optimal/fallout ranges and how actually flying your ship relates to all those things, right?

Seems to me you ran a level 1 mission and came to the conclusion that all you do is orbit and press F1-F5.  It makes you sound really stupid to anyone that actually played the game longer than a day.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

All I can say to this thread is....LOL

This is not a game.

• kattehuskattehus Member UncommonPosts: 375

I'm amazed. 40 replies and not a single one recommending FW? Wow.

Also, "war" (and combat) in Eve is all about being prepared. If that means having superior numbers, why not?

Also, did you do pvp-runs, where you flew around lowsec, looking for a fight? It sounds like you sat in station, waiting for someone to smacktalk and wardec.

I've been a member of a corp that did 0.0 ops relativly regularily, always a ton of fun. Of course, none of us stood to loose much (BC was the biggest ship), but a lot of the time, the alliance we met showed up with equal force. Mostly because they knew we were just looking for some fights. Some of the time we won, others we lost.

If you're too scared of 0.0, take a look at factional warfare. I hear it's fun.

Or you could try "Red vs Blue". Tons of fights there.

Edit:

Oh, also, I play Eve for fun. It's the only mmo I play.

|< I 1 1 I |\| 6 _ Z 0 |\/| 8 I 3 5 _ 5 I |\| C 3 _ 1 9 9 0
    -Actively playing Eve.
    Follow my tweet (:

well see theres our problem, i play games for fun, you play like those people that memorize every chess mover ever made to play chess against other people that memorized every move ever made, and nobody has any fun!  im not sure why yould want to do that but meh, i dont care in the end!

oh I completly agree!  I dont play Eve if I want to have fun,  I'll use one of my many many other mmo accounts for that.

Most Eve players almost always have a second game they are playing, usually an fps shooter.  

Im not going to try and convince anyone that they should learn to love Eve at all, its definatly not for everone, and for the most part its nor for me either,  but every now and then I like to be involved in epic week-long battles to defend a system or to attack.  y'know, something that has more meaning to it than a brawl that ultimatly doesnt change anything.

• WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501

The spreadsheet type of combat in eve, is one of necesity.  I think most would love to be able to play a twitch based space sim where aim and line of sight mattered.

But I dont see that happening anytime soon on a massive scale. Its tough enough to do the spreadsheet style without getting lag and desync.

That being said, there is still skill involved in fighting in eve. Especially in small scale battles.

Moving closer to tackle.

Pulling away to avoid damage. Or getting closer to get under their guns.

Recalling drones when they get targeted.

Switching targets to bypass remote repping, or to repair the target they switched to.

Though in general smaller ships require more skill and attention. Interceptors for instance arent just: Orbit and activate point. It takes skill to get to the target in one piece. And stealth Bombers need alignment and aim to put its bomb on target. So if you want more excitement and twitching.. go cheap and specialize.

But most things in eve use a different part of the brain than other games do. Everything takes more planning and time. And so, when some highsec rube tries for some pvp the first time they get blasted to smithereens.

And its true that in some ways eve is 2 games. maybe even 3. On one hand you have highsec people farming missions and mining and doing PI  or trading or whatever. And on the other you have null sec where you have massive alliances battling over territory.

And while it might not be perfect its in my mind better than complete FFA everywhere. There is no great fear of virtual death, especially not since you will respawn. Even with permadeath in a game, you could always make a new character, (if you didnt quit, leaving the game with one less sub). And with out the fear of death there is very little to stop everyone from doing extremly immoral things like killing all the newbies over and over. Even UO and MO have guards.

And contrary to what some say about high sec, its not safe space. Its "safer" than low and null sec for sure. But you can still be killed there. Its just rarely cost effective to attack others there.

And while it sucks know that you could kill this wartarget if only he would fight. Its would be even worse to know that you had no chance of surviving that fleet of ships waiting for you outside. Try "offering" a "fair" fight by not flying around in a blob. Try baiting them to come after your hauler or miner ( that has a tank and a point) and then attack them in force. Or go to wormholes where you wont show up on local. Or attempt to bust a gatecamp in lowsec.. Or bait some low sec pirates into a fight by sending in a lone ship first. Plenty of ways to end up in a fight in eve, even if there are plenty of ways to avoid them too.

• hanshotfirsthanshotfirst Member UncommonPosts: 712

So to sum up...

"Eve PvP is care bear 'cause I can't gank anyone and everyone with my Rifter, n00b corp and 800k skill points." 

• WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501

Originally posted by hanshotfirst

So to sum up...

"Eve PvP is care bear 'cause I can't gank anyone and everyone with my Rifter, n00b corp and 800k skill points." 

perhaps not alone, but a duo of those can kill loads of shit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3riWfJ7CC-I

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Ramonski7

Originally posted by grimfall

Originally posted by DevilXaphan

Originally posted by Jetrpg

Originally posted by gauge2k3

To add even more perspective, even WoW world PvP is more hardcore.

You run into a town?  Guy gets some friends, tanks the guards and kills you anyways.  There is no get out of jail free card when you are out and about in the world.  No stargate to freedom.

I dunno.  Like I said, maybe I'm just not seeing it.

Remember that time you lost $10,000 playing WoW?  Me neither.

Remember when you lost $10,000 playing eve? Me neither.

What was the point of this?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-11-eve-player-loses-30-billion-isk

Do I really need to explain the difference between that and getting your player  killed in WoW and losing nothing?

And you do know before he lost that ship he made the isk to cover that loss twice over, so not really a big loss for him.

Remeber that time in WoW you had a PVP death that stripped away 33% of your armor and bank savings... me neither.

I don't play Eve, I find it dreadfully boring, but any PVP game with full loot rules is going to be more hardcore than WoW or any other game where the only consequence of death is maybe a 3 minute run, and a lowering in some ranking.

How can it be hardcore when the common consensus among EvE players is ships mean nothing and player skills is where it's at. Besides there are umpteen guides available for players to avoid such a loss in the first place.

The fact that EVE players appear to be better at preparing and planning ahead than most other MMO gamers does not negate the level of risk and consequence present in the game.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Yo!! op! Fail less...

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

starfleet bridge commander player, now theres a game that nailed space combat

also mech warrior 3 pvper, a good instance of a pvp game where you had limited weapons loadout and choosing when to fire what made all the difference in the world

Y i agree with you that mechwarrior is cool but you are moving by keyboard not by mouse so its different. And Bridge Commander? I played only demo like gzilion times. That game as you say is realy a master of space combat but making such a combat for single or mmo is a difference.

• KomandorKomandor Member Posts: 272

Originally posted by gauge2k3

To add even more perspective, even WoW world PvP is more hardcore.

You run into a town?  Guy gets some friends, tanks the guards and kills you anyways.  There is no get out of jail free card when you are out and about in the world.  No stargate to freedom.

I dunno.  Like I said, maybe I'm just not seeing it.

LOL NO. You can't even loot other players in WoW. WoW is carebear as hell.

Keep on rockin'!image

• EridanixEridanix Member Posts: 426

I've been playing MO for a while, and Darkfall which is a pretty good game, but naming WoW as a contender in PvP with EVE is absurd, and ridiculous. I love EVE but it's the most hardcore game I know of. Once I lost 8M isk in one encounter against to Gate campers... It was my fault, I failed, and the punishment was hard. In EVE there is no mercy.

(I lost my ship and all its modules too, that were expensive)

It is a question of fangs.