Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

question! help!

timmy12timmy12 Member UncommonPosts: 390

OK so im at my friends house playing WoW on his computer....and hes running the game a lot smoother than i am and i have a better video card than him, but im not sure if my pros is better or not. He has his WoW settings on good with shadows and everything and i dont have shadows.....he'll be in like a area with 60fps constint rarely goes down and when i go to the same area i get like 30-40 fps.

his specs

Proc- AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor

Video card- GeForce 9800 GTX+

Ram- 4.0gbz

OS- Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

My Specs

Proc- Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600

Video card- Geforce gtx 460

Ram- 4.0gbz

OS- Windows 7 ultimate 64bit

So should my WoW be lagging that much or is my computer that bad and its reasonable for my computer to lag like that?

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Whose processor is better will vary from one program to another.  On average, his is a bit better.

It's likely an issue as simple as you having turned up graphical settings higher than he has.

• zereelistzereelist Member Posts: 373

Are you are running the game at higher resolution than him with a bigger monitor?

• timmy12timmy12 Member UncommonPosts: 390

nope we both have 24' monitors running at 1920x1080 and  im running lower settings than him

Have you really checked every single setting to make sure that you don't have any settings at all set higher than he does?

You can check your CPU and GPU load to see what your bottleneck is, which should give a better idea of what the problem is.  Another thing you could try is setting everything to minimum graphical settings and seeing if you get a steady 60 frames per second or not.

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

What are you running in the background? Ctrl-Alt-Delete and look

well all i have in the background is skype and xfire thats it......but i checked my friends setting and are settings are like the same but his are a lil higher 

EDIT: made edits

• swing848swing848 Member UncommonPosts: 292

Exactly what area, map, or city are you comparing frames per second?

WoW can make use of faster CPUs, so, if your power supply and CPU cooler are up to the task, try overclocking a little then check FPS again.

Still, let us know what area in the game you are referring to for FPS comparison.

Intel Core i7 7700K, MB is Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
    SSD x2, 4TB WD Black HHD, 32GB RAM, MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE video card

well like in bgs he'll get 60 fps non stop and then i wouldnt, then when we go to dalaran his computer just looks like its running smoother while mine just lags 

Try an internet speed test, do it a few times and average your speeds.  Note that at different time of day these numbers will change.  You might want to run these tests again during the hours that you game.

http://www.watchtv.net/speedtest/

Some problem areas may be:

You have an internet ISP problem

Modem problem

NIC problem

CAT cable problem, or, connection problem [power off the computer and modem, unplug them, disconnect reconnect CAT cable several times at computer and modem].

Slow system RAM timing

Weak power supply

Too much clutter not cleaned out of the OS [MS Windows].  CCleaner is good, and free [google it for download].  NetEraser is better, but you have to pay for it.  You can download NetEraser and see how much trash is left behind on your PC, but it will not let you clean up the mess until you purchase it.

Check your computer for a virus.

Are some programs allowed to update when they want to?

Defrag the hard drive often.

Overclock your CPU a little if your power supply is of good quality, which it should be even without overclock.

Note, the above are a just a few things to consider and check, however, it is a beginning.

Obviously I make an effort to keep my computer [program] clean and use high quality components, otherwise I could not have made the above statement.

This is a link that should help you with the importance of just CPU speed and sub systems speed regarding WoW http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3918885#3918885

However, my above post is very important.

well idk do u have like msn or aim/skype/xfire we could talk? would help me a lot more. But all i know is that my power supply was the one that came with my case that i bought like 2 years ago lol and my ram is semi good

What anti-aliasing are you and your friend using?  Not merely what degree (2x, 4x, etc.), but also what type?  A GeForce GTX 460 supports some options that a GeForce 9800 GTX+ doesn't.

If you don't know what power supply you're using, you can find out by opening up the case and reading the label.  That shouldn't cause frame rate drops unless it's causing overheating, though.  A bad power supply is more likely to cause crashing and dead hardware.

lol ok well um ya its prolly not my power supply and were using 4x as

It's just just a question of 4x.  What type of anti-aliasing?  There's an enormous difference in the performance hit between MSAA and SSAA, for example.  That could account for the difference in performance by itself.

Also, you said you're using a GTX 460.  There are at least four different cards that go by that name, not counting factory overclocked versions or different board manufacturers as different.  Which one do you have?  If you don't know, then find the clock speed, memory capacity, and number of shaders, and that will answer the question.

well i have  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130568 that one lmfao and its better than a 9800+ but on my wow settings its 4x a

That still doesn't answer the question of what type of anti-aliasing you're using.  I tell you what, try turning off anti-aliasing entirely and see if that fixes the problem.

well there is no option for that i was looking at anisotropic 4x idk what that is 

Anisotropic filtering is something totally different, and doesn't bring nearly as big of a performance hit as anti-aliasing.  If you don't know what your video settings are, then find out.  There's not much we can do to help you here if you don't.  Your problem is most likely as simple as your turning video settings higher than your friend does.

but are setting are the same so idk how turning it higher will make my performance better

You don't even know what your own settings are, let alone whether your friend has the same settings.  Find out.

i just said twice my friend and i have the same SETTINGS on world of warcraft everything is the same

If you don't know what your own settings are, then how can you possibly know that your friend has exactly the same settings?  And if you do know what your own settings are, then why won't you say what they are?

Im at his house......like i said we have the same settings on wow...ok?

plus wtf u talking about settings on my computer or on wow cuz i ur not making any sense

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

To me it seems like you are having a lot of background junk stealing memory and processor power from your computer. Either that or you don't have the same settings at all.

Get easycleaner or similar program to clear out the junk. Take away all programs you don't must have at startup. Clear the register. Defrag the harddrive. Always have 5% of the harddrive space free.

Also have the latest graphics drivers.

If you still have less juice out of your computer it seems to me that you have some hardware issue, like that half your ram isn't working. But I am guessing you just have crappy programs running in the background, that can slow down any computer.

well im using easycleaner right now as we speak and um i think i have the latest drivers ill check....but do u guys think like my motherboard drivers could effect my gameplay? cuz i havent updated those for like ever