Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

worth it or not??

NatoBoyNatoBoy Member Posts: 25
is CoH worth buying?? i havent bought a subscription game before so i was wanting to know what its like. i saw it on a program called cybernet on tv and it looked wicked? is it that good??

Comments

• tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794

Depends.....

You like:

awesome graphics and animations

Cool spells and skills

AWESOME character customization

alot of action and fighting

Then this is the game for you.....its alot of fun and theres alot of action and spells and all....and then eventually you learn either how to run super speeds....or fly and stuff....I really really enjoy this game to me its alot of fun.

BUT!

If you dislike:

Level grinds

and

Not being able to get items yo make your chars look insanely cool and stuff

then don 't get it.....you can make your character look cool from the beggning and everylike I think 15-20 levels or somehting tou can make a new costume...I for got what level tho.....becasue I know you have a total of 5 costumes...

Starting

guild

and 3 you make later.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Info.

Community-Depends....sometimes its good sometimes its bad. depends the server and who is on playing....because sometimes you got those noobs that like to think they are 1337 and stuff and talk all like that.....but if you don't let it get to you and just play its not a problems.

Gameplay-I thought this game was pretty noob friendly....easy to get used to and in the end for me it made the game fun not having to learn 435873094573498 keys and stuff......so to me this was a big plus.

Story(s)-I thought this game had a good story for each of the factions and on all the former/dead heroes...and stuff...like Atlas...paragons greatest hero ever. and hero X with the whole capes idea...

But I will throw in that this game get alittle repetative...but when you think about it...all the monsters and villians are all in the same city...so it makes sense when there is not 34572309276049 types of creatures and villians.

all in all I would give this game and 8 or 9 out of 10.....VERY good.....

---------------------------------------------
    "Everyones life has a beginning and an end, No one can change that."-Hiko

"If you wish to taste the ground, then feel free to attack."-Kenshin Himura

WoW
    -Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
    -Rhalon 81 UD Mage
    -Doneski 85 Orc death knight

• SlntasnSlntasn Member Posts: 711
    You must mean 4 costumes, because thats all you can have per character...

CoH- Protector:
    --------------------------------------------
    Burning Pyro- 50 Fire/ Fire tanker
    Also others 15+
    *Go Supreme Team*

• tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794

you have:

1.) Costume you start with
    2.) super group colors costume
    3-5.) 3 costumes you get to make

Do the math 

WoW
    -Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
    -Rhalon 81 UD Mage
    -Doneski 85 Orc death knight

• OrionStarOrionStar Member Posts: 378

This game is really fun! Worth it! I am going to reactivate my account on this one. Best fun I have had in a MMO. The costumes are real cool. Once you get to lvl 20 in starts to get even better.

• BigfootBigfoot Member Posts: 364

This game is definately worth it. It may get boring after a while, but that is when you make a new hero! ::::02::

Looking for something new.

• NatoBoyNatoBoy Member Posts: 25
    if i were to order this game from america it would make no difference to my gameplaying or it wouldnt jus not work as i am in england would it?
  • AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

If you are a RPG player that like the combats a lot, CoH is the best MMORPG for you ATM, and by FAR! :)

Best MMORPG as far as solo is concerned as well.

- "Solo is, will always be, the main market. A MMORPG that succeed with little or no solo appeal is doing great considering they are ignoring the main player base.''

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• BlackVoidBlackVoid Member Posts: 20
    When I was told about CoH, I was sorta oh'hum about trying it out, then I got in beta for the game and I got hooked.  I've been playing ever since and the game just keeps getting better and better with each new issue that comes out, which btw is free.  I highly recommend it.

• BlastBlast Member Posts: 42
    yeah its good, there are better games around, but plp here is so polite image

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Originally posted by Blast

Better games?  Uh uh!  I disgress if you mean a better MMORPG!  That gang of trash are enforcing THEIR view of high end on everyone, be it PvP, Raiding or tradeskilling, this alone eliminate mostof them!

What a wonderfull feeling to play EQ, DAoC, WoW, EQ2, Horizons or mostly any game out there to reach a point where you NEED to do this lame thing(like raiding) if you want to progress more. No ''high end'' is better then a wrong high end, have no doubts. The later that point is in the character dev the worser the bag of trash that claim to be devs need to be told simply:  ''If you are born without horns, you are born to be scorned!''.  To reach level X and then to be lame pointless piece of trash is not acceptable, if someone reach level X, then by doing activities similar to what they always does to developp more is acceptable, to change and ask them to tradeskill or whatever is a nonsense and they can get lost!  The next you will know they will add a unique item with uber stats, but you will need to vote in the next american federal election to get it, *(&$*%#!

CoH will timidly somewhat enforce grouping a little, almost not!  I am sure PvP will not be enforced when it come live with CoV!  It will be an option, something you can do or ignore at your own convenience and you wont be backward except maybe in PvP if you dont partake!

If you like games that enforce stuff on you, yeah, then you are very well served with those others MMORPGs.  Me I like games that let me do what I like, and CoH outmatch them all on this topic!

- "Solo is, will always be, the main market. A MMORPG that succeed with little or no solo appeal is doing great considering they are ignoring the main player base.''

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

If you like fast-paced combat, don't need PvP or loot, then CoH is for you.

It lacks PvP at the moment, but that will be coming with the expansion.

In my opinion, the one major drawback is the lack of loot. You get buff/health packs and power enhancements, but thats about it.

The best part about CoH, in my opinion, is the grouping. Its so dynamic. Tactics must be adjusted for each group you find, depending on your teammates' archtypes and who you are fighting. I'll tell you, I really look forward to 8 vs. PvP, that will just be all strategy.

Another great part, is the character creation. Yes, the actual customization of your look is legendary, but really, the options you have as far as power sets is ASTOUNDING. You will find yourself just making character after character, having fun exlporing the options.

But if PvP and/or loot stuff is important to you, look elsewhere. Many people have tried the game, and couldn't get around that.

I enjoy the game a lot, it has a real comic book look and feel.

I'd say give it a try! You will find most people to be mature and helpful, barring the usual occasional jerk you find in online games.

And as for the question "worth it or not?", 50 bucks and the monthly fee is glady paid by me in exchange for the fun.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• Nimrod4154Nimrod4154 Member Posts: 864

Originally posted by Anofalye

Originally posted by Blast

Better games?  Uh uh!  I disgress if you mean a better MMORPG!  That gang of trash are enforcing THEIR view of high end on everyone, be it PvP, Raiding or tradeskilling, this alone eliminate mostof them!

What a wonderfull feeling to play EQ, DAoC, WoW, EQ2, Horizons or mostly any game out there to reach a point where you NEED to do this lame thing(like raiding) if you want to progress more. No ''high end'' is better then a wrong high end, have no doubts. The later that point is in the character dev the worser the bag of trash that claim to be devs need to be told simply:  ''If you are born without horns, you are born to be scorned!''.  To reach level X and then to be lame pointless piece of trash is not acceptable, if someone reach level X, then by doing activities similar to what they always does to developp more is acceptable, to change and ask them to tradeskill or whatever is a nonsense and they can get lost!  The next you will know they will add a unique item with uber stats, but you will need to vote in the next american federal election to get it, *(&$*%#!

CoH will timidly somewhat enforce grouping a little, almost not!  I am sure PvP will not be enforced when it come live with CoV!  It will be an option, something you can do or ignore at your own convenience and you wont be backward except maybe in PvP if you dont partake!

If you like games that enforce stuff on you, yeah, then you are very well served with those others MMORPGs.  Me I like games that let me do what I like, and CoH outmatch them all on this topic!

Well please explain what there is to do once you hit 60 in CoH? And then find out what you can do at level 70 on EQ and compare those lists. CoH has no content and speaking of FORCEING thats exactly what it forces is GRIND. The game gets pretty boring as soon as I had hit 15 and got my travel power. The game was really fun for 2 weeks but heh unless you are a huge fan of superheros then i dunno....

Games Played:DoAC, EQ, CoH, Lineage 2, Planetside, Shadowbane, EQ2, EVE, WoW Beta
    Playing:(Waiting to buy WoW)

• SlntasnSlntasn Member Posts: 711

Originally posted by tu_uilwen

you have:
    1.) Costume you start with
    2.) super group colors costume
    3-5.) 3 costumes you get to make
    Do the math 

The Super group Costume is not a different costume. Its just the one (out of 4) that u have on, with the colors changed around 

CoH- Protector:
    Burning Pyro- 50 Fire/ Fire tanker
    Also others 15+
    *Go Supreme Team*

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595

Well. I think City of Heroes is worth it. Right now I find it a lot of fun. Wit update 3 coming in January this will be one of the most updated games and it is quite extensively updated every few months. Once you have reached the lvl cap there is not much do to besides help your friends out or pursue badges. Some of them that are quite hard such as killing the hamidon. Also with issue 3 coming out only players with lvl 50 character will have access to the new archetypes known as Kheldians that are better than almost all the other archetypes. With City of Villains coming out and PVP the game promises to be amazing. However if you like crafting, griding on boring stuff. Then this game is not for you. The game also has some of the most interesting missions. If you like Comic Books then this is for you.

• Nimrod4154Nimrod4154 Member Posts: 864

Originally posted by Fenrir767

Well. I think City of Heroes is worth it. Right now I find it a lot of fun. Wit update 3 coming in January this will be one of the most updated games and it is quite extensively updated every few months. Once you have reached the lvl cap there is not much do to besides help your friends out or pursue badges. Some of them that are quite hard such as killing the hamidon. Also with issue 3 coming out only players with lvl 50 character will have access to the new archetypes known as Kheldians that are better than almost all the other archetypes. With City of Villains coming out and PVP the game promises to be amazing. However if you like crafting, griding on boring stuff. Then this game is not for you. The game also has some of the most interesting missions. If you like Comic Books then this is for you.

Hmm not to flame here but what is there to do in CoH besides grind and get badges? Yes there are quests but they seem very repititve and just seem like grinding to me for the most part.

Games Played:DoAC, EQ, CoH, Lineage 2, Planetside, Shadowbane, EQ2, EVE, WoW Beta
    Playing:(Waiting to buy WoW)

• BlackVoidBlackVoid Member Posts: 20
    To date, I think CoH is still my favorite.  I played Planetside for 16 months and loved it...played WoW through beta, hated it.  It wasn't my cup of tea.  SWG felt like work and EVE, as beautiful looking as it was, just took to long to accomplish anything.  I find CoH over all has a nice balance of things to do. IMHO

• legolas9222legolas9222 Member Posts: 4
    does CoH have good PvP for noobs? PvP is what i really like; and i hated SWG couse you would die really fast on PvP if your a noob

• milhoan6milhoan6 Member CommonPosts: 580
    CoH has no PvP.  There will be PvP when City of Villains is released though, which you can count on being released sometime next yearimage

MMORPG's I've played: Star Wars Galaxies, DAOC, EQ, WW2 Online, Knight Online, Sims Online, Asherons Call 2, and Risk Your Life

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

Originally posted by legolas9222
    does CoH have good PvP for noobs? PvP is what i really like; and i hated SWG couse you would die really fast on PvP if your a noob

It all depends on what you want from PvP.  I hated Lineage II because their PvP was the worst.  Nothing like trying to level and being killed by some 12 yr old.  That game is totally PvP.  SWG is one of the worst games ever.  The only game I hated more is EQ.  I think I just do not like any SOE game.

The only game that I can think of that might be good for PvP and somewhat friendly for a "noob" is Dark Age of Camelot.  They do have a pure PvP server if you want.  Or you can play on the traditional server.  Play one of three realms.  They have battlegrounds starting at level one to go kill the other realms.  You get experience and money for killing them, plus realm points which will give you additional benefits.  And if you die in realm combat you do not loose experience.  The battlegrounds limit players to being around the same level. 

I do not play on the higher populated servers so it might be easier to level doing realm combat on those, but on 2/3 of the servers you will have to spent most of your time doing PvE until level 20 (all those who have a level 50 get free level 20's).  It will probably take you about a week to two weeks to level from 1 to 20 depending on how much time you spend on it.  I just started a new character when the newest expansion came out and have averaged a level about every 1-2 hours. 

I hear mixed reviews about WoW and I am not sure it is noob friendly.  I will tell you that at least for DAOC if you stick to the battlegrounds then you will be fine.

• LadyLLadyL Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I got to do Beta when COH first came out.  I usually play rl type game, tso and There.  But lately COH has been haunting my brain, I keep seeing my heros in my head.  So I am probably going to be asking hubby to reopen my account for x-mas.  It was so much fun. image  Lady L

Well you can make that argument about what there is to do in evert game. I mean in City of Heroes your maind thing is bashing mobs getting badges and completing story arcs which I think is really damn fun its exactly what I want from an MMORPG. I don't want to spend time crafting, grinding crafting, doing virtual fishing, doing virtual dancing and other stuff like that. If that's what you want then fine City of Heroes is not for you. If you want to play a super hero and bash bad guys and go on comic book quests this game is for you. If you want to play something like everquest of SWG then this is not a game for you.

It really all depends on what you consider content. If you consider content having crafting and stuff like that then COH has no content. If your looking for cool stories having fun with friends kicking ass and going on quests to stop super villains and that's what you consider content then City of Heroes is for you. I hate games like Everques and SWG because of all those kill X quests and craft X quests you get. I like how city of heroes combines those sorts of quests with an interesting storylines. Learning all about the circle of thorns and killing the Demon Envoy of Shadows was awesome in my opinion never got to experience so an engaging quests like that in those other games.

• ZordhasZordhas Member Posts: 40

Yeah, CoH is a great game with very few aspects (i way this in a positive way)

You have you character customization which is astonishingly detailed. Then the fighting: you get powers every two levels, and you click em to activated them, and you fight your way through mobs. Its instant action and its fun. You receive no equipment though, only money and one-time items. And the RP rocks I think.

On the other hand, you have no long term goals. By this i mean like skills (crafting) or special abilities or such. You dont have equipment to further the customisation, but that shouldnt be a problem. The landscapes are, well, city.

In the end, my point is, this is a game you dont erally get into, you have instant action yes, but close to no depth. In other games, you may find interesting stories, quests or beatiful lands. not here. Well, of course its a matter of taste. Maybe my description isnt complete, but i hope you get the gist of it.

Wow, this popcorn looks good! I think I'll eat it!

Wow, this popcorn looks good! I think I'll eat it!

This game was made for comic book fans and quite frankly the quests stories and abilities that you get are very much accurate in terms of the comic book world. If your not a comic book fan or want to play a hero they seriously don't play the game its not for you. The quests that I went on in this game in terms of story arcs and task forces were far more interesting then the stories in most mmorpgs. I my opinion. Most super hero's don't craft, don't fish and don't sell there goods. This is a super hero game and frankly it gets it right.

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

Originally posted by Fenrir767
    Well you can make that argument about what there is to do in evert game. I mean in City of Heroes your maind thing is bashing mobs getting badges.

You're a little mistaken in this statement: This isn't CoH's MAIN thing, it's THE ONLY thing you can do. Af far as other games, again just because you don't like to fish, craft etc doesn't mean the other games don't have them. They provide others with something to do besides fight. This is and will probably always be CoH's main downfall. There is NOTHING to do when you aren't feeling destructive. In CoH ALL the quests are "Go beat up________" sure you do it for different reasons, sometimes to stop them from blowing up the world, sometimes to stop them from making drugs, but it's all the same thing.

Sure bashing mobs may really be the only thing to do but that's the Genre. Super Heroes fly around is costumes and kick the crap out of the badguys to solve different evil plots and stop them from carrying out their goals. They hardly ever craft except for a specific reason and then you never see the crafted device like ever again, the hardly ever really do anything else besides try to blend in with Society. Frankly I think they got the game perfect because it fits the genre so well. So if you want more in a game go play another game. This is a super hero game and that's what it delivers. I'll agree that COH needs some stuff like PvP, villains. But really not much more then that or else it's getting beyond what being a super hero is. So if you don't like it then fine this game is clearly not in the genre for you so don't complain about it. Go play something sci-fi or fantasy. All games have their faults and 90% of the faults people complain about here are those that would really take the game away from what its supposed to be about super heroes.

Also all those kill X quests games like SWG, EQ and the rest are filled with them as well.