Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is spring of 2011 a realistic release date?

mesechemeseche Member UncommonPosts: 27

From what i have been able to read and understand Bioware is saying that early 2011 or spring of 2011 is going to be when this game finaly comes out. Historicaly Bioware has taken its time with games and made sure that everything works. My question is are we going to actualy see it come out Q1 2011? I am no expert when it comes to game mechanics and marketing strategy but with the lack of information that we have about the real game mechanics i just dont think that we will be seeing this game come out in just 4-5 months. It has been huge that they finaly told us about the crafting system and how we can gather raw mats to make stuff. Still i just feel that we are going to be lucky if we see it at all in 2011. I understand that bioware wants to make this the best game posible and I really HOPE that they will not release a buggy unfished product on us. I guess i just want to know if you all thing that we will be seeing this game hit the shelves in lest than half a year.

Comments

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I'm more of the mind that it will come out mid to later part of next year. I think the idea of it coming out early next year is from the statement that it is our projected release date.

Early 2011 is the date they'd like to hit. But as some set backs and more info is needed i'm pretty safe in saying the real release date will be somewhere mid to end of the year. Following closer to GW2 release date then today's date.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

It will come out when they feel it is ready to launch.  Hopefully.  Wishing for them to hurry up and announce a date and then stick to it is a recipe for an Age of Conan launch disaster.  I am not saying AoC is not a good game, I like it, but it's launch was a disaster of Biblical proportions. 

Forget about ToR. Some day in the Future you will be reading the post launch previews and then can decide if you want to invest.   Speculation about when and how good the game is will be pointless till then.  Just my opinion, and of course I have learned, painfully, that lesson with Champion's Online.   I couldn't wait till it launched and then couldn't wait to uninstall it from my computer. 

Patience is an essential tool in today's MMO players toolbox.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Originally posted by ElderRat

It will come out when they feel it is ready to launch.  Hopefully.  Wishing for them to hurry up and announce a date and then stick to it is a recipe for an Age of Conan launch disaster.  I am not saying AoC is not a good game, I like it, but it's launch was a disaster of Biblical proportions. 

Forget about ToR. Some day in the Future you will be reading the post launch previews and then can decide if you want to invest.   Speculation about when and how good the game is will be pointless till then.  Just my opinion, and of course I have learned, painfully, that lesson with Champion's Online.   I couldn't wait till it launched and then couldn't wait to uninstall it from my computer. 

Its easier to be patient when you have a brand new game you are enjoying, but when you are tired of most of what is out there, its hard to be patient :-). I just cant get myself to log into AOC, Warhammer, LOTRO, or WOW. Gods and Heroes looks like it will not succeed and Forsaken World's only advantage is that it will be free.

There Is Always Hope!

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

Sorry to burst anyones bubble but its HIGHLY UNLIKELY it will be out spring 2011.  Almost all mmo's miss their first predicted timeframe and with a game this size the chance they will hit spring 2011 isnt very good.  Expect 2nd half 2011 is probably more accurate

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Originally posted by Shatter30

Sorry to burst anyones bubble but its HIGHLY UNLIKELY it will be out spring 2011.  Almost all mmo's miss their first predicted timeframe and with a game this size the chance they will hit spring 2011 isnt very good.  Expect 2nd half 2011 is probably more accurate

NOOOOO, I HATE U, dont say that! lol. just playin :-0

There Is Always Hope!

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by benji068

Is spring 2011 a realistic release date ?

That should be the official gankers[object Window]/griefers[object Window] theme song when they[object Window]re on the hunt.

Anyways, no, I expect at least one delay. Not one too long, though; Q2 2011 sounds good, at the latest. Then again, BioWare has their stuff together, so I expect [object Window]em to be able to pull off Spring 2011. We[object Window]ll just have to wait and see.

[object Window]

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

Unless there's some sort of major problem I'm sure it'll come out sometime in 2011, but spring? I dunno. It seems unlikely, but this is Bioware afterall and they hate giving even target dates like that unless they are pretty sure they're going to make it. Usually with them it's "We'll release it when it's done". I've never really known them to miss an announced date, then again they've never developed an mmo before either.

I also would not look for this game to be bug free. There will be bugs. Biowares games always have bugs...usually not game breaking, but annoying all the same.

• zephermarkuszephermarkus Member Posts: 201

I would like them to release it in december of this year this is the only game i would pay to play beta version of it. This game will be my next and last mmorpg I play. I can almost bet money on the fact that this game in it's current state is better then most of what has been released so far in the past years.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

There is something like 16 planets planneed for launch with alot of content planned for each planet. I don't see how they have it polished by the spring. That is just alot ot ask of anyone. I think the end of the summer would be the best bet.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

Originally posted by BarakIII

Unless there's some sort of major problem I'm sure it'll come out sometime in 2011, but spring? I dunno. It seems unlikely, but this is Bioware afterall and they hate giving even target dates like that unless they are pretty sure they're going to make it. Usually with them it's "We'll release it when it's done". I've never really known them to miss an announced date, then again they've never developed an mmo before either.

I also would not look for this game to be bug free. There will be bugs. Biowares games always have bugs...usually not game breaking, but annoying all the same.

I think you're spot on.  I think spring is early, I'm thinking fall.  As far as bug free goes, name one game that has launched bug free.  There isn't one. 

Originally posted by SaintViktor

There is something like 16 planets planneed for launch with alot of content planned for each planet. I don't see how they have it polished by the spring. That is just alot ot ask of anyone. I think the end of the summer would be the best bet.

Donny Downer get out of here every post u make about any game on this forum is negative. IT will be released in spring or before that bioware is never late and when they give a timeframe they don't miss it. Bioware isn't blizzard take 15 years to make 1 game we are talking about here. If they take to long people will go somewhere else shit if i was them I would try to get it going before WOW'S Cata comes out. I could play swtor wiht bugs or not.

• SabradinSabradin Member Posts: 772

I'd sure like it to come out early next year rather than spring, but I think even spring is stretching it.

More like summer.

Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by zephermarkus

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Donny Downer get out of here every post u make about any game on this forum is negative. IT will be released in spring or before that bioware is never late and when they give a timeframe they don't miss it. Bioware isn't blizzard take 15 years to make 1 game we are talking about here. If they take to long people will go somewhere else shit if i was them I would try to get it going before WOW'S Cata comes out. I could play swtor wiht bugs or not.

The OP asked a question and I gave my opinion. What is the problem ? Don't like others opinions then maybe forum posting isn't for you. We would not want to hurt your feelings now! :(

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

I think Spring isn't unrealistic...of course ti may be Spring in Australia at the time...hehe.

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Originally posted by Elidien

Depending how you describe Spring, it will be virtually impossible. As I understand it, all testing is still in  house and Bioware still hasn't announced testing has begun. This game, because of the dialogue and design, will need massive testing and they will need thousands of players to do it.

At this point, and my feeling has always been this, the game will launch Fall 2011 or Spring 2012 if there is a delay. Also with the recent change from Lucas Arts to EA as the back-end of the game (publishing, CS, etc...), those details and plans would need to be worked out.

I am thinking October 2011 but that's pure speculation. But having been around the MMO market for close to 10 years now, I would be beyond shocked if the game comes before Fall 2011.

There is out of house testing going on already, they are limiting it to small pieces, so no outside beta testeres are getting to see very much of the game.

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

Originally posted by mmogawd

Depending how you describe Spring, it will be virtually impossible. As I understand it, all testing is still in  house and Bioware still hasn't announced testing has begun. This game, because of the dialogue and design, will need massive testing and they will need thousands of players to do it.

At this point, and my feeling has always been this, the game will launch Fall 2011 or Spring 2012 if there is a delay. Also with the recent change from Lucas Arts to EA as the back-end of the game (publishing, CS, etc...), those details and plans would need to be worked out.

I am thinking October 2011 but that's pure speculation. But having been around the MMO market for close to 10 years now, I would be beyond shocked if the game comes before Fall 2011.

There is out of house testing going on already, they are limiting it to small pieces, so no outside beta testeres are getting to see very much of the game.

Yeah, I can't quite recall when they started asking for players to test the game, but it's been at least a couple of months, probably longer.

Edit: I'm not sure if this is right, but it looks like testing began in June.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Yes it is realistic. Game Testing has started, they did announce that i'm pretty sure. We know EA has stated the game will not be released before 31st March. So my guess would be around that time.

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Seeing as no one here actually knowns how far along they are in developement, It's really hard to take any of this blind speculation seriously.

• ZERMINUSZERMINUS Member Posts: 241

Absolutely wrong.

I till come out when EA or LA forces Bioware to put it out according to some pre-determined, artificially set marketing schedule that has to do with marketing some toy or TYV series or DVD launcd or financial reporting - and it won't matter what state the game's in. Don't you know anything about SWG? About KOTOR 2? Or about Force Unleashed I?

Originally posted by ZERMINUS

Absolutely wrong.

I till come out when EA or LA forces Bioware to put it out according to some pre-determined, artificially set marketing schedule that has to do with marketing some toy or TYV series or DVD launcd or financial reporting - and it won't matter what state the game's in. Don't you know anything about SWGH? About KOTOR 2? Or about Force Unleashed I?

Well Zerminus pretty much has it right and ea bioware has a way bigger team then most mmo companies the reason most mmos take so long is there teams are usually a small tight group of people this is not the case with  ea bioware. Blizzards team is smaller then biowares btw. Bioware made console games and if you know anything about console market they have stricted deadlines and budgets and if thehy miss those marks people can lose their jobs bioware is good at getting things done on time and doing them fast. They already said they will not be having a big closed beta or a long one bioware is very secretive so dont expect a huge build up from beta to release cause their wont be one. It will be in closed beta 2-3 months at the most. There will prolly only be a stress test wiht no open beta either.

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

Reason for spring release is , cataclysme is out 3 months , usually people quit and try to find a new mmo .

Sorry all those haters and resubscribers will do it again , since first 3 months isn´t time for perma raiding yet .

You dont release a MMO before blizzard next expansion , its almost a garantee fail strategy .

Sorry people will buy and play cataclysme .

But about the SWTOR  product hitting on time for spring , pftttt its difficult but the speed they moved , from last month till this month .

Seems very likely they will release in spring 2011 . thats my estimate at how fast the product has moved , from last month .

They hired a community manager , they started to release information .

They showed what crafting system is about . coupled it with illegally released beta video of questing or dungeons .

And interviews that are legal , the game system isn´t revolutionair , but atleast its polished .

Well but dont take my word , but my presumption is it going to be released in spring , spring might not be march , but it will be around end of Q1 and start of Q2 .

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Absolutely wrong.

I till come out when EA or LA forces Bioware to put it out according to some pre-determined, artificially set marketing schedule that has to do with marketing some toy or TYV series or DVD launcd or financial reporting - and it won't matter what state the game's in. Don't you know anything about SWG? About KOTOR 2? Or about Force Unleashed I?

I guess you dont either, as the LA President that used to force launch dates is no longer in charge.

I would imagine somewhere between May and August next yr this game will launch.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• ZERMINUSZERMINUS Member Posts: 241

Originally posted by Moaky07

Absolutely wrong.

I guess you dont either, as the LA President that used to force launch dates is no longer in charge.

I would imagine somewhere between May and August next yr this game will launch.

LOL. But George is still in charge last time I heard. Face it, it's the marketing people who decide when the game comes out. Let's hope they don't screw up again, as they always do.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Originally posted by BarakIII

Originally posted by mmogawd

Yeah, I can't quite recall when they started asking for players to test the game, but it's been at least a couple of months, probably longer.

Edit: I'm not sure if this is right, but it looks like testing began in June.

The main site lists game testing started July 9 2010. It is limited, but it is being tested.

Also, we know that a number of media tested for at least 6 hours. It was all of a starter planet, level 1 - 10. It looks like Massively was one of them and will release the info next month. From those, we should see at least how the starter worlds up to 10 are looking. Including some flashpoint group content runs.

As far as launch date. I like the idea thrown around a few months ago about a lauch that is the same month of the original movie release in 1977. That would be May. So Q2 2011 sounds about right to me.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore