Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can so much fun be free

Well what can i say i played this game a while back when it was not F2P

And honest just didn't take to it even bought Mines expansion getting to level 24 hunter as my highest plus a few in the teens

So the other day i got a email telling me has got F2P on EU servers and thought hey it free i can trial it again

So i installed, updated and logged in with my hunter found i couldn't get new quests but i had a few from before F2P,

getting my bearings rode over to Bree and found lots of people but alot of hunters.. So loaded up my Warden and away i went questing and for some reason really started to enjoy the game.

Logged back in with the hunter and started doing skirmishes, really enjoyed them and now she got decent gear level 27.

Can't wait to get the warden to 20 so he can do a few for better gear (it free does not cost gold).

So how come the Game is now enjoyable? Even thinking of subbing again to get full content

No not some fan boy just wanted to share my thoughts on why the game is so much better than before regardless of it being free.

Comments

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Well, they did revamp the starting areas. And the lonelands.

And skirmishes are pretty fun, until you've done them dozens of times. (Hopefully we will get more some day, but I have my doubts, knowing Turbine)

Still, the slog in the game doesn't start until you hit your 30s...

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• octoconoctocon Member Posts: 44

Yes i did read that about the 30's advise was to skrimish,

Well lets hope we get more becuase they really are fun

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

I think people starting just now are lucky in regards to content. We had a long draught after SoM, over a year i think, and now with F2P we finally see new content on the horizon aswell as a significant increase in content generation(which honestly is not hard given last years record).

But yeah i also enjony the game alot more than i did half a year ago, they really polished it quite nicely for F2P. Lots of small things, can't even name exactly whats changed so much, but somehow i find myself logging in alot more. Maybe its just the outlook, the class months addressing old bugs/inconveniences or the future just looking brighter.

As for Level 30-40, yeah its my personal hellhole aswell. Skirmishing alot generally helps, now that we have much more Skirmishes available at the level thats become even easier.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

The best thing they did was to remove some of the quests and increase the exp you get for the quests you do.  I can remember back at launch, I had my quest log full all the time.  Now the most I have is maybe 10 quests at a time.  Turbine did a very good job at switching this game to f2p.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

I came back to the game for F2P at level 27 and honestly, i can't say that that 30-40 has been in any way a chore.  It's actually been great fun.  Between a few cool instances and questing in 3 different zones (LL, ND and Evendim) I've never been bored.  I've done a couple of the skirmishes, but just once to check out what they are.  

Honestly, my only complaint - and it's a minor one - is that there is no good instance to run from 35-39.  GA ones are cool until like 35 at most but then you don't get Fornost until 39.  Mindya, I haven't been able to find groups for Fornost at all and I'm up to 43 now. 

But I'm finding the game to still be blast, the leveling pace is just right in letting me experience all the zones without graying anything out (like it did for parts of North Downs and LL).

Anyhow, just saying, DO NOT FEAR THE 30s!  They're great :)     If you have all the quest packs anyway.  If you're only gonna get one questpack after LL, be sure to stick around LL until about 35.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Originally posted by octocon

Yes i did read that about the 30's advise was to skrimish,

Well lets hope we get more becuase they really are fun

I havent needed to skirmish to get out of my 30s.

The game has like a million freaking quests!

Maybe that was an old problem?

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Yeah, the leveling curve was much steeper in the early days, and there weren't nearly as many quests or even zones back then.  Still a decent amount but at 30+ things really began to thin out. Getting to level 50 used to be rather time consuming.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Yeah, the leveling curve was much steeper in the early days, and there weren't nearly as many quests or even zones back then.  Still a decent amount but at 30+ things really began to thin out. Getting to level 50 used to be rather time consuming.

I Hit level 30 in LL & ND and i still had freaking Green quests to do in both areas...

Had like 30+ quests in my log...

I can't imagine this game being thin anywhere.

Maybe this changes your second time through. Since you know where everything is.

Oh and I refuse to use questing guides so admittingly I am lost half the time... But its a good kinda lost.

Edit: if it was that hard to level back then Im kind aglad i came to the game late heh. I find the game perfect right now.

As for other comments about the lack of dungeons when leveling... ehhh. Honestly dungeons are nice to run but when you start farming them for armor sets at low levels it makes damn near all questing content trivial.

I could understand wanting dungeon content in a Game like WoW since questing was pretty terrible in that game but a game like Lotro, where the story is this engaging I would hate to run a dungeon two or three times and have to skip an area.

• GaryMGaryM Member Posts: 244

Originally posted by arieste

Honestly, my only complaint - and it's a minor one - is that there is no good instance to run from 35-39.  GA ones are cool until like 35 at most but then you don't get Fornost until 39.  Mindya, I haven't been able to find groups for Fornost at all and I'm up to 43 now. 

You're right, group content is slim pickings before level cap, and getting a group for Fornost is difficult if you're not in a kin. If you like grouping here's a suggestion: try doing the skirmishes with a group, even duo, whenever possible. They are vastly more enjoyable (and challenging), especially the boss fights which get much more interesting with groups of 3 or more. I find them kind of boring solo, but with a group they are enjoyable enough that I play them regularly and have fun doing so. Different class and soldier combinations add to the replayability. Just find some other lonely soul or two who are leveling up, and make them your skirmish buddies. My experience is that completing just 3 skirmishes will give you an entire level when you're in the level 30-40 range.

• caelachcaelach Member UncommonPosts: 113

I tried this when it first came out and wasn't too thrilled. I gave it another try when F2P launched and have a couple toons at 34 and 40. Way better. This is just BY FAR the best thing that has ever happened to F2P. And being the LOTR is just icing on the cake.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

It isn't free. Wether you subscriber or choose nto to, it is never free. The term f2p is a huge misconception.

Originally posted by SaintViktor

It isn't free. Wether you subscriber or choose nto to, it is never free. The term f2p is a huge misconception.

F2p = Micro transaction.

People who think a F2p game is 100% free need to wake up.

F2p = Micro transaction.

F2P is to free what Advertisement is to product information. Everyone knows it and only sticklers complain about the untruth in either. That being said it is free if you neither subscribe nor pay points and just deal with the drawbacks, shocking huh? But im not surprised that the min/max nature of MMO gamers can't grasp that.

F2p = Micro transaction.

The thing is besides someone new to the genre no one thinks f2p means 100% free.  Not sure why these posters think they're enlightening anyone. Yet every time someone posts a topic with the term f2p in it, at least one shows up to post the same goddamn thing that has been posted thousands of times before to "educate the masses".

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

F2p = Micro transaction.

The thing is besides someone new to the genre no one thinks f2p means 100% free.  Not sure why these posters think they're enlightening anyone. Yet every time someone posts a topic with the term f2p in it, at least one shows up to post the same goddamn thing that has been posted thousands of times before to "educate the masses".

IM so tired of these people. We should consider ourselves lucky to get such a well made pve focused game with an extremely accessible tier payment model.

Turbine gave us a gift with both DDO and Lotro. Considering the quality of the other microtransaction mmos we should be thanking Turbine.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Turbine have done a brilliant job in turning it in to a hybrid payment model, they also did a great job of revamping the starter areas, so much more fun. I'm having a blast, have a level 25 loremaster, I picked up the LL content yesterday for 50 points and I earned at least 60 during yesterdays mammoth play session without any grinding whatsoever, in total I've spent less than £20 which is less than buying any full price game, I bought the horse riding skill, unlocked all bags and a unlocked a few trait slots and still have enough points to buy more content when I've finished the LL quests by which time I'll also have earned more. It's a great game and extremely good value, I agree with the OP you get an awesome amount for nothing and when you do need to pay it works out at very little.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

F2p = Micro transaction.

IM so tired of these people. We should consider ourselves lucky to get such a well made pve focused game with an extremely accessible tier payment model.

Turbine gave us a gift with both DDO and Lotro. Considering the quality of the other microtransaction mmos we should be thanking Turbine.

Will Turbine offer me my money back for buying the Life-Time subscription. Not a happy camper

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

It's free because people weren't playing it enough for them to make money when it wasn't free.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

Originally posted by Elsabolts

Will Turbine offer me my money back for buying the Life-Time subscription. Not a happy camper

/shrug

You got your money's worth.  Still do really since you have vip status without having to pay a monthly fee.  So not sure what the problem is.

Frankly, I wish I would have gone for the lifetime sub myself.  Never thought in a million years though that an mmo would bring me back as much as this one has.  Would have saved myself quite a bit of coin though if I would have.  Meh, hindsight is always 20/20 I suppose.

Originally posted by Robokapp

F2p = Micro transaction.

the add says "You shall not pay".

I interpret that as ..."i shall not pay". Do you interpret it differently?

Oh the add, also called commercial, says you shall not play. Yeah lets go right away to a discussion about the truthfulness of advertisements. Sometimes you guys crack me up. I mean how can you handle daily life in the world we live in if you take stuff you see in commercials on TV or on the Internet for real?

Besides its your choice to spend money on LotRO if you do, you are not forced by Turbine in any way or shape or form. You can play the game for free, you can even raid for free. But you need to put work into it. Also take a look at this thread on RoM apparently a single set of endgame gear costs around 260$, for every char and having to be replaced with any new levelincrease. And people call that F2P. Atleast Turbine only charges us a tiny sum you can easily earn ingame once, and they you have access to a region with all your chars and can gear them up normally.

• octoconoctocon Member Posts: 44

Just to give an update on my progress

Warden now 25 about a 1/4 left to 26 i did resub to get the extra content instead of using turbine points

Still enjoying the game with the Warden seems we were meant for each other.

Point being i guess it is worth the sub fee to get the extra content even as suggested for only a month.

As a casual player i not in a rush to 65 and have been also leveling up the prospecter skill.

Well that is really the argument on F2P or not would be if u like the game enough you will pay what you want to pay, being nothing to £8.99 a month you can get to max level without paying a dime, the choice is yours.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

F2P, to me, means I didn't have to buy the "box" to get started and I'm not limited to 14 days. I can log in and chat with my Kinship any time I want.

IMO, lotro goes well beyond anything I expected in a F2P game. They would have NEVER seen a cent from me in a P2P game...the Lord of the Rings lore just isn't that enjoyable to me...however...with F2P, they picked up 3 subs, 3 MoM purchases and more store crap than I'll admit in public.

Originally posted by Robokapp

F2p = Micro transaction.

the add says "You shall not pay".

I interpret that as ..."i shall not pay". Do you interpret it differently?

LoL!!!!!!!!!! I give up with you people. If you don't want to spend money on lotro complete deeds for coins across a couple classes and get everything for free, if that's too much for you play something else. I'm done with all of you guys...

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Originally posted by Blurr

It's free because people weren't playing it enough for them to make money when it wasn't free.

The game was making money then.  It's making a lot more now, though.  The reason it went F2P was because DDO was such a huge success.  They've even stated this.  Maybe you should stop trying to pass your opinion as fact.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

What Jeremy said, methinx.

I trialed LotRO 3 times since it launched.  Each time, I got out of the tutorial and about halfway through the race areas, got bored, and quit.

4th time I tried it, spring of last year, and for some reason I started looking around at the Deed system, looking at my skills BEYOND the damage number and into the strategic and tactical effects, and as a result started playing the game the way it was meant to be played.  I was hooked.

But I really think it was the improvements they made over the years to the starting area's quest hubs and the flow of the advancement.  Crafting seems to have improved alot, too, from when I first trialed.

I hear they're finally getting rid of those early level crafting quests,(where somebody wants 3 copper greaves, etc) which is good.  I remember as a noob player they just confused the crap out of me.  Couldn't make most of the stuff.  Couldn't find it at auction.  Couldn't pay someone enough to bother making them for me.  And being new, I had assumed that you had to do every little quest you could to advance.  It was an unnecessary frustration.