Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ban-O-Rama

Tonight, at least hundreds of DDO players were given warnings or outright bans for "exploits" used during the recent Mabar Live Event.  However, they have given no further explanation of the offense, and many players that have been subscribing for over four years have received their first ever disciplinary action.  Yes, I am among that number.

The main problem is that the emails that were sent explaining the situation were extremely vague.  In fact, in the letter I received, it seemed as if the sentence that should have included the reason for the ban....simply was not there.

Now I know that I did not intentionally use any exploit during the event, and neither did my guildmates that played during that time.  There is no rhyme or reason to the bannings.  I was banned and spent most of the weekend alone until I popped in to fight the dragon and wound up in a random group.  A friend's fiance was banned, and she did not even get a warning, even though they played together nearly every moment of the event. 

Now, pardon my naivete, but was it a coincidence that toons were booted from the server 10-15 minutes after the customer service line closed?  My toon was booted from the world at 8:55 EST, and Turbine's customer service closes at 8:45 EST.

Tolero, the Turbine Liason on the forums (Forum Mommy) has been doing nothing but deleting posts that mention anything about punishments or bannings and warning people of further disciplinary actions if we don't behave.  BUT....she has not given the slightest clue as to what the bannings were for.  I can't imagine that they deliberately created this PR nightmare, but Tolero has made nary a peep to indicate that this wasn't planned and implemented as intended.

So, for those of you considering trying DDO....see how this shakes out.  There might not be anyone for you to play with after this debacle.

Comments

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Interesting.  Thanks for the heads-up.

• geoffhannageoffhanna Member Posts: 2

Me too.

And literally hundreds of others. The Turbine forum mods have had their hands full deleting angry threads. Dozens of them.

• PepeGosPepeGos Member Posts: 2

Hi patyykakez

Very happy to see your posting.  I have the same mail and experience with a warning containing "Recently we conducted an investigation into an exploit that was being utilized" for do I know what I have done... I got NO IDEA! Me as well I checked the DDO pages to notice I all the mails are removed and I get a warning for entering illegal areas…???

The whole story is very upsetting and I sincerely hope the DDO comes with a proper apology for their unrighteous allegations. If not, then all I can promise is that the media is a powerful weapon and able to inflict serious damage to the name of DDO. I hope it does not have to get to that escalation level and I hope our accounts will be cleansed from the current DDO note.

Keep in touch and meet you in the game!

Pepe

• dnarrisdnarris Member Posts: 267

Perhaps, before you came to this forum to alert of the dire corruption and scandal going on in DDO you should have taken more than a couple hours to consider what was happened.

More than that perhaps, if you thought that forums mod even had knowledge of why you and other would be banned you should have sent them a private message rather than discussing punishments on the boards. After all discussing moderation or punishment on the boards is usually against the user agreement.

Futhermore, perhaps you should wait until the next day and actually call customer service and find out exactly what is going on before sounding the doom alert.

After all, just, because customer service closes right before your horrible sentence was handed to you doesn't mean they're going to stay closes or screen their phone calls.

Seriously, try taking more than a few hours to sort things out before going all nuts with the "I've been wronged by the man" posts.

• Astro6Astro6 Member UncommonPosts: 247

all i can say is class action lawsuit there are enough players they just need to orginize.

• PepeGosPepeGos Member Posts: 2

Hi Dnarris

THE LEAST DDO can do is to acknowledge their mistake at once in order to put things straight!!!

THAT is what we expect and VERY LITTLE effort to calm down the players: an apology on the board… instead of REMOVING all notes, just like nothing has happened.

I look forward to immediate DDO action.

Pepe

• patyykakezpatyykakez Member Posts: 3

Well, Dnarris, it would be difficult to send them a pm since they banned our forum accounts along with our game accounts.  I would be more than happy to contact them directly.  However, since they have adopted a LA LA LA LA I'M NOT LISTENING policy of customer service and are deleting any thread on the forums that mentions the ban and have still not announced any sort of explanation to why thousands of people have been accused of cheating, I decided to post on another venue.  I'm very sorry if that offends you.

Originally posted by patyykakez

Well, Dnarris, it would be difficult to send them a pm since they banned our forum accounts along with our game accounts.  I would be more than happy to contact them directly.  However, since they have adopted a LA LA LA LA I'M NOT LISTENING policy of customer service and are deleting any thread on the forums that mentions the ban and have still not announced any sort of explanation to why thousands of people have been accused of cheating, I decided to post on another venue.  I'm very sorry if that offends you.

It's pretty clear that the only reason you're posting here is, because you don't feel like anyone is listening to you. Other than it's pretty clear you don't partake in discussions on this board.

What is it you hope that someone is going to do for you here?

Just, because a number of people were banned for an exploit doesn't mean people should not have an interest in this game. Unfortunately, just because people say they are innoncent doesn't make it so either.

If you have discussed the matter with the customer service department, which I'm certain you have not yet considering the time. You should do so.

If they won't listen to you, perhaps it isn't the right game for you after all.

• patyykakezpatyykakez Member Posts: 3

Hmmmm what do I hope that someone is going to do for me here?  Well, to be honest, I hoped to find a Turbine Fanboy to support them and shoot down my post.  Praise be, you came along!

Actually, I would just like this *not* to be swept under the rug.  I would like this to be a PR issue for Turbine so that they do not do it again in the future.  I would like for others to be aware.

And, perhaps I do not *post* here often, but do you have any way to tell how often I visit these message boards?  Perhaps I am sharing for the first time, but perhaps I just do not need to see my name listed on the forums repeatedly for no good reason.

I find it rather difficult to believe that thousands of people could all have been in collusion during a four day event.  Did you participate?

I have in no way said that other people should not have an interest in this game.  I'm merely stating that in order to have an interest, one must be able to log in.

This has been the game for me for four years.  This situation is not about the game, it is about the customer service...or lack thereof.  Your opinion is not going to change mine, just as mine is not going to change yours.

Actually, my time in DDO was a few years ago and I'm not a fan of the game. But, I'm surprised some one of your age would resort to labeling and name calling.

The type of post you brought to the board to complain about how a game has treated you unfairly is actually really common. People make accounts complain until their complaints fall on deaf ears and then they go somewhere else again.

Thousands of people were affected by this? Is that a guess? Maybe thousands of people have come forward and said DDO screwed me? Maybe we'll see 20 or 30 of them in this thread?

"So, for those of you considering trying DDO....see how this shakes out.  There might not be anyone for you to play with after this debacle."

That is a quote from your first post, sure sounds like you're telling people they might not want to play that game, because Turbine has gone out and decimated their player base into non-existence. I don't know? Does that sound like an exaggeration to you? I think it was, sort of sounded like one to me.

Frankly, unless you get many of these "thousands of people" to start raising a ruckus with you, you're just going to continue to look like one jaded consumer.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Posted by Tolero:

"This is still being reviewed this morning. In the interest of staying in the guidelines, make sure that if you have questions please submit them via the in-game support contact form which can be found at the following link. Also make sure your email address is correct in the event that we need to make contact with you:

http://www.ddo.com/ddosupport/in-game-support"

Btw this took me less than minute to find and post...

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

This thread has really gone downhill quickly.  I've always called Turbine support.  I seem to get better (more personal) help from them that way.  But it seems you've already made up your mind about Turbine...oh well.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Last night, some DDO players received erroneous temporary suspensions or warnings regarding an exploit. Due to a technical issue in our exploit suspension process some players participating in the Mabar festival event were incorrectly notified of a rules violation. Any accounts that were temporarily banned as a result of this issue will have their account access restored and will be credited 100 Turbine Points. Any accounts that received warnings will have those warnings removed from their record. 

This error was an isolated incident and should have no further impact for any DDO players. As always, we welcome player feedback on all aspects of DDO and continually seek to improve the quality of the service we provide to players. 

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or confusion and thank you for your patience while we worked to resolve the issue.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=285262

lol don't worry OP, enough of you guys made a clamor that not only is the issue resolved but you got 100 Turbine points out of the deal. Congratz!

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Last night, some DDO players received erroneous temporary suspensions or warnings regarding an exploit. Due to a technical issue in our exploit suspension process some players participating in the Mabar festival event were incorrectly notified of a rules violation. Any accounts that were temporarily banned as a result of this issue will have their account access restored and will be credited 100 Turbine Points. Any accounts that received warnings will have those warnings removed from their record. 

This error was an isolated incident and should have no further impact for any DDO players. As always, we welcome player feedback on all aspects of DDO and continually seek to improve the quality of the service we provide to players. 

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or confusion and thank you for your patience while we worked to resolve the issue.

lol don't worry OP, enough of you guys made a clamor that not only is the issue resolved but you got 100 Turbine points out of the deal. Congratz!

And it seem most did so through the proper channels. Good for them.

The original poster, should hopefully feel justified. However, it seems to me that Turbine did not take a "LA LA LA we're not listening approach", clearly.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by dnarris

The original poster, should hopefully feel justified. However, it seems to me that Turbine did not take a "LA LA LA we're not listening approach", clearly.

Meh, who cares what channels they went through. Proper channels get this "We are working on it". Public chit storms get this... 

ShitStorm of Rage Causes Blizzard to Reverse Decision on Real ID in Battle.net Forums

Devs have a tendency of trying to ignore players and say "Everything is fine, it's always fine and everyones happy!" that generally fly's until there is a big enough chit storm that it starts hitting the MMO news sites, other forums, and so on. Then it becomes a problem they can't ignore. 

Not saying Turbine is like that though, they may have taken care of it in this manner and this quickly on their own I'm not familiar enough with them to know. 

Originally posted by dnarris

Meh, who cares what channels they went through. Proper channels get this "We are working on it". Public chit storms get this... 

ShitStorm of Rage Causes Blizzard to Reverse Decision on Real ID in Battle.net Forums

Devs have a tendency of trying to ignore players and say "Everything is fine, it's always fine and everyones happy!" that generally fly's until there is a big enough chit storm that it starts hitting the MMO news sites, other forums, and so on. Then it becomes a problem they can't ignore. 

Not saying Turbine is like that though, they may have taken care of it in this manner and this quickly on their own I'm not familiar enough with them to know. 

I agree with you.

But we're comparing that to something that was taken care of in a matter of hours.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Let's keep this thread on topic. Ive deleted the baiting. Lets keep it clear of any such posts from now on.

• LeagolxLeagolx Member Posts: 222

I dont like threads like this for the fact we dont really know what happened. All we know is what your telling us and since you had only posted 5 times on this forum its not like any of us have a personal relationship with you. I once got a warning for buying gold and trading my account on wow and i called them and you know what they did they took the warning off my account. It really wasnt that hard to do and i recommend you do the same im sure turbine would help you because these mega mmo companies are in the bussiness of making money and banning you would lose them money. So unless you have done something they feel makes you not worth the money to have around anymore they will surely allow you to keep playing the game.

If your going to ban the trolls please for our sake ban the Fan Boys too.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Originally posted by patyykakez

Tonight, at least hundreds of DDO players were given warnings or outright bans for "exploits" used during the recent Mabar Live Event.  However, they have given no further explanation of the offense, and many players that have been subscribing for over four years have received their first ever disciplinary action.  Yes, I am among that number.

The main problem is that the emails that were sent explaining the situation were extremely vague.  In fact, in the letter I received, it seemed as if the sentence that should have included the reason for the ban....simply was not there.

Now I know that I did not intentionally use any exploit during the event, and neither did my guildmates that played during that time.  There is no rhyme or reason to the bannings.  I was banned and spent most of the weekend alone until I popped in to fight the dragon and wound up in a random group.  A friend's fiance was banned, and she did not even get a warning, even though they played together nearly every moment of the event. 

Now, pardon my naivete, but was it a coincidence that toons were booted from the server 10-15 minutes after the customer service line closed?  My toon was booted from the world at 8:55 EST, and Turbine's customer service closes at 8:45 EST.

Tolero, the Turbine Liason on the forums (Forum Mommy) has been doing nothing but deleting posts that mention anything about punishments or bannings and warning people of further disciplinary actions if we don't behave.  BUT....she has not given the slightest clue as to what the bannings were for.  I can't imagine that they deliberately created this PR nightmare, but Tolero has made nary a peep to indicate that this wasn't planned and implemented as intended.

So, for those of you considering trying DDO....see how this shakes out.  There might not be anyone for you to play with after this debacle.

I'm on the OP's side on this one,

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this post. I'm taking it that Turbine pulled a quick fast one without thinking.  No one likes to log in to their MMO and find out that they had been banned......This is exactly the place to go when something like this happens......After all what would you like to post about here on mmorpg.com ?

I use official game message boards for learning about classes and game play.  mmorpg.com is to get the scoop on what's going on with a game.  

I use mmorpg to :

1) find out if a game is good

2) find out if a game is populated

3) check on bata's

4) check on release dates

5) find out if devs are pulling fast ones on there customers ******

6) pros and cons

7) vent frustrations ******

8) protect our selfs against the crap that had been released ( in my case, I was able to avoid mmo's such as AoC, Aion, FF14, and Vanguard's release )

9) find out if an mmo got better

I see your new here Patyykakez, and welcome you did good, keep posting.  Most of us like to see it when devs pull their crap. Thank God for mmorpg.com.......Because some times it's Devs against us, or we would  be reading the cool stuff on the back of the game box at GameStop !!

• EscargonEscargon Member Posts: 78

Hate when that happens, mates!

Not that its serious bzs, but i got banned 3 years ago for two days in WoW for doing nothing.

I was banned due for being a racist. Pretty funny, cause im a Algerian fighting against racism since childtime.

That day i got banned was the day i logged on to kill some elites in Hellfire Peninsula, joining a orc shaman and doing alot of quests. And that orc shaman was my IRL friend. And no wrong conversations. I didnt chat with any other people except saying hi in the guild chat and so on.

The ban reason was harrassing and being racist against players. I wasnt angry at all, nor pissed, just chocked, this must have been a mistake. I didnt contact Blizzard, cause im not addicted to games at all, so it wasnt a killer.

But it sucks getting banned for no reason at all.

Yawn

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

Originally posted by DLangley

Let's keep this thread on topic. Ive deleted the baiting. Lets keep it clear of any such posts from now on.

you go admin! Law and Order!