Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GTX 580 on Tom's

BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-580-gf110-geforce-gtx-480,2781.html

Here's the review from Tom's Hardware. The GTX 580 currently holds the crown for the fastest single-GPU card. However, on games that are not titled "TWIMTBP" by Nvidia, the Radeon 5970 soundly beats it and for an average of $50 cheaper.

Highlights: Roughly a 16% increase from a GTX 480. The power and heat of the GTX 580 is on par with the 480, but offers increased performance. 

What are your thoughts here?

He who keeps his cool best wins.

Comments

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640

They are still playing catch up, that's my thoughts.

ATI (err AMD) is still king at the moment.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Tom's Hardware loves SLI and CrossFire, so in their next "best video cards for the money" segment, they'll probably say, if you want to spend $500, you should get two Radeon HD 6870s in CrossFire--and neither a GTX 580 or a Cayman.

Two Radeon HD 6870s in CrossFire do handily beat a single GTX 580 in average frame rates in most games.  But there's still a decent case for going with the faster single card and avoiding issues with CrossFire or SLI not working properly.

Hopefully we can consign the awful GF100 to the scrap heap as quickly as possible, now that Nvidia has a GPU chip that is actually decent to fill that market segment.  A better reference cooler is a good chunk of that improvement, though; the GTX 480's reference cooler probably couldn't handle a GTX 580, either.

• BarbarbarBarbarbar Member UncommonPosts: 271

Originally posted by Quizzical

Tom's Hardware loves SLI and CrossFire, so in their next "best video cards for the money" segment, they'll probably say, if you want to spend $500, you should get two Radeon HD 6870s in CrossFire--and neither a GTX 580 or a Cayman.

Two Radeon HD 6870s in CrossFire do handily beat a single GTX 580 in average frame rates in most games.  But there's still a decent case for going with the faster single card and avoiding issues with CrossFire or SLI not working properly.

Hopefully we can consign the awful GF100 to the scrap heap as quickly as possible, now that Nvidia has a GPU chip that is actually decent to fill that market segment.  A better reference cooler is a good chunk of that improvement, though; the GTX 480's reference cooler probably couldn't handle a GTX 580, either.

I've had SLI in my comp for a couple of years now, two 9800GTX. And have run into some of the issues you mention, including for example flickering screens in Warhammer Online. So I needed to turn SLI off. And there have been other issues but minor to this. But again, I have been running other games flawlessly on highest settings, knowing that if I had bought a single card within the same pricerange and generation range. I would be turning down stuff to make it play the game. So I've come out on top many times, where the point is that I don't notice the positives as they don't make problems.

I do feel that dual GPU setups are taking leaps forward in useability and scaleability. Disregarding them straight away is just not up to date with the development.

I have been considering two GTX460 but haven't bought them, maybe now I will wait. But don't you think that dual GPU setups will just become better and better?

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

So this is the card that AMD is going to plaster with the 6970, huh? Oh well, at least Nvidia can stay king of ridiculous single-GPU power consumption figures.