Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I just dont get it

schertztschertzt Member Posts: 110

I purchased the trilogy last week because I need a short break from wow and also because I would like to know the lore before GW2 comes out..

Anyways, I just don't get it to be honest.

The map, everything is just small green dots.  merchants are green, party members are green.  everything. 

I started out in the city of Ascalon, made my way to the catacombs, and all of a sudden the city is crumbled and i'm in old ascalon?

I always have 1-3 quests and that's it.

Basically to sum it up.. gather quests, gather hero's (whatever quest tells you)... go and kill wheover it tells you..

Im a necromancer/monk I beleive ATM....When does crafting start? pvp?  larger groups?

it just seems like I start in old ascalon, walk 15 minutes while random mobs pop up, complete a quest, and walk back another 15 minutes and so on... I'm trying to read beginner guides but it's not working so well..

Every single fight im in, I cast 3 spells, and have no energy to cast anymore the rest of the fight.  The hero just heals me while I get bashed to death because I have no energy. 

Anyone have any answers, tips, guides, ect?   Thanks

Playing: GW2, Planetside 2.
Trying out: Age of Wushu
Looking forward to: AA, Wildstar

Comments

• Dev_NightsDev_Nights Member Posts: 67

I do admit, I have always found Old ascalon a bit of a grind. The quests are quite dull there and it does seem that you are always low on energy. Usually I just do the quests that give you skills and skip the ones that give you gear seeing as you often get better drops from enemies than you do from quests.

Energy tips:

As a necro you have a primary attribute called soul reaping. Basically whenever anything dies you gain energy. If you are having trouble with energy try putting a few points in this. Also try to use weapons that give you +Energy. Another thing is to read the skills you are using and ask yourself, "Are these skills really worth the cost?" Later in game they maybe but for what you currently need maybe not so much as you can't use them effectively. Finally if you have spare cash try buying some runes that give you +Energy (radiant insignias and runes of attunement).

Other tips with skills is to not just spam them all straight away, use them carefully and when it makes sense to. With your 3 skill problem, perhaps focus on two or three attributes such as Death Magic and Soul reaping rather than 5 or 6 that way you can put more attribute in those couple of attributes making their skills stronger and more useful.

Crafting:

You may have noticed in Ascalon City there are so traders, try speaking to the ones called <something>[armor] and you can craft armor pieces. Whenever you see these guys check if your armor is either better or the same as what you can craft, that way you don't get as much damage done to you. Also if you are desperate you can always craft weapons.

The minimap:

It takes a while to get used to but you eventually start learning what different shades of green and different shapes mean. However if you are lost with what is what hold down cntrl or alt whilst moving and the names of what you are looking at will show even if they are through a wall. Cntrl and alt do different things but you get used to it after a while.

Storyline confusion:

In certain parts of the games you enter missions and during missions you can get cutscenes. If you want to know what is happening then you need to watch the cutscene and it will guide your way through. If playing with humans let them know you havent seen the cutscene and ask them politely if they mind you watching it. Worst they can say is no.

Henchemen:

Try the 'holy trinity' of henchmen. Tank, Damage, Heal. When adding henchmen I generally try for Monk, Warrior, Elementalist. Let the warrior run in and do his stuff. As a necro you try to hex or create minions to add support. The other two henchmen will do the rest. You get larger groups in two areas. When you get to the Northern Shiverpeaks you can have 6 party members and in the Southern Shiverpeaks 8.

PvP:

You can automatically create PvP only characters from the start which are lvl 20 and can use any skills you have unlocked on your account, for PvE characters, you need to be level 20 in most instances (exceptions being low level arenas such as Ascalon arena and the one in Yaks Bend) and have access to the battle isles or a guild that does GvG.

Guides/other help:

In game you can type /wiki and then it will bring up the gw wiki which can help you find out info. The normal website is guildwars wiki and if you need help finding builds try looking at pvx wiki clicking on the Great or Meta PvE builds.

• CaliforunCaliforun Member Posts: 70

Guild Wars is a lot different than WoW.  It doesn't follow the usual conventions, so you can't treat it like a typical MMORPG.  Make sure to watch the cinematics because they keep you updated in terms of storyline and you need to read your primary quests carefully (unlike WoW) because they pertain directly to the plot.  If you have any specific questions you can ask... I have to go now but I'll have time to respond later! =)

• OmgZombiesOmgZombies Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by schertzt

I purchased the trilogy last week because I need a short break from wow and also because I would like to know the lore before GW2 comes out..

Anyways, I just don't get it to be honest.

The map, everything is just small green dots.  merchants are green, party members are green.  everything. 

I started out in the city of Ascalon, made my way to the catacombs, and all of a sudden the city is crumbled and i'm in old ascalon?

I always have 1-3 quests and that's it.

Basically to sum it up.. gather quests, gather hero's (whatever quest tells you)... go and kill wheover it tells you..

Im a necromancer/monk I beleive ATM....When does crafting start? pvp?  larger groups?

it just seems like I start in old ascalon, walk 15 minutes while random mobs pop up, complete a quest, and walk back another 15 minutes and so on... I'm trying to read beginner guides but it's not working so well..

Every single fight im in, I cast 3 spells, and have no energy to cast anymore the rest of the fight.  The hero just heals me while I get bashed to death because I have no energy. 

Anyone have any answers, tips, guides, ect?   Thanks

Since you have the trilogy, i suggest starting in factions and nightfall first, they're much friendlier to new players.  Proph is some-what difficult for new people since it doesn't give you the clearest idea of how things work.  The beginning of proph is also much longer and grindy compared to the others, which get you into the action a lot faster.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

You think Factions is more newbie friendly than Prophecies? I think the opposite. I mean jumping from the starting island to Kaening City is a massive jump in difficulty. For experienced players it's not so much an issue but for someone new to the game it could be a frustrating experience, especially dealing with the afflicted. I find Prophecies to have a much better leveling curve.

Personally I believe Nightfall is probably the best place to start for new players if lore is not an issue.

• CaliforunCaliforun Member Posts: 70

Originally posted by arenasb

You think Factions is more newbie friendly than Prophecies? I think the opposite. I mean jumping from the starting island to Kaening City is a massive jump in difficulty. For experienced players it's not so much an issue but for someone new to the game it could be a frustrating experience, especially dealing with the afflicted. I find Prophecies to have a much better leveling curve.

Personally I believe Nightfall is probably the best place to start for new players if lore is not an issue.

Agreed.

If lore is an issue, though, I'd start in Prophecies... it's still newbie friendly and fits into the linear progression of story.

• porkie9porkie9 Member Posts: 22

You would be so much better off to start at the start.. you have run before you learned to walk so to speak.. and to be honest... its nothing like Wow so try not to think Wow as you play it.. join a guild and get your pvp head on...

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

I started the game again about a month and a half ago, took my ritualist and set a goal for him.

The goal was to get all my skills that I may need for my build, in order to either group or solo on him. My second goal was to make sure I had reliable and fitting heroes to travel with my ritualist. My third goal was to set an easy to reach pockmark, such as completing all 3 campaigns.

Since then, I've just been isolating HoM objectives and flying through them. After 2 months of play or so, I have almost broken 20 points. I will likely play past 30 until I get bored, I would suggest you do something similar.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan