Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minecraft!!

redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

Ok you either you already know what I'm posting about or you need to go here and have a look, http://www.minecraft.net/ -(Do yourself a favor and don’t judge this game by its looks)

Preferably buy the game* and play it, because survival mode is where the game really shines and the demo doesn't let you try this mode of gameplay, demo wise you only get to play in world builder mode, fun for a short while, but you get bored after a while, so for me in the end I bit the bullet and bought the game* and have been playing it for the last three days nonstop, so glad I did.

Minecraft is a game that is like a 3D Boulder dash crossed with Stalker and Quake, the survival mode of the game has you starting out like a ship wreck victim, no weapons no tools, not even a soccer ball, you don’t know where you are, but you do know that night time will fall soon and you need to find and make your weapons, tools and safe place to call home, the game is very simple in design from graphics to gameplay, but literally has loads of depth, pun fully intended.

Now Minecraft has released/unlocked, opened there multi-player side to the game, haven't tried this myself yet, been too busy mining, but with multiplayer comes the question that every, most, ok maybe some mmorpg'ers will ask and you knew this question was coming, what about…

"Minecraft the MMO"????

What would it be like, would it even work?

* In alpha release 50% off price! -until official release, then price doubles.

Comments

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

I agree with everything you said. I saw someone mention Minecraft as an off note reply here on MMORPG a few weeks ago. I almost didnt go to the website. I visited, bought the game after trying the classic mode and following X's Adventures on Youtube and never looked back. This game is really a diamond (pun). I'm eagerly awaiting Survival Multiplayer, so I can play with all my friends.

Only time will tell if it works. With over 550,000 people already purchasing the game in alpha, it's already sparked more interest than most MMO's wet dreams do.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I'm starting to fall for this game as well. It's just... fun. It owns in the fun category. I lose track of time a little too easily while playing it.

• preston326preston326 Member UncommonPosts: 115

If you loved minecraft you may also like http://8bit.neverdaunt.com/

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

Adore this game. Been playing for a month non-stop. Most of my time is spent in caves spelunking. Fighting of zombies and skeletons for the diamonds.

I do want to start building my own fortress of doom but when I stumble across a natural cave system when mining, i go off and explore. When I hit the surface again, I'm no where near what I built :).

Again excellent game.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

the game play does look fun, but what the heck is with the graphics?........was this game made 20 yeas ago or something?

i undestand that the freedom to change the world is immense compared to most games but i still can't belive how old it looks. they could at least have made it to look like Lego or something especially since it's not even an mmo.  very cool concept thoug, i wish there was even 1 mmo that had even half the ammount of sand that this game has.

• DoktorianDoktorian Member Posts: 131

I actually downloaded it earlier this morning after watching like 10 video tutorials on how to play it. I have to say it is really fun and I'm sure most of you would enjoy it.

• Blackfire1Blackfire1 Member UncommonPosts: 116

I shelled out my $15 for the game about a week ago. I have to admit this game is so very fun.

I asked myself several time "this is alpha?" Really?  The only way you can tell is a lack of content. And seeing as there is a team of 4 people accually making the game. And only 1 programer (the creator). I'm impressed.

Remember its in ALPHA. If you buy it early you get all later editions for free.

I went ahead and got it. So fun.

• kaspertgkaspertg Member UncommonPosts: 30

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

the game play does look fun, but what the heck is with the graphics?........was this game made 20 yeas ago or something?

i undestand that the freedom to change the world is immense compared to most games but i still can't belive how old it looks. they could at least have made it to look like Lego or something especially since it's not even an mmo.  very cool concept thoug, i wish there was even 1 mmo that had even half the ammount of sand that this game has.

Don't judge a book by it's cover.

If it really is an issue you can get higher res texture packs that will soon be officialy supported.

• xxzibittxxzibitt Member Posts: 7

i wish there was even 1 mmo that had even half the ammount of sand that this game has.

There is.. Wurm Online.

Created by the creator of Minecraft Notch. (togheter with Rolf who is still in working on it.)

• KareshKaresh Member UncommonPosts: 242

Originally posted by Benthon

I agree with everything you said. I saw someone mention Minecraft as an off note reply here on MMORPG a few weeks ago. I almost didnt go to the website. I visited, bought the game after trying the classic mode and following X's Adventures on Youtube and never looked back. This game is really a diamond (pun). I'm eagerly awaiting Survival Multiplayer, so I can play with all my friends.

Only time will tell if it works. With over 550,000 people already purchasing the game in alpha, it's already sparked more interest than most MMO's wet dreams do.

The server I play on has a mod that enables mobs spawning at night and in caves, etc. It adds so much more depth to multiplayer it's amazing. But yeah, I've been playing this game for probably a little over a month, and most MMOs can NEVER keep me playing this long before I get bored. This is honestly probably one of the only games I'll be playing until Guild Wars 2.

• PreponerancePreponerance Member Posts: 295

I've been playing for a couple of months now.  

Have a habit of deleting all my worlds and starting over.

It kinda like when and if you played Tetris.  Every dream or think of the blocks all the time?

Well it's what minecraft does to me, I seriously dream in Minecraft blocks -.-

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

I spent probably near 50 hours playing this a year or so ago back before there was anything but building. I had a design in mind for an entire large map area and it took me that long to flatten and clear the map and then build all my structures, rivers, and underground tunnels. I listened to the 80s on the Sirius Website the entire time. I learned to appreciate Prince.

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

Hi all, sorry I haven’t been back, but guess what I've been doing?

That's right I just surfaced from minecraft, it's been a week or so.. this game just keeps giving, I'm even more impressed with this game after I went for a walk in my world, not always an easy thing to do, Boomers,( creepers!), Slurpee spiders, skeletons, zombies all wandering about, I guess I should have gone in the day time, it's really really Hugh, I found whole snow fields, deserts, full forests and some very deep oceans and lakes, not to mention some very dark and deep caves, I've updated my texture packs to Misa's 64x64 bit textures*, which re-skinned the mobs and made my trees all have slightly different foliage colors, from reds leaves to greens, got the Skin edit program working and reskined my own character skin, then in game I also worked out how to make a compass, found my first gold nugget, dealt with my first chaos spawner,( mob spawner cage) very nasty, but there were two other chests in the dungeon room which I just had to have, i couldn't get in to place torches around it, so i tried sand/gravel bagging the chests in and round them, blocking the zombies from spawning near me, then just dig down to the cheats, this worked well for the first chest but not too well on the second, make sure you shore  your sides up, I should mention that when I found the dungeon room I had tunneled down to it, so i came out on top of the room, which I glassed over and then observed what was happening in the room,

So far this game has stolen me away from my $90 fallout New Vegas game and pretty much any game in my library, the only mmo game I still visit daily is, “World of tanks” and “Dungeon & Dragons Online” don’t think I have ever enjoyed a game like this since the 1980’s.

So as I play this game of minecraft, I can’t help notice that this game does and has a lot of things that I would like to see in any mmorpg style game, a real night and day cycle for one, I have yet to check out Wurm online still, although I have download it and installed it already, just haven’t had the chance to play it yet,(wonder why, lol)

So how goes your mining and do you have any stories to tell yet, I would luv to hear them, not to mention and hints or tips, recipes etc..

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Did these guys just release a spin off for Iphone called "mincrafted"?

Check it out it seems similar.

I plan to try this game just havent gotten around to it.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

So I bought this game last night, because of this thread pretty much.

I just came up for air.

So much frikkin fun!

Notch deserves all of the wealth he's been getting, and will continue to get from this game.

Thanks for the thread!

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

Ok just a heads up for me about Minecraft, it will be going into Beta on the 20th of December and the price will rise to $14.95 euro and all upgrades will not be free, only bug fixes, but those who bought the game while in Alpha will still get all updates free, so best get in now and get the game while it's still in alpha and very cheap.

Read here;

http://notch.tumblr.com/

or below,

Minecraft Beta: December 20, 2010

The next epoch is upon us! The skies are trembling, pigs are growing wings, and the nether is turning awfully cold, as Minecraft slowly crawls out of Alpha..

Minecraft will reach Beta status on December 20th, 2010.

With Beta comes a larger focus on polish and content, and we’ll start early on with adding proper modding support with a stable API, and we’d love all input we can get on this from the modders out there. We’ll also add some kind of non-intrusive narrative to the game to help drive the game experience early on, and to provide some kind of late game goal. There will be a bigger focus on testing and stability as well, with more time between updates.

When the game enters beta, the price will rise to 14.95 Euro.

We will also change the license to remove the line that promises all future versions of the game for free. Please note that this change only affects people who buy the game after December 20, so if you got the game for during alpha, you will still get all future updates for free, despite this change. A promise is a promise.

Buying the game during beta will include all updates up until release, of course, and bug patches will be free.

Soon, you will be able to buy gift codes for Minecraft, perfectly timed for the holidays! Even better, if you buy those before December 20, accounts created from these codes will count as alpha accounts, and will receive all future updates for free.

And the next game update (with server-side inventory) is coming next week, before Beta

Merry holidays happy! :D

Christmas is getting better and better!  :D

• DatarinDatarin Member CommonPosts: 164

Minecraft is the LEGO box your kid gives to you in twenty years, proclaiming, "I knew you loved it, so I'm going to bring it back for you in all its olden glory." And inside, there is an almost perfect full set replicas of every LEGO piece that has ever been made in existence.

I'm not kidding.

Forums: The best real-time interactive MMORPG you'll ever be in.