Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Themed duo for a couple?

meleemadnessmeleemadness Member Posts: 592

Howdy, just wondering what a good themed duo would be for a married couple.  By themed I mean like SK and INQ or both of the same or similiar race (WE and 1/2E). 

The duo does not have to be attractive to a group but does need to be able to take down the epic (I think thats what they are called) mobs for the AA points.  

I like melee combat and my wife likes to be at range.  She likes to do damage, heal and have pets but I am sure that is not all possible.  I prefer to do lots of melee damage and have good survivability or at least escape options.  I like plate but chain mail is nice too, not too keen on leather melee as they tend to be too squishy and relie on too many tricks.

Based on my research I was thinking of Swash or Brig for me and Mystic for her.  This sound good or would a SK and INQ  do better? 

Comments

• Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480

I haven't played for a while, but it sounds like Swashy/Warden might be a good duo for you two.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

SK is a good choice, since they're pretty strong and a tank class. As a healer, a defiler would be way better than a Inqi.

• OtiroOtiro Member Posts: 205

Originally posted by meleemadness

Howdy, just wondering what a good themed duo would be for a married couple.  By themed I mean like SK and INQ or both of the same or similiar race (WE and 1/2E). 

The duo does not have to be attractive to a group but does need to be able to take down the epic (I think thats what they are called) mobs for the AA points.  

I like melee combat and my wife likes to be at range.  She likes to do damage, heal and have pets but I am sure that is not all possible.  I prefer to do lots of melee damage and have good survivability or at least escape options.  I like plate but chain mail is nice too, not too keen on leather melee as they tend to be too squishy and relie on too many tricks.

Based on my research I was thinking of Swash or Brig for me and Mystic for her.  This sound good or would a SK and INQ  do better? 

Here is few suggestions for you;

Shadownight for you and Necromancer for your wife. I think you could be happy with this duo. Shadownights gets life taps to heal You also are melee and ranged damage. The necromancer gets pets, but also gets a couple of heal spells later on that they can use on anyone. They also get their own life taps. I think it would be a fun combination.

Shadownight,and a Fury. The reason I choose Fury over Warden is that Furies are more suited to Area Effect damage like the Shadownight. Fury have fast casting heals. And if Specked right can charm animals to fight for you. Although it does limit the Buffs Furies can use.

Beserker and any priest class. Beserkers do nice damage and can take a decent amount of hits. Add a priest for heals and damage from a distance, and you should fare well.

Swashbuckler and a Mystic. With the mystic;'s wards and heals, and the Swashies dps. this combo could work. However it will be the toughest to duo.

I personally have done the Swashy/Mystic duo for a couple of years. When doing most dungeons we needed it to be a little below our level to finish it. But we could get the dungeons done. Slowly due to waiting on the priests power to regen.

So while the choice is yours, I would suggest the SK/Necro the most. It would be a unique duo where I am sure you will be able to beat most (if not all) the heroic content.

As for duoing epics. Sorry, won't happen unless you grey them out. They are designed for Raids.

• meleemadnessmeleemadness Member Posts: 592

Ok, thanks for all the input....as for heroics, maybe they have a different name, the ^^^ mobs.

ANyway, when do Necros get heals and are they pretty good or fast cool down?  I take it I would tank and the Necro would use a DPS pet?  Oh, and are the heals AA based or lvl based spells?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Oh neat, so what do you duo in AoC and VAN?

Ok, thanks for all the input....as for heroics, maybe they have a different name, the ^^^ mobs.

ANyway, when do Necros get heals and are they pretty good or fast cool down?  I take it I would tank and the Necro would use a DPS pet?  Oh, and are the heals AA based or lvl based spells?

The ^^^ are called heroic mobs.  Heroic mobs can be an encounter of 3 or more (when placing your curser over them they will say heroic),.. ^ up,... ^^ up and ^^^ up. Are all called the same. Heroic mobs. Some mobs will have a Star after the ^^^'s These are named heroic mobs that offer extra AA xp.

Necro's healing are leveled base,And AA based. I also think They can add more to them from AA. As for around they they get the heals I believe they get the first one in the 20's.  Their heals are decent. although they take form the necro's health, So she would have to monitor both your health and hers.

For the first 20 levels, the necro only gets a tank pet. Then at 20 or 22 they get thier mage pet.  In the early 30's they get their scout pet.

As for how you play. You may find switching things up duing a battle or heroic dungeon can be most beneficial. For example, The necro could start the fight with their tank pet, with the Sk for dps then just switch, Sk tank and Necro dps and heal. In the latter levels, you may find that you pulled to much non-encounter agro. You could have the Necro have the pet hit the mob you want to fight, then both of you just feign death for a sec to clear the rest of the mobs. Then Get up and fight the mob the pet has.

With the abilities of both classes, battles can be as diverse as you want to make them. or as basic.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Interesting....

Hmm, she doesnt like things too complicated though.  A straight healer is something she doesnt mind doing. 

Do defilers have better synergy with SK or would an Inq have more synergy with their buffs/debuffs?  Also, I guess the Defiler would have more RANGED DPS than the Inq?

lol, we duo'd the same in AoC.

Interesting....

Hmm, she doesnt like things too complicated though.  A straight healer is something she doesnt mind doing. 

Do defilers have better synergy with SK or would an Inq have more synergy with their buffs/debuffs?  Also, I guess the Defiler would have more RANGED DPS than the Inq?

Well Both classes have ranged damage. The Inquisitor can speck in AA for melee if desired.

The Inquisitor has reactive heals and direct heals. So when you get heal you get healed with reactives for a certain amount of time, 5 times if I remember correctly.

The defilier has wards and direct heals.  Wards absorb the damage for a set amount. with one of them being regenative for a certain period of time or damage taken.

As far as buffs/debuffs go I'm not up on the defiler, Never played one. Have played Inquis though and the buffs/debuffs would help you both out.

Defilir wears chain armor while the Inq wears plate, so I think the Inq can take a little more damage.

But over all for Synergy I think I would go with the Inquisitor.

Can an INQ do any DPS if not spec'd melee and just using spells?  More so than a caster Defiler after taking into account of debuffs (SK debuffs as well).

Neither class that you asked about would be considered dps per say. while they both can do ranged damage they are not great at it.  They will hit for decent damage at higher levels and each will have about 5 or 6 damage spells. The preists that are consided dps for a priest are the Druid classes. Warden and Fury.

Defiliers and Inquisitors are more designed for buffs/debuffs.

The thing is a Shadownight can do enough damage to take out any heroic content with just a few heals.

You might want to have your wife play each class for a few levels to decide which one she may like.

Yea, she will have to test run an INQ and DEF on her own.  If SK survivability is that good she might try warlock too.  They do AOE disease type damage and that could help me down groups quicker. 

That seems like an option but don't know if it is better than having a healer.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Having your wife go with a Warlock is not a bad idea at all. They do massive damage with encounter and aoe's. They are diseased based. Mobs will drop fast. So the SK's survivabily will be very high.

I Know I'm going against what I just said, how ever, I think you might be better off with a priest though for higher level content. Alot of the content has stuns and Area effect  damage along with fears. Meaning you get stunned long enough or feared your wife will go down with just one or two hits being a warlock. Being a priest she will be able to remove that debuff placed on you to keep you in the fight.

If you would like her to do lots of damage espessialy at higher levels Have her go with a fury . Shadownights gets lots of aoe attacks, so does the fury at higher levels (2 are considered temp pets though they dont' look like pets. One is a fire carpet type, and a storm ball that travels around the fury).  While Furies don't get alot of debuffs they make up for it with damage and and AA abilities like thorns that heal or self reviving skills. They also get a group invis that helps getting around along with a 20% Run speed boost.  There buffs are desinged to make the tank more powerful in damage and in health. Also at level 35 they can get a buff called "Aspect of the Bat" which increases the in combat power regen of the persion she places it on. 

Fury AA's let them change animal form. 3 forms Tiger- does extra damage on mele hits. Wolf- increases critical hit of spells- and treant - Increases healing ability.  They also get some fun fluff spells like turning into a badger.

I know I have been all over the place on what might be good, and I'm sorry for that. Just trying to help.

• SirTSirT Member UncommonPosts: 16

I have to agree about the Fury.  My wife plays a Fury and loves them and I used to always play a melee class with her and we usually had no problems duoing. This time around on the new server I made a Warlock to duo with her Fury and we are just slamming mobs and sometimes taking down triple up heroics 3-5 levels above us.

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385

My wife and I play a PAL (here) and WARDEN (me).  We really never die with that much AC buff and healing power.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Originally posted by blueturtle13

Originally posted by Letsinod

My wife and I play a PAL (here) and WARDEN (me).  We really never die with that much AC buff and healing power.

Wardens are under rated I think. Fury love abounds it is a goof class but the Warden is great as well. Great defense with buffs and Shields, better than expected melee, one of the fastest run speeds in the game and serious heal over time ability that the Fury can not match.  

Wardens are not under rated at all. They are the best pure healer in the game and if specked for AA mele do great dps. They are probably the first priest class wanted for raids, and full groups. How ever for duoing they pale to the damage a fury can do since wardens only get 1 encounter damage where furies get aoe's. As for healing. Both have fast casting heals. Wardens are all heal over time, while the fury has direct heals with a couple of heals over time. They just seem to excell better when duoing to get his/her partner back to full health then continue doing damage.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Well, what will probably happen is we will have two duos.  One based on evil and plate and the other on nature and outdoors.  The first one we will try the SK and INQ and for the other it will be a Swash (or Brig) and Fury.  I thought of a warden/mystic both melee spec but I don't think she will like that one.  I think between my wards and her hots and our melee DPS we could rape (she hates when I say that).  Anyway, The Scout and priest combo is still up in the air.  I know she would like the fury but from a selfish aspect, does the mystic have better buffs for me as a scout? 

Lastly, I think we might do a Warlock/Necro clothie duo just for kicks later on.  What I like to do is get at least 6 characters so we can have all the major crafting done.  We will spend a lot of time with xp going to AAs so we can hit all the zone, all of them!  That will give us plenty of time to get our gathering skills up as well as the rares for MC items.  She loves gathering, particularly the collection quests (says Im cheating if I pick up a "?" before her!) so there will be plenty to do....that is one thing I love about this game, the amount and types of quests there are.

Anyway, thanks for all the input. 

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Unless you consider yourselves to be "top tier" players, keep in mind that any duo that's not tank + healer will be more difficult to take out heroic mobs and do group stuff on.  Yes, you CAN do well with all kinds of wacky set ups, I have friends that duo on Warlock and Conjurer and take down whole group zones.  But they're extremely well outfitted and some of the best players I've met.

My advice for new players - stick to tank and healer.  For "themed" combinations:

(Also keep in mind that at low levels, none of the healers (except maybe fury) do good DPS.  DPS comes to healers at higher levels)

SK + INQ = really good combo, both classes have additional dps and can take hits.  SK has evac and FD, two useful utility skills.

SK + Defiler = also really good.  a lot more survivability, plus nearly unlimited power on defiler, which will be very important if you're DUOing heroics and doing long fights.  Less dps than on inquis.  

Brawler (Bruiser/Monk) + Shaman (Defiler/Mystic) = another great combo.  Bruisers and Monks have a good combination of tanking and DPS, they also have FD and self-heals that will get you out of many a jam. Plus, they're great for picking up those shineys!   Being avoidance type tanks, they naturally combo with shamans as wards soak whatever damage isn't avoided.  For "theme", you can pick a tribal-type race such as Iksars or Frogloks and the combo would make a lot of sense.

Those are the best Duo combos.  There are obviously other good ones and two good players can make virtually any two classes seem unbeatable.  But if you want a leg up, use one of these combos.

Other decent tank+healer combos:

Paladin + Fury = Pally has of heals of their own, so a fury's weaker healing won't be an issue and the fury can take advantage of its high dps potential.  Plus a druid is great for traveling!

Guardian + Fury = same thing, only instead of pally's heals you get Guardian's badass defensive/survival abilities.

If you're going to ignore my advice and go with a non-tank/healer combo, couple of key points:

If you're going to tank on a scout, best to combo with a shaman for most heals.   Don't pick ranger for DUOing.

If you're doing to 2 mages, make sure you know who's gonna be tanking (and can they hold aggro of the other?) as well as what crowd control you have at your disposal.

2 scouts are probably hardest to DUO.

2 healers will take forever to kill stuff - no matter which healers.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

Two scouts would be fun...I thought of a brig and assasin but realized it wouldn't really work as well.

I personally like shaman and my wife likes druids.  One option I was thining was a melee mystic and melee warden but you say it would take too long to kill......

I really do like the SK/INQ duo but at higher lvls I know I would be left out, particularly if we were to join a raiding guild.  

Just wish they had beast lords......oops, Im not allowed to say that.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Two scouts would be fun...I thought of a brig and assasin but realized it wouldn't really work as well.

Well, it could work at least until the last expansion if your brig use the tank speccing for it (well, my Swashie have one and I am pretty sure but not 100% Brigs have it too). Then you have one that could work as meatshield while still doing acceptable DPS and one that is sqeushie but can make great spike DPS.

I think with the right speccing it would actually work pretty fine. It would take that your Brig have matercrafted armor (or fabled) and changes as often as possible of course.